Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

9 hours ago, dec3169 said:

I saw a stat on the LHN crawl earlier today that said this is the first Longhorn team since 2009 that has held an opposing team under 100 rushing yards 4 weeks in a row.  Yeah - they suck.

Nobody is questioning the defense vs the run. Texas probably has the best DT duo in the nation. People are questioning the secondary and the general lack of cohesion in pass defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I feel bad about still having anger for Gideon dropping the INT in 2008 Tech game. He didn't lose the game - Mack and GDD did that - but he woulda coulda and shulda won it for us, and failed to do so.

Well, that and then intercepting the Bama fake punt pass when letting it hit the turf woulda coulda shoulda given us thirty or so yards better field position.

Somehow, those two things lead me to feel uneasy about his abilities at coaching any dbacks.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I feel bad about still having anger for Gideon dropping the INT in 2008 Tech game. He didn't lose the game - Mack and GDD did that - but he woulda coulda and shulda won it for us, and failed to do so.

Well, that and then intercepting the Bama fake punt pass when letting it hit the turf woulda coulda shoulda given us thirty or so yards better field position.

Somehow, those two things lead me to feel uneasy about his abilities at coaching any dbacks.

I don't feel bad about still having this anger.  Gideon cost us 2 national titles. Colt doesn't get injured if we aren't having to make up that extra 30 yards in lost field position.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Because nothing would be more Texas than finally getting the edge position in a healthy spot only to immediately switch to a 3-3-5.

I dont think that is where Sark wants to go. He consistently talks about press coverage and getting to the QB. I know that isnt always apparent on game day. If there was a DC that would make Sark think about making a move I would guess it would be Aranda. I doubt even that would spur him into action. Not to say you cant get a aggressive in the 3-3-5. I wouldnt mind if Sark to a look at Corey Raymond, who may start looking around given the situation at Florida

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Could someone explain how things work when you have a passing game coordinator that isn't the DC?  Is PK only calling what the front 6/7 are doing on a given play and the secondary is instructed by Joseph?  If PK calls for a blitzing LB is it up to Joseph to set the coverage based off of that?  

14 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

What might be more interesting is that Boise St just fired Andy Avalos.  I wonder if PK or Choate would be interested there.  Actually, also could just bring Harsin back in.  That’s convenient 

Hasnt he coached mostly DL and LBs? 

25 minutes ago, gurt said:

Could someone explain how things work when you have a passing game coordinator that isn't the DC?  Is PK only calling what the front 6/7 are doing on a given play and the secondary is instructed by Joseph?  If PK calls for a blitzing LB is it up to Joseph to set the coverage based off of that?  

It's just a title for pay

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's just a title for pay

Correct. No different than Chris Jackson being the “passing game coordinator” on offense.

I don’t know where the notion came from that we have two different playcallers on defense. The defensive coordinator calls the plays.

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Hasnt he coached mostly DL and LBs? 

Avalos or Choate? 
Yes. 

Wait wut

Choate coached at Boise St with PK (and Justin Wilcox) before going off to be a HC on his own. Wilcox moved on to Wisc, Tenn, then to Cal. PK went with Petersen to UW.  Aválos mostly came up after this group, under Harsin and was promoted when Harsin went to Auburn. 

interestingly enough, Wilcox was Sarks first DC at UW (and prior to Petersen/PK)

Correct. No different than Chris Jackson being the “passing game coordinator” on offense.
I don’t know where the notion came from that we have two different playcallers on defense. The defensive coordinator calls the plays.

Read up thread. Everyone that makes excuses for PK constantly say things like that. He doesn’t have anything to do with the secondary, things of that nature.

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Crap. Didn't even realize this until you posted it for the 12th time. It's really sunk in now.

Yeah that soft ass PK defense giving up 18 ppg really needs to be sorted out lol. The 2008 and 2009 defenses gave up 16 & 18 ppg with about double the depth chart talent as we have currently. If we could add orakpo, sergio kindle, or earl thomas to this roster it would almost solve our problems instantly. We can't so I'm content with stopping the run, stopping the big explosive plays, and winning ugly if need be. It is what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Yeah that soft ass PK defense giving up 18 ppg really needs to be sorted out lol. The 2008 and 2009 defenses gave up 16 & 18 ppg with about double the depth chart talent as we have currently. If we could add orakpo, sergio kindle, or earl thomas to this roster it would almost solve our problems instantly. We can't so I'm content with stopping the run, stopping the big explosive plays, and winning ugly if need be. It is what it is. 

There are levels here. Texas defense is not bad. It is good, but it does have a weakness in pass defense. Texas has not really faced many that can exploit that weakness.  4 of the 10 teams have played back-up QBs vs Texas.  While the Texas secondary is not loaded with talent, it is certainly better than the vast majority of Big 12 teams. I think it is completely fair to say the Texas pass defense is under-performing this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

There are levels here. Texas defense is not bad. It is good, but it does have a weakness in pass defense. Texas has not really faced many that can exploit that weakness.  4 of the 10 teams have played back-up QBs vs Texas.  While the Texas secondary is not loaded with talent, it is certainly better than the vast majority of Big 12 teams. I think it is completely fair to say the Texas pass defense is under-performing this year. 

yeah I agree that they could play better, and they have plenty of talent to be successful which I would argue they have been so far, albeit with a few black eyes. I think in PK's scheme not having a true pass rusher hurts a ton, burke is damn good but he's pretty banged up so when he needs a break we are kind of fucked. 

Just now, WinningIsHard said:

yeah I agree that they could play better, and they have plenty of talent to be successful which I would argue they have been so far, albeit with a few black eyes. I think in PK's scheme not having a true pass rusher hurts a ton, burke is damn good but he's pretty banged up so when he needs a break we are kind of fucked. 

We cant really blame the pass rush. Texas leads the Big 12 in sacks and pressures, so this secondary is getting more help than the rest of the Big 12. Its awesome when the pass rush is dominating like in the 1st half of the Baylor or TCU games, but that is not a real test of the back-end. 

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

We cant really blame the pass rush. Texas leads the Big 12 in sacks and pressures, so this secondary is getting more help than the rest of the Big 12. Its awesome when the pass rush is dominating like in the 1st half of the Baylor or TCU games, but that is not a real test of the back-end. 

The problem is no one in the secondary (or the linebackers) really seems to know what to do if they have to defend for 3+ seconds in a zone. We get lost and don't communicate. It seems to fundamentally be a teaching problem. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The problem is no one in the secondary (or the linebackers) really seems to know what to do if they have to defend for 3+ seconds in a zone. We get lost and don't communicate. It seems to fundamentally be a teaching problem. 

That is where I am. Just too many communication break downs. Watts get beat by speed down the field, that is likely a talent issue. Safety gets matched up and cooked, that is a speed issue. Guys defending grass and busting coverage, that is more a coaching issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

So fire Gideon and Joseph?

Not sure that would solve it.  It's not primarily a technique issue but a coordination issue.  It's going to be harder to solve than firing position coaches unless there's a guy available who has coordinator skills but hasn't been promoted yet.  Otherwise the DC has to be able to fix it.  

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not sure that would solve it.  It's not primarily a technique issue but a coordination issue.  It's going to be harder to solve than firing position coaches unless there's a guy available who has coordinator skills but hasn't been promoted yet.  Otherwise the DC has to be able to fix it.  

I just feel that having Gideon around is bad juju.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tell compliance to get bent, bring in Cory Raymond and move Joseph to safeties.

Raymond hasn't exactly covered himself in glory through 2 years at Florida. They might have the worst P5 pass defense in the country the last two years.

He was a great bagman at LSU and I don't have any doubt he can recruit, but is recruiting our issue right now in the secondary?

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Raymond hasn't exactly covered himself in glory through 2 years at Florida. They might have the worst P5 pass defense in the country the last two years.

He was a great bagman at LSU and I don't have any doubt he can recruit, but is recruiting our issue right now in the secondary?

That's because Florida's DC is ass. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jimmy Lake it is then!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's because Florida's DC is ass. 

Not disagreeing with that, but it feels like we are operating with a double standard here with that comment.

Florida's pass defense sucks and it is because of their DC, ours sucks and it's because of the position coaches. At a certain point the guy who calls and operates the defense needs to step in. If a coverage isn't being deployed or taught the way you want it, you are paid almost $2 million a year to correct it and make sure it is done to your satisfaction. There are only so many coverages you can run in football and I would hope all DB coaches at this level are familiar with them. This isn't like offense where there a million different directions you can go. 

I get certain coaches are comfortable together or complement each other well, but if you need a specific position coach to make your defense work you probably aren't a very good coordinator. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I even said in the game thread that we better not play back-ups and go for the kill. This is my biggest criticism of PK. Stop doing this in games when we clearly have a habit of blowing leads.

You don’t blow teams out scoring 29.

Was there more than one replay? The only one I saw was nothing.

As I mentioned elsewhere, unless they get updated, Sweat and Murphy played their most numbers of snaps and highest snap percentage to date. Maybe as it cools they can stretch it out.

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You don’t blow teams out scoring 29.

And TOP also flipped in the 2nd half because we were playing back-ups. More possessions = more points. Not to mention TCU's QB was prone to turnovers when the starters were playing and being aggressive. 

The offense needs to do better but I don't think this is a good argument. You score more points by forcing turnovers with your starters and giving your offense more possessions. 

And TOP also flipped in the 2nd half because we were playing back-ups. More possessions = more points. Not to mention TCU's QB was prone to turnovers when the starters were playing and being aggressive. 
The offense needs to do better but I don't think this is a good argument. You score more points by forcing turnovers with your starters and giving your offense more possessions. 

It’s certainly not the singular reason, but our offense did not keep the pressure on. Let’s not forget special teams made mistakes too.

Same thing versus KSU when we had what 16/17 possessions. Yes, I’d like the defense to shut them down. I’d also like the offense to convert more than the occasional 3rd down. And score 7 in the 2nd half (I guess the 5 yard possession vs KSU counts).

In your opinion what is a reasonable snap distribution?

All players and all units need to pick it up. But we won.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It’s certainly not the singular reason, but our offense did not keep the pressure on. Let’s not forget special teams made mistakes too.

Definitely but these things are not mutually exclusive. Both the offense and defense need to do better in the 2nd half. Go for the kill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

For the love of all that's good and holy, can we just bring back Akina?

I hated Charlie Strong for many reasons, but the first was when he let Akina go.  

Yes, please. Akina would be ripping hearts out for some of the shit we've seen from the secondary this season.

gyi0061492596.0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 6th Street said:

This soft ass PK defense has been shredded for 300 yards passing in 3 of the last 4 weeks with no signs of improvement at all.

UH: Donovan Smith, 378 yards, career high

KSU: Will Howard, 327 yards, career high

TCU: Josh Hoover, 302 yards 

This reminds me of our baseball hitting lineups. 

Dudes come in 4-5 with a 5.74 era and we make them look like fucking Greg Maddux in his prime.

Like clockwork.  WTF is it w/UT and this phenomenon?

• Hook 'Em 1