No CR, but Spinal Tap reunion announced (political benefit)

Gil Bang

Yeesh...

Ok, so actually I’m curious. What’s the point? Who are they trying to reach? No CR at all meant here because I’m a 2013 grad that’s always heard of this movie but never actually seen it. I would think most people my age are probably fall In that same demo of knowing references but not actually giving a fuck.

fuck 2020 cus I just assume there’s an ultimate goal. Will this actually be a  Fun movie to watch? If so I take back everything I said... forgot this isn’t DT or CL

Edited by Etexhorn13

8 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Ok, so actually I’m curious. What’s the point? Who are they trying to reach? No CR at all meant here because I’m a 2013 grad that’s always heard of this movie but never actually seen it.

It’s nostalgia.  It’s why Netflix brought back Full House.  It’s why Micromachines and G I Joe are back in stores.  It’s why they did a Fast Times at Ridgemont High. 

With everybody doing Zoom shit, somebody did a table reading earlier this year, it was very popular, it’s easy to do and costs nothing, so they are popular.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:33 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Yeesh...

Ok, so actually I’m curious. What’s the point? Who are they trying to reach? No CR at all meant here because I’m a 2013 grad that’s always heard of this movie but never actually seen it. I would think most people my age are probably fall In that same demo of knowing references but not actually giving a fuck.

fuck 2020 cus I just assume there’s an ultimate goal. Will this actually be a  Fun movie to watch? If so I take back everything I said... forgot this isn’t DT or CL

Because it's a brilliant film. It's funny, violent, and the soundtrack kicks fucking ass.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:33 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Will this actually be a  Fun movie to watch?

It drags in spots but its brilliant and hilarious in spurts.  The more you know about rock history, the more you will get and appreciate, but even if you don't know shit, you will laugh.

53 minutes ago, bernorange said:

It drags in spots but its brilliant and hilarious in spurts.  The more you know about rock history, the more you will get and appreciate, but even if you don't know shit, you will laugh.

We watched this in my Commercial Music Management survey class at ACC as the final. Professor had worked for A&M Records in the 80s and said this movie was as close to real life behind the scenes in the industry as you could get. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I watched 2 minutes of the FTARH table read and it was awful. This one will be also. Possibly worse 

You don't fuck with perfection. If yiu want nostalgia just watch the movie again 

Yeah, that was really a huge letdown.  I think this could be funnier because it's the original cast and not a bunch of big names trying to recapture lightning in a bottle.  I mean, yeah...a lot of those names went and got huge but they were the original characters.  Plus, as much as I love Morgan Freeman, like a 1/3rd of that table read was him setting up scenes.  We're huge fans, we know every scene.  I love your voice but you're taking up so much time narrating that we can't get to the funny shit.  I think this could be much funnier.  I hope so anyways.  

18 hours ago, bernorange said:

This is one of my favorite movies and for the life of me, I cannot figure out where this movie drags.  Care to enlighten me?  If I had to guess, it was during the time Nigel left the band.  If so, I respectfully disagree. 

4 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I watched 2 minutes of the FTARH table read and it was awful. This one will be also. Possibly worse 

You don't fuck with perfection. If yiu want nostalgia just watch the movie again 

I thought the same thing.  I read all these comments saying how great Shia LaBeouf was and I just found him annoying.  He actually ruined it for me and made me turn it off.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

...  I cannot figure out where this movie drags.  Care to enlighten me?  ...

It's been many, many years since I last saw it.  I don't remember the specific parts.  I just remember the ebb and flow of my interest while watching it waxes and wanes. 

On 10/6/2020 at 3:24 PM, Go Pokes said:

This is one of my favorite movies and for the life of me, I cannot figure out where this movie drags.  Care to enlighten me?  If I had to guess, it was during the time Nigel left the band.  If so, I respectfully disagree. 

It doesn't drag. Neither does the extra hour or so of deleted scenes on the DVD. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I watched this tonight, and I enjoyed it very much.   Those guys are so fucking funny.

Lots of cool stories, and Fran Dressher, Paul Schaeffer, (sp?) and others showed up.   Lots of fun. 

Yep, it was fantastic.  I think it's funny how Christopher Guest is pretty quiet in these.  

On 10/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, Biff Tannen said:

D...minor...which I always find is really the saddest of all keys.  I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, It's sort of in between those, really, it's like a Mach piece

Reiner said that he cracked the fuck up at "lick my love pump" and they had to reshoot the scene. 

Yeah, everybody's face when the three other band members are trying to figure out how much time between 1630 & 1700 (or whatever it was) are priceless.

Going back and watching Willard's scenes...you realize how he always had the brilliant gift of cadence.  His joke lines or absurdist lines would always be a bit faster and before the other characters knew what him them, he slowed it down and said something normal but it still sounded funny because usually the slower line is supposed to be the punchline.  Almost every comic actor in history tries to do this and I can think of maybe a half dozen that succeed, and Willard was the one that did it the longest.  Like his interaction in Spinal with the band in the hallway.  Nothing he says is terribly funny, but the way he rapid riffs about about their hair and his hair and they're all staring at him stunned, and then he slams on the brakes and calmly says something to the effect of, "Now if you'll just follow me this way."  None of those lines are hilarious, but the way he flips the timing, he catches everybody off guard and cracks us all the fuck up.  RIP, Fred.  

On 10/2/2020 at 12:33 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

Yeesh...

I know it can be hard for your generation to understand sometimes, but maybe this isn't about, or for, you. 😉