The Biden Cabinet

Bullneck

4 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't think the cabinet picks are good, but I also think that anything is better than the current cabinet so sign me up.

Lets get some more progressives in the house and maybe a few in the senate at midterms.

This cabinet so far is more than competent. America will stabilize - as promised. 

I am most closely following the foreign policy appointees and I have to say they’re a pleasant surprise.

State: Blinken is solid.  He is respected inside the building and is going to know how to use the tools he has from day one. He’s not a brilliant creative mind but he’s smart and he will have the ear of POTUS.

NSC: Sullivan was pretty much born to do this job. He’s a whiz kid and a bureaucratic judo master, which is what the NSA/NSC needs to be when run correctly— a coordinating body.

DOD:  My biggest gripe, simply because I hate the precedent we are setting.  This is not an indictment of Austin, but the top military brass need to KNOW that their route to political power is to run for office, not cozy up to Presidential hopefuls while in uniform.  We need a civilian there or someone who’s been out for a long time.  I blame the Republicans a lot for this because they’d rather approve waivers that undermine longstanding democratic principals and puff about their respect for the uniform than approve a competent civilian.

USUN:  My favorite pick, I don’t know how to say enough good things about Linda a Thomas-Greenfield. She’s a pro’s pro when it comes to diplomacy and has a pristine reputation among the diplomatic corps as former Director General of the Foreign Service, then HR, then ambassadorial posts.  And she accomplished all that while earning a reputation as the KINDEST high-level official in the service.  Her appointment tells the world that we are taking high level multilateralism seriously again and you’re going to get a serious person, not a regional politico burnishing “foreign policy” cred in service of higher political aims. And it tells our foreign policy community that expertise is important again.

Climate Envoy:  I fully support the creation of this role and Kerry lends it gravitas. Just it’s existence shows our Allies that we are trying to be an America that leads for good again.  The key will be implementing— how does this envoy figure into policy discussions.

This is a foreign policy team that tells the world— grownups are in charge again and there is a policy procedure. Do not try to get things done by telling Ivanka and Jared how nice and pretty they are.  And it offers some badly needed stability and course correction inside the nation’s foreign policy structures. They do not need more “disruption” or good idea fairy outside the box thinking.  They’ve been disrupted, completely and utterly, for four years and now we need to put air in the tires and gas in the tank before we pimp our foreign policy ride.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, Js1 said:

We need a USAID for the United States.  Seriously— building new schools, critical public infrastructure, public health programs, democracy, human rights and government promotion programming, anti-extremism and de-radicalization, all of it. I’m not saying we need to scrap the international development budget (which is truly tiny when compared with other developed nations).

Just that it’s time to start looking at huge swathes of the U.S. as also a developing nation.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

This cabinet so far is more than competent. America will stabilize - as promised. 

As long as fuckface McConnell continues his policy of abject obstructionism at every turn nothing will get better. Sure we won't have an embarrassing fucking torrent of verbal diarrhea from the oval office nonstop, but that's about the only thing that will change unless GA's runoffs fuck McConnell in his fucking face.

• Hook 'Em 1

I love Pete for transportation. That's such a rapidly changing area and industry that anyone overseeing it should be well-versed with technology and modernization. Pete is very much that. Good choice to find him something better than Ambassador to China and good fit for the role. This is a role that absolutely needed someone younger and tech-savvy and not one of Biden's 75 year old comfort hires.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I love Pete for transportation. That's such a rapidly changing area and industry that anyone overseeing it should be well-versed with technology and modernization. Pete is very much that. Good choice to find him something better than Ambassador to China and good fit for the role. This is a role that absolutely needed someone younger and tech-savvy and not one of Biden's 75 year old comfort hires.

Plus a mayor has good experience with transportation projects, the grant process with the DOT and he had some really good transpo/infrastructure plans when he ran. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also, from the article:

Two of the sources said Biden’s team was close to finalizing the decision on Haaland, but was weighing concerns about the loss of a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives, where Democrats are hanging on to a slim majority. The third source said the decision was made and that an announcement was imminent.

Now, if she leaves, does the governor get to appoint a new rep or is there a special election?  Udall, who is my choice, is a Senator there, but I believe the governor gets to appoint a new senator right?  NM is blue as fuck anyway.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Also, from the article:

Now, if she leaves, does the governor get to appoint a new rep or is there a special election?  Udall, who is my choice, is a Senator there, but I believe the governor gets to appoint a new senator right?  NM is blue as fuck anyway.

Special election

Udall is retiring, it won’t matter

Whoever ends up as the Secretary of Education has some work to do from day 1:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/15/betsy-devos-biden-education-department-445900

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos urged career employees at the Education Department on Tuesday to “be the resistance” when the Biden administration comes into power next month, according to a recording of her remarks obtained by POLITICO.

During a department-wide virtual meeting to discuss the shift to the new administration, DeVos acknowledged that most of the agency’s thousands of career employees “will be here through the coming transition and beyond.”

“Let me leave you with this plea: Resist,” DeVos said. “Be the resistance against forces that will derail you from doing what’s right for students. In everything you do, please put students first — always.”

An Education Department spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment on the remarks. The department also would not say whether DeVos plans to stay in office until Jan. 20.

The secretary told Education Department employees on Tuesday that her goal “in everything we accomplished was to do what’s right for students,” adding that “four years later it’s still my focus and it’s still my hope for all of you.” She touted her overhaul of Title IX rules governing sexual assault and misconduct in schools and colleges as one of her major accomplishments.

The secretary's remarks come after nearly four years of frequently sparring with the career employees of her department. She tangled with the agency’s union over reorganizations and workplace policies, such as teleworking rules, and blamed bureaucrats at the agency for making it difficult to get things done.

“This building has caused more problems than it solved,” DeVos said of the Education Department during an interview with Reason magazine this fall.

Political appointees at the Education Department also sought to investigate and punish career employees who they suspected of leaking information to the press. Across the government, Trump administration officials frequently derided the “Deep State” and accused career employees of trying to continually subvert the president’s agenda.

DeVos’ use of the word “resistance,” in reading from what appeared to be prepared remarks, mimics liberal opposition to President Donald Trump.