Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

I don't agree, but it's certainly a popular and defensible position.  
For me, George was the best all-around musician in The Beatles.

He’s my #2. Paul is one of the greatest bass players of all time, and a hell of a drummer/piano player/guitarist too.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He’s my #2. Paul is one of the greatest bass players of all time, and a hell of a drummer/piano player/guitarist too.

Agreed.  I'd agree that Paul was the best musician on certain instruments...obviously bass, and probably both drums and guitar.  But I always thought George was the most well-rounded.  He was at a minimum proficient on the broadest set of instruments, brought the sounds of India to the world, wrote great lyrics and music, plus had a decent voice.

I'd argue Paul's writing was "limited" to musical composition, and great hooks, but sucked at writing unique lyrics.  John was a lyrical genius, but sucked at musical composition.  

George could do it all and that's why, for me, his solo stuff was much better than either Paul or John...and of course Ringo.

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Reminds me of the quote when Paul was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, and Paul replied that he's not even the best drummer in The Beatles.

That quote is typically attributed to Lennon, and it's been debunked as having never been said by him.  I don't think I've ever seen that quote attributed to Macca. 

I have read that Ringo did get upset with Paul during the White Album sessions when McCartney was critical of his drumming on a particular track, but in general McCartney has praised Ringo's drumming on several occasions over the years as being "rock solid" and exactly what the Beatles needed.

That said, I agree with you that Ringo was nowhere near the best musician in the Beatles.  That honor goes to McCartney, and it isn't a close call.  

Posted (edited)

The only thing worse than Steely Dan's music is their fans.   It's total dogshit, and, much like Rush fans, SD fans go full Derka in an attempt to make you "see the light" that they're great. 

No dude, they fucking blow. 

And you get extra-asshole points if, at any point, you refer to them as "The Dan".

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

You also are doing this thread correctly.  

You're absolutely wrong, but I love the fact that you don't let that stop you.  Pos rep to you.

Am I?  Apparently it's an unpopular opinion to you... I mean that's the tread title.

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Not sure what that means.  But more than that, I don't care.

You seem a tad peeved.  I'm not sure why.  Like I said, you're doing this thread the right way by expressing an unpopular opinion, and I even threw some rep your way for doing so.  

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

You seem a tad peeved.  I'm not sure why.  Like I said, you're doing this thread the right way by expressing an unpopular opinion, and I even threw some rep your way for doing so.  

Not mad.  Just genuinely confused, but too stoned to care.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I don't agree, but it's certainly a popular and defensible position.  

For me, George was the best all-around musician in The Beatles.

I like George's Beatles catalog better than any of the other Beatles', but I don't see how anyone can put anyone above Paul as the best all-around musician in the Beatles. He played every instrument that the others played, often better than they did (drums on Dear Prudence, guitar solo on Taxman). His bass playing revolutionized the instrument in a rock band, he wrote songs on piano, ukulele, synth, bass, guitar. His vocal range far exceeded George's. Someone might like George's style, or feel, or songwriting better...but as far as straight musicianship, there's just no comparison between Paul and any of the other Beatles.

Edited by honolulu horn
I see yall already talked this out. Soooo...yeah.

Agreed.  I'd agree that Paul was the best musician on certain instruments...obviously bass, and probably both drums and guitar.  But I always thought George was the most well-rounded.  He was at a minimum proficient on the broadest set of instruments, brought the sounds of India to the world, wrote great lyrics and music, plus had a decent voice.
I'd argue Paul's writing was "limited" to musical composition, and great hooks, but sucked at writing unique lyrics.  John was a lyrical genius, but sucked at musical composition.  
George could do it all and that's why, for me, his solo stuff was much better than either Paul or John...and of course Ringo.

I love George, so I’m not really gonna argue. Your argument is definitely defensible. Especially considering he had the most important solo album of any Beatle and he was a fucking Wilbury.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The only thing worse than Steely Dan's music is their fans.   It's total dogshit, and, much like Rush fans, SD fans go full Derka in an attempt to make you "see the light" that they're great. 

No dude, they fucking blow. 

And you get extra-asshole points if, at any point, you refer to them as "The Dan".

Now this is how the thread is done.

I'll never waste my time trying to get people who hate a band to like it.  If it doesn't click for you, me going full Derka is only going to make you dig in harder.  Long live The Dan.

• Like 1

Bass player in my sometimes band loves the Dan. Hates Tom Petty. All around great guy, really good bass player, insanely cool Fodera basses. But I always kinda think he should be arrested for those opinions.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/28/2024 at 10:18 AM, tbone_ said:

But to me the thing about music is that when you bring the right pieces together 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 > 4. For the Beatles 1+1+1+1=~27. 

the Pixies are like this but it's .3+.5+.1+.1 = 6

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Bass player in my sometimes band loves the Dan. Hates Tom Petty. All around great guy, really good bass player, insanely cool Fodera basses. But I always kinda think he should be arrested for those opinions.

This is honestly the first time I've ever heard of someone hating Tom Petty.

Growing up he was always the guy that everyone liked no matter if they were a metalhead, country listening hick, wannabe rapper, or general rock/pop fan.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I hated Tom Petty when I was younger. Then I wised up and realized I had been a dumbass all those years. 

I wouldn’t say I hated him, but I actually walked out of ACL in ‘06 right before his set started because I just wasn’t a fan (was a freshman in college). I still regret that decision to this day as I ended up becoming a huge fan over the years. Thankfully I got to see him at the FEC in ‘17. 

27 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I wouldn’t say I hated him, but I actually walked out of ACL in ‘06 right before his set started because I just wasn’t a fan (was a freshman in college). I still regret that decision to this day as I ended up becoming a huge fan over the years. Thankfully I got to see him at the FEC in ‘17. 

At least you had some redemption. And you got to see some great stuff he put out between 06-17. 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:44 PM, honolulu horn said:

I hated Tom Petty when I was younger. Then I wised up and realized I had been a dumbass all those years. 

I can't remember not loving Tom Petty.  When I was in pre-school ('89-'90) Full Moon Fever had just come out, my Dad was wearing it out on the tape deck in the car, and one day in class when the teachers asked us to sing nursery rhymes, I claimed I didn't know any and instead sang "Free Fallin'" which lead to my mom getting a fairly stern scolding from the teacher.

Loving Tom Petty's music has been a part of my very literal entire consciousness, so it's very hard for me to to wrap my head around someone hating it, or even mildly disliking it.

I can't remember not loving Tom Petty.  When I was in pre-school ('89-'90) Full Moon Fever had just come out, my Dad was wearing it out on the tape deck in the car, and one day in class when the teachers asked us to sing nursery rhymes, I claimed I didn't know any and instead sang "Free Fallin'" which lead to my mom getting a fairly stern scolding from the teacher.
Loving Tom Petty's music has been a part of my very literal entire consciousness, so it's very hard for me to to wrap my head around someone hating it, or even mildly disliking it.

JFC I was a senior on the 40 when Full Moon Fever came out.

My first real intro to Petty was when we got cable in the 8th grade in about 82 and this video was all over MTV

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was an undergrad when Full Moon Fever came out. I had never cared for his 70s catalog, but FMF totally changed my opinion on Tom Petty -- so much so that I started liking his earlier catalog. Funny how that can happen. Been a fan ever since. 

Oh, and fuck you for the "I was in preschool when FMF was released" comment. Asshole. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

First, gotdam you're young.

Second, I liked, but didn't love, Tom Petty growing up in the 1980s, and I was an MTV kid who watched all of his videos.  But I fell in love with Tom Petty when Learning to Fly came out the summer before my senior year in high school.  Something about that song in that moment in my life just hit me, and it's stayed with me since.  It's one of my favorite songs of all time.  And subsequently his greatest hits album was an iconic part of the soundtrack of my college years.

When he died, I was much sadder than I thought I might be, and I'll always regret never seeing him live.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

First, gotdam you're young.

Second, I liked, but didn't love, Tom Petty growing up in the 1980s, and I was an MTV kid who watched all of his videos.  But I fell in love with Tom Petty when Learning to Fly came out the summer before my senior year in high school.  Something about that song in that moment in my life just hit me, and it's stayed with me since.  It's one of my favorite songs of all time.  And subsequently his greatest hits album was an iconic part of the soundtrack of my college years.

When he died, I was much sadder than I thought I might be, and I'll always regret never seeing him live.

Saw him in Omaha on my 25th birthday.  Drive-By Truckers opened.  It was an absolute dream bill and an amazing show.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, pre full moon fever Petty is the best Petty

Don’t come around here no more
Listen to her heart
The Waiting
Refugee
Here comes my girl
Even the losers
Don’t do me like that
Breakdown
And of course American Girl

Are you kidding me? I’m leaving out a bunch but that’s a HOF career just with those songs.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Also, pre full moon fever Petty is the best Petty

Don’t come around here no more
Listen to her heart
The Waiting
Refugee
Here comes my girl
Even the losers
Don’t do me like that
Breakdown
And of course American Girl

Are you kidding me? I’m leaving out a bunch but that’s a HOF career just with those songs.

Counterpoint:  he made Wildflowers after FMF.  Up through "Highway Companion" he was regularly dropping top shelf shit.  I won't even include FMF, and here's 10 songs that can rival anyone:

Learning To Fly

Wildflowers

You Don't Know How It Feels

Last Dance With Mary Jane

Walls

Down South

Room At the Top

Scare Easy

Kings Highway

Flirtin' With Time

Counterpoint:  he made Wildflowers after FMF.  Up through "Highway Companion" he was regularly dropping top shelf shit.  I won't even include FMF, and here's 10 songs that can rival anyone:
Learning To Fly
Wildflowers
You Don't Know How It Feels
Last Dance With Mary Jane
Walls
Down South
Room At the Top
Scare Easy
Kings Highway
Flirtin' With Time

Also truth.

I think the guy might be the prolific great song hit maker in all of rock and roll.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:27 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

This is honestly the first time I've ever heard of someone hating Tom Petty.

Growing up he was always the guy that everyone liked no matter if they were a metalhead, country listening hick, wannabe rapper, or general rock/pop fan.

I hate Tom Petty, loudly and proudly.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Well this is the thread where people can be wrong with impunity

I also saw Pantera at Six Flags in the early 80s, when they were still playing Van Halen and Motley Crue covers, and I maintain that Projects in the Jungle is their magnum opus.

I also saw Pantera at Six Flags in the early 80s, when they were still playing Van Halen and Motley Crue covers, and I maintain that Projects in the Jungle is their magnum opus.

I might have been at that show. Def enjoyed a couple of Bronco Bowl shows during that era.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not gonna take the time to catch up on this thread, but regarding John Lennon:  he was a helluva rock singer.  Guitar?  Eh.  Songwriting?  Great, but topped by Paul and George.  No shame there.

He deserves guitar props just for "All my Loving".  That strum is a motherfucker. 

John Lennon on John Lennon the guitar player:

“I’m OK.  I’m not technically good, but I can make it fucking howl and move.  I was a rhythm guitarist.  It’s an important job. I can make a band drive. You see, one part of me says, 'yes, of course I can play because I can make a rock move.'  But the other part of me says, 'well, I wish I could just do like B. B. King.’  If you would put me with B. B. King, I would feel real silly.”

[from the 1970 Rolling Stone interview]

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not gonna take the time to catch up on this thread, but regarding John Lennon:  he was a helluva rock singer.  Guitar?  Eh.  Songwriting?  Great, but topped by Paul and George.  No shame there.

I'd argue that Lennon was a great lyricist, not a great song writer.  He needed Paul for musical composition, and Paul needed John's lyrics.  

IMO, this became painfully clear through their post-Beatle music.  Paul has great music with lame lyrics, while John had great lyrics but very basic music.

The reason I put George at the top is because his songs always had a good mix of both.

20 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I'd argue that Lennon was a great lyricist, not a great song writer.  He needed Paul for musical composition, and Paul needed John's lyrics.  

I'm no Beatles expert, they are far from my favorite band, but it was always my understanding that Lennon/McCartney was essentially one dude writing the song and crediting it to both, both directions.  Are you suggesting otherwise?

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no Beatles expert, they are far from my favorite band, but it was always my understanding that Lennon/McCartney was essentially one dude writing the song and crediting it to both, both directions.  Are you suggesting otherwise?

I think I am.  I have no proof, aside from my ears, but listening to the Beatles' music, vs listening to either Paul or John's solo stuff (and yes, I count Wings as solo) it's pretty clear that Paul's lyrics suck, but his music is complex, whereas John's songs are deep lyrically, but the music is very basic.

I also don't buy that Paul or john would allow someone else to take a writing credit on a song they wrote alone....or that the others would be cool with such an arrangement that left them out.

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

I think I am.  I have no proof, aside from my ears, but listening to the Beatles' music, vs listening to either Paul or John's solo stuff (and yes, I count Wings as solo) it's pretty clear that Paul's lyrics suck, but his music is complex, whereas John's songs are deep lyrically, but the music is very basic.

I also don't buy that Paul or john would allow someone else to take a writing credit on a song they wrote alone....or that the others would be cool with such an arrangement that left them out.

That pretty much flies in the face of everything I've ever heard about the band.  Regardless, neither can be proven.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

That pretty much flies in the face of everything I've ever heard about the band.  Regardless, neither can be proven.

I don't know what proof you need. 

What's a, post-Beatles song by Paul that has thought provoking lyrics?  

And on the flip side, name a Lennon song with a compelling musical arrangement?  It's usually just a piano.

I mean, Yesterday is an amazing song lyrically, so I know Paul can create good lyrics...it just takes him a long time.  Apparently, it took him a couple days to write the music and 3 years to write the lyrics, and for about 2.99 of those years the song was called "Scrambled Eggs".

Somewhat ironically, that song sounds a lot like a post-Beatle Lennon song.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not an argument I care to delve into.  What you are saying is completely contrary to widely held beliefs.  "Because I think so" is hardly a compelling argument.  Carry on.

It's not really an argument. 

It's more Occam's razor meets Schrodinger's Cat.