2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

I’ve got to agree with some of the backlash about this card and Adesanya. Since the Interim Gastellum and Whitaker Title shot that’s 5 out of 6 decisions, with three of those being boring (loss to Blachowics).

The next fight sets up nicely, but honestly, there’s even more reason for Adesanya to be cautious against his old kick boxing nemesis. I don’t blame him, he’s a genius when it comes to fighting, but that’s not necessarily enough to be crowned.

The trilogy was lopsided.

Thank goodness for the Lawler/Barberena fight, was that fight bumped up to the main?

The ‘eye poke’.

I missed the prelim main event choke out channel flipping it happened so fast.

And The Cowboy has been collecting retirement checks for far too long.

And also my brother surprised me with his family and they ate all my Dominos!

Adesanya is a great fighter obviously, but i will never root for him because I think he is cringey as fuck and his shit talk is dorky as hell.

I mean he used a Frozen reference last night that not even a corny ass rapper would use.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/3/2022 at 12:12 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

I really don't enjoy Adesanya fights anymore.  I mean, i get it...he's really freaking good and makes full use of his advantages...but his fights aren't fun to watch at all. Khabib was able to dominate as well but it was still entertaining IMO

Yeah I don't have any problem with the guy other than I don't like watching his fights. I gave him credit for trying to move up and generally he's cringy but not an unlikable mook like a Strickland or Covington. 

I really hope Volkanovski moves up to 155. Him against any of those top guys would be fantastic to see what happens, and Volkanovski gets in and mixes it up. I think Charles O is too much for him to handle but Volkanovski vs Porier, Gaethje, or Chandler would be must see. 

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] any comments on Ortega's shoulder? Was there something wrong in his technique?

Not that I could see. “Starting the lawnmower” is an effective way to escape an arm bar that isn’t sunk yet. He mentioned in the post fight that he had surgery on both shoulders already. I assume he had lost stability because of previous injuries and that’s why it popped so easily.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hate that they're feeding him to Khamzat. He didn't even want it. 

After Khamzat vs Burns I'll at least be a bit excited about Khamzat being willing to stand and trade. He seemed to make a point about that against Gilbert, but I don't think Nate can handle that kinda ruggedness. Obvs if it gets to the ground Nate will get bullied. 

Win-win-win for everybody.  For headlining a numbered card, these guys are prob getting PPV pay, even though neither are chanpiom  

Its going to sell like hotcakes for UFC. 

For Nate its a big final payday, or the setup for the next even bigger payday. 

For Khamzat its the main event shine (even though hes already popular), a notable win over a renowned “striker”, and lines him up for the WW title shot (as Usman/Edwards will have been decided at the preceding event)

• Hook 'Em 1

Is Colby still in recovery or is he shopping a fight? He's another guy I feel like UFC gives a pass. His last 5 wins, dating back 5 years, are a bunch of guys from the old guard, Maia, Dos Anjos, Lawler, Masvidal, Woodley. It's a whole new world in the Top 10 and yet some dudes kinda wiggle their way through the traffic.