Not going for two cost us the game

youdunnf'dup

1 minute ago, SurlyORama said:

FOWTBS. Not a Herman fan, but going for 2 makes no sense for a coach, unless he HAS to. You don’t make it, it was CLEARLY a mistake. Because in retrospect it’s easy to say what was “right”

It is one of those if it works it is a great call and if it does not he would be taking the same shit on here .

I was ok with going to OT because the offense seemed to have momentum and I thought Rattler would turn the ball over.  As easily as they scored in the first 2 OTs though, I definitely would have gone for 2 at the end of the 2nd one.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The decision to tie in regulation was already made before we scored. Miz Long will verify I was screaming for 2, then and in OT. Win or lose, right here,  right now. ST has been shit, other than Dicker, so if nothing else, run the fake kick play - I'll bet Dicker can catch a wide-open toss and score. 

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

I was ok with going to OT because the offense seemed to have momentum and I thought Rattler would turn the ball over.  As easily as they scored in the first 2 OTs though, I definitely would have gone for 2 at the end of the 2nd one.

If I’m staying with the boxing analogy, it just seemed like we hit them with a vicious combo right before the round ended, and instead of throwing one last overhand right hand to just knock them the fuck out, we decided to keep our distance and take our chances in the next round. Play to win the fucking game. Finish the fight. I just had a terrible feeling as soon as we went into OT. I know Klatt said it was the right move, but in my mind I just kept thinking “we’re absolutely going to lose this game”

Edited by youdunnf'dup

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

This.  I liked our OT chances of sam versus rattler at the end of the game especially given his turnover problems.  But the second OT was the time to do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agreed that they should have gone for 2 after the 2nd td in ot. I'm fine with kicking it the first time, since that was to tie it up and we were going right back on offense. On the 3rd time you have to go for 2. So we we're going to have to go for 2 the next time we scored, so might as well go for it the 2nd time and either win or lose right there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You have 3 yards to win the game or 25 yards and trying to stop them. It’s an easy call especially with ALL the momentum. 

All of that and the theme for officiating in this conference is to protect/produce offense.  Tom should know that hard lesson by now, ESPECIALLY with OU on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s a pretty easy call when the best player on your team has a chance to win it...I really didn’t understand not going for 2 after the 25 yard run. But then again, Herman is a shitty ass coach and he doesn’t know a lot of what is happening in the game

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I just can’t agree with some of y’all. I get what you’re saying, but going to OT adds a whole new range of variables that you don’t have as much control over. You control your destiny going for it right there. No bullshit. Sam, we’re gonna roll out, take the easy pass if it’s there but if you see ANY daylight do exactly what the fuck you’ve done all 4th quarter. Run through their face and put them out of their misery 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 2

The binder is full of pages with pictures of turtles.

🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢😂😂🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢😂😂🐢🐢🐢🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I just can’t agree with some of y’all. I get what you’re saying, but going to OT adds a whole new range of variables that you don’t have as much control over. You control your destiny going for it right there. No bullshit. Sam, we’re gonna roll out, take the easy pass if it’s there but if you see ANY daylight do exactly what the fuck you’ve done all 4th quarter. Run through their face and put them out of their misery 

I wanted it in regulation too. It was salt in the wound in 2OT

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

It’s a pretty easy call when the best player on your team has a chance to win it...I really didn’t understand not going for 2 after the 25 yard run. But then again, Herman is a shitty ass coach and he doesn’t know a lot of what is happening in the game

He coaches scared so of course he was playing to prolong the game and hoping we could get lucky. 
OldOpenDachshund-size_restricted.gif

Just now, 4th&Five said:

He coaches scared so of course he was playing to prolong the game and hoping we could get lucky. 
OldOpenDachshund-size_restricted.gif

And that’s exactly it! When we got our fg blocked, I told my dad we are gonna have to get lucky. We did when they missed the fg. But our luck had run out

4 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

A friend of mine is with a company that provides stat analysis for college teams. Their book said that Texas should have gone for 2 at 31-23, but not at the end of regulation or in the 2nd OT. 

I get what the book might say, but sometimes you have to use your fucking eyes and trust your gut. This isn’t a computer simulation. These are 18-22 year old kids that are like “how the fuck are they about to tie this up. Oh shit! They’re going for two. I haven’t even caught my breath yet.”

and on the other side, could you imagine Herman going to the offense and saying “y’all wanna win this fucking game right here?!” The team would’ve been so fired up.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

if they went for two and failed I'm sure you guys would still be saying this.

With the momentum we have. I give us about a 10% chance at failing right there. If we failed it would’ve been our own doing. Definitely not them making some spectacular play. Maybe a dropped pass or a dumb play call, but that’s about it. They definitely weren’t stopping any play where Sam had the option to run or pass. He was in the zone way too much to fail right there.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

11 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

A friend of mine is with a company that provides stat analysis for college teams. Their book said that Texas should have gone for 2 at 31-23, but not at the end of regulation or in the 2nd OT. 

Well a friend of mine works for Cyberdyne, and Skynet said that in the 2nd OT we should have launched the nuclear missiles to kill all humans.  Don't worry though, my friend says that is just a mistake in the programming and is fixable.

Edited by El Hornarino
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, WBT said:

This is the correct answer.  After the second OT TD, you execute one play and you win.  Kick the PAT then you have to execute a perfect drive on offense and defense.  Not going to happen with the stupid shits we have.

This is correct. You miss it here then you still need to score anyway. If you miss the first, you get second shot.

You get it then you get 7, you win.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

we were living on borrowed time.  end of reg was the time to do it because I don't think we stop any dirt burglar 2 pointer in OT anyway.

Tom thought his D could win it which is a bad thought.  your D is not very good on short fields for sure.  win it in reg.

• Like 1

I was losing my mind that we didn't go for two at the end of the 3rd overtime.  You go for 2 because in the 4th overtime, you have to go for two, and you are in the disadvantaged position of playing offense first. Even if you score and get the 2, they have a chance to answer.

Win it or lose it right there. They had no chance to answer the 2 with 2 of their own.  You probably have a 60% plus or more chance of winning ir right there, maybe more because of momentum. Taking it to the 4th OT with them going second, your odds probably drop to 40% or less.  That was our chance, and we should have taken it.  Herman was afraid of the criticism.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, JohnLocke said:

I was losing my mind that we didn't go for two at the end of the 3rd overtime.  You go for 2 because in the 4th overtime, you have to go for two, and you are in the disadvantaged position of playing offense first. Even if you score and get the 2, they have a chance to answer.

Win it or lose it right there. They had no chance to answer the 2 with 2 of their own.  You probably have a 60% plus or more chance of winning ir right there, maybe more because of momentum. Taking it to the 4th OT with them going second, your odds probably drop to 40% or less.  That was our chance, and we should have taken it.  Herman was afraid of the criticism.

Uhhh, no. We didn’t score in the third OT and that’s when you have to start going for two. 

14 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I get what the book might say, but sometimes you have to use your fucking eyes and trust your gut. This isn’t a computer simulation. These are 18-22 year old kids that are like “how the fuck are they about to tie this up. Oh shit! They’re going for two. I haven’t even caught my breath yet.”

and on the other side, could you imagine Herman going to the offense and saying “y’all wanna win this fucking game right here?!” The team would’ve been so fired up.

Emotion is definitely a huge factor in college football. In an end of regulation situation, execution is important. Just to be clear, their book didn’t say not to go for 2 in the other situations. Just that 31-23 was better statistically. I wish the D had made a stop in the first OT