If you could Hot Tub Time Machine yourself to any concert or festival in the past, where would you go?

burntorangebongos

All Grateful Dead shows:

6/22/73 PNE Coliseum in Vancouver, BC
4/30/77 The Palladium in New York, New York
5/8/77 Barton Hall in Ithaca, New York
7/8/78 Red Rocks
7/4/89 Rich Stadium in Buffalo, New York
7/7/89 JFK Stadium in Philly
6/13/89 Rich Stadium in Buffalo (my first show)
3/16/94 Rosemont Horizon in Chicago
3/17/94 Rosemont Horizon in Chicago (my last 2 shows)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy Shit! What year was this? Early 80s? I would so fucking do this. Sunday would be my best day but the Friday would also be awesome. 

What a great topic with SO many possible answers.

First, Woodstock. If I survived that, I’d then hit these shows...

Us Festival 

Live AID

U2 at Red Rocks ‘83

SRV at ACL ‘89 - (never saw him)

Petty - anytime, anywhere (again, never got to see him=huge regret)

Pear Jam at Pink Pop in ‘00 AND at MTV’s Unplugged in NY

Eagles - somewhere in ‘75 to hear “Seven Bridges Road”

Not exactly a concert, but I’d love to have been able to drop in on PJ & Neil somewhere between Jan-Feb of ‘95 to watch them record “Mirror Ball”

I could go on and on.

Again, great topic! Thanks!

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Holy Shit! What year was this? Early 80s? I would so fucking do this. Sunday would be my best day but the Friday would also be awesome. 

I actually went on Friday.  I’d time machine back because I don’t remember shit.

• Haha 1

Woodstock in an Airstream, with hip waders, a poncho, and 4 lbs. of shrooms, Sid, and OG Kush, as my no. 1 choice

Whisky a GO GO for an early Doors show

1984 Talking Heads stop making sense tour

Waiting for Columbus tour, Little Feat

Patsy Cline any show

Nat King Cole any show

Mozart in a powdered wig

Grateful Dead any show pre 1980, no Donna gaucho shows though 

There's a long list,  but if I could see any or all of those I'd die a happy man.

So many to choose from:

Monterrey Pop - 1967

Stones - Madison Square Garden November 27, 1969 (Taped for Get Yer Ya Yas Out)

Cream - Winterland Ballroom and/or Fillmore West 1968

Johnny Winter - Vulcan Gas Company, any time from 1968-1970, when he was still playing with Tommy Shannon and John Turner

Led Zeppelin - Pretty much any show from 1969-1972

Willie - Any show at the Armadillo

Frank Zappa - Ditto above for Willie

Grateful Dead- one of the Acid Tests

in April 1970, there was a run of shows at the Fillmore West where Miles Davis, just having released Bitches Brew, opened for the Dead.  The Black Beauty recording is from one of these.

also GD, one show each year in 72, 73, 74, 77, and 89.  Part of the fun is being surprised by what they play and they were consistently great during each of these years.

Phish-12/31/95 at MSG, The Great Went and MSG New year’s run (both in 97), and the Drums Logos show in Fukuoka, Japan in 2000

The Who - Live at Leeds.

i know it is too many, so if I had to choose one it would be an Acid Test.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Macanudo said:

SRV played Aquafest in '89.  ACL didnt exist yet.

And I was there. 

SRV played ACL, the actual television show, in 1989 and 1983.

I would have chosen to see SRV at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1985, though.

Edited by Jerry Callo

I saw SRV open for the Who at the Cotton Bowl in '89.  Fabulous Thunderbirds "opened" for SRV.  

Lots of shows here I would've like to see have been mentioned.  A couple I haven't seen mentioned:

Beatles at the Cavern or in Hamburg just prior to breaking big.  Some of those crappy early live recordings sounds like nascent punk.  Plus they were all hopped up on uppers.  I'll bet that was a scene.  

Nirvana at Trees in Dallas just for the absurdity.  I would've liked to have seen them anywhere, but I had friends who went to that show.  I missed it because I didn't have the scratch at the time.

Velvet Underground with Nico

Pixies in their prime.  Another band that broke up just as I was figuring out I was into them.

Django Reinhardt somewhere in pre-war Paris.  

Louis Armstrong in NOLA before he left for Chicago

Howlin' Wolf any damn where I could.  

Robert Johnson in some juke joint in Mississippi

I'd like to take a stroll through Deep Ellum around 1914, just to hear what was coming out of doorways.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

(Although I wish the lineup was reversed)

spacer.png

Red Hot Chili Peppers setlist:
  1. Love Trilogy
  2. Organic Anti-Beat Box Band
  3. Bullet Proof
  4. Suck My Kiss
  5. Blackeyed Blonde
  6. Funky Crime
  7. Give It Away
  8. Nobody Weird Like Me
  9. If You Have to Ask
  10. Stone Cold Bush
  11. Blood Sugar Sex Magik
  12. Magic Johnson
  13. I Could Have Lied
  14. Subway to Venus
  15. Poptones
  16. Fopp / Party on Your Pussy / Red Hot Mama
  17. Good God
  18. Me & My Friends
  19. Yertle Trilogy
  20. Crosstown Traffic

Nirvana setlist:

1. Drain You
  2. Aneurysm
  3. School
  4. Floyd the Barber
  5. Smells Like Teen Spirit
  6. About a Girl
  7. Polly
  8. Sliver
  9. Breed
  10. Come as You Are
  11. Lithium
  12. Territorial Pissings

Pearl Jam setlist:

1. Once
  2. Even Flow
  3. Why Go
  4. Jeremy
  5. Alive
  6. Leash
  7. Porch

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Nirvana at Trees in Dallas just for the absurdity.  I would've liked to have seen them anywhere, but I had friends who went to that show.  I missed it because I didn't have the scratch at the time.

I couldn't get tix for their show at Liberty Lunch.  Managed to worm my way into the back lot and sat right by the open back door, watching them from about 20 feet, stage right.

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I couldn't get tix for their show at Liberty Lunch.  Managed to worm my way into the back lot and sat right by the open back door, watching them from about 20 feet, stage right.

Asshole.  

I saw Radiohead play Trees in support of Pablo Honey.  Somewhere I have a cassette single of "Creep" they were tossing into the audience.  So I have that.  Totally predicted they would be a forgettable one hit wonder.  So chalk that up to the long list of Chad's huge misses.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Wish I had gone to one of Willie's picnics, hell just a Willie show would've been fine. 

Would like to have seen BJoel in a small venue before hitting it big with The Stranger, same with Bruce and Stone Pony. 

Tom Jones in Vegas. 

Know this is music only but would add seeing Pryor and Carlin in person, taping of the Tonight Show with Johnny. 

Wish I had gone to one of Willie's picnics, hell just a Willie show would've been fine. 

Would like to have seen BJoel in a small venue before hitting it big with The Stranger, same with Bruce and Stone Pony. 

Tom Jones in Vegas. 

Know this is music only but would add seeing Pryor and Carlin in person, taping of the Tonight Show with Johnny. 

On 12/6/2020 at 5:24 PM, burntorangebongos said:

@jimmyjazz, that US Festival seems like it took place in 82 in San Bernardino, CA. Did you go? Holy shit, I want to be at that Sunday so bad. 

Two years 82 and 83 

83 lineup is the one I’d go to

Saturday, May 28 (New Wave Day)Edit

Sunday, May 29 (Heavy Metal Day)Edit

Monday, May 30 (Rock Day)Edit

Saturday June 4th (Country Day)Edit

Tom Jones in Vegas. 

You can still go to Willie’s picnics. I don’t think he’s quit having them.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:47 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I was there.  Check this shit out:  My dad (from Pettit TX) owned a small trucking company here in SoCal.  His best friend from Pettit also ended up in SoCal and ran an ice company.  His ice company got the contract to supply ice to the US festival.   Naturally, he contracted with my Dad to haul the ice to the US Festival.   Trucks dropping reefer trailers full of ice at the Festival, and hauling empty trailers back to the icehouse for reloading over and over and over.  

As you might imagine, 18 year old me not only got a free ride to inside the festival, but also had a nice camp setup hauled in as well, and food and drinks hauled in to me (and my buddies) over and over (my big brother and my BIL were the drivers, and treated me right). 

Wasn't bad at all.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Tom Jones in Vegas. 

Fucking Tom Jones.

• Hook 'Em 1