USMNT 2021

Napoleon

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Take Zardes for example - as many faults as he has - when you play that guy in he shoots that shit. He isn't hesitating because someone better might be on his flank. That's why guys like him are still valuable to this team in an ironic fashion. 

Yes ...

BUT ...

The problem is that Zardes only gets 1 chance in 100 for that shot. The other 99 times he has such a shitty first touch that the ball is harmlessly rounded up by the keeper or he just dribbled it over the end line.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There's no calming presence up front. @Jive Turkey was right - we are missing the 6 inches between Pulisic's ears. Need more experience and decisiveness. Hilarious that a 22 year old provides that for us.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pefok for Sargent was so fucking stupid. So sick of this shit. New decade same result. 

I would have liked to have seen a Jesus & Pepi joint substitution (I know that Jesus isn't in the squad, so not possible) up front.

Those two know how to work off each other and with Christian and Weah not here and not calling in Julian Green, Jesus could have easily made the trip and then they could have pinged it back & forth Frisco-style.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texasborn91 said:

Bullshit. Beat el Salvador. Doesn’t matter where we play them. Looked like the ball was 9 pounds when we were in Possession. 

God forbid we play to a standard instead of continuing to skate by and keep the public relatively interested like we have for 30 years now. 

Berhalter has no idea what he's doing. He did better when his hand was forced into playing C teamers. Not the right man for the job. Doesn't appear to know how to manage star players and personalities. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i've been watching the nats for 30 fucking years.  this is what central america on the road looks like.

How many of those squads had the talent that this XI does? We are supposed to be improving. Not reaffirming the status quo every 4 years. How many of the top 10 sides in the world struggle for 3 in El Salvador tonight? Isn't the ultimate goal competing for a WC? We are never getting there with results like this.

Going back to the talk earlier in the day - Beerholder sucks. Unless we make the 2nd KO round, we better not bring him back. There isn't any cohesion out there. In all the games we've played this summer til now - I really can't tell what our game plan is. Yeah we play hard, but well ... I haven't really seen it.

3 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

And I know we say Reynas attitude is just the dog in him but Brooks needs to grab his ass in the locker room and ground him a little. Every fucking possession he is throwing his arms up in disgust. 

that shit is getting really old.  i think Pulisic is the guy that we need reminding Gio he ain't the best guy on the pitch.  but he wasn't there.

and Canada is no guaranteed win for the U.S.  that's why we need the full 3 points against the shitty teams like ES, whether at home or on the road.

Edited by Jive Turkey

Just now, ztejas said:

How many of those squads had the talent that this XI does? We are supposed to be improving. Not reaffirming the status quo every 4 years. How many of the top 10 sides in the world struggle for 3 in El Salvador tonight? Isn't the ultimate goal competing for a WC? We are never getting there with results like this.

In defense - if you put a England out there they wipe the floor. But the ENT has been playing as a unit for years. This iteration of the USMNT has been together like 5 games? 

1 minute ago, Texasborn91 said:

Mckennie was really bad, so was Aaronson. And I know we say Reynas attitude is just the dog in him but Brooks needs to grab his ass in the locker room and ground him a little. Every fucking possession he is throwing his arms up in disgust. 

I agree with you but Reyna needs leadership around him. He's 18 fucking years old. We cannot ask him to be both the most talented player on the pitch and the most poised. He is going to accomplish the former every game by default. He needs help accomplishing the latter and we are not doing him any favors to achieve that. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

In defense - if you put a England out there they wipe the floor. But the ENT has been playing as a unit for years. This iteration of the USMNT has been together like 5 games? 

We had plenty of guys out there tonight with plenty of caps. Adams, McKennie, Ream, Yedlin - they can be better than they were tonight. I refuse to believe they can't. We shouldn't expect a ceiling but I think it's acceptable to expect a higher floor. 

Also England had plenty of young guys with less than 5 years experience playing together in this last Euro. 

Edited by ztejas

I have been relatively impressed with El Salvador’s cohesion this summer – they play with an actual identity. I think they’re potentially better than half the octagonal, especially if Canada is banged up. Obviously, I wish we got a W, but one point is not cause for panic yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:
i've been watching the nats for 30 fucking years.  this is what central america on the road looks like.

And you're happy with that?

no, but i won't be happy if the horns scrape by louisiana either, and yet i have full-on battered horn syndrome

the nats have a great record against el salvador on the road

77 friendly 1-2

77 friendly 0-1

89 wcq 0-1

97 wcq 1-1

04 wcq 0-1

09 wcq 2-2

20 wcq 0-0

full internationals: 2 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses

overall: 4 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses

we have never lost to el salvador, home or away

19-5-0 including tonight

but this is on dry land, not an island scrub

a draw is not desired but regardless of talent par for the course

we made par

we often make birdie against el salvador

not today

blame canada

13 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Beerholder sucks.

i was the biggest beerholder hater on the planet until he won 2 full international finals v. soccer aggy, the 2nd with a C-side.

i was there, i was there..... welp, not there, i was watching, i was watching three thousand years ago when the jamaican prendergast whistled greg for growing a 5th baby arm from his forehead in the 92nd minute at saprissa in 2001 to deny keller and the nats.  i firmly believed greg's karma was sealed that day and that he should never be anywhere near the program.

i firmly believed he got the job because of his brother (was COO of the fed).   i hated his selection on the heels of juergen's dismissal.  #teamgoppingen.

i never believed he had any capability to make tactical personnel decisions based on the opposition.

until he won 2 full international finals v. soccery aggy, the 2nd with a C-side.

i believe in gregg berhalter.

24 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Glad my son and I left my high school football game to watch this junk.

You guys don't do it right.  Wife was watching Beethoven (the dog one) in the other room, would come in every ten minutes, watch a couple of minutes, and pronounce the game boring.  When she left, I would switch to "Hugo" on TCM.  It has Borat, by the way. 

• Hook 'Em 2