Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Wow.....I get negged twice for welcoming a darn good left tackle to the 40. Wtf is wrong with you clowns? 

Recruiting news goes in the recruiting board. Some of these folks are quite meticulous about organization.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Clob94 said:

Oh..... aggy negged me. I see. 

Dunno who negged you - not me. You do deserve it, though. There are folks who respond best to praise, but this is not the place to see that in action... here the teaching method is punishment only, generally. If you're a praise-needer, you should seek it elsewhere. 

Go now. Quickly.

UT rated with #1 toughest non conference schedule for this season:

Athlon: Texas has Big 12's toughest schedule in 2018 - 247Sports

May 15, 2018 - News. News Feed · Latest Headlines · Videos · Board · Football ... Due to playing a round-robin schedule in the Big 12 Conference ... On Tuesday, Athlon Sports published its ranking of the Big 12's toughest schedules for the 2018 ... Texas concludes the non-conference slate in Week 3 against USC, ...

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

She will be missed when her 4 years of eligibility are up.

Boyd's mom ought to take her up on that offer.

I'm not sure the Boyds live with their parents. Never saw them on the recruiting process - seemed to only go places with the Traylors and another white family.

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

I'm not sure the Boyds live with their parents. Never saw them on the recruiting process - seemed to only go places with the Traylors and another white family.

Yeah, I think of all the kids on our team, maybe the Boyds need the most slack.  They've had it pretty tough growing up I think.

IT 2018 Texas Season Preview: Defensive Line

Other than recruiting there isn't a whole lot in the off-season to tide us over other than talking about the team. Because of that, most of you know the current roster about as well as anyone. However, I do find it a worthwhile exercise to reassess each position and player one more time ahead of the season as a way to resharpen our familiarity with each.

I'm going to start with the defensive line because I believe it will set the tempo for the entire team. With its mix of experience, developed talent, and infusion of youth, the defensive line should be the most consistent week-in, week-out performers on the team.

SR DE Breckyn Hager, #44, 6-3, 255: Past: Unheralded linebacker/defensive end from a heralded football family. Present: He won't come off the field much this season. He can play an outside stand-up role or put his hand in the ground as a 4i defensive end. He'll play nose tackle if you ask him to. A hyper-aggressive player who is physically in the best shape of his life. Future: Hager should spend as much time on the other side of the line of scrimmage as his own. In many ways he's become the heart and soul of the team, so good play from him should inspire others. Explosive edge play will have his name called at next year's NFL draft.

SR DE Charles Omenihu, #90, 6-6, 275: Past: Underrated due to long-term growth curve but upon thorough evaluation he had immense upside due to his length, ability to play with leverage, and mental evaluation. Present: Has flashed immense potential at times but has yet to fill the stat sheet like he can. Started 12 games last season and barring injury will start them all this year. Future: Both Omenihu and Hager should see their statistics increase dramatically as defensive coordinator Todd Orlando looks to employ a four-man front more often. Both ends should also be aided by a stout secondary. Omenihu is already on the radar of NFL scouting departments but he has the chance to become a very well known commodity this season.

SR DT Chris Nelson, #97, 6-1, 315: Past: Florida transplant who played linebacker into his junior year of high school, though he projected to defensive tackle. Present:With the prevalence of three-man fronts, Nelson has played end for much of his career. His body type won't lend to stuffing the stat sheet from end, but he can play the run well. Future: Nelson will try to fill the void left by Poona Ford as he swings inside to his natural habitat. The more disruptive he can be, the better off the linebackers will have it. At a bare minimum he should be above average.

SR DL Jamari Chisholm, #91, 6-4, 300: Past: Originally from Valdosta, Georgia, he attended Northeastern Oklahoma A&M prior to Texas. Present: Has only seen spot action, though his frame lends to versatility. Future: Chisholm looks the part and should be solid depth or someone who finishes games late.

JR DT Gerald Wilbon, #94, 6-3, 310: Past: Barrel-chested interior lineman who was part of a monster defensive line class in Louisiana. Present: Was recruited to be more of a two-gapper but has done well to keep weight off in hopes to become more disruptive as a gap-taker. Thus far he's been solid. Future: Should see snaps increase in four-man looks, or as a substitute for Nelson in three-man. There's nothing spectacular about him, but there's always a place for workmanlike effort and strength in the trenches. Should be good versus the run.

JR DT D'Andre Christmas, #55, 6-3, 315: Past: Was a late-bloomer due to sitting out his junior year of high school due to a transfer. As a senior showed great ability to disrupt off the ball. Present: The most notable aspect of his time at Texas thus far is dropping the -Giles from his name. Apparently Oscar has yet to forgive him. Future: We should see more of Christmas this season but he's already firmly on the Gaskamp watch list for 2019.

SO DL Ta'Quon Graham, #49, 6-4, 285: Past: Blossomed from a 220 pound edge rusher to 260 pound defensive linemen over the course of his high school career. An injury filled senior season kept his ranking lower than it should have been. Present: Arrived with a mental maturity that immediately impressed the coaches. His physical maturity helped, too. One of the strongest players on the team. Saw action in 12 games as a true freshman. Future: He sounds like a big part of the plans this season as a possible first alternate at both defensive end and tackle. Guys like Graham give efficacy to playing multiple fronts. Probably a year away from a breakout, but he'll show plenty of promise this season.

SO DE Marqez Bimage, #42, 6-2, 255: Past: With one of the best first-steps in the 2017 class, Bimage was only a three-star because of his lack of length and positional clarity. Linebacker or defensive end? This staff didn't care and he was a priority at Houston and then at Texas. Present: Currently known as having the strongest squat on the team (700 pounds), he'll likely become better known for playing with aggression and explosiveness off the edge as a back-up to Hager. Future: Expect to see Bimage show promise this season before becoming a starter or heavy-rotation player in 2019. The staff wants to throw waves of grown men at offensives, and like Graham, Bimage fits the bill.

SO DE Andrew Fitzgerald, #48, 6-5, 265: Past: A technical defensive end with an exceptional frame and motor. Present: Amazingly he has yet to see the field after red-shirting and then missing time last year with an injury. Fitzgerald has made strides to get stronger in his time on campus. Future: Unsure. I was high on him coming out of high school but now I don't know what to expect of him. Sources indicate he'll play this year but I don't know how much.

FR DL Moro Ojomo, #98, 6-2, 285: Past: Moved to California from Nigeria when he was seven. With their ultimate goal to live in America, the family continued on to Texas when Ojomo was in the seventh grade. There he found his way into the Katy farm system. Present: Ojomo is best known for looking and playing like a full grown man at the age of 16. Future: Despite his age he'll likely prove too good to red-shirt. Expect him to get experience this season before taking on an expanded role in 2019. He has the look of a gap-shooting terror.

FR DT Keondre Coburn, #99, 6-3, 330: Past: Was 6-1.5, 330, but apparently grew like a few others. As a recruit reviews were mixed on Coburn but I think he has rare quickness and solid lateral ability for his body type. He does play with the power you'd expect. Present: Playing time is on the table for Coburn, but he's going to have to prove to be in shape and reliable. Future: Worst case scenario he should be an anchor in the middle but he has the raw ability to be more if he puts in the work. I think he'll put in the work.

FR DL Mike Williams, #37, 6-2, 275: Past: An already big quarterback who kept getting bigger, Williams showed actual dual-threat ability and might have stayed there had he not been so big boned. Present: The Henry Melton plan -- from offense to defense while wearing #37 -- is already off to a fast start. Sources have raved about his work in the weight room and ability to move in agility drills. Future: I don't think they'll need him to play this year, but I'm not sure they'll be able to keep him off the field early, especially with their eye towards 2019.

FR DL Daniel Carson, #88, 6-4, 300: Past: I was early on liking Carson and was upset when I didn't think they'd get him. It's easy to see he has a nice stain and scratch-free resistant floor, but I think there's a bit more ceiling there than he's given credit for. Interestingly, in his native Missouri he won state in shot put with a throw that would have been two feet better than the Texas 5A winner (would have been third in 6A). Present: Per a source, that 300 pound listing is in the ballpark which changes his projection. Future: I believe Carson will red-shirt due to technical limitations, but as an interior player with length and defensive end-ish athleticism, I think Carson has a chance to be the biggest steal in the class relative to expectations.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, po elvis said:

what does it explain? why our win-loss record has been shitty lately? because our offense and defense sucked?

My takeaway is that the offense and defense have not been good (or even decent) in the same year for a long time - to the point that they show a bizarre inverse relationship. So yeah, that explains a shitty W/L record. 

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It was tagged in the tweet originally quoted. It's probably not a big deal but really don't feel comfortable posting her name on a message board.  

Fair enough.  I went to her twitter and saw her picture.  I do not recognize her.  She seems like a really cool lady.