USMNT 2021

Napoleon

16 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

less worried about this after watching Turner play.  

Not shocked.

He liked some tweet recently about the US Soccer not valuing the Latino community.

Ochoa is much better with his feet that Turner. I didn't see the start of last night's match, but I saw the start of the replay and was shocked to see that Turner almost contributed to a Mexico goal less than 2 minutes into the match. He needs to figure that shit out fast, because that was just shockingly bad... and I think that he will beat out Steffen by World Cup 2022, because his shot stopping is ridiculous.

Ochoa will be missed. He would be eligible for the next Olympic squad as well. Just turned 20 in January. 

And after saying that Turner's play with his feet isn't as good as Ochoa's, I just saw this at the bottom of Ochoa's Wiki bio:

"The United States failed to qualify for the 2020 Olympics after losing 1–2 to Honduras; Honduras scored their second goal after Ochoa played an errant pass that ricocheted off Luis Palma and into the United States goal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ochoa

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Can you blame him? Dude is now 3rd or 4th on the US depth chart, just hoping for a chance to play. On the Mexican team he is going to be right there to take over for Memo when he's done.

Dude is 20 years old. TWENTY!

He should be focused on holding a full-time starting position in the MLS, then either MLS All-Star or a move to Europe and then focus on Olympic Qualifying for Paris 2024, AND THEN  which national team to play for.

51 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I sure hope he is getting a bunch of minutes this season,

The American Jaden Sancho!

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

Will tickets be available for purchase if you don’t put your name in the drawing? Or are you at the mercy of scalpers 

Pretty sure the entire ticket allotment is going to the random draw, if not, they will be extremely scarce.  So yes, you'll be at the mercy of scalpers.  

13 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Just got a response from US Soccer.

Not an Austin FC ticket holder or paying member of US soccer - so I’ll get the peon email tomorrow.

I went ahead a few weeks back and got the VIP member of US Soccer for a few reasons:

1) to have a better opportunity to get tickets early

2) By Nov, I'll have 2 little girls that I'd love to get them enthralled with the game early

3) If College Football is going to turn into a step-down version of NFL football where nothing matters but $$, a lot more of my viewing time and $$ will be spent on soccer.  And I fucking hate that, but it's just how it is and how I'll have to value that time with my youngins. 

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I went ahead a few weeks back and got the VIP member of US Soccer for a few reasons:

1) to have a better opportunity to get tickets early

2) By Nov, I'll have 2 little girls that I'd love to get them enthralled with the game early

3) If College Football is going to turn into a step-down version of NFL football where nothing matters but $$, a lot more of my viewing time and $$ will be spent on soccer.  And I fucking hate that, but it's just how it is and how I'll have to value that time with my youngins. 

I, for one, am ready for our future Friday nights @ Tulsa in college football. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Just got a response from US Soccer.

Not an Austin FC ticket holder or paying member of US soccer - so I’ll get the peon email tomorrow.

We have a supporter group Barra 76, we don't charge anything and we are included with AO and Sammers group for drawing. If you sign up on our website you get the supporter bump up, we don't send many emails either that I am aware of. Fuck paying money to be a supporter that is weak

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

We have a supporter group Barra 76, we don't charge anything and we are included with AO and Sammers group for drawing. If you sign up on our website you get the supporter bump up, we don't send many emails either that I am aware of. Fuck paying money to be a supporter that is weak

Thanks.  I’ll do it for next time.  Won’t help me with this pull.

I have no problem paying premium for the Jamaica qualifier, but was shooting for a chance at face.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Don't knock the Friday night games. We played TCU once or twice on Friday and it was fun. 

It was more a shot playing Tulsa than anything. I don't mind a good Friday night matchup against someone like TCU or even y'all at SMU. That can be an electric atmosphere. 

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

It was more a shot playing Tulsa than anything. I don't mind a good Friday night matchup against someone like TCU or even y'all at SMU. That can be an electric atmosphere. 

Tulsa might have beat your ass last year. Pretty sure they beat us (although we fucked the game up majorly). They made the title game against Cincy and gave them some trouble.

Still interested to see how this all shakes out. 

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah they would've for sure.

They always get treated like the black sheep of the AAC which is funny because they have some decent history. Better than fuckin Tulane. 

(And obviously this is all incredibly off topic - so apologies)

Maybe veering somewhat on topic - AAC is a fun soccer conference. I don't think Baylor has a team though.

Edited by ztejas

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They always get treated like the black sheep of the AAC which is funny because they have some decent history. Better than fuckin Tulane. 

(And obviously this is all incredibly off topic - so apologies)

Maybe veering somewhat on topic - AAC is a fun soccer conference. I don't think Baylor has a team though.

Good Women's team but no men's team unfortunately.

Another evidence of the camaraderie. Show the man in goal some respect.

Where will he end up? Hopefully he gets some call ups during the WCQ cycle.

Don't push your luck too hard Colorado Rapids. At the end of the day, you're only a MLS franchise.

The USMNT is hurting for left backs. Let this guy go to Europe and grow so he gets called up for our Yanks.

Make the deal happen Schalke! Don't leave our boy Hoppe in limbo!

The shirt is cool and whatever. Hoppe tearing into Berhalter...you love to hear it!

Hoppe has the right people in his corner. Keep up the appearances, Matt.

FIFA rankings are whack. The moral of the story is fuck El Tri and their 'puto' chanting fans.

Not one, but two Americans heading to the Championship. Decent start for their professional careers.

The athleticism is there, just needs more consistency.

Make sure you stop by the Diamond District and get your mother something nice, Sam. Congrats.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 2:12 PM, alincoln said:

No player did more to stop the flow of American talent to Europe than Jozy.  The Daily Mail published a list of the worst strikers in EPL history a few years ago.  Jozy came in at #1 and it is hard to dispute their reasoning.

Jozy Altidore played 70 Premier League games for Hull and Sunderland. He scored a grand total of two Premier League goals. After a fairly non-eventful loan spell with Hull in 2009-10, he returned to England in 2013 after a prolific few years in the Dutch league with AZ. Sunderland, managed by Paulo Di Canio, spent £6m on the US international and he repaid their faith with one strike in 42 league games. Altidore looked big and strong, like anything could hit him and stick. He should have been a colossus, but he just wasn't. Clumsy on the ball and wild in front of goal it was the worst of combinations to spearhead a struggling Sunderland side battling relegation. He left for Toronto in January 2015, with a strike rate of one goal every 35 games that few Premier League strikers can hope to rival. 

He was also awful in the World Cup with 0 goals in 5 games.  He also scored a grand total of 1 goal against Mexico (in a friendly for his first international goal).  He's a flat track bully who made his living dominating overmatched competition while bottling the biggest moments/opportunities of his career.  

I'm more than familiar with Jozy's work.  Young American striker with middling finishing ability moving to a bottom quarter EPL team that just sold its best creator doesn't strike me as a recipe for success.

It's official with Busio.

Kansas City Star

Sporting KC transfers Gianluca Busio to Italian Serie A club. Here are the details

3b41a8cbf65c54f084747fb433f8e870

After weeks of speculation, it’s finally official.

Sporting Kansas City’s 19-year-old midfielder Gianluca Busio has been transferred to Italian Serie A team Venezia FC, pending a physical.

Kansas City will reportedly earn a base of $6 million from the transfer and up to $11 million in future incentives and clauses.

“This is a very proud moment for me and my family,” Busio said. “I’d like to thank everyone who has made it possible, especially all the people at Sporting KC who have helped me become the player and person I am today.”

The news comes just hours after Kansas City announced the signing of Argentine-Italian midfielder José Mauri, who plays in the same positions as Busio.

Busio left his home in North Carolina to join the Sporting Kansas City Academy in 2016 when he was just 14 years old. A year later he signed a Homegrown contract with the club and since then has gone on to become one of the best young American prospects in the national pool.

He made the leap as a first-team player for Sporting Kansas City in 2019, featuring in 26 games, before taking over the reins in midfield during the 2020 season.

He burst onto the national scene during the 2020 postseason when he became the youngest player in Major League Soccer to score and assist in a postseason game as Kansas City defeated San Jose at Children’s Mercy Park.

Transfer rumors have swirled around Busio ever since, with interest from multiple teams in England, the Netherlands, and Italy following him over the past six months.

All in all, Busio spent five years in the Sporting Kansas City system, tallying eight goals and nine assists in 70 appearances for Sporting across all competitions.

“Gianluca has embodied all of the core values we look for in a player,” Sporting KC head coach Peter Vermes said.

“He has consistently put the team first while demonstrating tremendous professionalism and an unwavering commitment to improving his game and helping the club win. Gianluca is a special talent with outstanding character, and we wish him nothing but the best at Venezia.”

Busio joins fellow American Tanner Tessman at Venezia, who joined the Italian club from FC Dallas on July 15. Venezia, based in Venice, was recently promoted to Italy’s top division after spending much of its history in the second tier of Italian soccer.

Sporting KC fans will get their first chance to hopefully see Busio in a Venezia jersey on Aug. 15 when Venezia hosts Serie B team Frosinone in the Coppa Italia first round at 1:45 p.m. Central time.

Venezia will then open the Serie A season on the road at Napoli on Aug. 22 at 1:45 p.m. Central time.

“Sporting will always have a special place in my heart and I’m grateful to have started my career at such an amazing club,” Busio said. “The people, the fans, the city — everything about Kansas City was perfect and it will always feel like home. This is the next step in my career and I’m really excited to join Venezia.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sporting-kc-trades-gianluca-busio-222000140.html

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sargent haters: He went for 10 million Euros. Don't forget that he can also play on the wings too.

Pulisic and Hoppe are bro-ing out and winning!

There's a little bit of gay happening in that second photo (first photo is just ambiguously gay), butt whatever these guys need for team building, just give 'em some lube and have at it. I just the team to qualify for Qatar and have that experience so that they go as far as we can dream in 2026.

Also, considering that they barely have crossed paths in national team camps, there must have been some hella-bonding in Switzerland in the tiny window after Chelsea won the Champions League.

Who are the fluffers in the second pic?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

USMNT players in Italy looks like an FC Dallas reunion and Tessman brought Busio along because they're the same age, play for the same team, and Busio doesn't know anyone in Italy yet.

E8D8aSNXEAAkYHN?format=jpg&name=large

Busio doesn't know Tessman from MLS?

I am sure these players are better connected than we imagine thanks to the internet and social media. 

In other developing news:

This would be absolutely crazy if this were to materialize.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

USMNT players in Italy looks like an FC Dallas reunion and Tessman brought Busio along because they're the same age, play for the same team, and Busio doesn't know anyone in Italy yet.

E8D8aSNXEAAkYHN?format=jpg&name=large

if those rumors of Pepi to AS Roma turn out to be true, add another one.

speaking of Pepi, Gergg has gotta cap this kid sooner rather than later.  cross-posting from the MLS thread his new deal with Pep(s)i.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

if those rumors of Pepi to AS Roma turn out to be true, add another one.

speaking of Pepi, Gergg has gotta cap this kid sooner rather than later.  cross-posting from the MLS thread his new deal with Pep(s)i.

You can't cap a player who doesn't want to be capped.

It's not like Berhalter doesn't know about the guy. 

Pepi continues to play the waiting game.

2 Degrees of Weston McKennie

I was wondering about the bromance photos above with Hoppe & Pulisic and I started looking at Google Maps. I don't know how old you have to be to drive in Germany (18 probably?), so I started with mass transit.

111718294_ScreenShot2021-08-06at3_00_40PM.thumb.png.e3fc50b5307b1e22a49ce7091a3cce73.png

Christian Pulisic went over to Dortmund in 2016 and I think that he already knew Weston McKennie from U-17 shit. (In Dortmund from 2016-2019)

Weston McKennie went over to Schalke as soon as he could after turning 18 in 2017. (In Schalke/Gelsenkirchen from 2017-2020.)

So if they are taking the train, they can get to the other guy's town in under an hour to hang out, double date, play video games...

Once one of them gets their drivers license, the time from A to B shrinks.

970649811_ScreenShot2021-08-06at3_00_54PM.thumb.png.b55d67d60b4d993b51ca209bf0cd5f6d.png

Now they are basically 30 minutes away door-to-door, not train station to train station with the extra time required on each side. My guess is that they are hanging out a bit at this point, because they are a couple of rich Americans about the same age with cool cars and celebrity status. They overlap in Germany from 2017-2019.

Also, they play video games... like all of the kids do these days, so they are probably playing against each other and all of the other USMNT yutes.

Matthew Hoppe gets to Schalke in 2019. Pulisic has just left to go to Chelsea while Gio Reyna shows up to Dortmund at the same time, so McKennie looks out for the new American in town who is only 2 years younger than he is as well as the wunderkind over in Dortmund who is even younger than Hoppe but is supposed to be something. McKennie & Hoppe's time in Schalke overlap for one year, 2019 to 2020 (same for Reyna in Dortmund). COVID shit probably is strange, so more video game playing than ever among all of the young USMNT kids and McKennie brings Hoppe into the club to a point. He may not be "their guy" at the #9, but Josh Sargent isn't exactly just around the corner if they want to hang out. Even with a car, Bremen is a bit of a haul. This isn't a spur-of-the-moment trip (like it would be in Texas).

340258861_ScreenShot2021-08-06at3_12_10PM.thumb.png.cbed5e573e5a1f6ea26d9b548508f922.png

Reyna is contributing almost immediately and is probably a little much to take on occasion, but...

Then Hoppe scores a hat trick in early 2021 and the online current & former US Bundesliga gaming crew goes wild. Then Hoppe scores the next game... and the next game. 

The congratulations and the smack that is flying back and forth between all of these kids via Whatsapp, Twitter, video game headsets... probably has Hoppe "in the club" before he even arrives in Switzerland for the USMNT camp before the Champions League Final and the US/Switzerland friendly.

These kids may have barely met in person, but they're part of this generation of US soccer gods who don't have a clue what it's like to have a potbelly, bad knees, and to  have college-aged girls seen right through them like they are ghosts.

They are living a gilded life at the moment. 

[I've got to go feed a friend's mother's elderly cats... different life.]

• Hook 'Em 1