USMNT 2021

Napoleon

11 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Its odd to call in Pepi and leave off Hoppe, though I wonder if him trying to secure a transfer has anything to do with it?

Hope hasn’t played since the Gold Cup Final. He needs to figure out his club situation. 

GREAT PEPI HIGHLIGHT REEL

North Texas SC (Dallas’ USL team) & FC Dallas 

• Like 3

I would like Green to get back in the fold. Lletget makes into the midfielder pool, but not Green? 

Important for our Center Back depth.

At least McKennie is valued by his manager. Hopefully he stays with Juventus.

Gioacchini might be moving up the ranks in France.

Looks like Busio is in Venezia's starting XI today.

I agree with this opinion regarding Chris Richards. I think he should have gotten a WCQ camp call up.

The above opinion was in regards to this statement from Richards's manager.

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Can't stand espn for video.

https://streamwo.com/t9zhyL1

Haaland couldn't have been more excited for Gio to score that goal. He's like an enormous 4 year-old. So cool to see. It would be great if they play together at their next stop. (Citeh?)

Re: VENEZIA (Italy)

Good News: Busio played the full "90 minutes".

Bad News: Venezia lost 3 - 0 and are now in last place in Serie A.

2 Games Played
0 Points
-5 Goal Differential

Re: ALAVÉS (Spain)

Good News: Miazga played the full "90 minutes".

Bad News: Alavés lost 3 - 0 and are now in last place in La Liga... and Miazga got a yellow card.

3 Games Played
0 Points
-7 Goal Differential

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, Jive Turkey said:

Tim Ream and Lletget?

only 5 midfielders?

On 8/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, Ollie Slatt said:

Strange to only have 5 midfielders -- but maybe it means Aaronson will get some time in the midfield.  Hopefully Lletget and Roldan are only used as late game subs.   

Was hoping the Tim Ream Era for the USMNT was over, and not sure I buy the "Reyna mentor" story, but as long as Ream doesn't play at back, I'm good.

No surprise at Lletget's inclusion. Only thing that will keep him from being called up is terminal cancer ... and even then, it's probably 50/50.

Roldan's a good kid and had a couple of influential moments during the Gold Cup, but it seemed like better options were available. As @Ted Lange noted, it's a shame Green, Hoppe, or de la Torre weren't called up. I'll also throw in Chris Richards.

That said, I'm sure there's a lot going on behind the scenes. Clubs are never happy to release their players (even when they have to), and some athletes come with a sense of urgency (i.e., call me up now or lose me forever), so Gergg deserves some trust. 

As for the five midfielders, it's a deceptive figure because some of those listed as forwards will be playing in midfield. I expect we'll see Reyna on the right (or perhaps as an enganche) and Aaronson or Pulisic (if Christian doesn't play as a supporting forward) on the left. Honestly, any of those three could play anywhere in support of our strikers and I'd be thrilled.

Incidentally, we couldn't have asked for a better schedule: an away start against one of the weaker teams in the octagonal, a home date versus one of the best sides, and then another road test, this time against a solid opponent.

Three points should be the expectation against El Salvador. One is the norm for an away match, but the Cuzcaltecos are essentially a US D (or even F) team, with about six or seven of their players from the Gold Cup being born in the States, including Cristian Roldan's younger brother, Alex. Even their coach is a US export.

Next week can't get here soon enough. Eager to see if we can break down a bunkered-in and disciplined defense. Also hoping to see what de la Fuente or Pepi can do at the international level, possibly in a super sub role.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Was hoping the Tim Ream Era for the USMNT was over, and not sure I buy the "Reyna mentor" story, but as long as Ream doesn't play at back, I'm good.

That's good for a laugh. Maybe Reyna can mentor him. The fuck does Ream know about Reyna's position?

2 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Sir.  

😄

I'm well aware and I stand by my point. I just don't see him respecting or buying in to what Ream has to say. I'd think Pulisic would be the best "mentor" candidate for him.

I also kind of like his edge. If the body language is detrimental to him or his team's play then BvB will sort it out. He's just 18.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:36 PM, Napoleon said:

Hope hasn’t played since the Gold Cup Final. He needs to figure out his club situation. 

GREAT PEPI HIGHLIGHT REEL

North Texas SC (Dallas’ USL team) & FC Dallas 

honestly see a lot of Roberto Firmino in his game. 

silky first touch, great hold up play, likes to receive the ball deep, can beat a man with a dribble, not afraid to finish either. 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Yeah, I’m not sure how someone could think otherwise. 

MaleBriskKob-small.gif

I wanted to believe that there was an explanation for his repeated inclusion. It has been an unexplainable mystery to me.

Also...

Gio seems a little on the edge and he's only 18, so those two things + lots of money can be a recipe for disaster.

1445657629-giphy-2.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Gio seems a little on the edge and he's only 18, so those two things + lots of money can be a recipe for disaster.

Until his play is a disaster I'll remain bullish on his future. I'm thinking he ages out of some of it. Staying at Dortmund will help - they tend to develop young guys very well.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Also...

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Until his play is a disaster I'll remain bullish on his future. I'm thinking he ages out of some of it. Staying at Dortmund will help - they tend to develop young guys very well.

This. It can be a recipe for disaster. But in a lot of people it works out. We only happen to hear about those that it didn't work out for.

Don't forget, it's not like Reyna is coming from nothing or not understanding stardom, his father was in the same situation. I am sure that he is guiding him well in this path. As with what ztejas said - until he is a problem, he isn't one.

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

This. It can be a recipe for disaster. But in a lot of people it works out. We only happen to hear about those that it didn't work out for.

Don't forget, it's not like Reyna is coming from nothing or not understanding stardom, his father was in the same situation. I am sure that he is guiding him well in this path. As with what ztejas said - until he is a problem, he isn't one.

Some of his intangibles will also serve him as they are things that you can't teach. It can be a fine line and he has some room to grow when it comes to maturity but the competitive fire he has underneath is something he needs to hold on to. 

$20 says Lletget starts 2 of 3 games and, prob sees the field in the other.  

I watched a Sounder game last week, and Roldan was the worst player on the field.  I don't get it.

That being said, it's hard to argue the most recent results from Beerholder.  I mean, if TX went 6-0 by beating Rice and Kansas by 3 points, but also beating OU, I'd be cool with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That being said, it's hard to argue the most recent results from Beerholder.

He definitely bought himself some favor with the Gold Cup win. I just can't tell if he's actually doing a good job positioning our guys or if our overall quality is simply getting to be too much for other sides to handle. At the least I'd say he has us all on the same page, playing for each other and with a good amount of passion. Sometimes that's enough to be a decent manager. 

I'll give him some more credit if we go WWW but anything short of that and it's kind of like... who couldn't get this roster to a couple of wins and a draw or a loss? If our starting XI isn't more valuable than all 3 of those teams combined it's only because Davies moves the needle enough by himself. But he and Reyna might be a wash as far as I'm concerned (regardless of tmkt's thoughts on the matter).

I think we should all be okay with Gerg through 2022 at this point - but I'd like a better tactical mind for 2026 unless we make some crazy semis run or something next year. He can drive a VW just fine but I want someone that knows their way around a Porsche (and isn't afraid to take it out of the garage).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Dortmund needs to sign Pepi in January and then slowly bleed him into the system in anticipation of Haaland leaving next summer.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

his point - but I'd like a better tactical mind for 2026 unless we make some crazy semis run or something next year. He can drive a VW just fine but I want someone that knows their way around a Porsche (and isn't afraid to take it out of the garage).

This seems like this might meet your expectations.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Crap

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

More of a tough break for him than the team although you never like to lose a guy. I have a hunch he's going to be fighting pretty hard for a roster spot in the years to come. 

Weah will be back for future rounds of qualification as he is an integral member of the team. Just a friendly reminder for all, WCQ is going to be a long, drawn out, and grueling process. Fun for us fans, but absolutely taxing on the players and not all members of the MNT pool may be able to play each qualifier.

US World Cup Qualifying 2022 | Chasing A Cup

43 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Just a friendly reminder for all, WCQ is going to be a long, drawn out, and grueling process. Fun for us fans, but absolutely taxing on the players and not all members of the MNT pool may be able to play each qualifier.

Not to nitpick, but it'll be a historically short process this cycle. Less than seven months, start to finish.

What will be grueling are the three matches played within a week on four of those five windows.

Tough on the players, but (hopefully) fucking glorious for we fans.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

as he is an integral member of the team.

Yeah I just don't buy that and he needs to prove it. I'd love for Weah to feature for us but only if he's earned it. We are too deep for fringe talents like him to just walk into our starting XI. 

More of a tough break for him than the team although you never like to lose a guy. I have a hunch he's going to be fighting pretty hard for a roster spot in the years to come. 

Konrad has been looking really sharp as well since his move and seems to have cemented himself as a starter though the sample size is very small.

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

10th goal of the season for,Pepe

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

11th goal of the season for Pepe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Pepe" is the nickname for "Jose". Pepi's name is "Ricardo".

So... "Ricardo", "Pepi", or maybe even "RP" would work, but his name isn't "Jose".

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I just don't buy that and he needs to prove it. I'd love for Weah to feature for us but only if he's earned it. We are too deep for fringe talents like him to just walk into our starting XI. 

I agree I could see him get phased out next cycle. Too many injuries, and too many up and comers. Has to stay healthy and produce going forward

10 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

If Pulisic can't go in El Salvador (COVID), you start de la Fuente.

Yeah, I don't see him ahead of either Pulisic or Gio if both can go.

Pulisic cleared protocols and was in training today. I'd be shocked if he isn't good to go for El Salvador.

12 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Justin Che to Bayern might be happening again.

Also Stu Holden and Steve Nash are looking to buy Hoppe. 

His profile page on FC Dallas website sucks. What position does Che play? Will he be loaned back to Bayern II to the first division team?

Hoppe to Real Mallorca? Well at least he'll be free from Schalke.