Formula 1 2021

wood

I’m fairly new to F1, but it seems like most people agree Spain is a fairly boring race most years. At least we have Monaco to look forward to after that! 

Portimao seemed like a weird race that probably doesn’t lend itself to a lot of takeaways for future races. 

It’ll be interesting to see if Alpine have started to find their pace. It would be fun to add another team to the Ferrari/McLaren battle for third. It’s still early, but it seems like McLaren has the superior car to Ferrari and they might be able to pull away as Danny Ric gets more acclimated to the car. Especially if Ferrari keeps their current quality of strategy decisions. 

I’m fairly new to F1, but it seems like most people agree Spain is a fairly boring race most years. At least we have Monaco to look forward to after that! 

Portimao seemed like a weird race that probably doesn’t lend itself to a lot of takeaways for future races. 

It’ll be interesting to see if Alpine have started to find their pace. It would be fun to add another team to the Ferrari/McLaren battle for third. It’s still early, but it seems like McLaren has the superior car to Ferrari and they might be able to pull away as Danny Ric gets more acclimated to the car. Especially if Ferrari keeps their current quality of strategy decisions. 

Spain is definitely boring because it’s not a good track for overtaking, but it’s a good circuit to test the strength of your race car, because it has a good mix of corner types.
  • Hook 'Em 1

They just need to go to the Mario Kart Rainbow Road method.
Elevate the track a few dozen feet off the ground, no curbs or railing.
Problem solved.

They could eliminate all of this by just making the tracks ovals, with all left turns. But no one asks me for answers.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Monaco is my absolute favorite race on the calendar for the history and spectacle of it all, but if you think Spain is boring, then I don't think you're going to find the processional parade in Monte Carlo to be all that exciting either.  Although rain, and the occasional pit stop gaffe, can mix it up a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Monaco GP above all others, but its strengths are not in the actual on-track racing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Monaco is my absolute favorite race on the calendar for the history and spectacle of it all, but if you think Spain is boring, then I don't think you're going to find the processional parade in Monte Carlo to be all that exciting either.  Although rain, and the occasional pit stop gaffe, can mix it up a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Monaco GP above all others, but its strengths are not in the actual on-track racing.

Ha. Yeah, that was sarcasm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's sad that Texas is so far out of mind that we can't even be insultingly referred to as Williams or Haas.

I'll take it. I'm just happy that we weren't insulting referred to as one of those teams ...

• Hook 'Em 1

Just mostly watched the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix that somebody posted to YouTube in it’s entirety in February of this year. That counts as 2021 F1, doesn’t it?

I actually attended this race and was bummed when the race never returned to Big D

Random thoughts:
- Man, that track surface was horrible!!
- That was a pretty fun course though.
- These cars look small.
- What a race among the top 5 for most of the early part of the race! Wouldn’t it be interesting to see the leaders packed that tightly now for so long?
- These pit stops are slow. Are they changing engines?
- Shirtless pit crew?
- It really makes you think about how dangerous this sport has been considering the announcers talked of an increased emphasis on safety. So many unsafe practices observed in this event. Ha.
- How long can you leave a disabled or wrecked car on the track without a safety car?
- Williams!!!
- Ferrari !!
- Lotus should be a team again.
- I always liked the JPS livery
- Whew, it was hot and humid that day.
- Multiple manufacturers of tires in the race.
- Two different tire compounds on front and rear?
- A set of these tires “costs over $500!”
- Are there points awarded for parallel parking along the track?
- Man that track surface was horrible!!
- Williams!!!
- Ferrari!!

Finally, linking this back to the current season:
Track limits? Move more than 12-18 inches outside the white line and a concrete barrier enforces the track limits instead of an arbitrary decision by Masi or race stewards.
  • Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Just mostly watched the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix that somebody posted to YouTube in it’s entirety in February of this year. That counts as 2021 F1, doesn’t it?

I actually attended this race and was bummed when the race never returned to Big D

Random thoughts:
- Man, that track surface was horrible!!
- That was a pretty fun course though.
- These cars look small.
- What a race among the top 5 for most of the early part of the race! Wouldn’t it be interesting to see the leaders packed that tightly now for so long?
- These pit stops are slow. Are they changing engines?
- Shirtless pit crew?
- It really makes you think about how dangerous this sport has been considering the announcers talked of an increased emphasis on safety. So many unsafe practices observed in this event. Ha.
- How long can you leave a disabled or wrecked car on the track without a safety car?
- Williams!!!
- Ferrari !!
- Lotus should be a team again.
- I always liked the JPS livery
- Whew, it was hot and humid that day.
- Multiple manufacturers of tires in the race.
- Two different tire compounds on front and rear?
- A set of these tires “costs over $500!”
- Are there points awarded for parallel parking along the track?
- Man that track surface was horrible!!
- Williams!!!
- Ferrari!!

Finally, linking this back to the current season:
Track limits? Move more than 12-18 inches outside the white line and a concrete barrier enforces the track limits instead of an arbitrary decision by Masi or race stewards.

- Those cars were small, esp compared to the RV sized behemoths they roll out there now.

- Yeah, the guys working the race in cutoff jean shorts and no shirts ... really shows you how ragtag F1 was not that long ago, and how far Bernie brought it from that.

- Yep, they used to allow compound mixing. Wish they still did, a la MotoGP. Open things up a bit.

- And yeah, back then the tracks themselves enforced the limits. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

T1 all day: track limits? What track limits?

As bad as indycar at cota was, most tracks indycar goes to don't have runoff areas. You're either in a wall or sliding on grass.

If F1 were football, you couldn't touch the line from the 50-40, you could touch but not go over the line from 40-30, from 30-20 you could run in the bench area but only if the ball wasn't in the air, and then from 20- the end zone you're back to the middle proposition, unless you get touched, in which case you're flagged.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wood said:

- Yeah, the guys working the race in cutoff jean shorts and no shirts ... really shows you how ragtag F1 was not that long ago, and how far Bernie brought it from that.

i like the pre-professional, grassroots nature of older F1

people nonchallatantly on the track

monaco-grand-prix-1966-graham-hill.jpg

28C9B8F500000578-3082053-image-m-112_143

dudes in the pit looking like theyre wrenching in their backyard

ba55458402e855e437ceff83b9a391c3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Penske: F1 return to Indianapolis "on the horizon"

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/64601/f1-return-to-indianapolis-on-the-horizon/

"Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner Roger Penske has revealed F1's return to the circuit is "on the horizon" following talks with the sport's CEO Stefano Domenicali.

F1 recently signed a 10-year contract to stage a grand prix in Miami from 2022 as it seeks expansion in the United States.
 At present, however, there is a question mark over whether there will be a United States Grand Prix next season as F1's deal with current hosts, Austin's Circuit of the Americas, expires after this year's race in October.

It has raised the possibility of F1 potentially returning to IMS, where it last raced in 2007, with Penske holding “more than a couple” of discussions with Domenicali about the prospect.

“He’d love to come to Indy, but I think they have to decide about how many races they can have in North America,” Penske told the IndyStar. “We’re always interested, but we’re going to need to look at the economics.

“And I don’t think you’d expect us, based on what we’ve been through in 2020 and 2021 here, to be ready to overcommit to an F1 race right now. But it’s on the horizon.”

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown recently suggested F1 could rotate a second US race between Indy and COTA, an idea Penske is not averse to.

"We would like to have one every year if it’s a commercially beneficial situation," added Penske.

"On the other hand, even if it was, you could have it every two years. That would be great, too. I’m open, but we’ve never really gotten down to that kind of discussion at all.”

Edited by wood

What a jackass ...

NASCAR at COTA: Kevin Harvick ready to finally bring 'more relevant' racing to Austin

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/pro/2021/05/05/nascar-cota-austin-kevin-harvick-ready-race-texas/4958364001/

(behind a paywall, but just open it in an incognito browser, then hit the X to stop downloading as soon as the text shows up)

Kevin Harvick is one of the biggest names in NASCAR, a red-blooded, traditional American race car driver eager to show Austin-area motorsports fans what they've been missing all these years.

The 45-year-old former Cup Series champion and annual title contender from Bakersfield, Calif., knows what his sales pitch would be for this month's first NASCAR race at Circuit of the Americas, a track best known for entertaining the glitzy, international Formula One crowd.

"Stock car racing is much more relevant to the United States of America in what we do from a racing standpoint with our cars and the way they look," Harvick said. "The type of individual we attract is going to be very blue collar, you know, more like your average day-to-day person you see that does normal things.

"NASCAR is much more relatable from a down-to-earth people standpoint than what you will find in Formula One. Of course, F1 has its crowd and its show, but it's all about the qualifying. Our races have a lot of passing, that's for sure."

Asked in an exclusive interview with the American-Statesman if he's ever taken a spin in an F1 or Indy car, Harvick was blunt.

"No, I have not," he said. "I have zero interest. I grew up racing go karts, went straight to stock cars and that's all I've wanted to do. In this country, that's the highest form of racing you can attain."

NASCAR holds a wide edge in popularity, ticket sales and television ratings among motorsports in the U.S.

"I don't know how many Americans they actually want in Formula One," Harvick said. "It seems pretty hard to get that license and even be eligible to get into an F1 car. They definitely make that difficult."

There are no current American drivers in F1, where legendary Italian-American Mario Andretti once ruled, but ironically Gene Haas, co-owner of Harvick's NASCAR Cup team, operates a Formula One team with two foreign drivers.

Harvick, in his No. 4 Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing, won't be applying for one of those rides, but he is up for the EchoPark Texas Grand Prix in two weeks on COTA's 3.4-mile, 20-turn road course.

"I've been to Austin for appearances a couple times but never been on the race track," he said. "I've watched some F1 stuff from there. It looks like a great facility, and I'm excited about the Austin weekend."

5 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Kevin Harvick remains a dipshit. 

Seriously. O/U on how many minutes in a room with him before you'd wanna knock him the fuck out?  I think I'd put it at about 3.

14 minutes ago, wood said:

Seriously. O/U on how many minutes in a room with him before you'd wanna knock him the fuck out?  I think I'd put it at about 3.

I hate him because he's such a hypocrite (very much an "I expect other drivers to give me all the breaks, but I won't cut anyone else a break" guy, not unlike Ryan Newman, who I also despise for much the same reason) but I have been impressed with him as an occasional guest announcer during Xfinity races. 

I am not an MMA fan whatsoever, but I would pay the $75 to watch those two guys beat each other senseless. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Haha 1

Welp, that didn't take long. Haven't even turned a wheel and v2 is already out ... on Thursday. Utter incompetence. Wow.

https://i.imgur.com/Y0TL9T7.jpg

Sorry re: imgur links, but I haven't found them anywhere else. Here's the latest text. Sigh. Could be so much simpler.

21) Track Limits
21.1 Turn 1 and 2 Run Off Area
a) Each time any car fails to negotiate Turn 2 by using the track, and who passes either over one
of the speed bumps across the run-off area, or between them, or to the left of the yellow apex
sausage at Turn 2, must then re-join the track by driving to the left of the two bollards located
before the entry to Turn 3.
b) A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track and failing to
negotiate Turn 2 by using the track, will result in that lap time being invalidated by the stewards.
21.2 Turn 13 -Turn 15 (Old Circuit)
a) A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track and failing to
negotiate Turn 13, 14 and 15 by using the track, will result in that lap time and the following
lap time being invalidated by the stewards
21.3 General - Turn 1 and 2 Run Off Area, Turn 13 -Turn 15 (Old Circuit)
a) Each time any car fails to negotiate Turn 2 or Turns 13, 14 and 15 by using the track as
described above, teams will be informed via the official messaging system.
b) On the second occasion of a driver failing to negotiate Turn 2 by using the track during the
race, he will be shown a black and white flag, any further cutting will then be reported to the
stewards.
c) In all cases detailed above, the driver must only re-join the track when it is safe to do so and
without gaining a lasting advantage.
d) The above requirements will not automatically apply to any driver who is judged to have been
forced off the track, each such case will be judged individually

All this talk of track limits, at least we won't have to worry so much about those in Monaco in a couple of weeks. Also, how many Haas chassis does Mazepin write off that weekend? ha

McLaren and Red Bull a little down the order in FP2 and 1 second covers the top 16.

P87nni0.jpg

Look at those Alpines. Whoa.

Ocon said earlier in the week that they were bringing important updates to Barcelona and that if they work, they think they're in for a good season. Good to see they're apprently getting past those wind tunnel issues that set them back over the winter.

• Hook 'Em 1

What a jackass ...
NASCAR at COTA: Kevin Harvick ready to finally bring 'more relevant' racing to Austin
https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/pro/2021/05/05/nascar-cota-austin-kevin-harvick-ready-race-texas/4958364001/
(behind a paywall, but just open it in an incognito browser, then hit the X to stop downloading as soon as the text shows up)
Kevin Harvick is one of the biggest names in NASCAR, a red-blooded, traditional American race car driver eager to show Austin-area motorsports fans what they've been missing all these years.
The 45-year-old former Cup Series champion and annual title contender from Bakersfield, Calif., knows what his sales pitch would be for this month's first NASCAR race at Circuit of the Americas, a track best known for entertaining the glitzy, international Formula One crowd.
"Stock car racing is much more relevant to the United States of America in what we do from a racing standpoint with our cars and the way they look," Harvick said. "The type of individual we attract is going to be very blue collar, you know, more like your average day-to-day person you see that does normal things.
"NASCAR is much more relatable from a down-to-earth people standpoint than what you will find in Formula One. Of course, F1 has its crowd and its show, but it's all about the qualifying. Our races have a lot of passing, that's for sure."
Asked in an exclusive interview with the American-Statesman if he's ever taken a spin in an F1 or Indy car, Harvick was blunt.
"No, I have not," he said. "I have zero interest. I grew up racing go karts, went straight to stock cars and that's all I've wanted to do. In this country, that's the highest form of racing you can attain."
NASCAR holds a wide edge in popularity, ticket sales and television ratings among motorsports in the U.S.
"I don't know how many Americans they actually want in Formula One," Harvick said. "It seems pretty hard to get that license and even be eligible to get into an F1 car. They definitely make that difficult."
There are no current American drivers in F1, where legendary Italian-American Mario Andretti once ruled, but ironically Gene Haas, co-owner of Harvick's NASCAR Cup team, operates a Formula One team with two foreign drivers.
Harvick, in his No. 4 Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing, won't be applying for one of those rides, but he is up for the EchoPark Texas Grand Prix in two weeks on COTA's 3.4-mile, 20-turn road course.
"I've been to Austin for appearances a couple times but never been on the race track," he said. "I've watched some F1 stuff from there. It looks like a great facility, and I'm excited about the Austin weekend."

Uh, have you seen America lately? He’s not wrong. /noCR

Can someone Cliff’s Notes the new track rules?

19 hours ago, utee94 said:

Kevin Harvick seems like he sucks.

He's been pretty arrogant ever since Dale Sr. was killed at Daytona and Harvick got his ride the following week.  While he's backed up his arrogance on the track at times, he's acted like way too much of a jackass over the following years.  He's forgotten his roots, and at times he's not willing to extend the courtesies to other/younger drivers that were extended to him when he was younger.

Red Bull doing stuff.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull-taken-15-mercedes-staff/

As part of Red Bull Powertrains’ preparations to supply Red Bull and AlphaTauri from 2022, there has been a pretty fruitful poaching mission going on.

The target has been Mercedes, and so far six staff have publicly been confirmed for an upcoming move from Mercedes to the new Red Bull engine department.

But speaking to Sky F1 after Friday practice at the Spanish Grand Prix, Wolff said that Red Bull have approached 100 staff members at Mercedes High Performance Powertrains, successfully recruiting 15 of them.

“It’s pretty obvious that if you want to set up an engine factory in the UK there is only one, and that is us,” he said.

“We have 900 or so employees there and if you are fishing out 15 of these that is pretty normal, but they went mainly after manufacturing staff so it’s not really performance, I guess they want to build up the company.”

Red Bull driver programme chief Helmut Marko said that Mercedes were offering to double the salary of their remaining staff to stop them defecting to the Austrian outfit.

Wolff though feared Red Bull could offer them “triple” money, at which point loyalty is no longer important.

“I think they have approached 100 people or so and they got 15 maybe, doubling the salaries is one thing but if you triple them, at a certain stage you are not going to compete anymore even for loyalty,” he said.

“I respect everybody that wants to defend their business or build their business, and the retaliation time has not yet come.

“But credit to the project, it is a Mount Everest to climb, I would like to have a fight with Red Bull power units.”

On 5/6/2021 at 10:52 AM, wood said:

Kevin, your races have three fucking stages.  Because NASCAR.  It's fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

All that talk about passing. So stupid. More passing in NASCAR isn't better, just like more passing in F1 isn't better. I'll take quality over quantity any day. I'd rather see 1 well-fought position battle that ends without a pass than 10 typical NASCAR passes where a guy gets hung out while a train passes him or a typical sitting duck DRS driveby in F1. 

But that's not even why I called Harvick's dumb ass out. It's because he's just another dumbass driver talking shit about another discipline. I'd take the same view if it was an F1 driver talking shit about NASCAR or IndyCar. Off the top of my head, the best role model when it comes to how drivers should talk about other racing series is Fernando Alonso. All respect, all the time.

Harvick's rambling reminds me of Mike Skinner's idiotic schtick on Grand Tour.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wood said:

All that talk about passing. So stupid. More passing in NASCAR isn't better, just like more passing in F1 isn't better. I'll take quality over quantity any day. I'd rather see 1 well-fought position battle that ends without a pass than 10 typical NASCAR passes where a guy gets hung out while a train passes him or a typical sitting duck DRS driveby in F1. 

But that's not even why I called Harvick's dumb ass out. It's because he's just another dumbass driver talking shit about another discipline. I'd take the same view if it was an F1 driver talking shit about NASCAR or IndyCar. Off the top of my head, the best role model when it comes to how drivers should talk about other racing series is Fernando Alonso. All respect, all the time.

Harvick's rambling reminds me of Mike Skinner's idiotic schtick on Grand Tour.

All racing is hard, as it should be. These guys have forgotten that there was a time when drivers would hop in any seat and race, no matter the car.  

He’s an ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

I kinda agree on the NASCAR thing though. Been decades since I watched, so the dynamics may have changed, but back in the days of Ernie Irvan, Sterling Marling, Dale Jarrett, you could watch the entire race because there’s always a good chance your driver could win or atleast move up (and down) significantly. 

Big positional swaps aren’t just done in the pits.