Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

I just can’t with Jerruh. Damn.

At Wednesday’s press conference, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said that “if anyone has ever taken advantage of me financially, I’m proud it’s the one next to me” in reference to Prescott. He also noted that people said similar things when he bought the Cowboys and that’s worked out pretty well for him.

“The truth is most anything that I’ve ever been involved in that ended up being special, I overpaid for, every time, to the end,” Jones said. “Anytime I’ve tried to get a bargain, I got just that, it was a bargain in a lot of ways and not up to standard.”

4 Picks in the Top 100.  6 in the Top 150.  They have ammunition to move up in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd if needed, or to flat trade middle round picks for legit players that are proven(like Robert Quinn).  Should be able to attack the defense real well.

Cowboys are winning the division next year without question.  They'll also be more of contender than last year made us believe.  If the defense plays close to what it did in the last 6-8 games, they'll be in much better shape with Dak and the OL solidifying.

It’s like Drew hasn’t followed this team for the last 25 years. Have we ever actually won the division when we’re expected to win the division? 2007 was the last time that happened, right? Every time we win the division, we have little to no expectations. We don’t do shit when we have expectations.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I think Drew is right. We just need 9 good defensive starters to sign for the vet minimum, Tyron Smith to roll back the clock 5 years, and Connor Williams to go from scrub to Pro Bowler and Dallas will be in good shape. 

They don't need 9.  They literally played DECENT Defense in the last 6-8 games.  They realistically need a couple positions and depth filled.  Not 9.  Jesus Christ.

Also, the OL actually started playing ok as the season went on too.  You don't have to have All Pro Tyron Smith, just him as he is today.

17 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Cowboys are actually paying Dak $75 million to play for them in 2021

No, the Cowboys are only committed to pay him 22.5 this year. That's it.  

Fans and the team should not care about any of the rest.  That's Jerry's pocket money.

Guys, ya'll should ONLY be worried about the Cap impact of Dak.  And as I've been preaching for 2 years, his contract will NOT hurt the Cowboys in any way.  As a matter of fact it HELPED the Cowboys this year, and won't hurt them much next year...and then the new TV money hits and the cap will raise significantly.  And by then Dak will be a bargain.

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s like Drew hasn’t followed this team for the last 25 years. Have we ever actually won the division when we’re expected to win the division? 2007 was the last time that happened, right? Every time we win the division, we have little to no expectations. We don’t do shit when we have expectations.

I'm not aware of anyone thinking they're going to win this year.  I mean just look in this thread.  You guys think they still suck, will always suck, and they're in a FULL on REBUILD mode, even though this is the NFL and teams go from worst to first every year.

I believe the Cowboys will run away with the division next year.  That's ME.  Not anyone else.  Just like they would have won it by 2 games last year with a Healthy Dak.  Same defense, same OL, they win at least 3(First Washington game/Eagles first game/Pittsburgh/NYG) more games, maybe 4.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dallas is set up to win their division for awhile unless they completely fuck it up. They easily have the best QB. Daniel Jones is still highly erratic and meh. Hurts is not good yet. Who the hell knows what Washington will roll out. 

They have to hit on these draft picks this year. They have top 10 slots and compensatory picks to work with.

• Hook 'Em 1

@Drew we’re -110 favorites to win the  division next year. Nobody else has better than +300 odds. We’re the overwhelming favorites to win the worst division in football because of our qb advantage. But again, we haven’t won the division when we were supposed to win the division since 2007. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

So that $66M signing bonus is just Schrute bucks?

Pretty sure only 22.5 mil goes against the salary cap this year. That’s what drew and Vic were struggling to articulate. The signing bonus doesn’t go against the cap if I’m not mistaken. The 22.5 mil against the cap this year is accurate though. 

38 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Pretty sure only 22.5 mil goes against the salary cap this year. That’s what drew and Vic were struggling to articulate. The signing bonus doesn’t go against the cap if I’m not mistaken. The 22.5 mil against the cap this year is accurate though. 

I understand that but do Vic and Drew?  For that matter, do you? Of course the signing bonus counts against the cap.  Just not all in the year it’s paid. 

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I understand that but do Vic and Drew?  For that matter, do you? Of course the signing bonus counts against the cap.  Just not all in the year it’s paid. 

I definitely don’t understand. I’ll admit to that. I just know that 22.5mil is all that he counts against the cap for the 2021-2022 season. I don’t understand the NFL salary cap like I understand the NBA salary cap.

53 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I definitely don’t understand. I’ll admit to that. I just know that 22.5mil is all that he counts against the cap for the 2021-2022 season. I don’t understand the NFL salary cap like I understand the NBA salary cap.

Next year Dak's base salary will be somewhere around $9 million, all of which counts towards next year's cap.  The $66 million bonus gets prorated over the length of the contract as far as how it's applied to the cap.  Although Dak's contract is 4 years the Cowboys added 2 more voidable years to his contract. So in terms of how it will affect the Cowboys cap it is a 6 year contract. Now NFL rules only allow you to prorated a bonus for 5 years so that $66 million is going to count an additional $13.2 million (66/5) on top of his base salary towards the cap each year of that 5 year period. 

So $9million (base salary) + $13.2 million (signing bonus proration) is where Dak's $22.2 million dollar salary cap figure for next year is coming from.  I honestly don't know why Dak's cap figure is getting quoted as $22.5mm in some places and $22.2mm in others. 

Now that extra 6th voidable year is most likely there to allow the Cowboys to turn base salary in a given year into bonus money one more time during his contract and prorate that bonus money again. 2022 will probably be the most likely year for this scenario to happen because although the cap will shoot up that season it probably won't explode as much as it will in the following seasons to help cover pandemic losses from this past year.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

They win it easily last year if Dak doesn't detach his ankle from his body. 

Well, they were 1-3 with Dak.  They were really a miracle on-side kick recovery away from being 0-4 and could have very easily been 0-5 if the Giants didn't make huge mistakes towards the end of the game.  Maybe we should all tap the breaks on winning the division easily. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

Well, they were 1-3 with Dak.  They were really a miracle on-side kick recovery away from being 0-4 and could have very easily been 0-5 if the Giants didn't make huge mistakes towards the end of the game.  Maybe we should all tap the breaks on winning the division easily. 

lol, how many points did the defense give up in those games? The defense improved considerably in the second half of the season and they only finished one game back. 

If you think they don't win the worst division in the last 20 years with Dak, you're clearly being a futureman. 

14 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

lol, how many points did the defense give up in those games? The defense improved considerably in the second half of the season and they only finished one game back. 

If you think they don't win the worst division in the last 20 years with Dak, you're clearly being a futureman. 

I think what he’s really saying is if it isn’t Dak, it’ll be something else. Maybe both tackles get hurt again. Maybe Dak isn’t quite himself. Maybe Washington drafts or signs a competent qb. Washington is a competent qb away from being a good deal better than us. Better coaching, better oline, better rb, better on every level of the defense. If they trade up and draft Trey Lance or Justin fields, and they happen to be good, they’re better than us right away. There’s a reason we are better than even money favorites, don’t get me wrong. But let’s not pretend like we haven’t been locks to win the division before in the last 25 years. We don’t handle expectations well at all. 

What I am saying is that Dak was not the problem. Your argument is that if Dak was there, they easily win 7 more games. My argument is that the team is poorly constructed and poorly coached and still would have sucked if Dak had stayed healthy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

What I am saying is that Dak was not the problem. Your argument is that if Dak was there, they easily win 7 more games. My argument is that the team is poorly constructed and poorly coached and still would have sucked if Dak had stayed healthy.

They easily win the division and at least have a chance if Dak finishes the season.The team is poorly constructed on defense for sure. The offense is good enough, though. Defense and special teams fucks this team so often dating back forever now. Offense will throw duds here and there like any other offense. But the difference in us and the real contenders is we don't have a unit that can step up and help the offense when it is down with any consistency. The offense will be blamed in losses where they score 30 or more. This team has no idea how to win if the offense is not going off.

3 hours ago, Hate said:

They almost won the division with fucking Andy Dalton, with shitty coaching and poor construction of the team.

Only Fisterman's poor anus would think Dak wasn't good for at least 2 more wins.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

with kansas taking a rona-dump i have bandwidth tonight to check in here and half the people in this thread have gone full aggy

never go full aggy

They should have been 0-4 with a healthy Dak.  It was not Dak's fault that the defense was horrible.  Nobody would have been able to overcome how bad the defense was.  Your assumption that Dak was enough to get them another 7 wins is absolutely ridiculous when there is ample evidence the team was overall too bad for anyone to overcome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

At least. Steelers were playing like shit and practically begging to lose. 

I imagine the Steelers thought they could sleep walk in that game considering we just trotted out Nooch. But you might be right. I kinda forgot about that game and how it played out. But I assume they’re gonna be a little more hyped up knowing they’re playing Dak, as opposed to a GG who played above his head for 3 quarters 

29 minutes ago, Hate said:

They should have been 0-4 with a healthy Dak.  It was not Dak's fault that the defense was horrible.  Nobody would have been able to overcome how bad the defense was.  Your assumption that Dak was enough to get them another 7 wins is absolutely ridiculous when there is ample evidence the team was overall too bad for anyone to overcome. 

Stop focusing on the first 4 games when the defense was historically shitastic. It got better in the second half and was certainly good enough to win 2 more games. Not only that, a good offense can help the defense. 

And where did I say Dak would have gotten 7 more wins? I said at least 2 more to win the division, probably 2-4. The beginning schedule was pretty brutal for a team with an entirely new coaching staff and covid limiting activities. 

You point to the first 4 games that were pretty brutal trying to break in a new oline as some sort of ceiling if Dak hadn't gotten injured. When it fact it was pretty much guaranteed to be the worst stretch for the team. The oline got better as the season progressed. Dak would've gotten more comfortable as well. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

You can make almost as easy of an argument for them being 3-1

5 hours ago, Hate said:

The offense was absolutely atrocious for weeks following Dak's injury. After averaging 33 points with Dak at the helm we failed to eclipse 10 points in each of the next 3 games. And only scored 2 total touchdowns in the 4 games following Dak's injury.  

13 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

when you type stuff like this I really can’t tell if you are truly this unbelievably stupid and sad or if you are simply trying to be provocative. surely you don’t believe this. 

There are 3 corners at the top of everyone’s draft board. Surtain, Farley, and horn. You just know two of them are going to be really good and one of them is going to be a flat out bust. We’re going to get the first crack at taking one of them and we’re going to pick the bust. Bet every dollar you have on that.