The Biden Cabinet

Bullneck

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You dont like really intelligent, well spoken politicians that appear thoughtful and seem to genuinely care for people? Because that's my wheelhouse.  

I guess I like well spoken, thoughtful politicians motivated by the greater good who bring concrete solutions to real problems -- see Yang, Andrew or Warren, Elizabeth.

And I don't hate on Pete any more than I hate on Biden. It's just more of the status quo.

Edited by Llogg

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I guess I like well spoken, thoughtful politicians motivated by the greater good who bring concrete solutions to real problems -- see Yang, Andrew or Warren, Elizabeth.

And I don't hate on Pete any more than I hate on Biden. It's just more of the status quo.

The Status Quo of say 1990-2010 is shockingly better than much of the status quo you'd find today. So, yeah I'll take that, even if I agreed with your premise, which I do not. But I certainly love Yang and Warren in their own right. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Many people have this perception of Ted Cruz. 

Dude, I've lived in Texas my entire life. I remember the rise of Ted Cruz clearly. I don't know anyone who is worth a shit and who hasn't turned into a Trump gargling piece of shit who ever, ever thought Ted Cruz was anything other than a clown and a psycho grabbing power. You may as well be on here saying "Well, lots of folks really liked the way Hitler appealed to certain demographics." Get the fuck out of here. My first memories of Ted Cruz were entirely "Holy shit this guy is a fucking idiot" and it got worse every damn year after that. Even people I know who have voted for him rarely try to defend him. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He's also going to need a congressional waiver to serve because he hasn't been retired seven years.

Apparently something of a comfort hire for Biden because he knows and trusts him, but lots of downside and possibly a tough confirmation, as if they all won't be.

I really don't like this pick and it sounds like his confirmation may be DOA with a few key Dems showing some actual integrity and leadership in opposing a waiver for Austin.  He might be a great man capable of putting his citizen hat on for this role, but you won't convince me that there aren't plenty of qualified candidates who don't need a waiver.  The law was put in place for a reason and his confirmation wouldn't exactly turn back the tide of the increasing politicization of the military.   

And the "But Trump did it with Mattis" excuse is a really shitty way to look at pretty much anything that Biden does going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The Status Quo of say 1990-2010 is shockingly better than much of the status quo you'd find today. So, yeah I'll take that, even if I agreed with your premise, which I do not. But I certainly love Yang and Warren in their own right. 

Dude, I've lived in Texas my entire life. I remember the rise of Ted Cruz clearly. I don't know anyone who is worth a shit and who hasn't turned into a Trump gargling piece of shit who ever, ever thought Ted Cruz was anything other than a clown and a psycho grabbing power. You may as well be on here saying "Well, lots of folks really liked the way Hitler appealed to certain demographics." Get the fuck out of here. My first memories of Ted Cruz were entirely "Holy shit this guy is a fucking idiot" and it got worse every damn year after that. Even people I know who have voted for him rarely try to defend him. 

Look man, Pete runs a good game.  Ted Cruz also runs a good game. Both these guys wanted to be President since they were five years old. That’s all I’m saying. 

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Look man, Pete runs a good game.  Ted Cruz also runs a good game. Both these guys wanted to be President since they were five years old. That’s all I’m saying. 

Lets be fucking explicit. What you're "saying" is making a direct comparison between Pete Buttigeg and Ted Cruz. One you don't like because he's not progressive enough for you and you believe he's too kind to corporate interests. But he also is wildly intelligent, has served our military with honor, and generally speaking is young enough that there's reason to believe his general optimism and demeanor are genuine.

The other is Ted Cruz, who has shown himself repeatedly to be a spineless, power hungry and shameless piece of shit who's sole interest is power with a thinly veiled desire to discriminate against people who aren't of his faith and the only service he's ever performed in his life is for himself. Certainly not his constituents. He's currently an active voice pushing to undermine democracy itself, gleefully.

So yeah, what "you're saying" is complete fucking bullshit and I reject it out of hand in it's fucking entirety. Go put on your Anastasis hat and jerk off elsewhere. We might as well accuse you of being the same as every other TigerDroppings poster because you're from there and posted there before, so you're all the fucking same. Fuck off with your lazy, bullshit troll comment. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I really don't like this pick and it sounds like his confirmation may be DOA with a few key Dems showing some actual integrity and leadership in opposing a waiver for Austin.  He might be a great man capable of putting his citizen hat on for this role, but you won't convince me that there aren't plenty of qualified candidates who don't need a waiver.  The law was put in place for a reason and his confirmation wouldn't exactly turn back the tide of the increasing politicization of the military.   

And the "But Trump did it with Mattis" excuse is a really shitty way to look at pretty much anything that Biden does going forward.

The Mattis waiver passed 83-17.  The Mattis confirmation passed 98-1.  16 people grandstanded with the waiver vote and then turned around and confirmed him.

Including everyone's favorite, Elizabeth Warren. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

One you don't like because he's not progressive enough for you and you believe he's too kind to corporate interests.

I don’t like Pete because he’s dishonest and anti-progressive for political expediency reasons and he’s smart enough to know better.  If Pete could better advance his political career by being more progressive I have no doubt that’s exactly what he would do.  

He’s not a Republican like Ted Cruz so yeah, the comparison doesn’t really work but Pete is duplicitous all the same.  He’s well educated, spoken, and talks in focus group platitudes that work for him.  He’s better than any Republican but I don’t have to like him. 

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t like Pete because he’s dishonest and anti-progressive for political expediency reasons and he’s smart enough to know better.  If Pete could better advance his political career by being more progressive I have no doubt that’s exactly what he would do.  

He’s not a Republican like Ted Cruz so yeah, the comparison doesn’t really work but Pete is duplicitous all the same.  He’s well educated, spoken, and talks in focus group platitudes that work for him.  He’s better than any Republican but I don’t have to like him. 

See. Now this is a more fair response. And we can agree to disagree on his level of duplicity. 

But comparing him to Ted Cruz, even more than just general republicans, is a bridge well past too fucking far. It's 3 Bridges past too far. 

Don't worry, I don't think you're ever going to have to get on board with Pete because I'm pretty sure Black America is never going to accept him. 

in a move that surprises no one, republicans to start caring about the qualifications of cabinet posts again:

WASHINGTON — 

Senate Republicans raised red flags Monday over President-elect Joe Biden’s plan to nominate California Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra to be secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, although it is uncertain whether that could grow into enough opposition to scuttle the confirmation.

At least five Republicans objected to Becerra’s nomination, citing his endorsement of a government-run “Medicare for all” healthcare system, his support for abortion rights or his relative lack of healthcare expertise and experience running an expansive government agency.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-12-07/republicans-raise-red-flags-over-becerras-nomination-to-lead-biden-health-department

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Don't worry, I don't think you're ever going to have to get on board with Pete because I'm pretty sure Black America is never going to accept him. 

Maybe the right way to think about this is whether or not Pete earns the respect of black voters and not this attitude that's existed for a year+ that blacks are bigots for not immediately loving a young aspirational nerd they have never heard of and has no connection or history at all with them, their needs, or their community.

• Hook 'Em 1

You have to understand that any time Hugo makes a point about progressivism he's just taking what bad_teammate says and repeating it shittier and with panicked hyperbole

b_t: "Pete is a corporatist McKinsey drone" (semi-true)

Hugo: "Pete is a fake lying corporate shill and is basically Ted Cruz" (fucking stupid)

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Both these guys wanted to be President since they were five years old. That’s all I’m saying. 

so your argument here is that pete has wanted to be president since he was 5, and this is a bad thing and we don't like it.

i can only assume (correct me if i'm mistaken) that you accept this premise because of his resume and history of bernie-centric essays.  after mckinsey, he served in the military and was mayor of a small town in indiana.  so he's spent the past 10 years in public service to further stay the course towards wanting to be president.  which again, we don't like.

so instead, let's say he left mckinsey to join the corporate world and spent the past 10 years making six+ figures in finance or wherever, and then decided to pivot towards governmental work.  would that make you like him more?  would that make him more qualified to hold office?  

he probably only came out gay to pad his presidential resume too.

it's ok to admit that you have a silly hang-up and are just trying to justify not liking someone that...you just don't like.  it's ok.  you don't have to like everybody.  give me the young, smart guy with the ability to think and process with some presence and awareness who's still evolving as a leader.  the democratic bench needs more petes and betos and aoc's and stacy abrams, and ossoffs and omars.  keep em coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

His Frederick Douglass plan was/is groundbreaking.

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Biden appointing a military general on the board of Raytheon to be defense secretary and then championing “diversity” b/c he’s Black is so on brand tho.

i said this a couple of weeks ago, but one of their decision makers thinks 'diverse' and 'progressive' are interchangeable.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Watching former-Republican-now-hardcore-progressive-Warren-lover Hugo absolutely lose his fucking mind over Pete B. and General Austin is hilarious.  

I was never a Republican. I might have considered myself conservative at one point in time but never affiliated with the GOP.

The Pete stans that can’t let any criticism go is more hilarious. I, like other critics in this thread, were Pete fans at one time.  He changed though and we happened to notice.

I’m perfectly fine with being a stan of the guy who did real grassroots non-self aggrandizing work in 2020 over the guy who spent the year dropping zingers on Fox News morons, writing a book, and starting a podcast.

And “drank [their] milkshake”??? What’s your sorority’s philanthropy?

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Attack the messenger is the go to every time. 

If by "messenger" you mean "the asshole who showed up spouting stupid opinions" well then sure. TTomTerrific posted on this forum all the time too, was he just the messenger or a drunken, worm-brained racist piece of shit?

Or do you want to go in depth in defense of your initial statement, which is that Pete And Cruz are similar politicians and people. Go ahead, messenger, we'll wait for your thoughtful and detailed analysis. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

I truly don't get stanning for Pete. He's fine as far as talented, sociopathic politicians go. There's a lot of them and he's more talented than most, and I'd rather he be with the Democrats than Republicans. But anyone getting passionate about him is just weird.

• Hook 'Em 1