Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We aren't getting to the QB regardless of scheme. 

If the 3-3-5 allows us to play more soundly against the run, get teams behind the chains more consistently and set up for situational pass rush situations where we can get some of our 'better' pass rushers on the field together, then we that's the direction we need to go.

Agree with this, if we aren't getting to the QB then we definitely need to stop the run. Can't have shit like last year again.

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

WHY? 

I was under the impression they were attempting to create more pass rush, but maybe they’ve already thrown in the towel with this Dline group. 

I’ve never been a fan of this particular scheme, so it’s also possible that my bias is showing. 

50 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I was under the impression they were attempting to create more pass rush, but maybe they’ve already thrown in the towel with this Dline group. 

I’ve never been a fan of this particular scheme, so it’s also possible that my bias is showing. 

The last time Texas led the Big 12 in sacks, Charlie Strong was on the sideline running his 3-3 stack. I am not sure the why you think the stack is significantly worse for the pass rush. Texas has been a 3 DL base defense, since Charlie Strong was here. This would not be a big change. I believe Auburn and OSU finished 1 and 2 in the country in Sacks, both running a 3 man fronts. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

The last time Texas led the Big 12 in sacks, Charlie Strong was on the sideline running his 3-3 stack. I am not sure the why you think the stack is significantly worse for the pass rush. Texas has been a 3 DL base defense, since Charlie Strong was here. This would not be a big change. I believe Auburn and OSU finished 1 and 2 in the country in Sacks, both running a 3 man fronts. 

I’m sure some teams have managed to generate pass rush, but that’s not its bread and butter. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m sure some teams have managed to generate pass rush, but that’s not its bread and butter. 

What is its bread and butter? 

I believe 4 of the top 5 sack teams in College football ran a 3-3-5 base. 

I believe the top 3 teams in total sacks in the NFL ran a 3-3-5.. 

So please tell me why you think a 3-3-5 is a bad defense to get to a QB and what defense yo think is better. 

39 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

What is its bread and butter? 

I believe 4 of the top 5 sack teams in College football ran a 3-3-5 base. 

I believe the top 3 teams in total sacks in the NFL ran a 3-3-5.. 

So please tell me why you think a 3-3-5 is a bad defense to get to a QB and what defense yo think is better. 

I admittedly have an aversion to it, but I don’t think it’s a bad defense. I think it’s effective against the spread, but it requires aggressive LB play if you want any pass rush, and that is very easy to exploit. You may be thinking of the 3-4, which is more common in the NFL than 3-3-5. 

• Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I admittedly have an aversion to it, but I don’t think it’s a bad defense. I think it’s effective against the spread, but it requires aggressive LB play if you want any pass rush, and that is very easy to exploit. You may be thinking of the 3-4, which is more common in the NFL than 3-3-5. 

NO. 3-4 is not more common. I have no idea where you got that idea. 

Defensive Personnel Groupings, 2020
Personnel 2019 Pct 2020 DVOA
Nickel 55.9% 1.5%
Base 26.7% -5.6%
Dime+ 16.0%

Unless teams have a linebacker who has high-end coverage ability it makes it difficult to match up against 11 personnel when in a traditional base defense. The top 3 teams who use nickel the most are the Bills (90.3%), Cowboys (78.9%) and Colts (79.0%). Each of these teams have top defenses that rank 3rd, 9th and 10th in scoring this season, respectively.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nickel-package-explained-defensive-personnel-trends-in-the-nfl/

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

NO. 3-4 is not more common. I have no idea where you got that idea. 

Personnel 2019 Pct 2020 DVOA
Nickel 55.9% 1.5%
Base 26.7% -5.6%
Dime+ 16.0%

Unless teams have a linebacker who has high-end coverage ability it makes it difficult to match up against 11 personnel when in a traditional base defense. The top 3 teams who use nickel the most are the Bills (90.3%), Cowboys (78.9%) and Colts (79.0%). Each of these teams have top defenses that rank 3rd, 9th and 10th in scoring this season, respectively.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nickel-package-explained-defensive-personnel-trends-in-the-nfl/

Most teams base is still cover 3 (3-4, 4-3). Also, most of the nickel you’ll see is with 4 down lineman, not stack. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Most teams base is still cover 3 (3-4, 4-3). Also, most of the nickel you’ll see is with 4 down lineman, not stack. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021

that has literally nothing to do with the conversation. You continue to throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks. The coverage has fuck all to do with whether it is out of  a 3-4 or 3-3-5.  The NFL does not run more 3-4 than 3-3-5. The NFL is on average in base 27% of the time (4-3 or a 3-4). 

Personnel 2019 Pct 2020 Pct Difference 2020 DVOA
Nickel 55.9% 59.7% +3.8% 1.5%
Base 26.7% 23.8% -2.9% -5.6%
Dime+ 16.0% 14.9% -1.1% 2.9%
Goal line 0.8% 0.9% +0.1% 7.8%
Big 0.6% 0.7% 0.1% -11.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

that has literally nothing to do with the conversation. You continue to throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks. The coverage has fuck all to do with whether it is out of  a 3-4 or 3-3-5.  The NFL does not run more 3-4 than 3-3-5. The NFL is on average in base 27% of the time (4-3 or a 3-4). 

Big 0.6% 0.7% 0.1% -11.0

Well, originally we were discussing a stack defense. I showed you that it’s not popular in the NFL, so now we’re discussing whether a team runs more base or nickel package for some odd reason. You should argue with my wife, you guys argue eerily similar. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Well, originally we were discussing a stack defense. I showed you that it’s not popular in the NFL, so now we’re discussing whether a team runs more base or nickel package for some odd reason. You should argue with my wife, you guys argue eerily similar. 

that is because you stated

You may be thinking of the 3-4, which is more common in the NFL than 3-3-5. 

at least you can do is remember the BS you are saying and stand by it. Whatever, this is gone on too long anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

that is because you stated

at least you can do is remember the BS you are saying and stand by it. Whatever, this is gone on too long anyway. 

I stand by what I said. But I agree that anything I add would be tautological in nature and even worse than that, very boring. 

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Big 0.6% 0.7% 0.1% -11.0

"Well our base defense is a 4-3, we are in that as much as 20% of the time, so that's important. But we also have a special Nickel package we go to about 2/3 of all snaps."

4 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

"Well our base defense is a 4-3, we are in that as much as 20% of the time, so that's important. But we also have a special Nickel package we go to about 2/3 of all snaps."

Its actually pretty interesting to look at. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/2020-defensive-personnel-bills-and-packers-nickel-and-dime-league

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/2020-defensive-personnel-bills-and-packers-nickel-and-dime-league

Belichek ran "base" 5% of the time. Nickel 47% and Dime 47%. Green Bay ran Dime 50% of the time. Jax ran the most base at 39%.. Only 13 teams ran base (true 3-4/4-3) 25% or more of the time 

51% 4 man lines vs 45% 3 man lines. 

"In 2019, only 10 teams had less than a 3:1 ratio between 3-4 and 4-3, which was an increase from seven teams in 2018. We're now up to 18, and 12 of those teams saw neither 3-4 nor 4-3 hit two-thirds of their 2020 base snaps. Base is becoming less frequent, but it's becoming more flexible."

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So what did Belichick do the other 1% of the time?

Goal line/Heavy sets. 

• "Big" defenses are 4-4 or 3-5 lineups, while "Goal Line" includes all other personnel groups with fewer than four defensive backs. Despite the name, there's no requirement for goal-line defenses to be played on the goal line; Dallas even had a snap of 6-4 against Washington with the Football Team facing a first-and-10 inside their own 20.

Basically, the shit you played when you were growing up

I went way down the rabbit hole on this, got caught up looking at some of Staley’s Rams 5-1 defenses with 2 high shell. If the secondary is better I wouldn’t hate experimenting with some of that. 3 DL, 2 LBs on the edge, 1 MLB.. mostly sending 4 of the 6 box players on passing downs 

Edited by Codaxx

I wouldn't get all worked up about the 3-3 stack based on something Ian Boyd says. He spends every offseason making up new schemes he thinks the DC should run, most of which don't even make sense on paper, let alone on the field. Let's not forget that Ian Boyd wrote about 5,000 words last season about how the current roster was a great fit for PK's scheme in large part, because BJ Foster would be a great deep safety in PK's Cover 1 calls. That was one of the dumbest scheme articles I had ever read at the time, and it somehow became even more braindead in hindsight, which I didn't think would even be possible. 

I don't think it's about overrating the DL as much as it is about recognizing how terrible our edge players are. Ovie was an absolute liablity all last year. He might have been the worst player on our defense outside of hte safeties. People want to hope Sorrell will be good, but he didn't show much pass rush upside against backups in the spring game and even got worked in the run game by guys like Jaylen Garth. I like Finkley long-term, but he was getting absolutely worked by Gunner Helm 1 on 1 all spring game, so he has a long ways to go for this year. So basically, we have nothing at edge and our only hope is that some of the talent on the DL develops. I think it's reasonable to expect Murphy will be above average. Everyone else is just blind hope. Collins has the most potential but after him, there's not a lot. Broughton is awful, and I doubt he'll ever be even decent. Coburn and Sweat have yet to show they can do anything more than eat space. 

Our front 4 was absolutely atrocious last year and we didn't add anything to it besides true freshmen, so it will likely be extremely bad again. I think it's reasonable to expect ILB play to improve with Jaylan Ford coming on and DTD being added, but it won't matter much if our personnel at ILB improves to average if our DL is still getting killed all game. Even just finding edge players who can contain and hold the edge without providing much in pass rush seems doubtful at the moment. 

Outside of basically everyone on the starting 11 taking huge steps forward individually, the best case scenario for this defense next year seems to be an elite offense with a defense that struggles to get stops but forces long drives, clamps down in the red zone a bit, and causes some turnovers so we can win a lot of shootouts.

I trust Bo Davis.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:32 PM, Codaxx said:

I went way down the rabbit hole on this, got caught up looking at some of Staley’s Rams 5-1 defenses with 2 high shell. If the secondary is better I wouldn’t hate experimenting with some of that. 3 DL, 2 LBs on the edge, 1 MLB.. mostly sending 4 of the 6 box players on passing downs

Sounds familar

Bear-Show.png?w=890&ssl=1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, JBJ said:

505 is the alignment.  I'd think our personel is more suited to 504, 514, or 404, though.  There's practically infinite ways to run a stack.  That's one of the strengths of the defense.  It's flexible enough to create a number of fronts without getting overly complicated.

And to me the problems start and end here. We don't have the personnel to run a 505 front. We are too light in the ass for what PK wants them to do and as such we look like we don't have talent up front.

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

And to me the problems start and end here. We don't have the personnel to run a 505 front. We are too light in the ass for what PK wants them to do and as such we look like we don't have talent up front.

WHAT? Texas is not light in the ass. Broughton and Collins were recruited to play the 4i, they were perfect body types. 

Broughton DL 6'4" 287 LBS 1L
Bryan DL 6'4" 293 LBS FR
Murphy DL 6'1" 302 LBS 1L
 T'VONDRE SWEAT DL 6'4" 338 LBS 3L
Jaray Bledsoe DL 6'4" 281 LBS FR
 ALFRED COLLINS DL 6'5" 292 LBS 2L
Ojomo DL 6'3" 279 LBS 3L
Coburn DL 6'2" 336 LBS 3L

I dont get the light in the ass talk for a 3 DL look. Lack EDge guys that can bend and get around an edge, not interior guys with fat asses

Edited by Codaxx

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

WHAT? Texas is not light in the ass. Broughton and Collins were recruited to play the 4i, they were perfect body types. 

Broughton DL 6'4" 287 LBS 1L
Bryan DL 6'4" 293 LBS FR
Murphy DL 6'1" 302 LBS 1L
 T'VONDRE SWEAT DL 6'4" 338 LBS 3L
Jaray Bledsoe DL 6'4" 281 LBS FR
 ALFRED COLLINS DL 6'5" 292 LBS 2L
Ojomo DL 6'3" 279 LBS 3L
Coburn DL 6'2" 336 LBS 3L

I dont get the light in the ass talk for a 3 DL look. Lack EDge guys that can bend and get around an edge, not interior guys with fat asses

Edge players need to be heavier but still adept at rushing the passer. We are too light there for what they are asking them to do, and we are too squatty in the interior guys. We have a bunch of 3 tech guys we are trying to make space eaters. We have a bunch of 4-3 type edge guys we are trying to make work in a 3 man front. Totally different responsibilities. You need basketball player looking ends on a 3 man front that can hold up against the run. We don't have that. We just grabbed some guys that had the right amount of stars with no care for what they can actually do that we need.

Edited by Thatguy

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Edge players need to be heavier but still adept at rushing the passer. We are too light there for what they are asking them to do, and we are too squatty in the interior guys. We have a bunch of 3 tech guys we are trying to make space eaters. We have a bunch of 4-3 type edge guys we are trying to make work in a 3 man front. Totally different responsibilities. You need basketball player looking ends on a 3 man front that can hold up against the run. We don't have that. We just grabbed some guys that had the right amount of stars with no care for what they can actually do that we need.

Texas doesnt have any 4-3 edge guys, that is pretty much the problem. Ones Texas has are either bad or extremely young. 

You need basketball player looking ends on a 3 man front that can hold up against the run. We don't have that.- Literally describes Collins and Broughton. It is exactly what those guys were recruited for. 

28 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas doesnt have any 4-3 edge guys, that is pretty much the problem. Ones Texas has are either bad or extremely young. 

You need basketball player looking ends on a 3 man front that can hold up against the run. We don't have that.- Literally describes Collins and Broughton. It is exactly what those guys were recruited for. 

Our guys with "edge" on the end of their names on the roster weigh from 220's to the 240's as well as a guy like Bush who we asked to play the position. A couple of those guys saw significant playing time. We ran a lot of undermanned fronts, meaning it was crucial that we have the kinds of edge players that can hold up against the run and they cannot. We didn't help them with alignment either.

Just now, Thatguy said:

Our guys with "edge" on the end of their names on the roster weigh from 220's to the 240's as well as a guy like Bush who we asked to play the position. A couple of those guys saw significant playing time. We ran a lot of undermanned fronts, meaning it was crucial that we have the kinds of edge players that can hold up against the run and they cannot. We didn't help them with alignment either.

not in a 3 man line, that was my comment on the basketball player. You are saying the roster needs guys that are actually there. 

Texas has dick at edge, unless someone like Tapp surprises the shit out of all of us. 

• 2 weeks later...

J.D. PicKell: Defensive improvement will be important for Texas in 2022

Justin Rudolph•07/05/22

On3’s, J.D. PicKell continues to dissect college football ahead of the start of the 2022 campaign. And recently, the college football analyst gave his perspective on the Texas Longhorns and what will make them successful this year. According to PicKell, defensive improvement will be an essential part of Texas’ bounce back in 2022.

“For Texas to get where they want to go, defenses gotta get better,” said PicKell. “They allowed 31 points a game in 2021; that’s not gonna cut it if you can’t stop anybody, you got problems in Austin.”

The Longhorns endured a six-game losing streak over the last seven games to close the 2021 season. That losing streak started with a loss in the Red River Rivalry against their bitter rival Oklahoma Sooners and ended with an upset defeat at the hands of the Kansas Jayhawks. During the losing streak, the Longhorns had a series of four games in which they led at halftime only to squander the lead in the second half.

The Longhorns defense struggled as a unit, but PicKell addressed a few individuals who are supposed to be the leaders on the defensive side of the ball. One in particular who he took the task was the Longhorns linebacker Demarvion Overshown.

“So what does a guy like Demarvion Overshown put on tape this coming year? Because a lot of people are looking to him to be a leader for this defense. The biggest thing for me is what does this defense do from an effort standpoint. There were times I saw last year guys like Demarvion Oversham, who’s supposed to be leaders on this defense, jogging after a screenplay against Kansas.”

“So the defense needs to improve… from a culture standpoint. We talked about that with Texas a lot. The revamp needs to start on defense. overshown stepping up as a leader is one of the first dominoes to fall in that rebuild.”

The Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian proved over the course of last season that he is capable of putting together a solid game plan for the offense. But There was no touch display for their defense. It was almost as if the Texas defense was nonexistent for the parts of the 2021 season. That resulted in arguably one of the worst seasons for the Longhorns in recent history. If Texas is to bounce back from their abysmal showing last year, they will need the defense to play at its apex for the entirety of the season, unlike last year.

Wondering what Fatterson has shared with PK after watching 2021 Texas defensive highlights... what are the best adjustments to really improve this 2022 Defense ??

Cross post of good comments by @Had Enough

Had Enough:  Bullshit. The damn OU play that kept them in the game? There was one hole for Williams to run on 4th and 1. There were two unblocked defenders. Guess who they were? Worst case it should have been 1 yard and first. If they don’t get that first, it’s game over.

The DBs and particularly the safeties were horrid at making the best of opportunities at or near the LOS. Missed tackle after missed tackle. Running themselves out of the play. I’m talking plays in which the blitzing DB should be the edge setter.

The safeties didn’t make big plays. They too often failed to prevent bigger run plays. They often screwed up on presented opportunities at or near the LOS.

I’m not sure you could say we were good anywhere on defense. We were damn inconsistent. There was some maddening scheme stuff but it wasn’t scheme that gave up 50 to OU.

Playing defense is a team game. The safeties were the biggest hole in that team game.

Interesting to see how both safeties being replaced for 2022 changes things.  Gotta believe Overshown will be freed up more to fly around and create more chaos for B12 offenses.  How is this defense gonna put more pressure on QBs ??

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wondering what Fatterson has shared with PK after watching 2021 Texas defensive highlights... what are the best adjustments to really improve this 2022 Defense ??

Cross post of good comments by @Had Enough

Interesting to see how both safeties being replaced for 2022 changes things.  Gotta believe Overshown will be freed up more to fly around and create more chaos for B12 offenses.  How is this defense gonna put more pressure on QBs ??

Just based on comments, I think the defensive staff wants to get a lot more aggressive in 2022. I think you see a lot more man and a lot more blitzing, which is what scares me about Jerin and Cooks at safety.  Not sure it will result in a top 5 defense in the BIg 12, but it should be an improvement from off coverage and can’t stop the run defense of 2021. At a minimum at least it should be more watchable, than a death from a 1000 cuts we watched last year 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just based on comments, I think the defensive staff wants to get a lot more aggressive in 2022. I think you see a lot more man and a lot more blitzing, which is what scares me about Jerin and Cooks at safety.  Not sure it will result in a top 5 defense in the BIg 12, but it should be an improvement from off coverage and can’t stop the run defense of 2021. At a minimum at least it should be more watchable, than a death from a 1000 cuts we watched last year 

Where's Kitan gonna play ??

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Where's Kitan gonna play ??

You hope one of the safeties. His probably the most physical and easily the best athlete. Safety is very demanding, he will only see the field if the coaches believe he isn’t going to bust coverage. This is kind of an Overshown situation

• Like 1

Watched that. Good stuff, but the presentation was fucking awful. Is there no one associated with that show who doesn't have the sense to handle the setup before starting and tell SkippyOh "Paul, get your kids or your wife or your neighbor to walk you through positioning and leveling your mic." Trying to hear Wadlington at all, while not getting blasted by Burton was a beating. 

I actually watched about 2/3, and quit - or paused - when they got onto the Defense. Seemed like (maybe changes later in show) they were cutting PK a lot of slack, although they admitted that O has several stars and D has none. My take from last year was that PK was stubbornly sticking with installing his scheme, even though he didn't have the talent at the right spots. I haven't seen any apparent changes, but maybe I'm just too uninformed to see them. I also thought that both Sark and PK were under the impression that they had a free year to do whatever they wanted, which did not require them to actually win every game or die trying. That is, they were hell-bent on installing their own culture and didn't think to adapt to the realities of the existing culture. If that continues and doesn't result in wins, PK may find himself with a different job within just a few games. I don't think anyone gives a fuck that his replacement is likely to have some peculiar habits regarding towels.

• Haha 1

So if you're an optimist, how/where does this defense get better in 2022??

Maybe...

• Barron at Nickel
  • Watts at CB
  • Safety is a little better w/out BJ Foster
  • Stronger and better conditioned DL

Hopefully experience in the same defensive system helps too...

ugh 😬

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe...

• Barron at Nickel
  • Watts at CB
  • Safety is a little better w/out BJ Foster
  • Stronger and better conditioned DL

Hopefully experience in the same defensive system helps too...

ugh 😬

Hope lies in development, watts, and players moving around. PK had shown he will mix up the defense. It isn’t like he sat in his 2-4-5 all season. He went 2-4-5, 3-3-5, and even 3-4 last season, so stubborn isn’t the issue. It’s finding correct 

• Like 1

Cross-posting good info from @FreeHorn 

FreeHorn:  Patterson has told multiple people in the coaching world that he was brought on to do two specific things. 

1. Scout opponents defense

2. Scout our current defense and help Gideon and Joseph better merge the secondary with the front 6/7.

They were duly aware that the front and back end didn’t mesh well. That hurt the team last year. At Washington Lake handled the DBs and understood what PK was trying to do. Patterson spends his time with Gideon and the secondary players. Focused on the backend during spring practice and added some coverages. I doubt we play the two high much and that’s the only thing that makes me have some hope. Still don’t think we are very athletic on the backend. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

ugh 😬

I'm not hugely optimistic about the D. If the water is right, the glass is too big; if the glass is correctly sized, the water is insufficient. The offseason has seen nobody really helping in either talent increase or scheme redesign.

Now I'm really sorrier than ever that Sark (or whomever) didn't hang onto Ash, 'cause I think an Ash D last year would have allowed us to get to 9+ wins, and this year we'd be looking at plus 1 or 2 over that.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I'm not hugely optimistic about the D. If the water is right, the glass is too big; if the glass is correctly sized, the water is insufficient. The offseason has seen nobody really helping in either talent increase or scheme redesign.

Now I'm really sorrier than ever that Sark (or whomever) didn't hang onto Ash, 'cause I think an Ash D last year would have allowed us to get to 9+ wins, and this year we'd be looking at plus 1 or 2 over that.

And at worst, Ash’s defense seems easier to hand over to GP, if things go south.

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?