TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

Card was impacted by the lack of pass pro in the early drives. Once that happened he started panicking quickly and that caused him to make a ton of bad plays.

Couple that with insane play calling. For example, it was clearly established early on that they were selling out to stop bijon and that our pass pro couldn’t handle their pass rush. Typically we could counter with screens and quick routes hitting behind the rush, out of shotgun. But instead we countered with running in first down and running plays that required us to block.

Put that together and we have a real shit show. He should have out in casey as soon as card started panicking. It’s not like card is some established starter where putting in casey would mean card is done at about for Texas. Card barely won the slot, so the decision between the two was tough, he knows that, casey has more experience and could have provided some juice. Would have been better than just doing the same non-working thing over and over and over again. /marshawnlynch.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

If Sark continues to start Card, he will lose the rest of this team. Those guys have eyes, they know who played better just like us. 

I have a feeling this is a big reason the second half defense meltdown. I mean, what’s the point of giving it all when we just trot out card again. 

I'm team Casey at this point. That said, I don't get the "Card sucks, Casey rules" takes. I still have high hopes for Card. He's just not ready yet. Most red-shirt freshman aren't. As good as Casey has played when given the chance, he only has one game of experience to date - a half against Colorado, a quarter against ULL, and a quarter plus against Arkansas. I don't know if he's the answer, but I'd like to find out. Casey should start, but we still need to get Card snaps. I suspect both guys will get better with actual game experience.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, 28jcollins said:

I'll just say, I never understood starting Card.. But I just assumed the coaches saw something that we didn't.

Casey deserved to be next man up all along IMO.

This was my thought as well. I questioned the decision to go with Card but since I’m not the head coach nobody gave a shit about my question. 

A head coach playing to win last night has to pull Card way earlier than he was. It was obvious he didn’t have it last night. Hell the first drive was already troubling. 

At this point it doesn't even matter who the best QB is anymore. It matters who is the best qb that can operate with this particular OL

Same for game plan and play calling. It all comes down to figuring out the weakest link in execution and designing everything around preventing that from killing you. You don’t take your weakest link and make it the tip of the spear…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, 28jcollins said:

Some players handle their OL folding all around them better than others.

Well right now with a line full of women Casey is better, we can agree on that. Card may be better with a better o-line, but if we plan on recruiting better we gotta go with the guy who can scramble, and doesn't over think. Mentally, Casey is like 21-22, and Card is like 19. That's a big difference, and Casey has seen a lot of games. He may not be the long-term answer, but short term is what we need currently  

8 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Well I mean Casey will portal it and get out, even if that's a bad decision at this point.

Frankly I wouldn’t blame him if he did.

I was all aboard the Sark train until he named Card the starter. Doubts arose. But hey I’m not paid to make those decisions so hope it works out and he must know something I don’t. But if it truly was an even battle then you go with the guy who has at least some experience. At least if you are planning on winning right away. 

Now those doubts have turned to a harsh reality that he picked the wrong starter and then stuck with him way too long last night. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Card won the job based on potential and the offense that Sark wants to run. Sark has to decide is running your system and showing recruits what you want to do more important than winning games right now. Card more likely is the future but for this team to make the most out of what they have they need to play Casey and build the game plan around what he does well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This is borderline dumbassery.

He was fine versus Louisiana. Impressive is placing undue praise. Versus Colorado he was on point no doubt but in 11 throws he threw a pick (only not cause the dude flat dropped it). When a dude lights it up for a half, that’s a bit disingenuous when Sam had many, many moments of greatness.

I’d start him.

I said Casey looked better than sam in the bowl game, not that he was a better qb.   Stats prove I’m right.  But I know stats are for losers, herman was sabotaging sam and Colorado was already tired?70CFF399-DA6C-4BB0-8143-01572A5F70C7.thumb.png.fb96b9e7d01433a48e16f4fdb7691aac.png

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Llogg said:

If I'm Sark, I start the younger player this year even if I know he's not better than the older guy because I know I don't have to win the next 2 years as long as I win in years 3 and 4.

What’s another 7 win season on the ledger right?   Start Casey now and bring card along.  Both will likely end up playing a bit.  Deliberately playing the guy that’s not ready?   Remember Herman burned up his equity ina hurry.  Don’t do the same Sark.  Year 1 counts too

10 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Card won the job based on potential and the offense that Sark wants to run. Sark has to decide is running your system and showing recruits what you want to do more important than winning games right now. Card more likely is the future but for this team to make the most out of what they have they need to play Casey and build the game plan around what he does well. 

This seems correct to me. Card is a Freshman, you have to expect Freshman games especially with this OL shitshow and WR drops. He has more upside and is probably the better player now if/when the OL/WRs play well. The problem is that Sark can't run his offense when the OL can't pass pro or run block. Because of that, Casey might need to be the guy until improvements are made up front.

Let's also remember that Rattler sucked balls early last year too and got benched vs UT. 1 year later he's a Heisman front-runner. DJ U sucked balls against UGA this year. He'll recover. It's not unusual for very talented Fr QBs to struggle, especially when the OL sucks and there's no run game to help out. All that to say, let's not give up on Card (most here aren't). 

Just now, closetohumping said:

What’s another 7 win season on the ledger right?   Start Casey now and bring card along.  Both will likely end up playing a bit.  Deliberately playing the guy that’s not ready?   Remember Herman burned up his equity ina hurry.  Don’t do the same Sark.  Year 1 counts too

Except it doesn't. Outside of crimes of moral turpitude he's not getting fired after one year.

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He wants to show recruits how to suck shit through a straw?

Exactly this. Fuck these hard headed coaches.  No need to fit square pegs in round holes.  mould the offense overtime until you get the players you want.   No need to burn it all down. 

Edited by Xian
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

we're going around 8-4 with either qb

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This seems correct to me. Card is a Freshman, you have to expect Freshman games especially with this OL shitshow and WR drops. He has more upside and is probably the better player now if/when the OL/WRs play well. The problem is that Sark can't run his offense when the OL can't pass pro or run block. Because of that, Casey might need to be the guy until improvements are made up front.

Let's also remember that Rattler sucked balls early last year too and got benched vs UT. 1 year later he's a Heisman front-runner. DJ U sucked balls against UGA this year. He'll recover. It's not unusual for very talented Fr QBs to struggle, especially when the OL sucks and there's no run game to help out. All that to say, let's not give up on Card (most here aren't). 

There's sucking against a team layered with 5 star talent and there's sucking against a team that averages 2 SEC wins per year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

There's sucking against a team layered with 5 star talent and there's sucking against a team that averages 2 SEC wins per year. 

That's on our OL and WRs for getting dominated by the 2 win team just as badly as Clemson's did vs. UGA. Card and DJ were put in the same situation.

Maybe Casey is the better option, but I’m not convinced that’s clear

He scored in garbage time against the backups and one of those scores was thanks to a dumb penalty on 3rd down

Our playcalling SUCKED when Card was in. Run every first down, pass every second down. 

Edited by MotownHorn

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

He scored in garbage time against the backups and one of those scores was thanks to a dumb penalty on 3rd down

Well maybe we run him out against Rice and Tech to find out. We already saw what Card couldn't do against a properly motivated opponent. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

One interesting thing I noticed was when Card got tackled after the whistle on a low hit our offensive line didn’t react at all to the defender but Thompson got hit late when he came in and one of the offensive linemen actually reacted to the hit on Thompson.

Did anyone else notice?

Didn't notice, but I mentioned before that every game Casey plays, the announcers make a point to mention how much the players love playing for Casey.  It might just be because Casey brings more energy to the huddle while Card is quiet/keeps to himself on the sideline, but Casey comes off as the more likeable teammate that the team puts in a little extra bit of effort for.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Llogg said:

If I'm Sark, I start the younger player this year even if I know he's not better than the older guy because I know I don't have to win the next 2 years as long as I win in years 3 and 4.

Not saying I would do this but I always thought that that was what Sark was doing. 

When the other team can get pressure and stop the run while routinely dropping eight into coverage, you’re going to get stomped. I don’t know if it would have made much of a difference who was playing QB, although I’m surprised he didn’t try Casey coming out of the half to just shake things up if anything. 

It’s bewildering that Sark has abandoned RPOs, which would have punished Arky’s run supporters. Can neither QB execute these plays?  What’s going on?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Our playcalling SUCKED when Card was in. Run every first down, pass every second down. 

They had starters on for the last series.  They wanted so bad to keep us out of the end zone.   We ran three straight handoffs and they stuffed it.  We only scored there because Casey was in the game. He got the same shitty play calls.  

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Yeah. Imagine if the head coach had put him in when it might have made a difference. Mensa

• Hook 'Em 1

**Against tired defenses that aren't trying?

The obvious solution then is to never let him face fresh defenses that are trying.

Keeping Casey on the bench with his production and the starter struggling makes sense if the starter is an established player with skins on the wall. When the starter is the younger option whose only accomplishment is looking decent(?) in practice against the same defense that just gave up 40 to Tyrone Swoopes of the Ozarks… well that’s the type of preordained, golden boy shit that divides locker rooms.

(Also, I hate to bring it up and I know this played no role in the decision, but there’s an obvious racial angle that opposing coaches are gonna use against us if Casey continues to not get opportunities.)
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The obvious solution then is to never let him face fresh defenses that are trying.

Keeping Casey on the bench with his production and the starter struggling makes sense if the starter is an established player with skins on the wall. When the starter is the younger option whose only accomplishment is looking decent(?) in practice against the same defense that just gave up 40 to Tyrone Swoopes of the Ozarks… well that’s the type of preordained, golden boy shit that divides locker rooms.

(Also, I hate to bring it up and I know this played no role in the decision, but there’s an obvious racial angle that opposing coaches are gonna use against us if Casey continues to not get opportunities.)

That was mentioned in the summer and it seemed interesting hearing Jeffrey McCullough say at Texas certain players are going to play….

• Hook 'Em 3