Not going for two cost us the game

youdunnf'dup

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Uhhh, no. We didn’t score in the third OT and that’s when you have to start going for two. 

I meant 2nd overtime of course; we had to go for 2 in the 3rd.  We had to go for two after we scored in the 2nd OT. Big mistake not to, I said it at the time.

Edited by JohnLocke
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don’t even know what we’re talking about and I don’t really care. And that’s really the bottom line—I don’t even care anymore. And that’s not just a Ton Herman thing, but it’s not not a Tom Herman thing.

This is a bad program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well duh.  hopefully you have a ton of money and CDC is your college buddy and really values your assessments. now get to fucking work please.

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Check the game thread. A ton of us said it in real time. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Should have gone for 2 to end regulation.

I think this was after the blocked FG. But I was saying it in real time with who I was watching it with 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I would rather win it or lose it with our best unit on the field than depend on our worst unit.  especially when the field is only 25 yards long. 

Precisely. Despite Sam’s numerous faults, he is our best player and our best chance at winning every week. Much rather put our chances of winning at that point in the game in a play in which my best player has the largest impact on the play. OU’s defense was dead. Completely deflated and completely shocked. Momentum out the ass. USC, West Virginia...never learns. 

21 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

if they went for two and failed I'm sure you guys would still be saying this.

I would. If you are going to take Vienna, then you take fucking Vienna. You do not halt, let their defense breath. You ram it down their throats or you go out trying. Play to win. 

58 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Play to win. Dont fucking play not to lose. The team with the better coach is usually going to win in OT. And no, I don’t have any evidence to back that up lol but it makes sense in my head.

Problem is, Mensa is convinced he’s the better coach. So he probably thought OT favored him.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Play to win. Dont fucking play not to lose. The team with the better coach is usually going to win in OT. And no, I don’t have any evidence to back that up lol but it makes sense in my head.

Yes , it's turtle Tom. Playing not to lose.F4003BD0-132E-40E6-B9EC-0572BF0D06BF_4_5005_c.jpeg.e48f6ce570e3a0a2770cde424da48828.jpeg2B2153A0-69D7-4CB9-AC2C-D4E7B3DA7551_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.35d39d5a8dac979b6317dbf1ceecb1c4.jpeg

I wish he was a snapping turtle, but he is a softshell pancake turtle.

Edited by El Squared

It’s emblematic of Texas football now.  We had no business being in the game after that 14 point deficit yet we come all the way back only to turtle up and go into overtime. 

Dogshit coaching all around.  Our dumb plays have me questioning what the coaches work on during the week.

3 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Herman will always be chickenshit for not going for the win in regulation especially knowing Sam was hot and earned the right to decide the outcome.  Fuck Herman 

Mack FINALLY let Vince be Vince-what would happen if Herman let Sam be Sam when making game deciding decisions?  Guess we'll never know.

1 minute ago, pch said:

Mack FINALLY let Vince be Vince-what would happen if Herman let Sam be Sam when making game deciding decisions?  Guess we'll never know.

Yep and Herman just punched his ticket to be fired as far as I’m concerned because of it.  

2 hours ago, HornPhD said:

A friend of mine is with a company that provides stat analysis for college teams. Their book said that Texas should have gone for 2 at 31-23, but not at the end of regulation or in the 2nd OT. 

Analytics isn’t everything. Sometimes you gotta make a “football” decision. The longer a game drags on like this one did the worse and harder it is for us. 

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Analytics isn’t everything. Sometimes you gotta make a “football” decision. The longer a game drags on like this one did the worse and harder it is for us. 

that would mean you have to admit you have the worse team, which our idiot coach can't comprehend because everything is set up if the players just execute our brilliant plan.

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

that would mean you have to admit you have the worse team, which our idiot coach can't comprehend because everything is set up if the players just execute our brilliant plan.

It isn’t even about admitting we were the worst team. They were begging to be knocked out. We let them get saved by the bell and they got to clear their head before the next round. You end it right there because they were demoralized and we were on fire. Use your best 2pt play, roll the dice, and light a fire into this team. Don’t play it safe and let overtime create variables that are now out of your control. Even with something as simple as the OT coin flip. Being on defense first gives you a pretty big advantage IMO. Why would you want to chance something like that if you had it in your control with no time on the clock.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It isn’t even about admitting we were the worst team. They were begging to be knocked out. We let them get saved by the bell and they got to clear their head before the next round. You end it right there because they were demoralized and we were on fire. Use your best 2pt play, roll the dice, and light a fire into this team. Don’t play it safe and let overtime create variables that are now out of your control. Even with something as simple as the OT coin flip. Being on defense first gives you a pretty big advantage IMO. Why would you want to chance something like that if you had it in your control with no time on the clock.

I know that but I'm not the coach.  for Tom that is what it is.  he would have to admit he has to roll the dice against what he I'm sure believes is an inferior coach.  his ego can't let him do that.

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

As soon as we scored I was saying go for 2. When we lined up to kick I looked at my wife and said "we won't beat them in OT"

Absolutely the same. Klatt said, right decision blah blah, had OU on the heels. OU had no intention of continuing to play conservative in OT Klatt. We had them on their heels, tired, with no subs. Hurry up and run your best two point play with Sam getting pass/run option.

So obvious...but, Turtle Tom

Edited by pacman

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

You have 3 yards to win the game or 25 yards and trying to stop them. It’s an easy call especially with ALL the momentum

Mensa doesn't believe in momentum. I think he's autistic. Anyway, we should get a real coach at some point and Herman can hold his binder somewhere else.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I wanted them to go for two when they scored to make it 31-23.  If you make it, you win with a TD and a PAT.  If you don't, you can force OT with a TD and a successful 2.

Thank you for your service. This is the right move.

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

WVU went for 2 at the end 2 years ago against us and made it to win.

Les went for 2 last year at the end and made it.

Those 2 teams went for the win.  

I guarantee they were breathed a sigh of relief as soon as they saw the kicking team trot into the field. 

“ok, at least we can’t lose. 0-0, brand néw ball game. Lock in boys.”

Its pretty obvious that type of speech is coming during the break between the end of regulation and OT. If we go for two, they’re scrambling. And I feel like every team has one borderline guaranteed 2pt play, even if it’s a full on trick play. 

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I wanted them to go for two when they scored to make it 31-23.  If you make it, you win with a TD and a PAT.  If you don't, you can force OT with a TD and a successful 2.

That was definitely the right move, and I wasn’t even thinking about it at the time. Just riding a wave of momentum that we should’ve rode to the finish line. We lose to OU way too much in my lifetime to even call this a rivalry. It’s embarrassing. I just wish we would nut up one time and throw the first punch. If we lose we lose, but I think enough people would’ve understood the call. I would respect the decision win or loss.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

that thought never came into his mind.  again, that would require assuming you are not the better team, that will win if we can just tie the game. he completely forgot that for 27 minutes in the second half they were getting their shit stomped in.

I was actually making this exact same thread and got busy and finish it.

You absolutely go for 2 in this game at either the end of the game or after we scored in OT 2. I knew exactly how this OT was going to play out. No way was this defense going to make a play. The only time we stopped them was when they went into turtle mode to play for the game winning FG. We were much more likely to make a mistake than OU was.

Turtle Tom strikes again. I said it right when we were driving to tie the game in regulation. "Go for 2 after we score". Win this shit right now and give OU no chance. I did not like our chances in OT. OU had no answer for us at all. Strike when we have all the momentum. Herman could have gained a lot of respect had he went for 2 to beat OU.

I would not have been mad had we missed it (unless it was some dumb fuck play call, which is likely with Tom) but the act of going for it would have told me Tom has balls. But of course Turtle Tom has no balls. WVU did this to us in 2018. They had all the momentum, knew we could not stop us and wanted to win it right there and they did. Baylor did it to Aggy back in the day.

Such a pussy move to keep playing for the tie.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I guarantee they were breathed a sigh of relief as soon as they saw the kicking team trot into the field. 

I hate Adam Carolla now but he has always made a good point about Belichick. He says "Belichick always does what you as the opponent doesn't want him to do. If you would rather him kick the PAT, he goes for 2. If you feel better that he's gonna punt on 4th down, he'll go for it." 

When you give your opponent what they want over and over, you lose the edge. 

Had we gone for 2 there, the entire Sooner nation would've been shitting their pants. As it was, they felt pretty comfortable the rest of that OT. 

Edited by NorthLoop

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Their book is wronger than fuck.

No, going for two there gives you multiple shots at the 2-point conversion. If you get it there, a second TD and PAT wins. If you miss, you still get another chance at OT with another TD and 2-point conversion.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Yes. 1000 times yes. Should have gone for the win at 31-30. Definitely after second OT.

Not going for it at the end of regulation may have been a mistake but not going for it at the end of the 2 nd OT was definitely a mistake. One could argue why let them off the hook at the end of regulation with a possible failed 2 PT attempt. Take the momentum into OT.

At the end of second OT by going for the kick you are giving them the advantage of knowing what they need to score in the 3rd OT and they have shown they can score on you in OT twice. All the momentum is gone. Sam just ran like a beast. Win it or lose it on your own terms at that point and don' t give them the 3rd OT advantage. Now don't get me wrong I was OK going either way at the end of regulation but not going for two was not a major sin at that point. Letting OU have the advantage again in the 3rd OT was unacceptable in my view and going for two was the only rational choice at that point because the choice he made was chicken shit in the 2nd OT.

• Like 1

So, I'm not from 'round here, but I root for the 'Horns too (or why else would I be here?). Plus I'm drunk.  At any rate, although I thought Texas should have gone for 2 at the end of regulation - having all the momentum - I did somewhat understand why Herman went for OT. That said, at the end of the second OT I was screaming at the TV "go for two!". It made absolutely no sense to me that when you have a chance to win right there you don't take it. You'd have to go for two after that anyway, so go with the momentum and FINISH THEM.  It just seemed to me that y'all were playing with house money at that point. Once he played to go to the 3rd OT I felt an impending sense of doom.

From an outsider's perspective it just seems that he has that binder that tells him what to do, but there's no understanding of the human side of what's actually taking place on the field.

Oh well, at least y'all are playing. We'll be there in 4 weeks. 😂 OU sucks, UO sucks, same thing. Hook 'em! 

I’d say boneheaded penalties committed by O line:

unsportsmanlike when Sam had run to 1yd line 

offsides on 4th & 2 moving Texas out of FG range

holding in OT making 1st and goal be from 19yd line

Texas has an OL coach who neither recruits well (king of the three star) or coach well. Every week this group torpedoes the team with shit play. 

This team is fucked. 

15 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’d say boneheaded penalties committed by O line:

unsportsmanlike when Sam had run to 1yd line 

offsides on 4th & 2 moving Texas out of FG range

holding in OT making 1st and goal be from 19yd line

Texas has an OL coach who neither recruits well (king of the three star) or coach well. Every week this group torpedoes the team with shit play. 

This team is fucked. 

At this point you can’t even blame the individual coaches because the rot is coming from the head guy down.