Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Who knows if this is 995 bullshit or not, but it reminds me of the Manny Diaz/Gerg Robinson deal where Gerg was an "analyst" waiting in the wings if manny fucked up (which of course he did). Mack knew Manny was shaky, but instead of ripping off the band aid like a real coach he hedged and hung on to Manny when he shouldn't have.  

It's clear PK should go, but Sark may be pulling the mack brown hedge "hey, I'm doing something" special.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Who knows if this is 995 bullshit or not, but it reminds me of the Manny Diaz/Gerg Robinson deal where Gerg was an "analyst" waiting in the wings if manny fucked up (which of course he did). Mack knew Manny was shaky, but instead of ripping off the band aid like a real coach he hedged and hung on to Manny when he shouldn't have.  

It's clear PK should go, but Sark may be pulling the mack brown hedge "hey, I'm doing something" special.

Or maybe it’s CDC doing something special.

I know it’s a bit far fetched, but there is one scenario where I see Patterson eventually becoming our HC. PK continues to cost us games in 2022. Sark is too much of a pussy to fire him mid-season and gets forced to fire him at the end of the season. GP takes over as DC. Sark continues to underperform in other facets of his job (recruiting, game management, etc.). CDC shit cans him after 2023 and promotes his good friend Patterson.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Or maybe it’s CDC doing something special.

I know it’s a bit far fetched, but there is one scenario where I see Patterson eventually becoming our HC. PK continues to cost us games in 2022. Sark is too much of a pussy to fire him mid-season and gets forced to fire him at the end of the season. GP takes over as DC. Sark continues to underperform in other facets of his job (recruiting, game management, etc.). CDC shit cans him after 2023 and promotes his good friend Patterson.

ok, thats some long game, chess-not-checkers shit. Doubtful, but worth a newsletter subscription.  

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

dumb question alert, but I always thought Patterson ran a 4-2-5 at TCU with 4-3 front principles. PK's 2-4-5 appears to me to be based mostly on 3-4 front principles.  Am I off here?  Seems like an odd marriage (if true of course).  

Kinda. But they have time to go on a retreat trip to figure out why they do what they do and get some agreement on what will work best with the players we have vs there opponents we face...

Which principles do they want to keep?

5 DBs and 2 ILB and 2 DT for sure... So 9 of 11.

Ok. What role do we want them to play?

Cover 3 with a strong safety that can support run or cover an inside receiver or TE.

Ok. This is going to be a short trip...

What are the ILB going to be? Thumpers in the run game... Hook to curl zones on obvious pass Down and Distance... More detailed in specific run fits (OZ, IZ, ZR, counter trey, whatever.) But we can detail that in weekly planning...

What do we do with the DTs? 1 or 2 gap? Space eaters? QB pressure on passing down and distance? Lots of stunts and twists or simple base?

What are we doing on the outside? OLB or DE or hybrid? Strong v Weak? Field v Boundary? Pass v Run?

And they just keep going...  PK, Choate, Davis, Patterson should be able to get the shit figured out. Gideon should room with Patterson and learn the back 5... Coleman is gone unless he wants to get on the cover 3 bus.

I'm making this up, but I'm right at a high level.

13 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

dumb question alert, but I always thought Patterson ran a 4-2-5 at TCU with 4-3 front principles. PK's 2-4-5 appears to me to be based mostly on 3-4 front principles.  Am I off here?  Seems like an odd marriage (if true of course).  

It's closer to the opposite.

Patterson was at one point a 4-3 guy, but Patterson has been running hybrid fronts for a while now.

PK comes from a 3-4 hierarchy. But runs both true 3-4 and a true-ish 4-3 concepts.  It's not a hybrid, it's multiple defenses.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

I always thought TCU did a good job of playing zone but having the DBs recognizing routes.  At some point zone needs to turn into man, the point isn't to just cover grass.  Our guys don't react until the ball is already caught.  Is that something Patterson could implement as an analyst, or do you need film and on the field instruction?  I would guess the latter.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, Yesh said:

I always thought TCU did a good job of playing zone but having the DBs recognizing routes.  At some point zone needs to turn into man, the point isn't to just cover grass.  Our guys don't react until the ball is already caught.  Is that something Patterson could implement as an analyst, or do you need film and on the field instruction?  I would guess the latter.

Pattern matching zone is a thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PK added a good recruiter to analyst staff that will help with CB's  and DB's

Sarkisian has reportedly added another new name to the staff, only this time, on the defensive side of the ball, hiring former Florida Atlantic assistant Joey Thomas as a defensive analyst. 

A former player under current Longhorns defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski at Montana State, Thomas played cornerback in the Bobcats defensive scheme, before going on to be a third-round selection of the Green Bay Packers in the 2004 NFL Draft.  Thomas also spent time with the New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys, Edmonton Eskimos (CFL), Miami Dolphins, and Oakland Raiders as a player. 

After spending time in the high school ranks as a coach, Thomas moved on to the college level in 2019 at Fort Scott Junior College, before moving to Florida Atlantic in 2020 as an analyst. After a year as an analyst, Thomas was promoted to wide receivers coach. 

PK lost a defensive analyst to a promotion at Oregon State

Cole Moore was the Assistant Director of Player Personnel for the Texas Longhorns last season. Previously he spent time with the Washington Huskies (Football Recruiting Assistant) and Montana State (Director of Football Operations).

Edited by LTtxfan

Rod Babers was citing horrific numbers about the 2021 defense on his show. I dont have it down verbatim but something like…

> Teams completed 58% passes past 20 yds. Thats bad. Average is like 38%.

> Runs to one of the weakside gaps went for over 10yds a clip. Maybe I misheard, but that was Thornton/Oghoufo. Time and again I saw them run upfield and not be in position.

> Our corners rarely made plays. I think Jamison had one pick and one pbu.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Rod Babers was citing horrific numbers about the 2021 defense on his show. I dont have it down verbatim but something like…

> Teams completed 58% passes past 20 yds. Thats bad. Average is like 38%.

> Runs to one of the weakside gaps went for over 10yds a clip. Maybe I misheard, but that was Thornton/Oghoufo. Time and again I saw them run upfield and not be in position.

> Our corners rarely made plays. I think Jamison had one pick and one pbu.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Is Rod not a Friend Of The Program?

He makes his living off attracting Texas fan eyeballs and eardrums.  We can do without the ridiculous imagery though.  PK came here and stunk up the joint.  It was for a variety of reasons including his limitations as a coach.  Not because there’s some supernormal force surrounding the program.  Get better players, give them a consistent S&C program, don’t have stupid game plans that they can’t execute, optimize the deployment of their skill sets.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I mean I guess you have to actually be in position to make a tackle to miss one. But I still doubt your statement.

To me tackling is about positioning more than form. It’s hard to tackle guys in space with a 2 way go. Have a guy to your left and one to your right  and that tackle gets a lot easier. Bad tackling is usually a symptom of poor gap integrity 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?