Thirty years ago today...

Dennis Taylor

I missed it. My girlfriend at the time was a Tennessee cheerleader and I was in Knoxville for the Tennessee/Notre Dame game that day. Went back to her apartment and watched the Texas game. She was livid and bitter about the Vol's game and so the better Texas played the more pissed off and insufferable she became. She finally went to bed and when the Texas game ended we had the best makeup sex of my young life. The euphoria of destroying UH and that crazy bitch screaming obscenity after obscenity at "that motherfucker Andy Kelly" was other worldly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I missed it. My girlfriend at the time was a Tennessee cheerleader and I was in Knoxville for the Tennessee/Notre Dame game that day. Went back to her apartment and watched the Texas game. She was livid and bitter about the Vol's game and so the better Texas played the more pissed off and insufferable she became. She finally went to bed and when the Texas game ended we had the best makeup sex of my young life. The euphoria of destroying UH and that crazy bitch screaming obscenity after obscenity at "that motherfucker Andy Kelly" was other worldly. 

/csb

Had heard about that game but never saw clips of that so that was pretty cool. Pos rep for the clips. Funny thing is was I was fast forwarding and came to a part at 1 hour on part 2 where the announcers were talking about how good of a leader kingler is cause he never lost hope and was hyping his teammates...only as the camera shows him on the sideline with no one around him and his head down. And of course as I’m writing this, the sound plays in the background “and I think we can say Texas is back!”. Arghhh that phrase. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Graduated May of '90. Came back for this game. No doubt that's the loudest Texas Memorial Stadium ever was. Damn that was a good drunk that night. I was also one of the idiots on the track for the last 5 minutes. As the ball was snapped near the south end zone I'd run 2 steps onto the field on the north 35 to say I was on the field during SWC league play.

For those not familiar with the 1990 game against Houston, bear in mind that Houston had absolutely destroyed Texas in each of the three prior games by a combined score of 173-64.  Houston had Heisman-winner Andre Ware playing in the last two of those games, and it was f'in ugly.
By 1990, Ware was gone, but David Klingler had taken his place and was slinging the ball around with the same results.  The Texas team and fans were completely sick of getting curb-stomped, and we finally had a good team and a defense with the speed to deal with Houston's run-and-shoot.  We were not going to be denied that day.  It was a night game and everyone had plenty of time to get liquored up in advance.  The crowd was yelling the entire game and, after a bit of a slow start, the Horns beat the shit out of Houston basically all night.   
Yup. The UH come uppance was definitely my hate vector for that game. It was a glorious game.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hey. You don't have to take that shit from him. I got a good laugh out of "that motherfucker Andy Kelly".

Wherever that broad is, she can sleep easy knowing Tennessee has a more recent MNC.

I wasn't giving him shit. That was a truly cool story. Horns win, and get's a memorable lay out of it. A lay he remembers 30 years later. I should be so lucky.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

I need photos. Big hair and all.

21 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I need photos. Big hair and all.

This is the only picture I could find of Andy Kelly without a helmet on. Hair is surprisingly not that big.

10+ Billboard ideas | billboard, saturday down south, tennessee volunteers  football

And @ztejas I couldn't tell if that was a joke or not about the Miami Cottonbowl, but got dam that was the worst fucking day. My seats, that I was so proud to buy weeks ahead of time just knowing that the Horns were going to win the conference, were under the overhang and that wind was whipping through there. I'm pretty sure that's the coldest I've ever been in my life. Hungover, freezing my ass off, and Miami humiliated us in the most despicable way imaginable. Just the fucking worst.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is the only picture I could find of Andy Kelly without a helmet on. Hair is surprisingly not that big.

10+ Billboard ideas | billboard, saturday down south, tennessee volunteers  football

And @ztejas I couldn't tell if that was a joke or not about the Miami Cottonbowl, but got dam that was the worst fucking day. My seats, that I was so proud to buy weeks ahead of time just knowing that the Horns were going to win the conference, were under the overhang and that wind was whipping through there. I'm pretty sure that's the coldest I've ever been in my life. Hungover, freezing my ass off, and Miami humiliated us in the most despicable way imaginable. Just the fucking worst.

It was an attempt at a joke. And you're description matches everything I've ever read or heard accounted about that game.