All Encompassing Mortgage and Real Estate Thread

UTPhil2006

VERY good open house today at this listing.  80 year old couple came in.  They had owned a sailboat in that harbor for 35 years but got too old to sail, but they miss the harbor, their friends, the restaurants and bars, etc.  They are seriously considering having me sell their amazing home that's 10 miles inland, and buying this condo at the harbor.  Hello $ 60,000 in commissions!

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Closed on the new build last week.  Props to Thad and @UTPhil2006 for all the help.

No props to the lazy builder.  

If I had a dollar for every time a builder took a month+ longer than anticipated I'd have a good amount of dollars.  Glad it all worked out in the end!  Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

It's not so much the delay, it is the lack of sub supervision I'm disappointed with.  

Could be difficult, depending on the issue.  I hired a contractor to do a massive renovation + expansion on an old house I owned, and one of his subs went rogue, unbeknownst to either of us.  Certain items we needed, like tile, plumbing components, etc. were magically available through the sub at reduced cost.  We should have smelled a rat.  Ultimately we figured out WE were short some things we had purchased, because I handled most of the purchasing and some things never added up.

At the end of the day, the sub went to prison.  The contractor was totally absolved.

This was fairly minor stuff mostly on a craftsmanship level.  When we walked through for the last few walk throughs and to Blue tape it we felt as though most of the items should have been completed long before that time.  We had addressed them multiple times.  

The painter and trim guy sucked.  It was almost as thought he was trying to see what he could get by us that we wouldn't complain about.  

On 12/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'd take the beaches on the Florida gulf over SoCal beaches any day.  Well, I would if I could get rid of the rednecks.

I spent a week on Delray Beach, and enjoyed it a lot.  But, if you are telling me that some gulf beach in better than Laguna, or Santa Barbara, or PB, or Oceanside, or Malibu (etc)  in July-September, I'm gonna say you're either dumb or lying.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I spent a week on Delray Beach, and enjoyed it a lot.  But, if you are telling me that some gulf beach in better than Laguna, or Santa Barbara, or PB, or Oceanside, or Malibu (etc)  in July-September, I'm gonna say you're either dumb or lying.

Delray Beach isn't the Florida gulf coast.  The beaches on the gulf coast have beautiful sand and warm water.  The Atlantic beaches don't really meet that standard, and while SoCal beaches might be aesthetically pleasing, the water is really cold.

Differences exist.  Choose your poison, I really don't care.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Delray Beach isn't the Florida gulf coast.  The beaches on the gulf coast have beautiful sand and warm water.  The Atlantic beaches don't really meet that standard, and while SoCal beaches might be aesthetically pleasing, the water is really cold.

Differences exist.  Choose your poison, I really don't care.

I'm aware where Delray is located.  I was simply saying that FL does indeed have nice beaches. I've driven the gulf coast, and the water looked pretty shitty and brown to me.

10 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm aware where Delray is located.  I was simply saying that FL does indeed have nice beaches. I've driven the gulf coast, and the water looked pretty shitty and brown to me.

Well, that would be an unusual take on the general area, because it's pretty widely considered to have some of the best beaches in the country.  Cali on, my dude.

EDIT: before anyone gets pissy, I'm not including Hawaii in that assessment.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Mid-spring and sometimes in the summer you'll have algae blooms that make the beach less desirable. Even so, I don't mind it.Move a bit down the beach and it gets better. b0a1bdd4d716abc6d7fa447642c75b1e.jpg
454fb0cc3e914592b97e0199273b7c50.jpg

49 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Up about .08 yesterday and already .11 today. Thanks a lot Japan

48 out of 48 Japan watchers were surprised by this/ nobody had 50 bips. 
this is what happens to world markets when someone runs a Jap play

MBS were 50 points worse to start the day and rallied to down 20- so there’s that for somewhat good news. 

23 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

48 out of 48 Japan watchers were surprised by this/ nobody had 50 bips. 
this is what happens to world markets when someone runs a Jap play

MBS were 50 points worse to start the day and rallied to down 20- so there’s that for somewhat good news. 

I think I got your Bill Parcells reference there?

The million dollar question: when can I refinance back down to 3% at least interest rate?

43 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I think I got your Bill Parcells reference there?

The million dollar question: when can I refinance back down to 3% at least interest rate?

3 as the first number in your rate may be by the end of next year.  I'm hoping to get to the 4.xx's sooner rather than later as a happy medium.

13 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Would it be fair to set my sights on next summer to be an optimal time to refinance then? Obviously nobody has a crystal ball...

Yeah as early as spring, summer more likely.  Just poke your nose in this thread every few weeks, we keep it updated pretty regularly on what's going on and approx where rates are at.  They're in the upper 5's now so we have some movement to go, but I suspect once the calendar turns over things will start looking better going forward

• Like 1

How’s this for a Xmas miracle:

father and his daughter both living together in the house 

580 credit score 

Daughter has been on her new job for 2 weeks, after being out of work for 5+ months  

DTI of 55%
100% financing 

$11,000 in closing cost contribution 

they are bringing $3500 to closing. 
they have a $5,000 budget for handymen/repairmen to come fix up some stuff in the house that’s cosmetic or taste more than anything 

House appraises for 267k they bought for 260k and they got the aforementioned CC and contingency account from the sellers. 

Ho Ho Ho- Merry Xmas!  That’s a pretty big Xmas miracle if ever there was one. 

If I was feeling like Scrooge I’d point out that we made less than 1% and worked hard for 60 days on the file, but we had the time available to do it I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

China’s reversal on zero Covid policy. Increased use of fuel by population. Increased demand. All inflationary 

Yep.  And last week the 1.7Trillion spending program on the way out of congress for the year was a ass fucking for the market as well.  I thought that was done.  My partner told me I was an idiot for thinking that wouldn't happen on the way out of this congress.  You were right @Scipio