Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

What about the play up until THAT point? Like, the other 95% of the game. The defense was coached well and played well. Get the fuck over it. This game was lost on inability to press with an injured backup at QB.

Better yet, go back and watch the last drive and tell me how many eligible guys are covered by a a guy 10+ yards off.

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Those short side CB blitzes are a Gary Patterson trademark.  GP's fingerprints were all over this game.  I hope that continues.

And, yeah, it's probably predictable and unfair to give GP the credit instead of PK, but I nonetheless absolutely believe that's the case.  We have seen these things from TCU for the last 20 years and saw none of it from PK last year.

All of this.

I find it a little funny that GP is the savior all of a sudden.  If Brock was still our starting LB like last year GP would not be able to do anything with that shit pie.   GP is definitely helping but the talent level this year compared to last is significant.  I’m not saying PK deserves all of the credit but I find it ridiculous for anyone to say that it was all GP yesterday.  No one really knows for sure other than Sark.   

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

No one really knows for sure other than Sark.   

This is getting dangerously close to "trust the coaches" bullshit.

The defense is better in every imaginable way. The DBs are lining up correctly. The DL is getting pressure, even without blitzing. We're seeing swarm tackling so that missed tackles don't kill us. And we're seeing obvious contributions from Patterson. But it's not just those things.

The talent upgraded, the scheme improved, the teaching improved, and the defense trusts each other now.

It's not any one thing that changed to make it good this year. Just like how last year it was a whole bunch of things that were wrong.

• Like 3

I really think the answer is both PK and GP have led to defensive improvements. However, GP is more of a special assistant to the head coach versus just a defensive mind. GP helps on both sides of the ball both in practice and in game planning. We're lucky to have him for this year, and we should give our support to PK until proven otherwise. GP is gone after this year, regardless (Nebraska?).

I have been in wait and see mode, but I think we're on the cusp of both Sark and PK haters eating a bit of crow. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

I really think the answer is both PK and GP have led to defensive improvements. However, GP is more of a special assistant to the head coach versus just a defensive mind. GP helps on both sides of the ball both in practice and in game planning. We're lucky to have him for this year, and we should give our support to PK until proven otherwise. GP is gone after this year, regardless (Nebraska?).

I have been in wait and see mode, but I think we're on the cusp of both Sark and PK haters eating a bit of crow. 

This team is still in need of more depth.  Hopefully we avoid anymore significant injuries and continue to add more talent on defense especially at LB, Edge, and DL.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Bama was attacking the LB coverage, and running at our NB -- teams like okie lite and baylor will do the same.  Was surprised to not see Bama go deep yesterday -- B12 teams with speed will test Texas deep.

Our Defense has to keep improving as this season goes along.

Edit:  K-State is also a team that will match up well against Texas Defense.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

This is getting dangerously close to "trust the coaches" bullshit.

The defense is better in every imaginable way. The DBs are lining up correctly. The DL is getting pressure, even without blitzing. We're seeing swarm tackling so that missed tackles don't kill us. And we're seeing obvious contributions from Patterson. But it's not just those things.

The talent upgraded, the scheme improved, the teaching improved, and the defense trusts each other now.

It's not any one thing that changed to make it good this year. Just like how last year it was a whole bunch of things that were wrong.

The secondary being much improved is why I think it’s a split on GP and PK. PK finally has someone that he trust with the backend which allows him to do his thing with the front dline. Imo Terry Joseph, and maybe Gideon, aren’t being talked about as much when it comes to the failures of the secondary. 

16 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

I've been thinking for months about someone's post a while back showing how PKs defenses get significantly more productive in year two. Post-install. Maybe he had Gary showing him how to coach for all his previous stops too though. /s 

Give the guy some credit. Also be glad GP is on the sidelines. What a lucky bounce our way with that 

• Hook 'Em 4

Good for PK.  Patterson has been scheming for this game since he was hired.   This is Patterson telling PK his Pac 12 shit won't work here.  Good to see PK learning.

Bama receivers had some inexplicable drops but our DB's were good enough and the DL got pressure.  Ford played well also.  If one obvious holding is called we win.

I really hope the fucking injury bug is over for us.  

PK gets credit for calling the game with the GP homework.  Well done.

I did notice that the communication between players was constant, especially DB's and LB's.  nothing like last year.  the whole staff should be given credit for that.

Let's shut down UTSA and Tech and get this thing rolling.  We are going to need it if Ewers is out for few weeks.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

PK gets credit for calling the game with the GP homework.  Well done.

I did notice that the communication between players was constant, especially DB's and LB's.  nothing like last year.  the whole staff should be given credit for that.

Let's shut down UTSA and Tech and get this thing rolling.  We are going to need it if Ewers is out for few weeks.

I saw the Defensive Linemen communicating with each other to line up correctly. Big difference from last year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

@Burt Macklin you may have already addressed elsewhere, but curious what you are seeing as the reason(s) for the dramatic change in defensive results through 2 games. Better effort, better execution, changes in scheme, a combination? Or is this just a small sample size and there are red flag warnings?

IMO, they are simply playing fundamental assignment football. Everyone is doing their job. The only time I saw a breakdown was on the 80 yard run when the Rover and LB waited instead of firing into their run fits. The LBs, CBs, and Safeties can tighten up their zone coverages a bit and recognize a little better when they should get in the receivers hip pocket and stay there (Watts should have stayed with the RB instead of letting him go back inside and score the TD).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:20 AM, Rhinotx said:

I saw the Defensive Linemen communicating with each other to line up correctly. Big difference from last year. 

Remember a play specifically where one interior DL told the other to slide down a gap.  We proceeded to stuff that run in the exact gap the interior DL shifted over to.  It’s so refreshing to see some sense of competence on the defensive side of the ball.

• Hook 'Em 3

New looks this week:

image.png.3e1424edf28fe5c67f597c3fe3708147.png

That's a MINT set, which is basically a nickel version of Tite and it plays similarly, but responsibilities are going to be somewhat different.  It should always be a four man front.  A nickel  (Guillbeau) is on the field, so Overshown is in his normal Will position.  In MINT, the Will is usually a spin down safety and has nickel/OLB coverage responsibilities.  So one moves him out over a boundary slot as pictured because (1) the Jack is considered a fulltime DL, and (2) you can keep safeties 2-deep.  Without 2 WR to the boundary it looks like a Tite, but obviously there's a nickel on the field.  MINT is an anagram for Match (player match ups, not match coverage), Inside (Tite), Nickel, Two (Deep).  Like Baptists, some defenses don't follow all the prongs.

To compliment the Tite from nickel, we played our Over from base.  It's hard to see numbers here; DMO is at Sam and DTD at Will:

image.png.57380343c653c002f142c5de0cc6fef0.png

• Hook 'Em 7

9 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

@Burt Macklin you may have already addressed elsewhere, but curious what you are seeing as the reason(s) for the dramatic change in defensive results through 2 games. Better effort, better execution, changes in scheme, a combination? Or is this just a small sample size and there are red flag warnings?

The schemes are different both front and secondary, but a lot of it is coming from an improved DL.

There's no voodoo magic on this play, just getting after it:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sorrell is better than anyone we had last year, and Ojomo is playing like he's 30 lbs lighter with added strength.

---

I can't understand how this chop against Coburn was missed.  That's a really dangerous play.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I will also give PK credit for the communication and what appears to be players knowing their assignments very well.

Part of instilling a culture is making sure guys do their film study and push for doing beyond the minimum.  We'll never know for sure but I'd bet a pretty good number of guys weren't bought in to that.  I bet Brock and Bush were playing a lot last year because they were doing the work off the field.

I'd like to see us follow the Bama performance with an even more dominating performance against UTSA.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The schemes are different both front and secondary, but a lot of it is coming from an improved DL.

There's no voodoo magic on this play, just getting after it:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sorrell is better than anyone we had last year, and Ojomo is playing like he's 30 lbs lighter with added strength.

---

I can't understand how this chop against Coburn was missed.  That's a really dangerous play.

There was a worry by a lot of people that we were basically throwing the same guys out there and it would be dumb to think there will be better results. That worry was justified in a lot of ways. Sorrell didn’t play a ton last year but but the majority of guys that did, have shown improvement. I dunno if we as fans will ever know why or how the switch happened, if it was a second year in the system, GP(or both him and PK), better S&C, etc... 

Whatever happened I’m happy to see it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

There was a worry by a lot of people that we were basically throwing the same guys out there and it would be dumb to think there will be better results. That worry was justified in a lot of ways. Sorrell didn’t play a ton last year but but the majority of guys that did, have shown improvement. I dunno if we as fans will ever know why or how the switch happened, if it was a second year in the system, GP(or both him and PK), better S&C, etc... 

Whatever happened I’m happy to see it. 

Maybe having some continuity. Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat have seen a revolving door of coaches and schemes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Maybe having some continuity. Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat have seen a revolving door of coaches and schemes.

It’s like a lot of people who weren’t calling for PK’s head after year 1 said exactly this. Continuity in scheme and coaching is big. Starting all over wasn’t going to fix what was broken 

• Hook 'Em 3

IT-Coach Venables        Bama Game

That was the closest thing to the old UT defense’s in a long time. It was like the old saying—we got there because everybody wanted to get there. Even the guys on the bench wanted a shot at old number one. Once again injury knocked out a starter. D’Shawn Jamison (5) went down with a foot injury after almost picking off a curl route.

Let’s talk DT. We rotated six big guys and they all had penetration advancements to help force Bama out of their ground game. The best accomplishment (my opinion) was the push upfield to bust the pocket and force the QB into an early decision. Keondre Coburn (99), Moro Ojomo (98), T’Vondre Sweat (93), Byron Murphy (90), Vernon Broughton (45), and Alfred Collins (95) gave better than they took. Thank you indeed.

Let’s talk DE/Edge, and various assignments. Barryn Sorrell (88) had one horrible play where as a 9 technique he got reached by an OT. This is a cardinal sin for a DE. The end result was a 80 yard TD. It’s not all his fault mind you but he started a chain reaction that led to a poor angle and a miscommunication of who forces and who contains. Just one different reaction by any of them and it’s a ten yard gain. Stuff happens.

We need to talk about pass rush from the edge. We are still running too far upfield. Ovie Oghoufo (18) hasn’t learned from last year nor has he been effectively coached to brake when he gets even with the QB and find the best path to the ball. He got credit for a sack despite going too deep once the QB fell leaving the pocket. Coverage sack all the way. He got beat bad in coverage by the RB on the last drive. Both Edges (88) and (18) also fall victim at times to ducking inside when the OT invites them in. Losing contain is not acceptable especially when you have a QB that has run ability and smart like the Bama QB. I didn’t see any of the young guys, Justice Finkley (1), J’Mond Tapp (17), or Jaray Bledsoe (94) get any worthwhile snaps.

The LB’s played better than last week but still have warts in their game. Jaylan Ford (41) had a terrific sack and ten tackles. That’s ten more than last week. Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey (2) and David Gbenda (33) got some snaps but can’t seem to find the ball very often. DeMarvion Overshown (0) had a bunch of good hustle plays but still overshoots his gap or undercuts his pursuit too often. I will say this group pursued the ball with reckless abandon. Want-to makes everyone better.

The secondary played extremely well with two exceptions. The 80 yard TD was careless and unnecessary. The corner blitz and miss was the key in their last drive. I found no fault in Ryan Watts’ (6) blitz technique. Young is a great QB for a ton of reasons. Avoiding a bullet blitz was one athlete winning that particular play over another. Anthony Cook (11) had another good game except for the long td run. Jerrin Thompson (28) played well with some big hit tackles leading the charge. Jamier Johnson (31) played well except for giving too much cushion on one completion. Jaylon Guilbeau (13) had a poor angle attempt on a tackle and was replaced. Jahdae Barron (23) played well with two good tackles. Austin Jordan (4) had a nice game. All in all, this bunch flew to the ball better than I have seen in a long time. Their tackling has improved—not perfect but getting better.

I have to mention Daniel Trejo (35) punting—one 60 yarder with zero return and another killed on the one foot line. Bert Auburn (45) hit a pressure FG (45) in the last two minutes but we still had one loser (fault??) right before half.

I hope you had as much fun watching UT play the game like it was meant to be played as I did. Let’s get well, keep developing, and load up on fun again this week. It will be UTSA’s Super Bowl—another little brother to discipline

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/coach-v-texas-longhorns-football-is-fun-again/

Dunlap's deep dive (yes, he spends a lot of it sucking off GP, but I'm gonna assume the guy with a headset on gameday also played a role)

Spoiler

As always, we'll give analysis along with the tiered rankings (now updated through 1 week of the 2022 season) which are derived via a proprietary scoring formula, and based on the following advanced charting statistics (please note the distinctions in how tackles, etc. are counted and why these stats will always differ from the official university stats):

Click Images to Enlarge

DEEP-DIG-2016-OFFICIAL-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Def-DIS-LEGEND.jpg

***Please note since 2019: -1 point has been added for any defensive penalty outside of defensive pass interference which is always considered a coverage burn and is not double-counted. Please also note that since 2019, missed tackles that result in blown contains are counted as blown contains (-1) and are not double-counted as both a blown contain and a missed tackle***

Defensive Participation Log: Alabama

Deep-Dig-2022-ALA-PART.jpg

Defensive Snap Counts By Week and Percentage of Total Defensive Snaps Played Through Week 2:

Deep-Dig-2022-Defensive-Player-Participation-9.12.53-AM.jpg

Defensive Productivity Market-Share Percentages and Snaps per Production Caused Metrics Through Week 2 (snaps per disruption caused is colored coded from blue/best to white/median to red/worst):

Deep-Dig-2022-Copy-of-Market-Master.jpg

Missed Tackles Versus Alabama - Only 6

Jahdae Barron - 2
Jaylan Ford - 2
Jaylon Guilbeau - 1
Ryan Watts - 1 (technically counted as a blown contain)

Thoughts

There will likely be a new leader in the clubhouse soon

When looking at the current market-share standings for the team, it's odd to see D'Shawn Jamison still sitting atop the list despite getting hurt so early in the Alabama game, but the fact remains as last week that the pick-six TD versus ULM still weighs heavily in the formula, given that the sample of total snaps is still relatively small. If Jamison is unable to go this week versus UTSA -- or even if he does go and plays more of a pedestrian game -- he's very likely going to give up the lead in the Deep Dig rankings.

This does not appear to be a scenario like we've had in the past with players like Malik Jefferson or Joseph Ossai, etc. where one player has started out in the cat bird's seat and then front-ran through the whole, entire season. We'll see some jockeying for rank as the campaign moves forward and predicting who will eventually end up on top actually makes for a pretty difficult endeavor. You could make cases for a lot of the players even down into the current Tier 3 as being candidates to really ascend down the stretch.

We don't know how it all works but Gary Patterson needs to get paid

Last we checked, Gary Patterson was making $150,000 a year to be a defensive consultant for the Texas football team with the official title of "special assistant to the head football coach." He was making $6 million previously as head coach at TCU. It's important that Texas at least try to retain Patterson in some way following the 2022 season, and we don't know how it all works, but he needs to be paid.

Patterson's fingerprints were all over the defensive game plan for the Longhorns on Saturday. We at the Deep Dig know all too well the stunts and twists and unique ways of getting to the QB that Patterson has been able to employ against Texas' OL protection over the years. We've graded every one of those snaps and have lost collective years off of our lives for the displeasure. We saw Demarvion Overshown lined up off the edge and then loop in to A-gap on TED stunts as well as guys like Ovie Oghuofo and Barryn Sorrell; we saw DL pinch-twists that opened up holes to penetrate through, and most importantly, we saw production at getting to the passer and disrupting the ever-living you-know-what out of the reigning Heisman trophy winner, Bryce Young.

In all, Texas totaled 15 separate acts of QB disruption (QB pressures, QB hits or QB sacks) on 57 total defensive snaps. So, 26% of the time, the Texas defense was very negatively impacting the opposing passer.

Against Alabama.

Now, if we look back to the ULM game, Texas also had 15 total acts of QB disruption on 66 total snaps (a little less at 22.7% of the time). But it was still 15 (fifteen!) times getting to the QB. Let's compare that to Year 1 under the same defensive coordinator, Pete Kwiatkowski, just without the help of Gary Patterson:

ULL - 10 QB disruptions
69 defensive snaps
14.49% disruption percentage

Arkansas - 8 QB disruptions
59 defensive snaps
13.55% disruption percentage

Rice - 10 QB disruptions
55 defensive snaps
18.18% disruption percentage

Texas Tech - 12 QB disruptions
61 defensive snaps
19.67% disruption percentage

TCU - 6 QB disruptions
68 defensive snaps
8.82% disruption percentage

OU - 19 QB disruptions
82 defensive snaps
23.17% disruption percentage

OSU - 14 QB disruptions
80 defensive snaps
17.5% disruption percentage

Baylor - 10 QB disruptions
71 defensive snaps
14.08% disruption percentage

ISU - 11 QB disruptions
70 defensive snaps
15.71% disruption percentage

Kansas - 9 QB disruptions
70 defensive snaps
12.86% disruption percentage

WVU - 12 QB disruptions
85 defensive snaps
14.12% disruption percentage

KSU - 1 QB disruption
48 defensive snaps
2.08% disruption percentage

So, all of last season saw one game where the defensive coaching staff dialed up anything like what we saw against Alabama, the undoubted most-challenging opponent Texas has faced during Sark's tenure in Austin: Oklahoma. And in that game, Texas was able to wail on an overrated Spencer Rattler behind a rebuilding OL that had just lost Creed Humphrey to the NFL badly enough to get Rattler benched. (Which, ironically, is why Oklahoma won the football game).

In two games with Gary Patterson on board, Texas is averaging a QB disruption percentage of 24.39% in 2022, having as part of that small sample, again, the toughest opponent Texas has faced over the entire period examined.

On the whole in the 2021 season, Texas averaged a QB disruption percentage of 14.91%.

It's not hard to examine the personnel, the prevailing circumstances, the level of competition and all other factors and come to the conclusion that Patterson has clearly had a big impact on what Texas is doing -- hell, on what Texas' burgeoning IDENTITY is -- defensively. It looks like a Gary Patterson defense, it smells like a Gary Patterson defense, and the numbers show it is simply a much more effective one in 2022 than it was in 2021.

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?