USMNT 2021

Napoleon

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

That is pretty much what Ochoa said in the article.   His time at Chivas youth camps made him question it, because of the Mexicans treating him like shit, but ultimately he always wanted to play of L Tri

He also clearly has some issues, depression for one, which he talks about in the article, but feels like there is more to it than that.

Eh, despite all the family history, El Tri being his first love, etc., the article makes it pretty clear that what ultimately drove his decision was not playing in Nations League. He saw Steffen go down and Berhalter turn to Horvath (and later, for the Gold Cup, Turner) and took that personally.

Meanwhile, El Tri not only refused to play him in the Gold Cup, it didn't even keep him on the roster after training camp. And the Mexicans he trained with on the youth teams treated him poorly, but that's all forgiven because Hache Hache followed him on the 'Gram.

I get it. He loves El Tri. Fine. But just say that. Don't try to imply US soccer didn't treat you well when all evidence suggests otherwise. If he didn't feel at home, it's because that's what was in his heart. He refused to let it be his home, not the other way around. That's pretty obvious by how petty he is toward perceived US slights yet how forgiving he is toward actual ones from the Mexican team.

And the shit at the end about being a role model? Give me a break. Any El Tri player or fan who wants to be a role model for Mexican-Americans should abide by this: attend a match without throwing shit onto the field or putting your hands around an opponent's neck. Do that your entire career and you'll have achieved something. Else, you're just blowing smoke up your own ego.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Julian Araujo & Ricardo Pepi will be joining David in México because they feel a family pull and their path to the World Cup in 2022 is much clearer.

And Pepi is the one I will lament losing. Only 18 so it's hard to say, but he seems like an incredible talent. Stealing Musah from the English will lessen that blow, but convincing Pepi to join would be a coup.

13 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

ESPN+ https://www.usnews.com/360-reviews/streaming-services/espn-plus

ESPN+ costs $5.99 a month or $59.99 for the whole year. Each subscription includes live streaming for select sports and college sports. There is no option for live NFL or NBA games. ESPN+ is home to original content from sports legends, like Peyton Manning’s “Peyton’s Places.” You have access to the full library of the popular documentary series “30 for 30.” Live talk shows come with the subscription along with replays of major sports events. Exclusive articles are available too if you like taking a deep dive into a particular sport. If you’re a fan of UFC and a subscriber of ESPN+, you can catch all the UFC pay-per-view events as well. 

Compared to sports streaming services in our ratings, ESPN+ offers great value for its price, but you won’t have access to pro basketball and football games. Otherwise, if you want access to a full sports line-up within your streaming service you’d do better paying for YouTube TV, fuboTV, or SlingTV.

Check out the top ESPN+ promo codes.

What Other Plans Does ESPN+ Offer?

ESPN+ has a basic plan for $5.99 per month which includes ads. It doesn’t have any options for other plans or add-ons, nor does it offer an option to pay a higher price for an ad-free subscription. So you’ll have to endure commercials just as you would while watching live sports on TV. 

If you like watching UFC pay-per-view events then you must have an ESPN+ subscription to access them. You can pay for an event outright or bundle one UFC event with your annual ESPN+ subscription for $89.98. 

If you like the content provided on ESPN+ but want to watch other content as well, you might enjoy Disney’s bundled package of all its streaming services. For $13.99 you can have a monthly subscription to Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. The bundled package saves you about $6 total, over the price of each service bought separately.

Does ESPN+ Have a Free Trial?

ESPN+ used to offer a free trial but doesn’t anymore. Now you have to purchase a plan right off the bat, but you’re free to cancel your subscription at any time. 

How Many Devices Can Stream ESPN+ at the Same Time?

ESPN+ can stream on up to three devices at once for most content, and there's no option to pay more to get more screens. For pay-per-view events, you can only stream on two devices. You can download content onto your smartphones and tablets to watch offline by accessing ESPN+ from within the ESPN app.

What Shows and Movies Are on ESPN+?

• Live games, including college sports

• “Detail” from Kobe Bryant

• “30 for 30” documentary series

• “The Boardroom” with Kevin Durant

• Replays of Wimbledon and U.S. Open events 

• “NFL’s Greatest Games”

• “NFL Primetime”

• “Peyton’s Places”

• “The Last Dance” documentary series

• “Ariel & The Bad Guy”

• “Stephen A’s World”

Select live sports, highlights, replays, commentary, interviews, and sports documentaries are all offered on ESPN+. It provides access to everything from college sports to UFC events to “30 for 30” biopics. ESPN+ is home to original programming from some of the best to ever play the game: for example, “Detail,” a sports analysis program hosted by elite athletes like Super Bowl champion Peyton Manning. You may not be able to stream live NFL games, but you can rewatch some of its greatest moments on this streaming service. If football’s not your thing, you can veg out on a replay of major golf or tennis events. With a variety of live sports events and on-demand sports content, ESPN+ provides a good value for the monthly cost. 

For more options, see the Best Live TV Streaming Services of 2021.

20 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

RIP to Lletget's sister, Viviana. Condolences to Sebastian and his family.

That's gotta be devastating. Losing siblings just leaves a hole where there used to be something permanent... or at least would be around until old age.

Where will Reggie end up? Where is the best place for him to grow and improve as a defender?

You're dead to us, Julian! Never go full JNip! Eh, he wouldn't have seen the pitch for the red, white, and blue, anyways.

Any Paisanos here? Aren't you supposed to stick out your pinky finger while sipping espresso?

I don't think we have seen this video footage previously. But it's our Yanks mobbing a future Tricky Tree goalie.

Stop fucking up 3G and play Yunus when it matters (cap tie the young lad while he's feeling this way towards the Yanks!).

"Ajax of America" always makes me chuckle. Now this kid allegedly declined a call up to Gold Cup, so I'm ready to unleash hellfire on him when he goes dirty JNip.

More good stuff from Yunus mUSAh! Why isn't he cap tied?!

I despise all English national sports teams, but I respect Reece James for this gesture. He pays homage to Captain America!

Yet another name to take note of. 18 year old forward Dante Sealy, originally from Brooklyn, going from Ajax America to PSV Eindhoven. Your thoughts @shnsajax?

Another 18 year old, Kevin Paredes, midfielder for DC United is linked to go to RB Salzburg and maybe team up with Aaronson (Brendan) the Elder!

Dike rumored to West Brom(wich Albion). Another Championship club...sure why not? This feels like a lateral move but will his footwork develop at West Brom? The transfer window closes on August 31st!

• Hook 'Em 3

Fuck yeah bitches

Congratulations! Your ticket application for the U.S. Men's National Team's 2021 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Jamaica, has been selected for fulfillment. The game will take place on Oct. 7 at Q2 Stadium in Austin, Texas with a kickoff time of 7 p.m. CT. Your exact seat location will be disclosed in your account at www.ussoccer.com/mytix and your payment card will be charged in the coming days.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

An 18 year old balling out vs Bayern Munich.   4 years ago that’d have USMNT going nuts….. now…. How far we’ve come, and there is a whole pipeline of players behind the current group.  

Yep, its not slowing down. Remember reading the Americans Abroad emails twoish years ago and there was barely a page of useful data. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Jochem Sauer, director of Bayern Munich’s youth academy:

"The [soccer] education that young players get in the States is completely different now. The quality of the coaches is better. Combine this technical and tactical improvement with athletic ability, and these are the reasons some players are performing on the highest level. 

"The level of MLS clubs has grown extremely since, say 2010. When MLS players came to train in Germany 10 years ago, the speed of play — how fast the ball goes from player to player, how quickly you have to anticipate what to do next — was too much for them. Now we’ll get FC Dallas players here on trial, and they need only two or three training sessions to adapt."

Sauer: "I think it will continue. If MLS clubs keep bringing young players of 17-18 into the first teams like [Canadian star] Alphonso Davies in Vancouver or Tyler Adams in New York, the country will have an excellent national team in the future. If things keep going the way they are, the U.S. will have a very competitive team in 2026." 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Great header that almost found the net. One bad giveaway. Little hesitant on top of the ball but got swarmed a lot and Crystal Palace was parked almost all game. Won 2-3 fouls close to the box and won a corner. Subbed out in 81st'.

Pretty honest 8 today from him. Maybe a high 7 if you want to nitpick. 

Also this...

u936v1ag9ch71.thumb.jpg.64dd05185c33ba6138ff868db73f0f4b.jpg

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2

The tattoo is regarded, but I'll take his scoring on opening day.

I hope that he plays more than a rotational player once Lukaku is in the lineup, but I don't know if that will happen without injuries.

But Scally's opening game vs Munich followed by Pulisic scoring on opening day puts a USMNT smile on my face.

20 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Fuck yeah bitches

Congratulations! Your ticket application for the U.S. Men's National Team's 2021 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Jamaica, has been selected for fulfillment. The game will take place on Oct. 7 at Q2 Stadium in Austin, Texas with a kickoff time of 7 p.m. CT. Your exact seat location will be disclosed in your account at www.ussoccer.com/mytix and your payment card will be charged in the coming days.

#metoo!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Is it wrong that I want to see Haaland and Reyna playing together forever?

No. I wish BvB would hang onto someone for once because I can't stand Bayern. 

They would have all-time duo potential. 

But Haaland will go for 150 next summer and Reyna will go for close to 100 maybe the window after and life will go on. 

I mean I know that's an open look but that's clinical. Like he's telling the keeper to go fuck himself. Perfect trap - top shelf (actually back left on further review) - thanks for playing.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The tattoo is regarded, but I'll take his scoring on opening day.

I hope that he plays more than a rotational player once Lukaku is in the lineup, but I don't know if that will happen without injuries.

The tat is a bit much but as someone on reddit pointed out he's from central PA which is kind of Hicksville. He's a small-town jock that didn't really attend high school. Meh.

Lukaku shouldn't affect his playing time at all. Unless we try and jam Werner into our starting XI but he was fucking awful today and has zero ball skills so I can't imagine him as anything but a backup 9. Pulisic is firmly in our AM rotation right now with Ziyech, Mount and Havertz - Tuchel isn't going to burn any of those guys 90 every game. Maybe CHO gets reps there but he is most likely staying on our wing depth chart. I also think CP is easily better than him but a lot of the blowhard English fans think differently. Too bad our coach is German. 

I think Puli starts maybe 1 out of every 3 and super subs in quite a bit. We could loan someone but the right depth has kind of been crucial to win the EPL lately.

Either way if he gets loaned or sold then whatever. He's not going to waste away on anyone's bench. He's a legit $50M+ 22 year old. 

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

How is Gio still only 18!

2022 Qatar 20

2026 USA 24

2030 England (maybe) 28

😎

It's stunning how good he is already. Pulisic was a good player at that age but not nearly as talented (although he's probably a better athlete). Transfermkt keeping Gio at $42M is hilarious. BvB is hanging up the phone before you finish that sentence. 

Fuller clip. Haaland actually fucked up the first pass and Reyna was pissed lol (actually looks like he was shouting for a pk - I think Reyna was still the right pass though). Glad it ended well. 

https://streamable.com/j1bygo

I guess maybe Haaland couldn't get his right foot on it and didn't want to risk poking it - so he did probably make the right play. 

Not sure why my initial reaction was to doubt the best(ish) player in the world. 

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

No. I wish BvB would hang onto someone for once because I can't stand Bayern. 

They would have all-time duo potential. 

But Haaland will go for 150 next summer and Reyna will go for close to 100 maybe the window after and life will go on. 

Lukaku shouldn't affect his playing time at all. Unless we try and jam Werner into our starting XI but he was fucking awful today and has zero ball skills so I can't imagine him as anything but a backup 9. Pulisic is firmly in our AM rotation right now with Ziyech, Mount and Havertz - Tuchel isn't going to burn any of those guys 90 every game. Maybe CHO gets reps there but he is most likely staying on our wing depth chart. I also think CP is easily better than him but a lot of the blowhard English fans think differently. Too bad our coach is German. 

Both Haaland and Reyna grew up City fans and we know they will have interest in both. Still a long ways out for that.

I think between Ziyech, Mount, and Pulisic these are players that will all have some minor injuries and will be missing some time throughout the season. Musical chairs will happen naturally just based on health as well. Werner needs to be sold back to Germany even if pennies on the dollar. 

7 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Werner needs to be sold back to Germany even if pennies on the dollar. 

Maybe. I can't imagine he's worth more than 30 right now (that's maybe a bit harsh - was misremembering what his last fee was. But the 80 that TM lists is hilarious). He also should fill our backup 9 slot and not be terrible there. We just sold Tammy so it's just basically Lukaku and Werner right now. 

What I dread is Tuchel trying to shoehorn him on the wing or at the AM but were he going to do that I think CHO or Pulisic would have been sold and not Tammy.

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

...What I dread is Tuchel trying to shoehorn him on the wing or at the AM but were he going to do that I think CHO or Pulisic would have been sold and not Tammy.

It was his play at those positions that drove his value up brought Chelsea's attention.

We saw last year that he sucks as a #9 if you need him to put goals in the back of the net. With Lukaku in town, he can go back to his preferred role. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It was his play at those positions that drove his value up brought Chelsea's attention.

We saw last year that he sucks as a #9 if you need him to put goals in the back of the net. With Lukaku in town, he can go back to his preferred role. 

He hasn't been particularly good at any position at Chelsea. He's played far more games on the wing than at the 9 - he's only playing the 9 right now because we sold Giroud and Tammy and are waiting on Lukaku. 

I dont know what his future holds -  but if he is taking any time away from the 4 guys that are either straight up better (Mount, Havertz) or are clearly in better form right now (Pulisic, Ziyech) then I'm not sure why he's on the team, to be frank. (Werner is also 3-4 years older than Havertz Puli and Mount)

Again - who is backing up Lukaku at the 9? If we're playing him 90 mins every single contest then there are simply too many cooks in the kitchen at the WB and AM spots and someone needs to be sold or loaned. 

My hunch is that he needs to deal with being a super sub and get out of his own head and start finishing or Christ even creating chances because if I have to watch him kick the ball out of bounds and airmail sitters with Ziyech or Pulisic on the bench I'm going to vomit in my mouth. 

Also - this discussion belongs in the Chelsea thread and has for a few posts. Not trying to derail the US thread by talking about a Franz. 

Also also - Wener was bought for a different coach that played a different scheme. Tuchel's wings are asked to play as much defense as offense and his AM's are expected to be able to hold up the ball and play possession - two things that Werner is not good at. 

Edited by ztejas

Sargent's manager liked what he saw from Sargent in limited minutes on his debut.

Venezia's American owners determined to make it an all Yank team.

Another Yank goes to Europe. This time the Danish league. Maybe he might hang out with Christian Cappis.

Decent summary of the weekend: http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/scally-reyna-pulisic-amp-konrad-lead-mixed-weekend-for-americans-abroad

Berhalter still in good enough shape to play pick up soccer.

Get Hoppe to the Prem!

We always had the talent. Just had to find and nurture it.

I would love to see all three on the pitch at the same damn time. But it won't happen because, Gerg.

Konrad is the one who sets the play in motion that ultimately results in a goal.

Tyler Adams must be in full fitness because he got the start, but sadly his club lost.

Video highlights of Sargent's first appearance in the Premiership (you might want to mute the sound if the background music is not your cup of tea).

Friendly reminder of what happened over the weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I effed around and ended up in 131 on the front row.  It was my 7th or 8th ranked selection in the bunch.  

Damn, how many sections did you pick? I only picked 2. SG section and corners didn't want to spend the money on some of the others

42 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Damn, how many sections did you pick? I only picked 2. SG section and corners didn't want to spend the money on some of the others

I filled the whole thing out like a dumbass because when I first tried to only select one section, it bumped me.  Plus I was running low on time to actually finish the selections once the 10 minute window opened.  I wanted upper level somewhere between the 18's preferably, but got freakin' row 1 about 10 yards from mid.  Wasn't exactly trying to shell out $1600 for 4 though.  

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

He is such a playmaker. Not sure where he fits in for the USMNT--winger, 10, false 9, etc.--but he needs to be on the pitch because he constantly creates chances.

This year is the gift that keeps on giving. I'd never heard of Aaronson before last winter (probably says much about my interest level as a fan), and now I'm tuning into club matches I normally wouldn't give a shit about just to see what he does next.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Aaronson with a slick goal for RB Salzburg in Champions League qualifying.  need to find video.  great first touch and clinical finish.

I know there are a bunch of us on the hypetrain for Aaronson and its not slowing down. Few Nats make better more timely runs than him, and his finishing is really great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

He is such a playmaker. Not sure where he fits in for the USMNT--winger, 10, false 9, etc.--but he needs to be on the pitch because he constantly creates chances.

This year is the gift that keeps on giving. I'd never heard of Aaronson before last winter (probably says much about my interest level as a fan), and now I'm tuning into club matches I normally wouldn't give a shit about just to see what he does next.

I struggle with this as well, but hes like a young Robben.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1