The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

ZERO Democratic leaders of note have called for Trump's impeachment.  You can bet the House that isn't because they don't think impeachment is appropriate.  It's because they understand power.  They understand when to pick a fight and when to wait for a better opportunity.  Every stinking one of them.  They get it.  Some of you guys don't.  The dynamic is no different with top GOP people.

Except the GOP isn't just wisely biding its time for the right moment.  It's actively helping Trump avoid impeachment, with things like the sham Nunes committee report, or McConnell's refusal to put the bill protecting Mueller on the floor. 

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Except the GOP isn't just wisely biding its time for the right moment.  It's actively helping Trump avoid impeachment, with things like the sham Nunes committee report, or McConnell's refusal to put the bill protecting Mueller on the floor. 

Oh, they're going to get theirs. They might even lose the Senate if they keep it up.

Damnit people, stop taking Tahoe’s bait. His initial response was to a specific hypothetical, not to the issue of impeachment generally. That hypothetical was Ryan’s indifference to Trump’s refusal to comply with a subpoena, which would obviously be in the future, which it should go without saying would be after Ryan announced his intention to retire.

In that hypothetical, in which the public case against Trump would be stronger than it is today, and in which Ryan would not need to worry about his personal political risk, and in which the fate of the Republic would be at stake, all of which Ryan would hypothetically blithely ignore, Tahoe compared Ryan’s hypoethical shirking of his duties to a dog catcher not having a position on abortion. Everything since then has been him moving the goalposts. 

36 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

You have a naive, simple-minded idea about how power works.  There is a time and place to fight battles.  People with significant authority can't and won't fight every battle.  They also don't fight the bog battles prematurely.

Regarding the German analogy the US waited 1.8 to 4.75 years (depending on how you want to count) before we invaded Europe and took on Hitler.  We didn't go till we were ready.

See the responses below.

28 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The German analogy wasn't about Americans.  It was about German citizens. 

16 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

IF the GOP was just hunkering down, and waiting to see what the evidence is/when the time is right, that'd be one thing.

But -- to go with our German people during WWII metaphor -- when they are actively feeding information to the Nazi leadership, they are actively interfering with all efforts to hold Nazi leadership accountable, and they are assisting the Nazi leadership in fulfilling its mission....then they aren't "smart people who know about power dynamics who are waiting till the time is right" to dispose of shitty Nazi leaders.  They're...fucking Nazis.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

IF the GOP was just hunkering down, and waiting to see what the evidence is/when the time is right, that'd be one thing.

That's really what everyone should be doing at this point, regardless of affiliation.

The GOP should be protecting the process though. Ken Starr's investigation went on for years, and hit a wide range of subjects well beyond the Whitewater deal. It really shouldn't be such a crazy notion that the people with so much power need to be checked by an independent investigator. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

That's really what everyone should be doing at this point, regardless of affiliation.

The GOP should be protecting the process though. Ken Starr's investigation went on for years, and hit a wide range of subjects well beyond the Whitewater deal. It really shouldn't be such a crazy notion that the people with so much power need to be checked by an independent investigator. 

But...see....this is the thing....not only is the GOP not in favor of due process and the rule of law....they actually see it as an impediment.

What we are seeing is the ultimate end-game of when the pursuit and maintenance of power trumps literally all other values and goals.  They want to have and hold power in order to mold the Republic the way they see fit.  And if, to have and hold that power, they have to kill the Republic, then so be it.

"We had to destroy the village in order to save it."  Except there's not even the illusion or effort to lie about trying to save the village.  They just want power, to line their pockets and their pals' pockets, and who gives a fuck about the village and everyone in it.

Everybody reading this thread is smart enough to understand which politicians - among the few dozen leaders, the Congress, the Executive leaders, the judiciary and party officials - are tangling with Trump and how they are doing it, which are supportive and which seem to be biding their time.   We're all smart enough to have an opinion on whether - say, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer and Tom Perez - are supportive, cowards or waiting for a good opportunity or good issue to resist. 

But we don't all seem smart enough to have the correct opinion on whether someone is supportive, a coward or waiting for a good opportunity or good issue to resist when the only thing we really know is that they are refraining from getting in a big fight at this time.  You should ask why smart people like Pelosi, Schumer and  Perez are not throwing a temper tantrum like you are.

They know (and some of you guys don't) that the time to take on Trump is after the Mueller report when we all know what the facts are.  Until then you're just guessing, wasting political capital, missing opportunities to govern, and risking making Trump stronger with overinflated accusations.  Everybody smart is waiting.

Edited by TahoeHorn

2 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

You should ask why smart people like Pelosi, Schumer and  Perez are not throwing a temper tantrum like you are.

1. Because they have no power

2. They have been calling out Trump’s malfeasance on a regular basis but it’s exhausting 

3 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Everybody reading this thread is smart enough to understand which politicians - among the few dozen leaders, the Congress, the Executive leaders, the judiciary and party officials - are tangling with Trump and how they are doing it, which are supportive and which seem to be biding their time.   We're all smart enough to have an opinion on whether - say, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer and Tom Perez - are supportive, cowards or waiting for a good opportunity or good issue to resist. 

But we don't all seem smart enough to have the correct opinion on whether someone is supportive, a coward or waiting for a good opportunity or good issue to resist when the only thing we really know is that they are refraining from getting in a big fight at this time.  You should ask why smart people like Pelosi, Schumer and  Perez are not throwing a temper tantrum like you are.

i think it's because they are letting trump self-defenestrate instead of throwing him out themselves. never interrupt your enemy making a mistake.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i think it's because they are letting trump self-defenestrate instead of throwing him out themselves. never interrupt your enemy making a mistake.

And it keeps from feeding the "it's a political witch hunt" beast.

Pelosi, Schumer, and Perez are saying the things Paul Ryan should be saying.  Even if they weren't, the Republican leadership isn't merely staying quiet, they are affirmatively supporting Trump's efforts to avoid impeachment for his crimes.  That distinction only seems hard for one person here to understand. 

I actually feel bad for my GOP Congressman.

He’s a decent guy that was elected to his very first Congressional term in 2016 so he’s low man on the totem pole in the House with no power.

He’s pushed back on Trumpism fairly well but has kept an extremely low profile.

I have no idea what I would do in his position.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

15 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

They know (and some of you guys don't) that the time to take on Trump is after the Mueller report when we all know what the facts are.  Until then you're just guessing, wasting political capital, missing opportunities to govern, and risking making Trump stronger with overinflated accusations.  Everybody smart is waiting.

We are on a dangerous path where Trump fires Mueller before Mueller issues a report.

I think it will happen.  It's going to be a constitutional crisis the likes of which we have never seen before IMHO.  Rather than get out in front of it and passing a simple bill that says Mueller gets to issue his report, our congressional leaders won't let the bill be voted on. 

Why? 

They would rather take a few steps closer to a constitutional cluster-fuck so they can continue to protect the power they have today.  Fuck them all.

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What we are seeing is the ultimate end-game of when the pursuit and maintenance of power trumps literally all other values and goals.  They want to have and hold power in order to mold the Republic the way they see fit.  And if, to have and hold that power, they have to kill the Republic, then so be it.

"We had to destroy the village in order to save it."  Except there's not even the illusion or effort to lie about trying to save the village.  They just want power, to line their pockets and their pals' pockets, and who gives a fuck about the village and everyone in it.

Hate to bring up TV shows, but this season of Homeland really illustrates Brisket's post here. It's all sorts of fucked up and hits a little too close to reality, but you can get an idea of what I hope some of these assholes are going through. Right or wrong, I hope some of them at least hope they are doing the right thing, even if for the wrong reasons. But my pessimistic side says they're just doing it for their own benefit, and my pessimism is usually right.

1 minute ago, deech said:

We are on a dangerous path where Trump fires Mueller before Mueller issues a report.

I think it will happen.  It's going to be a constitutional crisis the likes of which we have never seen before IMHO.  Rather than get out in front of it and passing a simple bill that says Mueller gets to issue his report, our congressional leaders won't let the bill be voted on. 

Why? 

They would rather take a few steps closer to a constitutional cluster-fuck so they can continue to protect the power they have today.  Fuck them all.

it's this bizarre lack of vision that is the saddest thing. the writing is on the fucking wall, dudes. man up and do the right fucking thing.

46 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The only reason the GOP isn’t doing anything is because of the Trumpkin base voters.

If it was in their political interest to do the right thing, they would do it.

The ones that matter are leaving.  They're doing nothing because of blackmail/criminal CYA.

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Firing Mueller might be the trap the GOP wants Trump to walk into.

It’s the one this GOP has been vocal about. I’ve seen  several say Mueller should be able to do his job.  Our own Cornyn tops on the list. 

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

It’s the one this GOP has been vocal about. I’ve seen  several say Mueller should be able to do his job.  Our own Cornyn tops on the list. 

Cornyn has the testicular fortitude of a eunuch.  When the shit hits the fan, he'll get in line with the rest of 'em.

Party over country. 100%, 100% of the time.  That's the guarantee.

15 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

They say that because words don't cost anything.  If they were serious, they would schedule a vote for the bill about protecting the Special Counsel.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

Pelosi, Schumer, and Perez are saying the things Paul Ryan should be saying.  Even if they weren't, the Republican leadership isn't merely staying quiet, they are affirmatively supporting Trump's efforts to avoid impeachment for his crimes.  That distinction only seems hard for one person here to understand. 

Talking.  Not doing.

One of the sad things about politics is that voters confuse angry speeches with results.

You need to decide what you want done.  I want Mueller to be able to do his job and to make a decision about Trump after Mueller presents his findings.  In the meantime I want Congress to do its job.  There are going to be individual politicians yammering.  Let them yammer. 

As far as the President, Congress can work with him, not work with him or remove him from office.  Those are the choices.  I want them to work with him unless and until he is removed.

I am reminded of people at the customer service desk at Wal-Mart.  You can get your money back.  That's pretty much it. And that's easy to do.  You can't get Wal-Mart to reform its practices using a 30 minute rant at the girl in customer service.  Figure out what the fuck you want and how to get it done.  Don't yammer, whine and pout.

What do you want and how do you plan to get it done?

And I'll give you a hint: If you want Trump removed when the Mueller report comes out you need to work your magic on the persuadable Republicans. They will decide.  Tell me your pitch.  So far your pitch sucks.  I can assure you it sucks.

If you want Trump removed now you are just screwing up your chances to get him removed when Mueller presents his findings.  Decide what you want.

Edited by TahoeHorn

1 minute ago, TahoeHorn said:

In the meantime I want Congress to do its job. 

Would that, perchance, include the idea of NOT wanting Congress to NOT do its job?  Because so far you've been radio silence on any number of things the Republicans in Congress have done.

Eagerly awaiting your non-answer.

Talking.  Not doing.

One of the sad things about politics is that voters confuse angry speeches with results.

You need to decide what you want done.  I want Mueller to be able to do his job and to make a decision about Trump after Mueller presents his findings.  In the meantime I want Congress to do its job.  There are going to be individual politicians yammering.  Let them yammer. 

As far as the President Congress can work with him, not work with him or remove him from office.  Those are the choices.

I am reminded of people at the customer service desk at Wal-Mart.  You can get your money back.  That's pretty much it. And that's easy to do.  You can't get Wal-Mart to reform its practices using a 30 minute rant at the girl in customer service.  Figure out what the fuck you want and how to get it done.  Don't yammer, whine and pout.

What do you want and how do you plan to get it done?

And I'll give you a hint: If you want Trump removed when the Mueller report comes out you need to work your magic on the persuadable Republicans. They will decide.  Tell me your pitch.  So far your pitch sucks.  I can assure you it sucks.

The House Intelligence Committee report wasn't just talking. That's doing.  It's actual political cover, which is why Trump has repeatedly pointed to it. 

McConnell refusing to protect Mueller isn't just talking.  It's doing.  It's blocking actual legislation and puts the invesitgation in jeopardy. 

Nunes and other Republican chairmen and leaders sharing Intel on the investigation with the WH isn't just talking.  It's doing.  It's helping the WH avoid pitfalls that could bring Trump down if he were caught unawares. 

The list goes on and on.  All you want to talk about is why it's ok the GOP hasn't filed articles of impeachment.  Which is, not coincidentally, what nobody here is talking about.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the criticism of Ryan has more to do with him not keeping Nunes (and others) in check than going directly after Trump.  The House is always a flying circus, but normally you don't appoint a middle school gossip queen that you can't control to the head the HIC.  And if you don't have the power in your own party to put your people there (especially to a member of the IC), maybe you shouldn't be Speaker.  You may see going after Nunes as a direct attack on Trump, but I see it as getting your house in order and reasserting some sort of authority over the chamber of congress you supposedly lead.  It would be asinine for Ryan to come out and lambaste Trump before Mueller finishes, but he should be reeling in his party members every time something new comes out - not having them continue to go off half-cocked.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Would that, perchance, include the idea of NOT wanting Congress to NOT do its job?  Because so far you've been radio silence on any number of things the Republicans in Congress have done.

Eagerly awaiting your non-answer.

Next week I'd like the Senate to confirm (for the Circuit Court of Appeals):

Kurt D. Engelhardt (Cal. No. 673)

Michael B. Brennan (Cal. No. 690)

Joel M. Carson III (Cal. No. 729)

John B. Nalbandian (Cal. No. 777)

Michael Y. Scudder (Cal. No. 780)

Amy J. St. Eve (Cal. No. 781)

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/executive_calendar/xcalv.pdf

I'd also like the Judiciary Committee to conduct hearings on nominees:

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/hearings

How's that for a couple of items?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The list goes on and on.  All you want to talk about is why it's ok the GOP hasn't filed articles of impeachment.  Which is, not coincidentally, what nobody here is talking about.

1000X this, Tahoe.

You are defending the GOP taking a position of neutrality.

Nobody is criticizing that....mostly because...that's NOT what the GOP is doing.  They are actively assisting Trump, actively working to derail, interfere with, and discredit Mueller's investigation.  Shit, if they were simply neutral, we probably would need to celebrate that.

Stop defending GOP neutrality because (1) we're not criticizing that and (2) that's not what the GOP is actually doing.

Discuss the coordinated, multi-pronged approach of GOP leadership and politicians to derail, interfere with, and discredit Mueller's investigation.  Discuss THAT, because that's, you know, what's actually happening.

Next week I'd like the Senate to confirm (for the Circuit Court of Appeals):

Kurt D. Engelhardt (Cal. No. 673)

Michael B. Brennan (Cal. No. 690)

Joel M. Carson III (Cal. No. 729)

John B. Nalbandian (Cal. No. 777)

Michael Y. Scudder (Cal. No. 780)

Amy J. St. Eve (Cal. No. 781)

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/executive_calendar/xcalv.pdf

I'd also like the Judiciary Committee to conduct hearings on nominees:

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/hearings

How's that for a couple of items?

Complete non-answer.  I'd like to see you scold Congress (or members thereof) for things they should cease doing.  You know, like undermining their own committee efforts by shutting out the minority opinion.  Little things like that.

You fraud.

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The House Intelligence Committee report wasn't just talking. That's doing.  It's actual political cover, which is why Trump has repeatedly pointed to it. 

McConnell refusing to protect Mueller isn't just talking.  It's doing.  It's blocking actual legislation and puts the invesitgation in jeopardy. 

Nunes and other Republican chairmen and leaders sharing Intel on the investigation with the WH isn't just talking.  It's doing.  It's helping the WH avoid pitfalls that could bring Trump down if he were caught unawares. 

I have already said I don't approve of that.  And I've said that the GOP can't get into a war over that sort of thing at this time. 

Governance and politics is filled with disagreements.  Only fools fight every battle.

The important battle to fight at this time is to allow Mueller to continue to do his job.  The smart move is to ensure that happens and let the smaller stuff go.

The important battle to fight at this time is to allow Mueller to continue to do his job.  The smart move is to ensure that happens and let the smaller stuff go.

1 -- that battle is being fought.

2 -- your party is fighting for the other side in that battle.

3 -- you are a spineless hypocrite.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1000X this, Tahoe.

You are defending the GOP taking a position of neutrality.

Nobody is criticizing that....mostly because...that's NOT what the GOP is doing.  They are actively assisting Trump, actively working to derail, interfere with, and discredit Mueller's investigation.  Shit, if they were simply neutral, we probably would need to celebrate that.

Stop defending GOP neutrality because (1) we're not criticizing that and (2) that's not what the GOP is actually doing.

Discuss the coordinated, multi-pronged approach of GOP leadership and politicians to derail, interfere with, and discredit Mueller's investigation.  Discuss THAT, because that's, you know, what's actually happening.

I do not believe that is happening.  I think there are actors in the GOP who are guilty of your charge.  That is what Trump is doing and he has some supporters.    I think the GOP as a whole is working to ensure that Mueller stays on the job.  Mueller IS staying on the job.  Rosenstein is staying on the job.  I'll bet the House that Trump has been warned, politely and behind the scenes that if he tries to materially obstruct the investigation that he will regret it.  I think that's the right position.  They're just going to have to live with Trump yammering.

Just now, TahoeHorn said:

I do not believe that is happening.  I think there are actors in the GOP who are guilty of your charge.  That is what Trump is doing and he has some supporters.    I think the GOP as a whole is working to ensure that Mueller stays on the job.  Mueller IS staying on the job.  Rosenstein is staying on the job.  I'll bet the House that Trump has been warned, politely and behind the scenes that if he tries to materially obstruct the investigation that he will regret it.  I think that's the right position.  They're just going to have to live with Trump yammering.

*post saved for later use*

1 minute ago, TahoeHorn said:

I do not believe that is happening.  I think there are some Germans who are guilty of your charge.  That is what Hitler is doing and he has some supporters.    I think Gernany as a whole is working to ensure that Hitler doesn't take us down a dark path.  And right now, no ovens have been built.  I'll bet the House that Hitler has been warned, politely and behind the scenes that if he tries to take Germany down a dark path that he will regret it.  I think that's the right position.  They're just going to have to live with Hitler yammering.

With courageous patriots like you and your GOP pals standing in the breach, I don't see why any of us should lose a minute of sleep worrying.

What you don't see is that the GOP is cementing its image for tens of millions of people as "the party of treason."  And I'm not just referring to hippie libruls -- I'm talking about folks I know who have been lifelong Republican voters.

The GOP is NOT just being neutral -- they are both actively and tacitly engaged in and support an effort to derail and discredit the Mueller investigation.  And you see it.  But you're just fine with evil, so long as your tax bill goes down a few percentage points and some judges who will keep the uppity types in their place get appointed.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Complete non-answer.  I'd like to see you scold Congress (or members thereof) for things they should cease doing.  You know, like undermining their own committee efforts by shutting out the minority opinion.  Little things like that.

You fraud.

Where?  Here?  I've listed hundreds of things I disagree with.

Look, I've done something you haven't.  I've laid out my position affirmatively.  All you do is take pot shots, usually uninformed potshots at my positions. 

You don't understand what they are.  You make up positions I don't have.  Everybody can read my positions.  If they care they understand what I say.  I'm fine if they disagree.  The fact that you don't understand what I've written (many hundreds of times over twenty plus years of Horn board posting) is your problem not mine.

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

*post saved for later use*

Dude, if Mueller's investigation is thwarted I'll be more angry than you.  And I'll be doing things where it really counts, not on some Internet board I use for entertainment.

29 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

What, not enough doughnuts and child molesters to get you interested?

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t understand why that’s news.  Everyone knew Cohen was under close surveillance at the time of the raid.  They were reading his email for crying out loud.

"At least one phone call between a phone line associated with Cohen and the White House was intercepted."

So, at least one, meaning likely more than one intercepted between Cohen and the WH.  Also, Donald doesn't do email.  Just a couple things worth considering to deepen understanding of the implications.

Dude, if Mueller's investigation is thwarted I'll be more angry than you.  And I'll be doing things where it really counts, not on some Internet board I use for entertainment.

Narrator:  He wasn't and didn't.

5 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

No you won't.  I'll bet you dollars to your delivered donuts that you'll be on here posting, nonchalantly, about how that means there was obviously nothing there, and thus we need to let Trump get along with the business of making America great again.  And you'll definitely be doing something outside of this board -- delivering donuts, supporting your local sycophants who successfully conspired to thwart the rule of law.

You aren't even a good liar.