If you could Hot Tub Time Machine yourself to any concert or festival in the past, where would you go?

burntorangebongos

That Nirvana show at Liberty Lunch was awesome and I will always be grateful that I was there to see it. 

Aside from the obvious obvious Led Zepellin, Stones, The Who, Bowie, Queen, Neil Young, Jimi or Woodstock answers, my personal answer has to be The Replacements at First Avenue in May 1987.

https://replacementslivearchive.blogspot.com/2014/02/may-27-1987-first-avenue-minneapolis-mn.html

51 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

That Nirvana show at Liberty Lunch was awesome and I will always be grateful that I was there to see it. 

Aside from the obvious obvious Led Zepellin, Stones, The Who, Bowie, Queen, Neil Young, Jimi or Woodstock answers, my personal answer has to be The Replacements at First Avenue in May 1987.

https://replacementslivearchive.blogspot.com/2014/02/may-27-1987-first-avenue-minneapolis-mn.html

That set list cracks me up.

I've seen the 'mats and Paul solo many times, but I am very glad I went to their "local reunion" in Minneapolis 5 years or so ago.  It was righteous.

Fyre fest so I could laugh at all the hipsters going Lord of the Flies on each other.

I don’t enjoy big multi-day music festivals, really.  I would probably just choose a Pink Floyd performance of DSOTM or Wish You Were Here before they all got pissy with each other or the Allman Brothers lineup that played at Fillmore East.

The Beatles, circa 1962, Star-Club in Hamburg.

Monterey Pop Festival -- 1967

Bruce Springsteen, 1978, at the Roxy

Elton John, 1970, at the Troubadour

Concert for George -- 2002

Allman Brothers, 1971, at the Fillmore East

Bob Marley, 1975, at the Lyceum

The Clash, 1979, the Palladium

Pretty much any James Brown show from the mid-1960's

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

The Beatles, circa 1962, Star-Club in Hamburg.

Monterey Pop Festival -- 1967

Bruce Springsteen, 1978, at the Roxy

Elton John, 1970, at the Troubadour

Concert for George -- 2002

Allman Brothers, 1971, at the Fillmore East

Bob Marley, 1975, at the Lyceum

The Clash, 1979, the Palladium

Pretty much any James Brown show from the mid-1960's

Concert for George, but after intermission.  

That was the 82 line up. In 83 they had the days split by genre. I actually sent away for a VHS of Metal day out of the back of Circus Magazine

Sunday, May 29 (Heavy Metal Day) Edit
Quiet Riot
Mötley Crüe
Ozzy Osbourne
Judas Priest
Triumph
Scorpions
Van Halen

On 12/7/2020 at 9:05 PM, davidg said:

Goddamn what a lineup. How did Missing Persons get lumped into Rock Day and not New Wave Day?

43 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake, Iowa February 2, 1959

Elvis in Vegas

Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr in Vegas (not a big fan of Sinatra)

These are all good, and I think you have the right order.

Watching some of those later Elvis shows on youtube...would've been something to see in person.  "Fat Elvis" persona aside, that guy knew how to work a crowd.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

None taken on my part.  Stevie played Hendrix better than Hendrix, (technically at least, blasphemous statement maybe).

Progress is incremental.  We may never have known of SRV, or at least in the same way, if there had been no Hendrix.

There's no Chuck Yeager if there's no Orville and Wilbur to take that first step.

Edited by Chad Fuck

12 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Progress is incremental.  We may never have known of SRV, or at least in the same way, if there had been no Hendrix.

There's no Chuck Yeager if there's no Orville and Wilbur to take that first step.

'Zactly.  No Hendrix no SRV.  That's why I say technically, because his guitar playing was absolutely amazing. Hendrix emotional play/sound was stronger IMO.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

spacer.png

spacer.pngNevermind, I actually went to this.  With 400,000 of my closest friends.  Sweated my ass off and watched shitty music on a TV screen a mile away from the stage.  At least the drive home in traffic kicked ass.

It took me like 8 hours to get there.  From Irving.  We waited for like 3 hours in the parking lot just waiting for it to clear out enough to get out.

Good times.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:47 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I just highlighted the ones I didn't see live.  😁😁😁😁😁

On 12/10/2020 at 12:48 PM, Chad Fuck said:

These are all good, and I think you have the right order.

Watching some of those later Elvis shows on youtube...would've been something to see in person.  "Fat Elvis" persona aside, that guy knew how to work a crowd.

I saw fat Elvis at Tarrant County Convention Ctr in ‘77. It was my first concert ever. I was 9.
He died like 6mo’s later. 

On 12/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

None taken on my part.  Stevie played Hendrix better than Hendrix, (technically at least, blasphemous statement maybe).

I like Stevie's "Voodoo Child" better actually.  I love Stevie for sure, but Hendrix invented shit nobody ever though of then. But Jimmy was on his own "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" so that might have added to the creativity.  I still remember wishing (and knowing it was wrong)... let it be Robert Cray, please let it be Robert Cray.

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

SRV's Little Wing is so much better to me than Hendrix.  It's so clean. 

That's the difference to me.  Hendrix was like Keith Moon to Stevie's John Bonham.  Hendrix was a rhythmic mess, brilliant to be sure, but it always felt like he was on the verge of falling apart.  Stevie was always in complete control.