USMNT 2021

Napoleon

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

His profile page on FC Dallas website sucks. What position does Che play? Will he be loaned back to Bayern II to the first division team?

Hoppe to Real Mallorca? Well at least he'll be free from Schalke.

I want to say RB, but he prefers CB if I am not mistaken. 

Yeah, not sure how I feel about Mallorca but so far in 3 games they are 2-1 and only 3 goals scored, and at least its not Schalke.

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Justin Che to Bayern might be happening again.

Also Stu Holden and Steve Nash are looking to buy Hoppe. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

His profile page on FC Dallas website sucks. What position does Che play? Will he be loaned back to Bayern II to the first division team?

Hoppe to Real Mallorca? Well at least he'll be free from Schalke.

I liked Stu Holden on the USMNT, was sad to see injuries end his career, but thought that he was just a play-by-play announcer for ESPN and #2 on the US soccer play-by-play guys behind Taylor Twellman. I'm not a fanboy, so I didn't know much about him, just thought that it was a bummer that he had to retire so early...

HOLY SHIT his life has turned out well!

1) Retires early due to injuries, but quickly gets a spot behind the microphone in part because he was covering teams with players that were his age. Teams that he should be playing on.

2) Marries a model who is pretty damned hot. Karalyn West

image.png.853ff8ca2470db0f79916dcf7f18f7d6.png

image.png.8ded22ac272de7ba1afa48a2ebaa70b8.png

image.png.5cc3ee6f00acf2c5a4755609df789bee.png

image.thumb.png.12ef08fb1493295b332c319ee2d830bf.png

3) He can afford to live a good life in LA calling games for FOX rather than being stuck in Bristol, Connecticut working for ESPN.

4) The wife/model squeezes out a kid (at least one), so he gets to play proud pop.

5) He becomes an active part of an ownership group that buys a controlling interest in a soccer team on the lovely Mediterranean island of Mallorca.

6) He makes several trips to Mallorca due to his involvement with the club... all "business trips".

7) Mallorca gets promoted to La Liga 2 in 2018 and then to La Liga top division in 2019.

8. ) In 2021 ESPN takes over the broadcasting rights to broadcast La Liga matches in the USA instead of beIN Sports, so more money in La Liga clubs' coffers.

9) All this and Stuart Holden is still only 36 Fucking Years-Old!! (He's younger than Cristiano Ronaldo!)

Wife says "Hey" again...

1139746508_ScreenShot2021-08-31at3_17_31AM.thumb.jpeg.4754d6002cbc98c5fafe4bbd2c6589e7.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Regardless of which league one plays in, it doesn't matter unless you're getting consistent minutes. Good for Chris Richards! Some scuttlebutt on the Twitterverse that Hoffenheim have reserved the right to match any offer to buy Richards that Bayern Munich receives.

Betting on where CCV gets loaned out to next could be a fun pastime.

Venezia is quite literally the Fulham of Serie A. They might even get relegated after the season is over, too! Oh and congrats to the young midfielder, de Vries. 

Please please please let this materialize for Hoppe.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I liked Stu Holden on the USMNT, was sad to see injuries end his career, but thought that he was just a play-by-play announcer for ESPN and #2 on the US soccer play-by-play guys behind Taylor Twellman. I'm not a fanboy, so I didn't know much about him, just thought that it was a bummer that he had to retire so early...

HOLY SHIT his life has turned out well!

1) Retires early due to injuries, but quickly gets a spot behind the microphone in part because he was covering teams with players that were his age. Teams that he should be playing on.

2) Marries a model who is pretty damned hot. Karalyn West

image.png.853ff8ca2470db0f79916dcf7f18f7d6.png

image.png.8ded22ac272de7ba1afa48a2ebaa70b8.png

image.png.5cc3ee6f00acf2c5a4755609df789bee.png

image.thumb.png.12ef08fb1493295b332c319ee2d830bf.png

3) He can afford to live a good life in LA calling games for FOX rather than being stuck in Bristol, Connecticut working for ESPN.

4) The wife/model squeezes out a kid (at least one), so he gets to play proud pop.

5) He becomes an active part of an ownership group that buys a controlling interest in a soccer team on the lovely Mediterranean island of Mallorca.

6) He makes several trips to Mallorca due to his involvement with the club... all "business trips".

7) Mallorca gets promoted to La Liga 2 in 2018 and then to La Liga top division in 2019.

8. ) In 2021 ESPN takes over the broadcasting rights to broadcast La Liga matches in the USA instead of beIN Sports, so more money in La Liga clubs' coffers.

9) All this and Stuart Holden is still only 36 Fucking Years-Old!! (He's younger than Cristiano Ronaldo!)

Wife says "Hey" again...

1139746508_ScreenShot2021-08-31at3_17_31AM.thumb.jpeg.4754d6002cbc98c5fafe4bbd2c6589e7.jpeg

You missed the most important thing he has going for him: he isn't Taylor Twellman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Taking it a little further, it's because he hasn't played since August 14. He is staying in Nashville to get back into playing shape. With there being 3 games in 7 days, it's not like he won't get to play this break.

Pulisic, 22, announced that he tested positive for COVID-19 on Aug. 18, saying that he was fully vaccinated and had no symptoms. After isolating for at least 10 days in London, per British guidelines, he cleared coronavirus protocols and participated in U.S. national team workouts on Monday and Tuesday.

The Chelsea midfielder missed two Premier League matches due to the virus, with his most recent appearance the opener against Crystal Palace on Aug. 14.

Considering his prolonged absence from playing and training, the U.S. opted to leave Pulisic back in Nashville to continue training in order to gain fitness for the second two games of the three-game window. The U.S. is playing three qualifiers in seven days.

The Americans' first qualifier against El Salvador is Thursday at 10:05 p.m. ET. The USMNT will take on Canada on Sept. 5 in Nashville, followed by a matchup at Honduras on Sept. 8.

Edited by Captain Ron

2022-2026 World Cup Cycle

1) The USMNT won't have to qualify, so they will have to play a ton of friendlies with Europeans & South Americans and I wouldn't mind some African teams as well.

2) If we qualify for 2022, Gregg Berhalter is going to be our head coach through the 2026 World Cup.

I don't know if I'm saying something that people didn't want to read online, or even think about it, but if anyone thinks that US Soccer is going to have a foreign head coach (manager) for the World Cup that we are hosting, I just want to start preparing you for that contract extension that will happen in December 2022/January 2023.

1. Given that we're talking about a joint US-Canada-Mexico bid, how will CONCACAF qualification go? How many other teams will get in? That said, the bulk of our friendlies will be against teams from Europe I hope. We won't be able to get anyone else during the qualification breaks (their schedules would be full).

2. Is an extension a given with just qualifying for Qatar? I mean, we could flame out and not make it into the group stage. With the talent he is going to have, would an extension be justified then?

Frankly, it's a wait an see thing. He might prove to be up for the job. He might not, so I have a long time to get angry.

I also think if we aren't bringing Gergg back, all bets are off for where the coach comes from. Especially if Gergg disappoints in Qatar.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

1. Given that we're talking about a joint US-Canada-Mexico bid, how will CONCACAF qualification go? How many other teams will get in? That said, the bulk of our friendlies will be against teams from Europe I hope. We won't be able to get anyone else during the qualification breaks (their schedules would be full).

2. Is an extension a given with just qualifying for Qatar? I mean, we could flame out and not make it into the group stage. With the talent he is going to have, would an extension be justified then?

Frankly, it's a wait an see thing. He might prove to be up for the job. He might not, so I have a long time to get angry.

I also think if we aren't bringing Gergg back, all bets are off for where the coach comes from. Especially if Gergg disappoints in Qatar.

1) The World Cup is going to expand from 32 teams to 48 teams (pods of 3 teams with the Top 2 advancing... I believe) and the home region always gets thrown a bone, so I would expect at least 2 other spots to be awarded to CONCACAF and maybe even 2 1/2.

2) US Soccer waited a year for Gregg to finish with Columbus before he took the job. Then he won the inaugural Nations League and an extremely competitive Gold Cup with our B/C team. Yes, Gregg is helped by the start of an insane wave of US homegrown talent, but the stars of the team also love him. And he gets them to play a combo of Skilled Football + American Gritty Defense of Old.

There is no way that US Soccer will bring in a foreigner, so Gregg would have to really fuck something up to NOT be kept around. A World Cup collapse as ugly as the 2017 loss in T&T would have to happen to even question whether to keep him around. They will sell him as the US' Jogi Löw.

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

El Salvador game is on CBS Sports Net, which apparently I don't get on Spectrum because it's not a part of the *SPORTS* pack which I subscribe to.

Guess I can do Paramount+ free trial. Or hopefully one of you noble gentleman will be sharing a stream.

Has anyone signed up for Paramount+

There is some CBSSportsline/Paramount+ combo thing that I haven't researched enough that give you (American) Fantasy Football tips shit as well as Paramount+ and since my draft is next week and the USMNT start playing tonight, I'm kind of willing to do the CBSSportsline thing.

Does anyone know about this shit?

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

1) The World Cup is going to expand from 32 teams to 48 teams (pods of 3 teams with the Top 2 advancing... I believe) and the home region always gets thrown a bone, so I would expect at least 2 other spots to be awarded to CONCACAF and maybe even 2 1/2.

2) US Soccer waited a year for Gregg to finish with Columbus before he took the job. Then he won the inaugural Nations League and an extremely competitive Gold Cup with our B/C team. Yes, Gregg is helped by the start of an insane wave of US homegrown talent, but the stars of the team also love him. And he gets them to play a combo of Skilled Football + American Gritty Defense of Old.

There is no way that US Soccer will bring in a foreigner, so Gregg would have to really fuck something up to NOT be kept around. A World Cup collapse as ugly as the 2017 loss in T&T would have to happen to even question whether to keep him around. They will sell him as the US' Jogi Löw.

1. Yeah I forgot about the expanded rosters, so there are going to be a lot of slots.

2. The guy has some skins on his wall. But frankly, with this team just making the Qatar is the barely the minimum. Anyone will a pulse should be able to make the WC with the talent we have and playing against CONCACAF. I still think his bar should be make it out of the group. Then we can talk extension.

I will say this - selling him a Low isn't going to fool those that know. To those of us that follow this team, we know Beerholder is a joke. The casuals that will see this team for the first time in 2022 won't know/get how this team is used vs how they should be used. They would be saying "Who?" at the mention of Low. They will just see a team that is super talented and will be the face of US soccer for years. They don't care who the coach is at all.

In the end, you're probably right he's likely back for 2026. And who knows maybe in the next 15+ months he will become a coach that will utilize this team to it's potential and really get us excited for 2026.

But I'm not holding my breath.

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Has anyone signed up for Paramount+

There is some CBSSportsline/Paramount+ combo thing that I haven't researched enough that give you (American) Fantasy Football tips shit as well as Paramount+ and since my draft is next week and the USMNT start playing tonight, I'm kind of willing to do the CBSSportsline thing.

Does anyone know about this shit?

I don't know about the deal you're talking about. I do know about Paramount - I signed up for it last year (Champions League/Europa after all). I will recommend it, you get a lot of content for what you pay for. First you get all of the US road games (except Mexico), that's 4 games alone before December (El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Jamaica). You also get Asian qualifiers and the UCL/Europa leauge.

Right now there is a deal PAWOFFER (something to do with Paw Patrol, I think one of the dogs died), you get  a month free (no way to overlap the 2 WC qualifier cycles). Sign up, watch this cycle, and see if you want to stick around for the year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

USSF actually has a decent track record of binning managers. Qualifying for 2022 is not going to buy Gerg 4 years. If we don't get out of groups I doubt he coaches another game. 

Do we really? I might ask what you exactly mean by this, BUT ...

I feel like we kind of hang on to our guys a bit too long. Let's ignore pre-1998, since we weren't that established yet.

After that disaster, we bring on Arena for the 2002 cycle and he impresses. So we keep him for 2006, where he falters badly.
We skip a shot at Klinsmann then, and bring on Bradley who does well in 2010. We think maybe it's time for JK then ... NOPE. We re-sign Bob only to fire him after the 2011 Gold Cup final (4 unanswered Mexico goals).
So Klinsmann is in for the 2014 cycle, he impresses, and we bring him back for the 2018 cycle where he falters.
Hell, then we go back to the well with Arena, which is an even worse disaster. 
And now we are at Gergg.

I guess the real question is are we hanging onto these guys because they do something? In every case, they made it out of the group stage and then were retained. So, does that say Gergg needs to make it out of the Group stage to at least get a shot for 2026?

EDIT - I agree with your sentiment, if he doesn't make it out of the groups,we should dump him. I just hope we do.

Edited by Captain Ron

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I feel like we kind of hang on to our guys a bit too long. Let's ignore pre-1998, since we weren't that established yet.

After that disaster, we bring on Arena for the 2002 cycle and he impresses. So we keep him for 2006, where he falters badly.
We skip a shot at Klinsmann then, and bring on Bradley who does well in 2010. We think maybe it's time for JK then ... NOPE. We re-sign Bob only to fire him after the 2011 Gold Cup final (4 unanswered Mexico goals).
So Klinsmann is in for the 2014 cycle, he impresses, and we bring him back for the 2018 cycle where he falters.
And now we are at Gergg.

I guess the real question is are we hanging onto these guys because they do something? In every case, they made it out of the group stage and then were retained. So, does that say Gergg needs to make it out of the Group stage to at least get a shot for 2026?

EDIT - I agree with your sentiment, if he doesn't make it out of the groups,we should dump him. I just hope we do.

This is kind of meandering nonsense. Yes, Gergg will almost certainly be let go if the USMNT fails to advance from group play. Every coach who hasn't made it out of group (or failed to qualify) has been axed (Gansler '90, Sampson '98, Arena '06, and Klinnsman/Arena '18), so there's no reason to think 3G would survive failing to advance, particularly with the talent at his disposal.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

And now we are at Gergg.

Since we hired Bradley our guys are averaging about 3 years per stint. That makes me skeptical that qualifying buys anyone 4 MORE years. 

But also - our talent pool is the best it's ever been and is going to elevate any manager which might give Gerg a longer leash (simply because I expect our results to be better).

I'm fine with our situation right now - I just don't want to blow a great chance in 2026 with a middling manager that's being carried by elite talent. 

Edited by ztejas

On 8/31/2021 at 9:18 AM, UDontKnow said:

Please please please let this materialize for Hoppe.

Glad this happened. Mallorca seems to be climbing the ranks quickly. Hoppe needs more minutes but he still needs to be challenged, particularly with respect to technique. 

He also needs to be featured at forward. Dude is a born scorer. He could succeed as a winger, but he's always going to cheat inside and look to go for goal, so you might as well start him there.

We are on the cusp of having genuine depth, i.e., being able to legitimately argue over a starting 11 at most every position.

Borat.gif

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I really hope not.

Doesn't make much sense. Yedlin is heavily right footed. He also has no technical ability. He's just fast and physical, which sorta works on the wing, but not as a holding mid. If that is the formation we're going with, I'm guessing Yedlin will play wide with Ream underneath and inside of him, so more of a 5-4-1?

But I really don't know. Some of Gergg's decisions are inscrutable.

Somebody 'splain it to me like I'm a 5-year-old, please.

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Doesn't make much sense. Yedlin is heavily right footed. He also has no technical ability. He's just fast and physical, which sorta works on the wing, but not as a holding mid. If that is the formation we're going with, I'm guessing Yedlin will play wide with Ream underneath and inside of him, so more of a 5-4-1?

But I really don't know. Some of Gergg's decisions are inscrutable.

Somebody 'splain it to me like I'm a 5-year-old, please.

It isn't what we're doing

Dest Ream Robinson Yedlin - Adams at the 6