So, am I getting another $3900 check? Should I?

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They should have applied for a gender fluidity study, they'd have received millions....

Better yet, make them study the fluidity of the true/false scale so they can better ascertain the veracity of claims regarding the timing of a "state of emergency" declaration by the governor of Virginia.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah $600 for each family is really gonna make a difference compared to the billions being given to people who aren't even American citizens. More reasons why every member of congress who voted yes for the last proposal should be removed from office. The last round cost of stimulus will end up costing  tax payers $6000 each.  What's the bill for this round ?

Clearly the solution is to create more homeless people. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Clearly the solution is to create more homeless people. 

"Home" is a social construct. The things we call houses are relatively recent inventions. Did cavemen live in multi-gabled McMansions in sterile HOA-squabbling separated-from-actual-town wastelands? No. They lived in cozy caves, with nice fresh meat grazing right outside. So, don't all US citizens own Federal land in common? And aren't there several nice caves on that Federal land? I say get thee to a cave, falsely-labeled homeless person.

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Nancy and Chuck daring The Greasy Kentucky FuckTurtle to be The Grinch!

Chuck clearly having to be explained the politics of calling Trump's bluff here after initially tweeting last night that Trump should sign the current bill has melted my brain. He's beyond fucking stupid and it's insane that he keeps getting elected leader of the Dem caucus. In the House there's a legitimate concern that, as bad as Pelosi has been the past few years, there really aren't any better candidates for Speaker, but there's plenty of good Democratic Senators who could replace Chuck and do much better.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

It should not be means tested.

A cash infusion to a sector (humans) needs to flow through all channels. Always aim for a smooth takeoff and soft landing during deflation. Most of this money will go toward preventing a stagnant rental segment - in the hope that millions of jobs will return. This is not enough - but it is scaleable for sticky segments in the U.S. economy. 

Light that candle.

Reveal hidden contents

You don't have to spend it. If you want to give it back, buy government bonds - I am serious. It helps the nation and it is guaranteed. 

Means testing is not needed. A vocal segment sees that as a trifle. It's a lifeline for so many more. 

This is liftoff for the economy - we need enough reserve fuel to get there - very sticky launch

Agreed and great post.

also, at a time like this, when our economy and citizens are struggling is not the time to continue being a “global savior”.  Fuck Israel/Pakistan/etc.  This is one of those times where the US should worry about our citizens first and to hell with all the special interests/foreign favors.  Tell them we’ll get back to them when we can but for now we got our own shit to worry about. (Wishful thinking, huh?)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

It should not be means tested.

A cash infusion to a sector (humans) needs to flow through all channels. Always aim for a smooth takeoff and soft landing during deflation. Most of this money will go toward preventing a stagnant rental segment - in the hope that millions of jobs will return. This is not enough - but it is scaleable for sticky segments in the U.S. economy. 

Light that candle.

Reveal hidden contents

You don't have to spend it. If you want to give it back, buy government bonds - I am serious. It helps the nation and it is guaranteed. 

Means testing is not needed. A vocal segment sees that as a trifle. It's a lifeline for so many more. 

This is liftoff for the economy - we need enough reserve fuel to get there - very sticky launch

Double post.  Fuck you Tom Herman. ou sux

Edited by CowboyFred

it has absolutely nothing to do with concern for the debt. it has to do with your sense of self worth being wrapped up in being more comparatively worthy of comfort than those less fortunate than you. Therefore an attempt to ease the suffering of those who are struggling is an attack on your worth. They are your tax dollars after all and not theirs (since they are not good Americans who work hard and contribute like you are).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So how do I get in on that racket?

Same way as always.  Offer the POTUS some graft, offer the right committee chairmen a long-term setup with a quality hooker, that sort of thing.

Or, in the case of many of these foreign countries...have a valuable geopolitical position that the US wants to use to its advantage.  

There's always some quid-pro-quo in every large spending bill.  Some of it is the kind of stuff that nation states do -- I'll send country X some aid, and in return, that country will share intel and such with me.  Some of it is marginally legal ordinary political corruption.  Some may actually be illegal.

But the bad graft is rarely the nickel and dime stuff we're talking about.  It's the favors that have multi-billion dollar upsides for an industry or set of players that are harder to see clearly.

I do agree with AOC -- it's absurd that Congress gets these bills to members a couple of hours before an up-down vote.  I am not excusing the way Congress operates.  I'm just suggesting that we focus on the big shit first, not the nickels and dimes.

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They should have applied for a gender fluidity study, they'd have received millions....

Do you ever get tired of having your kids and family avoid eye contact when you start speaking? Do you really think there is something more interesting on the floor or outside the window?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Trump is attacking Georgia Republicans again.  On top of the stimulus stuff, this is going to be an interesting few weeks.  Me thinks Mitch will push something through quickly to get Trump to shut up and keep Georgia's Senate seats.

After all, if Mitch and Donnie fuck around, and no relief or stimulus goes out, and Donnie keeps attacking Georgia's Republicans, the Dems might as well say "vote for Democrats on January 6 and give us control of the Senate, and we'll get those stimulus checks going the day Biden is sworn in!"

Plenty of people will show up and vote if they think they will get larger stimulus checks or business relief or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wrap whatever up in enough Jesusyness and Wulaw and people like him will clap and bark like a seal for it.

Yeah. And add in gullible myopic white male Bernie Bros who refuse to see any issue without filtering it through their worldview.

Josh Hawley is Trump in a socially acceptable package.

I’ll let someone smarter than me explain why Hawley is arguably much more dangerous than Trump.

This is nonsense. Yes, Hawley is no Ted Cruz or Rand Paul. And, yes, “Trumpism without Trump” is a good line. But, in fact, most of the available evidence suggests that Hawley, like Trump, is a fraud and an opportunist.

Anti-elitist? Hawley may constantly rail against “elites” and talk up his own “small-town” background, as he did in a much-discussed keynote address to the National Conservatism conference last July, but he himself is the son of a banker and a graduate of two of this country’s most elite universities, Stanford and Yale. Following Stanford, he went to teach at one of England’s most prestigious private schools, St. Paul’s; following Yale, he went to work for one of the world’s biggest law firms, Hogan Lovells. He met his wife while clerking for Supreme Court Justice John Roberts. Josh is no regular Joe.

Anti-tech crusader? The Missouri senator, as Stoller and others point out, has joined with progressives like Sen. Elizabeth Warren to lambast big tech for its “business model of addiction.” Warren, however, goes after Facebook and Google because she wants to curb their financial and monopoly power; Hawley goes after them not just because of their economic clout but also because, like every other elected Republican, he thinks they’re mean to conservatives. In 2019, the GOP senator introduced a deeply flawed bill to challenge their alleged political bias and even stopped by at Trump’s ridiculous White House Social Media Summit to address an audience of far-right extremists and conspiracy theorists. (For the record, there is zero empirical evidence of an anti-conservative bias on the major social media platforms.)

Economic populist? His boosters on the left point to legislation that Hawley has introduced to try and tackle the electronic gaming industry, drug pricing, and college debt. But how do such (worthy) bills stack up against the rest of Hawley’s policies and positions? Wouldn’t you expect an economic populist to back higher wages and stronger labor unions? While running for the Senate, Hawley opposed ballot measures to raise the minimum wage for Missouri workers and to get rid of the state’s “right-to-work” legislation. (Thankfully, a majority of Missourians disagreed with him on both measures!)

Wouldn’t you expect an economic populist to try and guarantee health care for low-paid workers? As Missouri’s attorney general, Hawley joined a lawsuit brought by 20 GOP-led states aimed at overturning the Affordable Care Act, including its protections for people with preexisting conditions. He then campaigned for his Senate seat while claiming that he would protect such people.

Wouldn’t you expect an economic populist to challenge America’s oligarchy? While running for the Senate, Hawley took donations from right-wing billionaires such as the Koch brothers, Peter Thiel, and Bernie Marcus, while enthusiastically endorsing Trump’s tax cuts for the superrich as “the right way forward”.

Hawley is a faux-populist. Nevertheless, he is a threat to the left because, like far-right ethno-nationalists in Europe such as Marine Le Pen and Viktor Orbán, he spins his reactionary welfare chauvinism as concern for the working poor. Hawley advocates for deep cuts to legal immigration and then — like Stephen Miller, Tucker Carlson, Steve Bannon, and others on the U.S. far right — pretends they will help the “great American middle.” (They won’t.) This proud evangelical Christian and culture warrior — who has a rather alarming and theocratic vision for the United States — even backed Trump’s horrific “zero tolerance” policy at the border in 2018, which led to the kidnapping and caging of migrant kids.

There is nothing moderate or nuanced about Hawley’s — as opposed to Trump’s — brand of conservative nationalism. Last July, Jewish groups denounced him for his obsession with “cosmopolitan elites” — a longstanding anti-Semitic dog whistle — in his National Conservatism speech. His keynote also referenced “cosmopolitan” Jewish academics by name, as well as “money changing on Wall Street.” Yet three months later, the Missouri senator slammed a Jewish journalist — Greg Sargent of the Washington Post — as a “smug, rich liberal elitist.”

So don’t be fooled, progressives. Josh Hawley is not your friend. He may be polished and persuasive, well-read and well-groomed, but he remains your standard right-wing wolf in the clothing of a populist sheep.

Remember: Trumpism without Trump is still Trumpism.

Hawley is educated and organized Trumpism dressed up like a Midwest banker with an acceptable Twitter feed.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Maybe not practical, but I'd like to see everybody get a gift card for 300-500, whatever, that only works at restaurants.   You give me a check; it's not going to impact my consumption much, if at all.  

Poor folks will pay the electric bill, put tires on the car, whatever.   

Spending money at restaurants, not that's a way to stimulate the economy. 

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No, it's not good. It's really really bad for millions and millions of people.

That aspect is bad.  This (and more) should have happened months ago.  

But it’s good that this is going to force plenty of Republicans to publicly admit who they are, with a bonus of Trump bashing those Republicans who defy him.

There are plenty in Georgia who are hurting and Republicans are potentially going to fuck around and not get anything passed, and find out just how many are hurting. Just in time for the runoff’s.   

This is the CNN headline: “House GOP kills bid for $2,000 stimulus checks” just as all of the stuff about foreign aid is coming out.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 12/23/2020 at 8:33 AM, Armybrat said:

If they are in Pakistan, go for it! 😃

(I hope this is fake news)

DA886F9B-40D5-47E2-9ACF-ECAC16065891.jpeg

It is all bullshit. The COVID relief package was passed together with an omnibus spending bill to fund the government. They are two separate things and shouldn’t be conflated. Surprise surprise, there’s foreign aid and assistance funding in an omnibus spending bill. 

It’s much better policy to just fund the government via continuing resolutions indefinitely, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It is all bullshit. The COVID relief package was passed together with an omnibus spending bill to fund the government. They are two separate things and shouldn’t be conflated. Surprise surprise, there’s foreign aid and assistance funding in an omnibus spending bill. 

It’s much better policy to just fund the government via continuing resolutions indefinitely, I guess. 

And that shit in the omnibus Bill is what the Trump admin asked for, almost dollar for dollar! 

I get it and am cool with poor people making fun of getting a free $600. But the question I have is, What’s the threshold from righteously making fun of a socially unacceptable amount of money? I think I’m hearing $2k? So just give poor people $2k and if they cry about that then we can call them entitled and ungrateful.

That would be my approach, but I also understand scope creep and slippery slopes.

• Fuck You 2

Nancy is going to force all the House GOP on the record going against Trump. UC would have just sent it straight to the Senate with no debate or tough votes. 

POTUS gonna fire up that Twitter Monday for whoever House Republicans defy him