USMNT 2021

Napoleon

And Brendan’s younger brother is supposed to be the better of the two.  We shall see.  

This almost has a pro sports rebuild feel, like when the Cowboys finally ran out of steam under Landry, lingered for a several years then hit on Ainkman and Irvin, and got a ton of picks for Hershel.  Or when he Astros tanked and just loaded up on draft picks.   Watching all these new prospects, with new ones popping up seemingly weekly is something to behold.  

With all the big leagues being televised there is pretty much a game on, with a USMNT player all morning and afternoon on the weekend and several times during the week.   Hell we even have exciting prospects in MLS, Clark, Cowell, Williamson, Neymen, Paxton Aaronson, FC Dallas, etc….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This depth is gonna be crucial for those 3 game OCHO windows, I don’t see anyone playing all 270+ minutes.   We should get a good dose of Weah, Aaronson, & KDLF.  Wish Musah was healthy.   Probably see a fair amount of Acosta and Lletget and Roldan the first window at least.  I’m curious to see who wins the GK battle and if they start all 3.  CBs, I’d bet Brooks only starts 2 of the 3, but we have a pretty solid group besides him.   RB/LB. Dest then a bunch of interchangeable guys.

sounds like we will be calling up 26-30 players, can’t wait.  2 more weeks 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

And Brendan’s Brenden's younger brother is supposed to be the better of the two.  We shall see.  

This almost has a pro sports rebuild feel, like when the Cowboys finally ran out of steam under Landry, lingered for a several years then hit on Ainkman and Irvin, and got a ton of picks for Hershel.  Or when he Astros tanked and just loaded up on draft picks.   Watching all these new prospects, with new ones popping up seemingly weekly is something to behold.  

With all the big leagues being televised there is pretty much a game on, with a USMNT player all morning and afternoon on the weekend and several times during the week.   Hell we even have exciting prospects in MLS, Clark, Cowell, Williamson, Neymen, Paxton Paxten Aaronson, FC Dallas, etc….

"Paxten" Aaronson (@Pax10) is slim, taller, silkier but not as rugged as Brenden. (The "-en" ending is big in the Aaronson family.)

Brenden is someone I would trust playing anywhere in the front 6 and would do the dirty work as well. I could see him averaging winning 5 tackles a match. He will also make the needed run, make the assist, track back, whatever. He's a guy I always want in the match day 18 and probably want on the field as much as possible.

Paxten is young, only 17, and is supposed to be the more skilled, but he's kind of Kaká-ish. Skilled (don't know how fast), but a little more of a pussy than the average player vs his brother who has a little Javier Mascherano in him. He won't back down vs anyone and that will continue to build, I believe.

Here's Paxten's goal from a week and a half ago in his first start for The Philly Guidos. 

NOTE: Paxten is right-footed.

He obviously doesn't care about the foot used as much as where the space opens up.

NOTE 2: That goal was against Matt Turner, who may have 2 left feet, but he's a hell of a shot stopper.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

And Brendan’s younger brother is supposed to be the better of the two.  We shall see.  

With all the big leagues being televised there is pretty much a game on, with a USMNT player all morning and afternoon on the weekend and several times during the week.   Hell we even have exciting prospects in MLS, Clark, Cowell, Williamson, Neymen, Paxton Aaronson, FC Dallas, etc….

Who the hell is Ainkman? 

giphy.gif

Literally came here to post this as I couldnt remember if it had been before or just Napoleon saying something similar.

Either way this makes me even more giddy about Gio. He’s going to be our fuck around and find out player in 4 years and put on some of that bulk we see in Bayern players seem to once he gets out of his teen years.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Literally came here to post this as I couldnt remember if it had been before or just Napoleon saying something similar.

Either way this makes me even more giddy about Gio. He’s going to be our fuck around and find out player in 4 years and put on some of that bulk we see in Bayern players seem to once he gets out of his teen years.

1) I hadn't seen that overhead angle of Gio racing over to the downed player to scream some Spanish insult in the guy's face that made the guy leap up and go at Gio and Gio walked away like he didn't understand why people were so upset, but I had deduced it from bad angles in another video.

2) I heard about Gio grinning at Pulisic's Champions League Final miss on a podcast. This is the first time that I've seen video of it.

3) I accurately pointed out Gio's shithousery to win that PK vs [?????] despite one poster continuously whining that Gio got fouled.

4) I have to say that Tim Ream needs to be called in for all of our World Cup qualifiers if only to serve as Gio's sherpa. I prefer that he not play, but if he gets to play every 6th game as a reward for flying over to be Gio's big brother every time Gio comes in for matches, I'm okay for that. And I would be more than happy to see Tim Ream be hired as a practice player/assistant coach for the USMNT when we go to Qatar, because we are fucking going to Qatar, just to make sure that young Siddartha Reyna stays focused on who the real opponent is.

As I was listening to The Scuffed Soccer Podcast (name is close) tonight, one of the hosts and a guest journalist talked about the USMNT's first 3 opponents (El Salvador, Canada, Honduras) coming up in about 2 weeks' time and they referenced: Day Games in Central America and Tall Grass*.

*re: Tall Grass...

...Our players who have only played in the US and in Europe have no idea what playing in the rough is going to be like. Maybe some of these guys played on shitty surfaces before they turned 10, but definitely not since they've been pros.

I would love for the USMNT to have one shitty field in Orlando/Miami... wherever that they let grow to about 3" to 4" higher than the golf fairway cuts that they are all so used to and have an actual scrimmage on that for about 20 to 30 minutes a couple of different times just in case!! I want these kids to have some sort of idea of what kind of shit they are maybe going to be up against rather than just showing up in El Salvador and thinking...

"W...T...F...? My club would lose their shit if they knew that I was going to play against some team on this shit!"

I want them to be prepared for CONCACAF's answer to "a cold rainy weeknight in Stoke". (a.k.a. a "cold wet windy night at Stoke City")

• Hook 'Em 1

Thats a lot of words, but I agree.  If we aren't practicing on unmown turf before some of these games our coaching staff is doing us a huge disservice, moving the ball is completely different on shitty fields.  We can't practice on a muddy, uneven field for player safety reasons but there's no reason not to have long slow grass for a training session or 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

btw, did anyone else have a shitshow of a time trying to pay for their WCQ tix?  It took about 30 times and I had to write a check from myself to myself at a different bank account for the payment to go through.  Completely idiotic.   My bank kept getting flagged that I was entering in the incorrect expiration date on my card.  Not possible.  

35 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

What's the irony I'm missing here? Just because he'd be going back to Germany?

probably has to do with the player development partnership FC Dallas has with Bayern.  the relationship started in 2018.  FC Dallas has sent promising players to Bayern to train for a few weeks.  this started after McKennie had already left the FC Dallas academy for Germany.  so it would be funny if FC Dallas's best known academy product ended up at Bayern.  not sure if it's ironic.  i may need to ask Alanis.

https://www.fcdallas.com/news/fc-bayern-and-fc-dallas-announce-landmark-player-development-partnership

The Texas-based team sent their youngest player signing, 16-year-old forward, Bryan Reynolds, who also represents the U.S. at international level (U-17) along with 17-year-old Paxton Pomykal who became FC Dallas’ youngest-ever starter in March. The midfielder also represents the U.S. U-18 National Team. In addition, 19-year-old defender, Reggie Cannon who made his first team debut last year (February) attended the 10-day training experience.

https://ussoccerplayers.com/2021/01/the-uniqueness-of-the-fc-dallas-and-bayern-munich-relationship.html

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

probably has to do with the player development partnership FC Dallas has with Bayern.  the relationship started in 2018.  FC Dallas has sent promising players to Bayern to train for a few weeks.  this started after McKennie had already left the FC Dallas academy for Germany.  so it would be funny if FC Dallas's best known academy product ended up at Bayern.  not sure if it's ironic.  i may need to ask Alanis.

https://www.fcdallas.com/news/fc-bayern-and-fc-dallas-announce-landmark-player-development-partnership

The Texas-based team sent their youngest player signing, 16-year-old forward, Bryan Reynolds, who also represents the U.S. at international level (U-17) along with 17-year-old Paxton Pomykal who became FC Dallas’ youngest-ever starter in March. The midfielder also represents the U.S. U-18 National Team. In addition, 19-year-old defender, Reggie Cannon who made his first team debut last year (February) attended the 10-day training experience.

https://ussoccerplayers.com/2021/01/the-uniqueness-of-the-fc-dallas-and-bayern-munich-relationship.html

Yep that is it.

Also if anyone didn't get any tix for Austin and is looking I know some of our group and the Sammers have a few extras so dm me if you need one. 

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

According to his IG, he's fully vaccinated and is showing no symptoms. Hopefully that means he's well and will still make the qualifiers. 

That's my main worry - him missing qualifiers. We are 13 days from our first (Sept 2), what are the protocols/time tables for him?

Probably unlikely he'll be called in for the first round of WCQ.

Konrad most certainly needs to be called in for WCQ.

Yunus seems to be resuming training. We want mUSAh!

Matt Miazga will be playing in La Liga this season.

Aaronson (Brenden) the Elder's numbers

Owen Otasowie to Club Brugge. Hope to see him in WCQ...maybe next calendar year?

Between Bayern Munich and Tottenham at the moment for Weston McKennie should Juventus choose to be sellers.

Captain America won't be stopped by COVID. Officially from his Instagram page. And on another note, glad he's fully vaccinated.

We have had UCL players before Pulisic, and Pulisic has proven we can feature and be a match winner in the UCL.  So now it's about personal glory and WM has plenty of runway for that.  I want him where he is first 11 in a big 5 side that is competitive for honors.  Going to Spurs if he doesn't play doesn't help the nats at all.  He's one of our top 5 players right now, he has to feature.

No more hating on Antonee!

Benny Feilhaber will always have a free pass with me!

Benny Feilhaber's famous goal (en Espanol)

The full highlights of that 2007 Gold Cup Final. Still makes my eyes dusty and gives me goosebumps to this day.

We are a nation of right backs and right backs only!

This match apparently got suspended because of CONCACAF-type shenanigans.

Gio Reyna likes wraps, not baguettes.

Tactical Manager is resuming his USMNT Abroad series on YouTube. Aside from the writers of American Soccer Now (www.americansoccernow.com), this is a pretty detailed reporting of our Yanks overseas. Plus I find "Pedro Parker" to be hilarious.

And lastly, we should probably fight Portugal tooth and nail for this kid.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

It's really difficult to think of a more impressive goal than Benny's considering the difficulty and context of the goal. That was when I was first getting into soccer and went to watch the game at Mother Egan's with about 3 or 4 people in the whole bar. Bet it would be way different today sans pandemic. 

On 8/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, Trey3216 said:

btw, did anyone else have a shitshow of a time trying to pay for their WCQ tix?  It took about 30 times and I had to write a check from myself to myself at a different bank account for the payment to go through.  Completely idiotic.   My bank kept getting flagged that I was entering in the incorrect expiration date on my card.  Not possible.  

Was it ticketmaster?

I didn't buy through there but when I was selling an extra for the Qatar game and tried to setup my bank account to receive payment for a sold ticket, it kept telling me the routing numbers were incorrect for my bank account, which they weren't. Eventually I got it to work when I used my computer instead of phone but it was maddening.

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

Was it ticketmaster?

I didn't buy through there but when I was selling an extra for the Qatar game and tried to setup my bank account to receive payment for a sold ticket, it kept telling me the routing numbers were incorrect for my bank account, which they weren't. Eventually I got it to work when I used my computer instead of phone but it was maddening.

Naturally   

39 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Norwich City knows that Sargent is their only chance at avoiding relegation.

You may be being facetious but has Puuki really fallen off that hard? Or did he just pick up a knock. 

Edited by ztejas

This is interesting. But Alexi Lalas is still a schmuck.

This happened at Konrad's last match. Did a bunch of Mexican fans make it out to Nice?

Sebastian Soto starting off nicely for Porto B in the Portuguese Second Division. Maybe he eventually works himself back into the winger-forward conversation.