2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We don't really need another stretch 4 or tweener with Bertans re-signed.  Could have easily gone with another big.  Rather have seen what Alex Len could have done than a journeyman like Cunningham with little upside.

Cunningham can also play the 3. Likely why they signed him. Outside of Kawhi who else do we have at SF right now? 

As for Len this is going to be a trend around the league. It's a small ball league now and teams are prioritizing as such. Teams feel like there's more value in adding an extra 3/4 hybrid mold than a 5. I can't blame them with the way the league is going. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Dejounte Murray has been participating in his mentor Jamal Crawford’s Pro-Am League The Crawsover in Seattle, and some videos coming out suggest that the Spurs’ third-year guard just might have a new array of tricks to show off once the new season starts.

There’s a wide array of crossovers, fade-aways, and reverse lay-ups through traffic, but most notable he’s confidently pulling up from distance and letting it fly with ease. We already knew Murray could dunk and defend (he made the All-NBA Defensive Second Team, after all), and it has been well documented that he is an offensive game away from being a star.

Obviously The Crawsover is no NBA, and some of those cheesier moves like the under-the-leg assist won’t fly with Gregg Popovich, but improving his shooting form from distance was on the top if his list of things to work on heading into the off-season, and it definitely looks like he has been doing just that.

With Tony Parker gone, Manu Ginobili’s future still uncertain, and no one knowing what will become of Kawhi Leonard, there are a lot of questions about where the Spurs’ offense will come from next season (after LaMarcus Aldridge). If Murray can translate his summer success to the big leagues and become both the play-maker and second or third scorer the Spurs desperately need, then things could be looking up, even if Kawhi doesn’t return.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/7/15/17573944/dejounte-murray-shows-new-shot-in-exhibition-match

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Cunningham can also play the 3. Likely why they signed him. Outside of Kawhi who else do we have at SF right now? 

As for Len this is going to be a trend around the league. It's a small ball league now and teams are prioritizing as such. 

I think Lonnie has enough bounce, length, and athleticism to play either wing spot.  Same for Danny and Rudy.  There's 3.  May not be optimal but it would be fine.  We haven't replaced the Big Block --- King Joffery on the roster yet.  Len would be a 2nd center for us and with Pau needing plenty of nights off, rather take a flier on him if it's all league minimum contracts.

This probably signals Blossomgame is going to ATX (which he probably needs) and Metu too.....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We haven't replaced the Big Block --- King Joffery on the roster yet.  

That's kind of the point. Joffery had little to no impact last year. It's why teams are trending away from a 3rd center. 

I think teams will roll the dice with 2 centers and if something happens they will call up a player like Metu. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think Lonnie has enough bounce, length, and athleticism to play either wing spot.  Same for Danny and Rudy.  There's 3. 

A lot of these guys are hybrid/tweener molds that will play different positions. Green is gong to get minutes at the 2 and Rudy is going to get minutes at the 4. 

Lonnie is about the only guy I see as a "true SF/3". 

We definitely need more depth at the 3 with Kawhi and Kyle Anderson gone. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They don't have any real pieces we'd want.  Maybe Tobias Harris but he's not a difference maker.  Nice player.  They'd have to get a 3rd or 4th team involved.

I'm going to guess Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has a lot more value now than he did a few weeks ago. He looked legit in the Summer League. 

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Tobias Harris actually isn't a terrible starting point. 

If the Lakers aren't giving up Ingram and Kuzma I think the Clippers can actually offer a better package. 

28 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's kind of the point. Joffery had little to no impact last year. It's why teams are trending away from a 3rd center. 

I think teams will roll the dice with 2 centers and if something happens they will call up a player like Metu. 

I understand but with Pau's age and LMA not loving to play center, I think a backup big is something we need more and a younger player with more potential would be a better add.  Len has been a bust as a top 5 pick but he's still very young, has interesting and solid metrics.  I mean, Cunningham isn't going to move the needle one way or another, just a journeyman on a minimum contract.  Prefer if this is..... a transition year, we try and find some underrated young value if we can.  Maybe we couldn't.  If we wanted to sign a forward, I'll be wondering what guys like Vonleh, Harrell (probably too expensive), or even a guy like Acy end up getting or who becomes available later in the summer.

28 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Obviously you should ring up PATFO with your hot take immediately!  I'm sure they'll walk this back once they know you disapprove.

Outstanding contribution!  A sports forum without opinions..... 

good-one-gif-3.gif

• Like 1

Someone please talk me out of the package revolving around Derozan/OG.

In my head, Droz gets here and develops a 3 point shot + we get him to play some defense. If that happens, you end up with 70-75% of the player kawhi is. OG is a decent young prospect - the kind of guy who flourishes in San Antonio historically.

All things considered, is that the worst outcome in the world?

This is apparently Uncle Dennis. The responses to this tweet are hilarious. Funniest part is he's apparently blocking all Spurs fans that respond. 

Kawhi taking business advice from the guy running a company with 737 followers on twitter seems less than ideal. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, ZanTheFan said:

Someone please talk me out of the package revolving around Derozan/OG.

In my head, Droz gets here and develops a 3 point shot + we get him to play some defense. If that happens, you end up with 70-75% of the player kawhi is. OG is a decent young prospect - the kind of guy who flourishes in San Antonio historically.

All things considered, is that the worst outcome in the world?

DeRozan has had 9 years to develop a 3 point shot and is still god awful -- 29.8% the last 2 years combined.  He also relies on a lot of ISO and has USG% of about 30% the last 3 years.  He will play defense, but is offensive game would be difficult to integrate with LMA.  DeRozan's contract is also really bad and would probably be hard to move and get market, even later this year.

If you want to send Kawhi to Toronto, which I think is hilarious.... I'd rather get a 3rd team involved and send them DD.  Give us picks, a couple of young players, and cap space.  

2 hours ago, ZanTheFan said:

It depends on the timetable but people drastically overvalue young assets/talent. If we're going to go young I'm cool with it but Derozan is probably the best player we can get in return. 

People shit on Derozan but he's likely better than Ingram, Kuzma, Hart or Fultz will ever be. 

Derozan's contract isn't great but all this cap space means shit if we can't sign/attract a decent free agent. Maybe we can but I have my doubts with a small market team like the Spurs. More than likely we end up overpaying for a 2nd/3rd tier type "star" anyways. 

Add OG (young player with upside) plus a draft pick and I don't hate this at all. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Who cares what we get at this point.  Kawhi is gone either way whether it's a trade or FA next summer.  Might as well get a few decent pieces for him while you can.  The thought of getting equal value for him is pretty much out the window imo.

Edited by Assman

I reconcile this mess by telling myself Kawhi will never return to his previous trajectory or level, whether in SA or elsewhere. He might never again be 100 percent healthy, for one thing. Also, he’s missed a year of his prime already. He might not be as dominant in another system, even if he IS healthy.

I put all that together and say that whatever decent value we get for him is a win for SA. Let’s get what we can and move on. If we pick up some young talent, it could take several years to judge the outcome anyway. We sure aren’t winning jack in the mesntime, so relax. 

29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It depends on the timetable but people drastically overvalue young assets/talent. If we're going to go young I'm cool with it but Derozan is probably the best player we can get in return. 

People shit on Derozan but he's likely better than Ingram, Kuzma, Hart or Fultz will ever be. 

Derozan's contract isn't great but all this cap space means shit if we can't sign/attract a decent free agent. Maybe we can but I have my doubts with a small market team like the Spurs. More than likely we end up overpaying for a 2nd/3rd tier type "star" anyways. 

Add OG (young player with upside) plus a draft pick and I don't hate this at all. 

The thing is, will he be 3 times as good as Ingram or Fultz the next 3 years?  4 times as good as Kuzma?  Because that's how much more he's being paid.  While it's not exactly linear, folks can get the drift.  What can you add to one of those guys  rather than DeRozan and a minimum?  If DeRozan is your 2nd best player then you're not a championship contender, especially in the West.  It's about that simple.  So if the goal is to try and win 50 games and get eliminated in the first or second round, then DeRozan is probably our guy.  If the goal is to try and remake the franchise rather quickly without tanking (which is a 5 year process minimum), then it's been shown that cheap assets (good players on rookie contracts), future assets (draft picks), and cap space is probably the best way to go to initiate a reload plan.  Boston and Houston largely went this route (Boston had one horrific season).  Lakers, GSW, and famously Philly tanked. 

It's hard either way, there are teams like Dallas or Miami who haven't been able to figure out a on the fly rebuild and had to end up sucking eventually (Dallas) or have been stuck in the middle (Miami).  And there are teams like Sacramento, Orlando and the Knicks who keep tripping over their own dicks while trying to tank properly.  I just figure with LMA, Pop and RC's age, it may be better to try and reload in the next couple of years  (and we have the opportunity) rather than trade errbody and tank or take on players/contracts who will make us a one and done team for the next half dozen years..... I detest being stuck in the middle but understand other folks are comfortable with this idea....

• Like 2

None of this is ideal but I get the sense the objective is to remain competitive while Pop is still coaching.  During that time - who knows?  Guys get hurt, teams implode - whatever.  Take your best shot and see what happens.  After that, blow it up and rebuild.  This trade seems to check the boxes we’ve been lead to believe are guiding the Spurs’ decision making - top 20 player, young player, and picks (assuming this is DD, OG, and something).  

Interestingly, the contract expiration for DD and LMA align perfectly FWIW.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Assman said:

Who cares what we get at this point.  Kawhi is gone either way whether it's a trade or FA next summer.  Might as well get a few decent pieces for him while you can.  The thought of getting equal value for him is pretty much out the window imo.

That's far better than getting nothing next season as you suggest, I look for the Spurs to see if there's a chance at reconciliation, if not he's traded before February deadline...

Kathie (I typed Kawhi, and just let auto-correct do its thing) is going to love Toronto. I was there a couple weekends ago, and the weather was mid 70s with beautiful clear skies. I mean, it's like that year round, right? Also, I learned that Canadians actually speak English (with a bit of an accent, but nothing like the British), so he'll have no problem with a language barrier. This could not have worked out better for Kathie.

• Haha 1

This will be beautiful if Kawhi/Uncle Dennis are a problem in Toronto and other teams give him the middle finger next year in free agency. 

Kawhi is a hell of a talent but if he's a problem in a Toronto it's a huge risk for any team. That would be 2 years in a row of not producing/playing. 

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This will be beautiful if Kawhi/Uncle Dennis are a problem in Toronto and other teams give him the middle finger next year in free agency. 

Kawhi is a hell of a talent but if he's a problem in a Toronto it's a huge risk for any team. That would be 2 years in a row of not producing/playing. 

Yeah, the schadenfreude will be delicious. I can't wait to see uncle Dennis drive the rest of Kawhi's career into a ditch. Sorta feel bad for Kawhi because he is slightly retarded and isn't mentally equipped to deal with the adult world but fuck him and his shitty corn rows.

I just never imagined that it would ever come to this.  It wasn't that long ago that I was full homo for Kawhi and felt very good about the franchise being in his enormous hands.  

Now that we have gotten to where we are, I'm kind of looking forward to a rebuild.  It's been a really long time since the Spurs have had a roster full of young players to build around.  Hell, even Duncan's early teams were filled with veterans.  It may keep Pop energized for a for more years.  At any rate, I look forward to seeing what we actually get and to Kawhi returning to a huge chorus of boos when he comes back.  

Hey Kawhi and Uncle Dennis

Ari-Gold-Get-The-Fuck-Out.gif

• Like 4