So, am I getting another $3900 check? Should I?

Wulaw Horn

I understand why the used 2019 tax info, and I believe 2018 for the last go-around for people that hadn't yet filed 2019.  But what about people that have jumped over the 75K AGI line in either direction over the past years? Someone could have earned 100k last year but have been out of work this entire year. Or the reverse where someone may have earned 70k last year but is rocking along at 150k in 2020. The stimulus is going to the wrong people in these scenarios. 

Unfortunately I understand that they can't real-time account for all scenarios but is this cleaned up with the 2020 tax submittal?   The 150k person should get the stimulus check charged back when calculating their 2020 taxes. Will they?

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I understand why the used 2019 tax info, and I believe 2018 for the last go-around for people that hadn't yet filed 2019.  But what about people that have jumped over the 75K AGI line in either direction over the past years? Someone could have earned 100k last year but have been out of work this entire year. Or the reverse where someone may have earned 70k last year but is rocking along at 150k in 2020. The stimulus is going to the wrong people in these scenarios. 

Unfortunately I understand that they can't real-time account for all scenarios but is this cleaned up with the 2020 tax submittal?   The 150k person should get the stimulus check charged back when calculating their 2020 taxes. Will they?

From what I remember of the first go around, if you didn't qualify based on 2018 AGI (too much money) or 2019 AGI (hadn't filed yet) but would have qualified for 2020 AGI due to COVID, you will get it next year after you submit your taxes. 

Other way around - no, you do not have to give or pay it back if you earned over $75k in 2020 (based on 2021 tax filings). 

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, trauma babe said:

The whole "I traveled the country in an RV during a pandemic" flex is fucking insane and so out of touch. But what else is new.

Nah. That ain't no flex.

If he'd traveled to Argentina in a restored VW Camper Van with multiple replacement parts for the #3 cylinder, and a cute revolutionary profesora from the UNAM who trained their pack of chihuauas to wear tutus and dance for pesos at shade-tree rest stops, that'd be a flex.

Now I'm off to scream at that Marie Antoinette Troph.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

What’s so bad about self-containing and quarantining with your immediate family and driving around and camping remotely away from people? Sounds just as safe as dealing with a multitude of Uber eats drivers and hanging around a populated city center. I’m reminded of the folks who tried to shame all the NY’ers for ditching the City when it got really bad for their lake houses and second homes in New England cottagecore.

Its a weird flex, as it were sure, but it’s also weird to deride someone for it, too.

Traveling the country in an RV during a pandemic is absolutely privileged. So is working from your couch in your underwear with Cheeto dust in your lap or even attending Zoom meetings with your toddler climbing all over you. Considering the circumstances, I don’t see how any of those behaviors are particularly irresponsible, even if we disagree with someone politically.

The problem with how we discuss “privilege” is that it’s framed as something to be taken away rather than what should be the default. The things that we called privileged these days should be the social norm. More, not fewer, people should have been able to spend the summer working from their RV in the Branson, MO parking lot.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mole said:

Traveling the country in an RV during a pandemic is absolutely privileged. So is working from your couch in your underwear with Cheeto dust in your lap or even attending Zoom meetings with your toddler climbing all over you. Considering the circumstances, I don’t see how any of those behaviors are particularly irresponsible, even if we disagree with someone politically.

The problem with how we discuss “privilege” is that it’s framed as something to be taken away rather than what should be the default. The things that we called privileged these days should be the social norm. More, not fewer, people should have been able to spend the summer working from their RV in the Branson, MO parking lot.

Thank you for being a rationale voice. I was confused why we were shitting on someone for RVing. Sounds like a pretty awesome way to maintain he and his family's sanity while still taking distancing precautions. I've been camping and boating as much as possible this year (in between Zoom meetings with Cheeto dust and the toddler). I realize that I'm relatively fortunate, but I'd be pretty irked if someone tried to shame me for it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mole said:

Sitting on my couch doing zoom meetings and eating Cheetos (i prefer pretzels) is not the same as traveling the country, interacting with people in other states with varying degrees of public health mitigation measures at gas stations, convenience stores, grocery stores, mechanic shops, restaurants, etc.  

Unless they literally never left the RV for any reason whatsoever on their cross country tour, it is more irresponsible than staying home. We all had to make sacrifices this year. 

Eh, people RVing and camping doesn’t really bother me. Hell, we could’ve fucking given every family an RV and told them to knock themselves out for two or three months doing whatever they wanted so long as restaurants and bars were closed and it would’ve been better than what we did. Every Buccees would’ve been an absolute shitshow, but that’s already been the case...

The bigger problem isn’t the “hey my family and I went on road trips,” so much as the blithe context in which it was delivered (seemingly ignoring the utter devastation covid has wrought on many families because hey, we still got to watch football).

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

anyway, house passes $2000 checks under the suspend the rules 2/3 majority requirement with 44 republicans in support.  now it's off to cocaine mitch to die.

Trump is retweeting Lindsey Graham supporting the $2,000 checks, so it might at least come up for a vote.  Depends on the polling numbers out of Georgia that Mitch is seeing.  That's his #1 priority right now.

And hell, if Mitch fucks this up, and those Georgia seats flip, then on January 21st, the Dems will push through something more than another one-time payment.

So Mitch can allow something through now, that he has some control over, or he can fuck around and find out, and watch as something he doesn't have control over is pushed through and signed by Biden in four weeks.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump is retweeting Lindsey Graham supporting the $2,000 checks, so it might at least come up for a vote.  Depends on the polling numbers out of Georgia that Mitch is seeing.  That's his #1 priority right now.

And hell, if Mitch fucks this up, and those Georgia seats flip, then on January 21st, the Dems will push through something more than another one-time payment.

So Mitch can allow something through now, that he has some control over, or he can fuck around and find out, and watch as something he doesn't have control over is pushed through and signed by Biden in four weeks.

He’s retweeting lady G talking about 230 and voter fraud being in the same vote. It all boils down to messaging now. Senate Rs might pass the full bill if they hurry but it fails in the house. Then it is whoever is louder and more organized in messaging. That usually favors Rs. But passing the clean bill with 44 Rs is a HR for Pelosi. 

Edited by Dr. Teeth

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Like.... stimulating the economy? During a downturn? Or paying off cc debt incurred because of a fucking pandemic forcing people to float bills? 

Let some of the Rs run with that, see how it plays in Georgia if Perdue and Loeffler have to defend that.  Atlanta and other areas were hit pretty hard with covid and covid-related expenses, but sure, let Brady bitch that somebody is going to buy a Nintendo or something, rather than try to get out of debt or keep a roof over their head.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man I swear to God it's amazing how the Republicans have pulled off, flawlessly to boot, the con of getting poor people to hate and look down upon other poor people. I know it's been discussed here before but it just constantly blows my mind. I guess being stupid is why they stay poor.

"Can't have those welfare queens paying off their credit card debt that was undoubtedly acquired buying lobster and drugs!", says local woman, hoping she has enough left from her social security check this month to make the layaway payment on her 80 inch TV.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Man I swear to God it's amazing how the Republicans have pulled off, flawlessly to boot, the con of getting poor people to hate and look down upon other poor people. I know it's been discussed here before but it just constantly blows my mind. I guess being stupid is why they stay poor.

GOP just convinces poor whites that they’re superior to poor minorities because, REASONS 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Come here to post the Brady idiocy. Not only do some on the right agree with supply side economics, they believe it is the only method to help America. Give as much money as possible to the richest, and they will create eventually jobs. But it’s never been proven to be true at the macro level.

I actually think giving many people 2k, or more with family, will strongly encourage people to spend, pay bills, lower debt, etc. 

now I think that creating another half-trillion dollars out of thin air is a bad, long term idea but that ship has sailed. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

now I think that creating another half-trillion dollars out of thin air is a bad, long term idea but that ship has sailed. 

Which is why we should have had the conversation about all of the foreign aid, albeit in a completely separate bill (separate in that it wasn't lumped into an omnibus bill with covid aid), much of which was pushed by the White House and Republicans.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I like how he’s still clinging to this. I guarantee his entire understanding of 230 is “it will punish Twitter”.  

It's not Twitter he wants to punish, it's TikTok who is in his sights.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Eh, people RVing and camping doesn’t really bother me. Hell, we could’ve fucking given every family an RV and told them to knock themselves out for two or three months doing whatever they wanted so long as restaurants and bars were closed and it would’ve been better than what we did. Every Buccees would’ve been an absolute shitshow, but that’s already been the case...

The bigger problem isn’t the “hey my family and I went on road trips,” so much as the blithe context in which it was delivered (seemingly ignoring the utter devastation covid has wrought on many families because hey, we still got to watch football).

This is what I was trying to get across, but was ranting too much.  I honestly think it was the obtuseness of comparing Covid and all the other crap 2020 gave us to having to endure a mediocre coach hand UT another crap football season.   Much as I like the Horns,  Herman does not belong in this mix.   I gather it was supposed to be a joke, but it came off as extremely privileged.  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Is there any other reason to not give people $2000 other than fuck the poor? Legitimately, am I missing some economics angle here?

That the money won't trickle up fast enough, PPP loans work much better for the grifters.

Edited by pyrohornIII

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Man I swear to God it's amazing how the Republicans have pulled off, flawlessly to boot, the con of getting poor people to hate and look down upon other poor people.

It dates back before the Republicans or the United States to at least Colonial Virginia. The Republicans just ran with what was already there.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's all good until we nationalize the banks and forfeit on our debt. Then we'll all get nice chunky $1000 brass coins we can use to buy a Co-Cola. But on the upside it'll be like the 80s in Mexico, and maybe my hair will reappear, like, on my head this time.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I am interested to see what tactic(s) he will use if the senate does not take this up. 

I think he’s going to block the NDAA veto override and force Loeffler and Perdue to stay in DC and off the trail 

50 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's all good until we nationalize the banks and forfeit on our debt. Then we'll all get nice chunky $1000 brass coins we can use to buy a Co-Cola. But on the upside it'll be like the 80s in Mexico, and maybe my hair will reappear, like, on my head this time.

Posts like this along with your avatar quite amuse me.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Posts like this along with your avatar quite amuse me.

Thanks man. You may enjoy knowing that the avatar was quite likely drawn in Sharpie marker at the Posse East, next to a pitcher of beer.

I didn't always have much to live on, but I always had beer money.

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

And that's why I still like the ornery old man

Yep.  Defense lobbyists are going to be screaming at Mitch to do the $2,000 vote so they can get the veto of the $660 Billion (or whatever it is) overridden, Perdue and Loeffler are going to be begging Mitch to do something to help them out, Trump is going to be screaming at Mitch to do the vote, and threatening to get on twitter if Mitch doesn't.

I put it at a 50%-75% chance of happening, leaning towards 75%.

Pelosi did her job, and even got quite a few Republicans on board.  Now everybody is watching Mitch.

Edited by atomheartbevo

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  Defense lobbyists are going to be screaming at Mitch to do the $2,000 vote so they can get the VETO of the $660 Billion (or whatever it is) overridden, Perdue and Loeffler are going to be begging Mitch to do something to help them out, Trump is going to be screaming at Mitch to do the vote, and threatening to get on twitter if Mitch doesn't.

I put it at a 50%-75% chance of happening, leaning towards 75%.

Pelosi did her job, and even got quite a few Republicans on board.  Now everybody is watching Mitch.

Mitch doesn't have much room to maneuver.

This was noon, before Bern threw down.

The headline is in reference to Trump. He definitely doesn't give a shit about Perdue and Loeffler. Mitch has to do what? Whose ox is going to get gored?

Either vote to massively increase the national debt -- by giving $1,400 more to every qualifying individual in the country -- or vote against what is much-needed money for people who have been devastated by the economic effects of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

So, either violate a bedrock principle of conservatism (the government is spending us into unmanageable debt!) or be attacked as heartless by Democrats. It's a lose-lose. Bigly. Especially if you are Sens. Kelly Loeffler or David Perdue, both locked in tight runoff races on January 5. Both incumbent Republicans need base conservatives with them to win, so a vote for more government spending isn't a good one

11 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Mitch doesn't have much room to maneuver.

This was noon, before Bern threw down.

I honestly am thinking Trump does not give one shit if Mitch loses the Senate to the Dems.  In fact, Trump may think it's fitting that if he's losing the White House, then Mitch should lose his Senate Majority leadership position as well - kind of a "fuck you, you didn't kiss my ass enough at the end and even congratulated Biden, I'm losing, so you're going down with me!"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

He was born on a napkin. They had wanted some other character, who knows, mighta been cool. But what they wanted wasn't a French Armadillo with a cigarette and attitude. So I drew them that instead.

IIRC his back story is he fell asleep in a box in Houston, and ended up on a flight to France, where he grew up. Later, deported to Texas, he doubled down on the French snob aspect. The website is still active and includes an Aggy squirrel.

https://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/

I would pay to watch the adventures of Tex and Tammi.  And especially Bette.

• Hook 'Em 2