2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Agreed.  Certainly not over Kobe, who accomplished everything as a Laker.  If we're just going to consider players who wore the purple and gold then Karl Malone would be a choice, as he was a better player, but simply played at the end of his career.

You think that Karl Malone was a better player than Kobe Bryant?

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Ok, I need some help here -- Ben Wallace in the Hall of Fame???

Why??

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31449389/source-ex-detroit-pistons-star-ben-wallace-part-basketball-hall-fame-class-2021 

Just doesn't seem to fit the criteria for HOF...

Four-time DPOY. Defensive anchor of the Pistons championship team that had no true superstars. One of the great defensive players of his era.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Four-time DPOY. Defensive anchor of the Pistons championship team that had no true superstars. One of the great defensive players of his era.

Still doesn't move the needle for me -- good player, but not HOF worthy imo... 

Ben Wallace career stats:

PPG. 5.7    RPG  9.6   APG  1.3

Reads like he missed a bunch of easy shots to pump up his RPG like Wes Unseld

😂😂😂 

Edit:  Wes Unseld  career stats

PPG   10.8    RPG  14.0    APG. 3.9

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

keep in mind that the basketball HOF is not nearly as exclusive as the baseball HOF.  pretty much everyone who was good makes it.

Might be true, but putting Ben Wallace alongside all the greats in the HOF just seems like a mistake...

24 minutes ago, Mole said:

Wildly different eras and cities and all, but in terms of complete dominance of their era, you can't have an all-time Laker discussion without mentioning Mr. Basketball.

Tell that to Jeanie Buss.

Kobe was a ridiculously great basketball player but the narrative around him, especially posthumously, has become horribly distorted. He was a terrible teammate, to the point where the Lakers, even being the most desirable destination franchise in the league, couldn't attract free agents because nobody wanted to play with him. He ran off Shaq which cost him how many titles? He took every dollar possible to kill their cap and kill their championship chances later in his career.

He was a ballhog. He didn't play the game the right way. He fucking quit in a playoff game. Even in his final years when he couldn't bring it anymore he stifled the growth of their young players with his bullshit. He was the complete opposite of Tim Duncan when it came to sacrificing his own personal glory for the good of his teammates or franchise. To me, he was everything wrong with hero ball but yet he was so talented and driven that it covered it up for the most part.

And all the while the Lakers fans couldn't gobble his cock enough. No matter what he did, they just lined up to fellate him. He could do nothing wrong. As great as he was, he could have been better were he not a selfish egomaniac. 

And one more thing... Rapist. Let's just pretend like that didn't happen. 

Again... great player, absurdly talented, crazy driven, but he never quite got it that the game wasn't just about him. With just an ounce of humility he could have been so much more. Jordan learned that lesson, Kobe never did. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Bosh, Webber, Wallace, and Pierce.  After 2020's historic class of Timmah, Kobe, and KG, 2021 feels light.  Not going to dispute any of them, although I think you could dispute all of them to some degree (I may dispute maybe only Wallace).

Kukoc got in too.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Beal trails Curry for the scoring crown 31.4 to 31.8. Wiz play the Hornets at 1:00, with the winner getting the 8 seed in the East. Warriors play the Grizzlies at 3:30, with the winner getting the 8 seed in the west. Potential for some fireworks.

By my rough math, Beal needs to outscore Steph by 21ish points to take it. 

Edited by aggie08

My prediction: a rusty LAL loses to March Madness Steph and the Warriors in the 7-8 play-in, leading to 48 hours of talking head freak out about LeBron being one game away from elimination. Then they proceed to casually beat Memphis or San Antonio by 30, and go on to upset the Jazz in round 1.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Memphis/GSW already out there in the playoffs.  Intense game for seeding.  

Having to go 2-0 to make the playoffs, rather than having two games to win one makes seeding pretty damn important.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, Sbbruin said:

What an insane class.  Kobe, TD, and Garnett.  I would rank them the way I listed them.  I know a lot of Texans would rank Duncan over Kobe.  I think Kobe was a top 5 all time player.  Watch his highlight reel.  He was sooooo close to MJ.  Not MJ, but so close.

You are a fan. You should say things like this. You are clearly and objectively wrong but I get it. VY is the GOAT QB and Ricky Williams is the GOAT RB and I will never say differently. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Kevin Durant had a career bad shooting night yesterday.

So today he went 23 points on 8/10 shooting with 13 dimes and 8 rebounds on just 2 turnovers. 

(For context: here's every game since 1983 where someone had at least 23 points and 13 assists, no more than 2 turns and shot 80% from the field https://stathead.com/tiny/ZJCOl - and it looks like 8 rebounds is the most for any game on that list and 29 minutes played is the fewest by 5 minutes - so basically he just casually did something that no one has in 37 years or potentially ever done in NBA history)

No one is stopping him. Not with that roster. 

Edited by ztejas

12 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

(I may dispute maybe only Wallace).

Wallace should be in over all 3 of those other guys. He had the greatest 5ish year (I'd have to double check the window) defensive stretch in NBA history. Prime Ben Wallace gave more lift than any of those other 3 did in their primes.

But it isn't their fault it's taken this long to get him in. 

I mean Christ... pull it up Jamie

Wallace is a HoFer in the way that Draymond should be a HoF lock but won't get treated as such. 

Here's a good one: Ben Wallace is the only player in NBA history who had both more blocked shots than personal fouls and more steals than turnovers over the course of his career.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Clippers out-tank the Thunder to get the four seed.

Can't say that I understand that one. Seems like Portland followed by Phoenix is an easier path than Luka then Utah. If they're ducking where they think the Lakers will wind up, I hope it blows up in their face.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Can't say that I understand that one. Seems like Portland followed by Phoenix is an easier path than Luka then Utah. If they're ducking where they think the Lakers will wind up, I hope it blows up in their face.

Weird playoffs with the 7/8 seeds being undecided and dangerous. It’s probably a good business decision to try and get on the opposite side of the bracket from the Lakers, but Steph can fuck that up in a one off game.

• Like 1

67E5214A-40B9-4D15-8DA4-CE5BB5813383.jpeg

🙄🙄🙄

LeBron is just insufferable sometimes. this quote isn't even about Steph, it's about the greatness of LeBron and the Herculean feat that he and his wildly superior team are about to attempt to pull off- winning one game against the 8 seeded Warriors. "and once we beat the real MVP in the play-in game, that's when even Michael and Magic had to admit that i was the greatest to ever do it."

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1