Vic Mackey

37 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Big board for Cowboys:

1.  Sewell OT Oregon
  2. Chase WR LSU
  3. Pitts WR/TE Florida 
  4. Surtain II CB Alabama 
  5. Slater OL Northwestern 

Just can't justify Cowboys taking a WR or TE at the #10 slot -- if their guy on defense or OL is not there Dallas should trade down.

Edited by LTtxfan

We're in a position to take the best front 7 defender in this draft, whoever that is. I dont give a rats ass about "value" or mock draft positions. Maybe its a weak year up front but you arent gonna tell me there isnt a single impact defensive lineman in this draft. Find him and draft him. Im sick of defensive backs on their rookie contracts playing behind a junkbin defensive line. Thats why the defense always sucks. It wont get better continuing to build using the same loser formula. 

3 hours ago, cmontexas said:

We're in a position to take the best front 7 defender in this draft, whoever that is. I dont give a rats ass about "value" or mock draft positions. Maybe its a weak year up front but you arent gonna tell me there isnt a single impact defensive lineman in this draft. Find him and draft him. Im sick of defensive backs on their rookie contracts playing behind a junkbin defensive line. Thats why the defense always sucks. It wont get better continuing to build using the same loser formula. 

Tell us who that person is. Go ahead, call your shot. Because last year it was easy. You could’ve said chase young just like everyone else and you’d he right. There is no defensive lineman that you could take at 10 that wouldn’t be a massive reach. Not a single one. 

46 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Tell us who that person is. Go ahead, call your shot. Because last year it was easy. You could’ve said chase young just like everyone else and you’d he right. There is no defensive lineman that you could take at 10 that wouldn’t be a massive reach. Not a single one. 

what about the miami kid. not chase young but still good, no?

20 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Big board for Cowboys:

1. Sewell OT Oregon

2. Chase WR LSU

3. Pitts WR/TE Florida 

4. Surtain II CB Alabama 

5. Slater OL Northwestern 

Who's big board?

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not that mcshay is necessarily worth a shit with any given pick but his current mock has surtain going 9 and Dallas taking the next cb, from uscar I think or maybe va tech. 

His mock is sort of silly.  No Fields or either OT in the top 10?  If Surtain is gone, that makes it easy and we should be taking Sewell or Slater.  Or trading down a couple spots to a team who wants Fields like New England.

Does anyone remember K'lavon Chaisson the defensive end out of LSU last year? He was the #1 guy mocked to the Cowboys last April. He got selected 20th overall and he played in 16 games and had 12 solo tackles and 1 sack. A non-factor for the Jags- the worst team in football. Going 100% need usually sucks. 

See a decent amount of bitching about using up a ton of resources on OL in the past but in 2016 we had the best OL in football and went 13-3. They just started getting old and injured. Bucs drafted a LT 13th overall last year and he played a big role in their SB run. Hard to go wrong with drafting guys that can dominate up front whether it be it be defense or offense.

If Fletcher Cox or someone of that talent level was sitting at 10 that would be the pick but doesn't appear there is that guy this year. Drafting a 1 year wonder is usually how you get guys like Chaisson. 

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Elite guards are still difference makers though. Not finding a Quinton Nelson or Zach Martin in the 3rd round.

Nope, but you find a lot of other good guys who can fill that spot just fine, and you have a bonus of far harder to get starters with the earlier pick.

I'm all about a good OL, but if you look at all of the teams that go deep in the playoffs you'll see a lot of cheap free agent OL that were bounced from other teams in the starting lineups. Dallas had more invested in their OL than any other team over the last decade, and it resulted in very little success. One guy goes out and the whole thing crumbles. Put together a more cohesive lineup that's cheaper and can be kept intact longer before you have to start paying them all elite salaries, then you can allocate more money to key positions. Guards are among the cheapest and deepest spots to fill.

19 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Does anyone remember K'lavon Chaisson the defensive end out of LSU last year? He was the #1 guy mocked to the Cowboys last April. He got selected 20th overall and he played in 16 games and had 12 solo tackles and 1 sack. A non-factor for the Jags- the worst team in football. Going 100% need usually sucks. 

See a decent amount of bitching about using up a ton of resources on OL in the past but in 2016 we had the best OL in football and went 13-3. They just started getting old and injured. Bucs drafted a LT 13th overall last year and he played a big role in their SB run. Hard to go wrong with drafting guys that can dominate up front whether it be it be defense or offense.

If Fletcher Cox or someone of that talent level was sitting at 10 that would be the pick but doesn't appear there is that guy this year. Drafting a 1 year wonder is usually how you get guys like Chaisson. 

Chaisson was very high on the Cowboys board and probably would have been the pick if Lamb hadn't fallen in our laps.  Cowboys have really gotten very lucky when it comes to fucking up a number of high impactful picks (Osweiler over Dak), so it's not out of the realm that we really fuck this up.  But it seems easy...... OT or Surtain, if those 3 picked then Pitts, unless we're totally blown away by an offer from a team trying to get the last QB.  

On 4/3/2021 at 6:44 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Barmore

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

Barmore

You can’t take Baramore at 10. If you can’t trade back that’s just way too high for a fringe 1st rd prospect. Every draft there’s only like 15-20 guys that are legitimate first round prospects. If you’re drafting at 10 you have to take one of those guys. Surtain, and slater are those guys. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Carolina giving up those picks for darnold means it would be dumb for them to take a qb at 10. They were one of the teams in the mix for a qb. I bet they end up taking Surtain. 

Unless Fields drops to them, gotta think they take Pitts or a OT.  Feels like 5 and 7 are prime trade spots, maybe ATL but that could just be smoke.  Pitts is being mocked a lot at 4 or 5.  Just seems like we're destined for Surtain or one of the OT's.  We'd be reaching a little otherwise.  Horn is good but not sure I would want him over the other 10.  The darkhorse situation is if a QB suddenly drops for some reason, but they we could trade down. 

Just take the BPA in the top 10.  Everytime we draft for need in the top 10 we end up getting shitty value (Elliott, Claiborne, Williams vs Tyronn and Newman) as much as we get hit.  If it's a QB or Chase, then trade down or trade a player.

As much as I respect the great Terence Newman and Morris Claiborne feel like I would rather go OT if Slater or Sewell are available. Just feel like OL guys live up to their value more often are are generally more impactful 1st rounders. Influence both the pass/run versus maybe 30% of the snaps on their side of the ball of a good CB. If the talent grade is about equal that is. 

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

As much as I respect the great Terence Newman and Morris Claiborne feel like I would rather go OT if Slater or Sewell are available. Just feel like OL guys live up to their value more often are are generally more impactful 1st rounders. Influence both the pass/run versus maybe 30% of the snaps on their side of the ball of a good CB. If the talent grade is about equal that is. 

I think in today's league drafting a cb in the first round is about like drafting a running back.

A. The current rules limit how much of an impact they can really have on games

B. Serviceable ones can be found cheaply 

C. Even if you draft a good one, the 2nd contract is probably going to be debateable as to how much money you want to spend on that position. The Cowboys punted on resigning Jones or Awuzie

11 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I think in today's league drafting a cb in the first round is about like drafting a running back.

A. The current rules limit how much of an impact they can really have on games

B. Serviceable ones can be found cheaply 

C. Even if you draft a good one, the 2nd contract is probably going to be debateable as to how much money you want to spend on that position. The Cowboys punted on resigning Jones or Awuzie

This is just a bad take for so many different reasons...

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Okay drew. 

you know, I’ve been insulted quite a bit on this website. most people do not like me. there’s one poster who literally carves out two hours of his sad and lonely life every couple weeks to neg me 200x in a row. but this drew crap is over the line you piece of shit. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is just a bad take for so many different reasons...

It isn't totally bad. The really good corners are hard to get and using high picks on them is warranted. You can get serviceable corners later, but you better draft several in order to hope to hit on one. Otherwise, great corners turn to mediocre or worse corners really quick if you have a shitty front 7, especially d-line and edge rushers, which should take priority in most cases.

8 minutes ago, DougO said:

It isn't totally bad. The really good corners are hard to get and using high picks on them is warranted. You can get serviceable corners later, but you better draft several in order to hope to hit on one. Otherwise, great corners turn to mediocre or worse corners really quick if you have a shitty front 7, especially d-line and edge rushers, which should take priority in most cases.

Honestly I was mainly talking about his first sentence. Most good corners are found in the top 100 picks. Rb is arguably the most replaceable position in football outside of maybe LB. But other than that I agree with most of what you said. 

We need to draft Tyron Smiths replacement, dude is great, but he is 67 years old and time is up.  Next anyone on the D line. the WFT scored 9 points a game and their def won it all for them.  All the best Cb's in the world arent worth a shit when NFL qb's have 14 seconds to pass

Love Tyron, but his misses games in the season more often than not, hasn't played a full schedule since 2015. He's under control for a few years, but could draw good trade value if the Cowboys could find his replacement. Otherwise, I do believe he could move to guard if needed and do quite well, or flip to the other side if Collins has issues. It's tough to pass on a potentially elite left tackle if there is one at 10.

Tyron has missed 26 games in five years. People were wondering if his career was over five months ago.  Lael Collins just had hip surgery.

Drafting a tackle at 10 makes sense. Surtain at 10 makes sense. Trading down makes sense.  Every other route has me worried.

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We need to draft Tyron Smiths replacement, dude is great, but he is 67 years old and time is up.  Next anyone on the D line. the WFT scored 9 points a game and their def won it all for them.  All the best Cb's in the world arent worth a shit when NFL qb's have 14 seconds to pass

What Dallas needs to realize is you don't need to go all out and draft OL very high. They went all in last decade and used tons of draft capital and then salary cap capital to try and replicate their OL from the glory days. But that OL was nowhere near built how they did it here. We don't need all these 1st round picks across the board. At one point, we were far and away the #1 team who spent the most percentage of the cap on the OL. And it blew up in their face. Tyron is breaking down and misses games every year. Frederick is retired. Zach Martin now gets hurt.

2016 was really the only year we got the most out of that until from start to finish.