Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas had 32 pressures in the game, out of 44 passes + a handful of QB runs out of called pass plays.

I can understand the missed tackles considering our best defender got ejected for a form tackle.

Sadly, most pressures came late against the backup QB to include the 1 sack we managed all night.

I mean we should be getting true pressure with the front 4 against teams like this as a sign of whether or not we’re going to be much improved on D. A number of ‘pressures’ we got against the starter led to first downs for UTSA via abandonment of containment or failure to convert pressure to a positive play.

1 minute ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Sadly, most pressures came late against the backup QB to include the 1 sack we managed all night.

I mean we should be getting true pressure with the front 4 against teams like this as a sign of whether or not we’re going to be much improved on D. A number of ‘pressures’ we got against the starter led to first downs for UTSA via abandonment of containment or failure to convert pressure to a positive play.

The backup QB had 5 pass attempts, so no, that is not correct.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our seasonal point differential is +62 and the defense is giving up 16.3 points a game and scoring 4.6 points per game--should be over 5, but hey, that safety call has been forgotten, right? 

We're decent but it's obvious we are not close to elite--need more juice in the short passing game, need more turnovers, and fewer bullshit targeting calls.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

People felt like our DL sucked against their patchwork OL. We got the pressure; Harris is just legit and slippery. He’s hard to sack. 

We switch QB’s and we win by 50. Harris should be at a bigger program right now because he’s the only reason they had a chance last night. He could start for KSU, Kansas, Tech, Iowa St and TCU. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

There was plenty of pressure, otherwise where did all those missed sacks come from? That wasn’t the problem.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Harris could start for Aggy

"Could"

He would be their best QB by a mile. Harris could start for 99% of college teams. I really don't think UTSA is all that good other than they have a legit QB and some quality wide receivers. 

This game went as about as expected. If UTSA didn't have Frank Harris escaping pressure all night this would have been a 50 point loss. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I absolutely do not understand how the same group of guys could fight tooth and nail with Bama then turn around and play like dog shit. I get struggling for a couple of series or the first quarter. But the whole damn game? The talent is obviously there so it must be the head/heart. Just more of the same soft bullshit.

Completely different ideologies they were facing. Harris and UTSA came in with a gameplan of taking all the underneath stuff and putting together long drives to suck the air and TOP out of us. Most teams aren't that patient. They were. That's how you put together a 20 play drive. Meanwhile, we were insistent on playing a little off and that lead right into their hands. That gameplan works when you are up, but as soon as you start getting down human nature is to start looking for the big play. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

They were by default. As we seemed to play as though we were unaware of what the limitations would be for a team that lost its top 4 tackles and had a walk-on getting playing time. 

We whipped their OL for 3 quarters of that game. Harris playing superman was the only thing that prevented us from getting 5 sacks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He had some good moments but he also whiffed on several tackles that middle linebackers need to be making. There’s still some consistency missing from him.

15 tackles is bueno. If he missed some tackles I'll take it it's still better than anything we've had the past 10 years. Quit hating on the kid and recognize trill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Still gave up too many yards and 1st downs to Utsa, but some progress in points allowed... please stay healthy and improve tackling🙏

Still only gave up 4.87 yards per play vs UTSA, that is a very good number.   People got their panties in a wad over the first drive, but forcing teams to run 20 plays to score a FG is solid defense. There will not be a lot of 20 play drives vs Texas this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Still only gave up 4.87 yards per play vs UTSA, that is a very good number.   People got their panties in a wad over the first drive, but forcing teams to run 20 plays to score a FG is solid defense. There will not be a lot of 20 play drives vs Texas this year. 

That drive was just frustrating and annoying.  But you’re exactly right.  

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

People upset because "we gave up too many yards and points to UTSA" are dumb.  That QB has been there for a decade and they have very legit receivers.

We expected this defense to be bad.  It is not bad, yet.  We will win a lot of fucking games this year if we are constantly only giving up 20 points, especially when QE is back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'd like someone to point out a defense that has face 3 better QBs this year, in the aggregate.  Rogers, Young (Heisman) and Harris ranged from good to phenomenal.  I can't exactly pinpoint why our defense is better, given a pretty similar roster as last year, but they are better (99 --> 53).  Take the improvement.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

People upset because "we gave up too many yards and points to UTSA" are dumb.  That QB has been there for a decade and they have very legit receivers.

We expected this defense to be bad.  It is not bad, yet.  We will win a lot of fucking games this year if we are constantly only giving up 20 points, especially when QE is back. 

Last year Texas gave up 6.03 yards per play (103rd). They gave up less than 5 yards twice (Rice and OSU)

They have done is twice this year in 3 games (Bama 5.94 per).. So things are looking better. 

Snap counts from UTSA (via OB)

Interior DL

Sweat- 39

Coburn- 35

Ojomo- 33

Murphy- 28

Broughton- 17

Collins- 15

Bryant- 9

Swanson-9

Edge

Ovie- 56

Sorrell- 52

Durban- 18

Finkley- 16

Burke- 9

Tapp- 7

LB

Ford- 62

Overshown- 54

Tucker-Dorsey- 34

Bush- 23

Gbenda- 9

CB

Watts- 72

Jamison- 57

Johnson- 32

Jordan- 9

Nickel

Barron- 41

Guilbeau- 29

Taaffe- 9

Safety

Thompson- 76

Cook- 76

Crawford- 9

Blackwell- 2

Feeling pretty great about the improvement in our pass rush so far.

Last season PFF gave us the 115th ranked team pass rush grade.  Up to 19th this year.  I went and looked at it on game by game basis and the improvement is impressive.  We doubled our pressure % from 37% last year to 74% this year.  Even more impressive, we generated pressure on Alabama on 59.5% of passes which would have been the 2nd highest rate of any game played in 2021 (Rice was at 81%).

image.png.a7e541bd301d7c85451dc4726a992aa9.png

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 9/18/2022 at 6:36 PM, Duane Moore said:

Ford being a competent LB has helped. He is credited with 15 tackles last night. 

UTSA was his best game, but he hasn’t been very good so far this year. Most of the improvement in the run game is coming from the improved DL play. 

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Last season PFF gave us the 115th ranked team pass rush grade.  Up to 19th this year.  I went and looked at it on game by game basis and the improvement is impressive.  We doubled our pressure % from 37% last year to 74% this year.  Even more impressive, we generated pressure on Alabama on 59.5% of passes which would have been the 2nd highest rate of any game played in 2021 (Rice was at 81%).

image.png.55e3076493dba312bc004b22542ee78a.png

They’re definitely letting the DL get after it. That statistical improvement is crazy with almost identical personnel. It also shows how bad the defensive coaching performance was last year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

UTSA was his best game, but he hasn’t been very good so far this year. Most of the improvement in the run game is coming from the improved DL play. 

They’re definitely letting the DL get after it. That statistical improvement is crazy with almost identical personnel. It also shows how bad the defensive coaching performance was last year. 

or Coburn realizing its his last chance for a pay check and finally playing like it. (half joke)

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I think there’s something to that with him, but it’s also hard to attribute every single DL and edge playing clearly better to individual circumstances. 

mixture of things. 8th year seniors like Coburn and Sweat drastically improving hints to attitude adjustments. They are mixing in movement much more this year and playing tighter in the back end, though that still makes me nervous. One guy that has disappointed me is Crawford. I was hoping his play time would grow as the season progressed. I think the Texas secondary is pretty slow overall and needing an injection of speed. I hope I am wrong, but I think we will see at least 1 game where someone does serious damage down the field. Probably should add Gbenda to the disappointment list. I was hoping he would be at least league average by now, the fact Bush is ahead of his is not a good sign. LB depth is a serious issue this year and panic worthy for 2023. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

image.png.a7e541bd301d7c85451dc4726a992aa9.png

Wow. 3 games in and we have 50% of our total pressures for all of last season. We also have 56% of total hurries, and 62% of total hits. We haven't done as well converting those to sacks so far, but I think they'll come.  

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

mixture of things. 8th year seniors like Coburn and Sweat drastically improving hints to attitude adjustments. They are mixing in movement much more this year and playing tighter in the back end, though that still makes me nervous. One guy that has disappointed me is Crawford. I was hoping his play time would grow as the season progressed. I think the Texas secondary is pretty slow overall and needing an injection of speed. I hope I am wrong, but I think we will see at least 1 game where someone does serious damage down the field. Probably should add Gbenda to the disappointment list. I was hoping he would be at least league average by now, the fact Bush is ahead of his is not a good sign. LB depth is a serious issue this year and panic worthy for 2023. 

Cook and Thompson have been good at safety. I don't think Crawford not seeing the field much in his first year at the position is necessarily a knock on him. If he cannot take the starting job vacated by Cook and run with it next year, then I think disappointment is reasonable.

Edited by gmr548

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Cook and Thompson have been good at safety. I don't think Crawford not seeing the field much is necessarily a knock on him. If he cannot take the starting job vacated by Cook and run with it next year

I havent seen them show any real ability to cover ground. Texas hasnt really been tested deep much this year, but I can not remember seeing a Safety in position when they have. If it wasnt for an illegal shift call on UTSA they would have 2 long TD passes. 

Edited by Codaxx

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I quite like Thompson and Cook so far, but I do hope that Crawford can improve to take Cook's spot next year

One thing that I don't have a strong opinion on but that I'm going to pay attention to is the demands that we're placing on the secondary. The defense is using the 'coverage to generate pressure' approach, which is a big ask by itself. Then you add a mobile QB like Harris, and you're asking them to cover for a long time. Like 4-5 seconds when the average release time is 2.5-3. I think the approach makes sense with our personnel (i.e. consistent strength being interior push), so this is more something to note than a complaint. 

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I havent seen them show any real ability to cover the ground. Texas hasnt really been tested deep much this year, but I can not remember seeing a Safety in position when they have. 

Being in the right position is more important than the ability to cover ground. It would be great to be able to do both, but we don't have that at safety right now.

Just now, Bevo said:

Being in the right position is more important than the ability to cover ground. It would be great to be able to do both, but we don't have that at safety right now.

Agree. That is probably the #1 reason we are not seeing Crawford and why I am disappointed. He probably isnt reliable on a play to play basis. 

16 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I quite like Thompson and Cook so far, but I do hope that Crawford can improve to take Cook's spot next year

One thing that I don't have a strong opinion on but that I'm going to pay attention to is the demands that we're placing on the secondary. The defense is using the 'coverage to generate pressure' approach, which is a big ask by itself. Then you add a mobile QB like Harris, and you're asking them to cover for a long time. Like 4-5 seconds when the average release time is 2.5-3. I think the approach makes sense with our personnel (i.e. consistent strength being interior push), so this is more something to note than a complaint. 

I’m not really sure what that phrase even means, but we’re not asking anything crazy out of our secondary so far. The coverages have been pretty standard. 

I think this stems from our DBs playing so far off last year and 9.95ers saying it didn’t give us time to generate a pass rush, which is true but we’ve basically just adjusted to normal secondary coverages this year. Most of the pressure is due to our DL winning up front, not excessive use of press coverage or stuff like heavy blitzing with Cover 0 behind it. 

35 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I think there’s something to that with him, but it’s also hard to attribute every single DL and edge playing clearly better to individual circumstances. 

I think Bo Davis taught them how to play football.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Not really. A lot of it was game planning and pressure. Like said the secondary was caught on 2 big plays by UTSA, luckily one was wiped out

Bad take.  First off, we shut down former Heisman winner Bryce Young, arguably the best QB in the nation.  Ford had a sack on a well-called blitz, but the vast majority of the pressure we got on Young was from tight coverage.  The guy had nowhere to go with the ball.  There’s no way we accomplish that without good safety play.

Both players you’re referring to during UTSA were on Ryan Watts, he clearly got burned man to man on the long completion wiped out by a flag.  On the trick play, he’s the closest guy to the receiver.  There was a safety trailing right behind Watts who may have blown an assignment there, but it’s difficult to tell.

Through 3 games, our safeties have played very well.  Claiming they are “untested” is bullshit, I don’t know how to test a secondary if going against a former Heisman winner isn’t it.  Claiming they’re doing well because of the pass rush is bullshit because the coverage is creating a lot of the pressure we’re getting, not the other way around.  And claiming it’s just “game planning” is bullshit because no matter how much you game plan, the players still have to execute.  And our safeties have executed.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Both players you’re referring to during UTSA were on Ryan Watts, he clearly got burned man to man on the long completion wiped out by a flag.  On the trick play, he’s the closest guy to the receiver.  There was a safety trailing right behind Watts who may have blown an assignment there, but it’s difficult to tell.

It was Jamison who was burned for the TD wiped because of illegal procedure.

I like the way Watts plays though. He's aggressive....I'd rather give up a PI like he did than give up a 40 yard touchdown or play

Edited by BurntOrange&White

6 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Bad take.  First off, we shut down former Heisman winner Bryce Young, arguably the best QB in the nation.  Ford had a sack on a well-called blitz, but the vast majority of the pressure we got on Young was from tight coverage.  The guy had nowhere to go with the ball.  There’s no way we accomplish that without good safety play.

Through 3 games, our safeties have played very well.  Claiming they are “untested” is bullshit, I don’t know how to test a secondary if going against a former Heisman winner isn’t it.  Claiming they’re doing well because of the pass rush is bullshit because the coverage is creating a lot of the pressure we’re getting, not the other way around.  And claiming it’s just “game planning” is bullshit because no matter how much you game plan, the players still have to execute.  And our safeties have executed.

Lot of Kool-aid in here and I will simply say, we shall see

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It was Jamison who was burned for the TD wiped because of illegal procedure.

My bad, I remembered it being Watts but the point still stands, it was man to man coverage and a corner got burned, can’t blame that on bad safety play.

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Lot of Kool-aid in here and I will simply say, we shall see

Don’t get me wrong, I recognize we have limitations at safety.  Cook doesn’t have recovery speed and Thompson is still undersized for a safety.  But they’re light years ahead of where they were last year in terms of lining up correctly, recognizing motion and assignment hand-offs, positioning, and run support.  And the results reflect that.

11 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

My bad, I remembered it being Watts but the point still stands, it was man to man coverage and a corner got burned, can’t blame that on bad safety play.

Don’t get me wrong, I recognize we have limitations at safety.  Cook doesn’t have recovery speed and Thompson is still undersized for a safety.  But they’re light years ahead of where they were last year in terms of lining up correctly, recognizing motion and assignment hand-offs, positioning, and run support.  And the results reflect that.

Looking at the play again I'd bet this was blown by the safety and Jamison is just playing catch up. Looking at them on the wide side of the field with the motion coming across I bet we were in quarters on this side. Safety should have gone with the motion receiver on the pump n go....

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?