The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

This is from a CNN article this morning about the protracted legal battle expected to occur if Mueller issues a subpoena for the president to testify. According to the president's legal team:

They believe that Trump has done a good job discrediting the investigators and the investigation itself.

That's high comedy right there.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Please, please, please let this happen.

I really don't want to see it, because there is no way in hell Ryan or McConnell will do anything about it, and then Trump will have free reign to clean house at the DOJ and essentially turn it into his own private police force.

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I really don't want to see it, because there is no way in hell Ryan or McConnell will do anything about it, and then Trump will have free reign to clean house at the DOJ and essentially turn it into his own private police force.

[grammar]rein[/nazi]

That doesn't sound fascist at all.

• Like 1

Yesterday Rosenstein flat out said the GOP in Congress leaks more than a large bore colander.  The pattern is established.  Their demand for documents is for the purpose of undermining and sabotaging the investigation.  They are stooping to extortion using threats of impeachment/firing unless their demands are met.  I strongly suspect this skullduggery is all because the next bombshell will involve revelations of RNC/GOP are in bed with with the same foreign operation Trump is re coordinatd election assistance and rubles.  It's already basically out there in plain view.

It's reassuring to see the strong pushback from Rosenstein.  It could signal that they're ready to rumble.

Edited by triplehorn

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

With his base, he's done a great job of just that.

With the other 60% of the country, not so much.

A lot of that 60% only care about their home values, 401(k)s and safety. If they see headlines that make them think they are fine, he will be fine. I don't know why people don't get that. They just won't admit it to pollsters. It is how he fucking won. Scare the middle class whites.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

A lot of that 60% only care about their home values, 401(k)s and safety. If they see headlines that make them think they are fine, he will be fine. I don't know why people don't get that. They just won't admit it to pollsters. It is how he fucking won. Scare the middle class whites.

A lot of those middle class whites are college educated women in the suburbs.

That's how he's going to lose. It's how a lot of Republican incumbents are going to lose in 2018.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Nextdoor has enlightened me to this. Everything is a threat to home values and safety. Literally everything. And if something great happens in the neighborhood, then the reaction is "oh great our property taxes are going up"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ty Cobb just announced his retirement 

In fifty years, people are going to forget that Rudy Giuliani was the mayor of New York on 9/11 and that's kind of sad. He's going to be remembered as Donald Trump's last defender.

Edited by David Dennison

Mr. Flood is expected to take a more adversarial approach to the investigation than Mr. Cobb, who had pushed Mr. Trump to strike a cooperative tone.

Bring it.  I'm tired of pussy footing around this bullshit.  It's time for the fucking big guns.

• Like 1

Wiki bio:

Emmet Thomas Flood IV is an American attorney. He served as Special Counsel in the George W. Bush Administration.

Emmet Flood
Born Emmet Thomas Flood IV
Education University of Dallas (BA)
Yale University (JD)
University of Texas, Austin(MAPhD)
Political party Republican

Early life and education

Flood attended Fenwick High School in Oak Park, Illinois, graduating in 1974.[1][2][3] Flood obtained a B.A. from the University of Dallas in 1978, a J.D. from Yale Law School in 1991, and an M.A. and a PhD from the University of Texas at Austin in 1981 and 1986, respectively.[4] He was an Andrew W. Mellon Foundation fellow at Wesleyan University from 1987 to 1988, where he delivered a colloquium entitled: "Some Uses of Narrative in the History of Philosophy: Synoptic Judgment and Philosophical Plot".[5]

Career

Flood was a law clerk for Ralph K. Winter on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and for Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.[6][7]

Flood advised President Bill Clinton during his impeachment process.[8] Flood's law firm also represented Hillary Clinton on matters relating to the Clinton email controversy.[8]

Flood represented Dick Cheney in response to Wilson v. Cheney, a civil lawsuit filed by Valerie Plamefor his alleged role in the Plame affair.[4][9]

Flood advised Bob McDonnell on his response to the corruption investigation into his activities.[10][11] Flood was retained by Cameron International to defend them after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.[12][13]

In 2017, Flood was offered a job in the Trump Administration, though he declined.[8] In March 2018, Flood met with President Donald Trump in the Oval Officeto discuss the White House's response to the Special Counsel investigation.[14]

On May 2, 2018, it was announced that Flood would be replacing Ty Cobb as the Trump White House Lawyer.

He is a partner at Williams & Connolly.[4][15]

37 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

In fifty years, people are going to forget that Rudy Giuliani was the mayor of New York on 9/11 and that's kind of sad. He's going to be remembered as Donald Trump's last defender.

That's why you have to retire at the top of your game.  You don't want to be remembered as fat Jordan playing for the Wizards.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I'm guessing this means Cobb leaked the Mueller questions. 

That was my first thought.  "Good luck guys!  I'll be watching the impeachment hearings from an Italian leather sofa in Aspen!  Oh, btw, here's a few questions that may get thrown at you.  I shared these with a totally discreet pal over at NYT.  No problem, right?"

The most amazing thing about the Mueller questions:  no real surprise questions to anyone that’s followed this thing closely.

That speaks volumes to how well the press has done considering there are no leaks from Mueller’s team.

The questions also shattered the ever-living fuck out of the QAnon conspiracy theory.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

26 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The most amazing thing about the Mueller questions:  there was no real surprise questions to anyone that’s followed this thing closely.

That speaks volumes to how well the press has done considering there are no leaks from Mueller’s team.

The questions also shattered the ever-living fuck out of the QAnon conspiracy theory.

The press has been absolute dog shit for this entire thing and they are one of the big reasons Trump won the GOP primary and then the election in the first place. Michelle Wolf was absolutely spot on with her critiques of the press. 

It's pathetic that the person with the best handle of the Russia investigation, who has consistently done one of the best jobs of being an investigative journalist and actually investigating, is a Twitter poster who is former public defender with a full-time job as a professor. 

He's not the only one either. Lots of the best investigative journalism has been done by Twitter posters and then followed up by the mainstream press without attribution to the Twitter posters. Both the former and latter parts of that are disgraceful.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bailing due to being uncomfortable with the Mueller tweets and being part of a mudslinging campaign = CYA.

Same was reported re Dowd bowing out once he was informed HIS personal actions/involvement were coming under scrutiny by Justice.

Sekulow is the one who I'm seeing is most thought to be behind leaking his transcribed Mueller questions from the Mueller meeting.

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Sekulow is the one who I'm seeing is most thought to be behind leaking his transcribed Mueller questions from the Mueller meeting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mueller-raised-possibility-of-presidential-subpoena-in-meeting-with-trumps-legal-team/2018/05/01/2bdec08e-4d51-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?utm_term=.a4b39f642e51

It's his document.  I doubt if he was the leaker.

Edited by TahoeHorn

They've had these questions for 6 weeks though. Rudy just joined the team saying he's going to end the investigation.

Boom, questions leaked. 

Not hard to put two and two together there in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They will just rebrand as some other name under the SCL Group.  

I don't think it's going to go like that.  A lot of folks are in the crosshairs of the investigation.  If and when folks like Thiel though his collab with CA via Palantir, and the Mercers role comes to light, there won't be a reunion tour.  

SCL is already under fire in the UK.  CEO Nix gone.  I expect a lot more to follow.

Edited by triplehorn

45 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The most amazing thing about the Mueller questions:  no real surprise questions to anyone that’s followed this thing closely.

Or the questions Mueller decided to give to Trump's team didn't contain any surprises.  Mueller knows more than what's out there, and could well have "surprise" questions.

• Like 1