TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

I do agree that Card is playing robotic -- in high school he would have tucked it and run a lot more this past Saturday.

Inexperience and maybe trying too hard to please SARK by not running seemed obvious.  Don't think that's a successful offensive plan this year with problems on O-line...

Yep

Everyone needs to put things in perspective and have some patience with Hudson. Casey might be the better option right now, idk, but it's idiotic to write off Card completely (most of you aren't doing that, but still). This type of impatience and shortsightedness is fucking toxic in the era of social media.
Card was in his 2nd game ever, after a redshirt year where he didn't even get 2nd string reps, learning a brand new system, in a very hostile environment, with WR drops, shit pass pro and shit run game. 
Give him time. Sark is a QB mastermind and Card has the tools. Most of the issues yesterday were related to inexperience (pocket presence, going through progressions) and were exacerbated by the lack of help around him. Maybe he needs some time at backup until he gets more comfortable in the offense, but he still has a very bright future. 

That all may be true….but it is also true that after a Spring Game and two regular season games, he is far from “as advertised.” He hasn’t shown a single play, or even a flash, of anything that exceeds “ordinary” in any of those opportunities (save maybe the TD to Brewer).

The days of a guy “learning” how to play QB in college are ancient history. Guys like Card have been primed for this since they were 10 years old. Year round camps. Skills development. Nutrition. Big stage High School….the 4+ star RS Freshman of today is past decades Junior.

And if all that about “needing time” is true…then fine…work this year and next on whatever he needs yo do that he can come in and kick ass in 2023.
  • Hook 'Em 4

The Arky DC simply has Sarks number. Last year he made Sark look bad when he had the bama O Line , WR's etc. Bama was just too strong for Arky, but Arky held them to 1/2their normal offensive production, and 1/2 their yds per play average.

Our run game sucked because our RBs were being gang tackled in the back field. Our passing game sucked because it simply sucks anyway, but the constant pressure by 3 or 4 man rush allowed Arky to drop 7 or 8 into coverage.

Even with all that we had at least 4 times when our receivers were open and Card either missed them or they dropped the ball. It was a total team effort. Hell, even the water boy/girl ought to be running laps....

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Xian said:

Woah. Didn’t notice who posted that. 

seems like the team really loves Casey 

Actually, I find it to be kind of funny.....I'm as diehard (and old) as anyone around here, and maybe it's because Simms as #2 is burned into my memory, but I had forgotten that they were No.'s 11 and 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, 6th Street said:

The announcer kept pointing out how Card's passes were floating to the right 

50 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Give him time. Sark is a QB mastermind and Card has the tools. Most of the issues yesterday were related to inexperience (pocket presence, going through progressions) and were exacerbated by the lack of help around him. Maybe he needs some time at backup until he gets more comfortable in the offense, but he still has a very bright future. 

34 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

The days of a guy “learning” how to play QB in college are ancient history. Guys like Card have been primed for this since they were 10 years old. Year round camps. Skills development. Nutrition. Big stage High School….the 4+ star RS Freshman of today is past decades Junior.

The 3 straight long passes that floated right are what are really concerning me about Card.  I can understand the nervousness, slow progressions, even the fumble.  But how does someone who has been a quarterback for years not understand that you need to compensate for ball rotation on long throws 3 times in a roll?  Has he never thrown a long pass before?  Has non of his coaches explained that to him before?  How does that happen to a highly ranked QB recruit?

I do agree that Card is playing robotic -- in high school he would have tucked it and run a lot more this past Saturday.
Inexperience and maybe trying too hard to please SARK by not running seemed obvious.  Don't think that's a successful offensive plan this year with problems on O-line...

If Card tucks it and runs he will be obliterated over the course of the season.

Back in the Spring, the discussion was what type of oline we could field - big maulers or finesse pass protectors. Flood wanted the big maulers. I thought he chose poorly back then and was shocked to see Okafor in the lineup and playing a new position.

Sark went with Card. I was surprised we went with Card over Thompson because we are not in a rebuild. Casey clearly is more mature physically and more dangerous in the open field. He can also make throws.

Longterm, I think we need an offense that doesnt rely on superhuman effort from the QB. But with the shit we have seen in both games on the oline, thats not happening with the personnel we have this season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

If Card tucks it and runs he will be obliterated over the course of the season.

Back in the Spring, the discussion was what type of oline we could field - big maulers or finesse pass protectors. Flood wanted the big maulers. I thought he chose poorly back then and was shocked to see Okafor in the lineup and playing a new position.

Sark went with Card. I was surprised we went with Card over Thompson because we are not in a rebuild. Casey clearly is more mature physically and more dangerous in the open field. He can also make throws.

Longterm, I think we need an offense that doesnt rely on superhuman effort from the QB. But with the shit we have seen in both games on the oline, thats not happening with the personnel we have this season.

We’re not talking power run game types of runs. Just take off when your reads aren’t there, slide to avoid being hit, and move the chains. He has a really bad tendency to run horizontal when there are lanes because he’s trying too hard to look down field to pass when he has 10-15 yards of open grass in front. That is causing defenders to be able to close on him and limit gains. 

• Hook 'Em 4

We’re not talking power run game types of runs. Just take off when your reads aren’t there, slide to avoid being hit, and move the chains. He has a really bad tendency to run horizontal when there are lanes because he’s trying too hard to look down field to pass when he has 10-15 yards of open grass in front. That is causing defenders to be able to close on him and limit gains. 

Card does not have the vision to take off running throughout each game and he’s slight. He needs a solid oline and downfield threats. Its not there. We need to retreat and put Casey in as the starter, because the plan is not working.

We need a QB that can negotiate open space quickly and decisively. Thats not Card. He’s not a statue, but he’s got more Derp than Colt.

9 minutes ago, YissBoy said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the right call.  Glad to know our coach isnt stubborn.  Card just needs time to learn.  Not writing him off yet, hes fucking 19 years old.  He has plenty of time and a ton of stuff to learn about the game at this level.  He can still be the future of the program without feeding him to the wolves and destroying his confidence.

Lets fucking rock, Casey.  Time to show the world whats up. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The fact that Sark wasted no time naming Casey as the new starter says a lot about Card's performance Saturday. Sark clearly watched the film and didn't like what he saw.

I still think Card will be a baller over time. Just needs more experience

It's also a MAJOR departure from how our previous two coaches operated, in a good way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The fact that Sark wasted no time naming Casey as the new starter says a lot about Card's performance Saturday. Sark clearly watched the film and didn't like what he saw.

I still think Card will be a baller over time. Just needs more experience

His PFF grade was putrid, so I imagine his performance does not look good at all on film.  Good on Sark to set his ego aside and do what's best for his team to win this season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Card should have been the backup to Casey anyway. Card has all the potential, but he needs to learn just as Casey did. Casey has balls of steel and has shit to prove. 

Card probably is the better practice player because of his natural tools but yeah the inexperience came out on gameday. He needs time to get more comfortable in the pocket and running the offense. Some extra time observing should be good for him. Casey doesn't have much non-garbage game tape either but seems to be a gamer, so could def be the better option now.

Considering all that, not too surprising Sark chose Card initially. I'm actually a little surprised he didn't make Rice basically a 50/50 open competition game and keep Card as starter one more week to restore some confidence, but Casey probably the right choice for now.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, elguapo said:

It's the right move to make the switch right now, I'm glad Sark didn't wait. I also think Casey should remain the starter for the remainder of the season unless he just completely blows it, can't keep flip flopping on these guys.

So QB is the one position where a guy should just be able to be pretty damn bad all season? This is silly.

Card got replaced as he should have. If Thompson plays poorly then he should be up for replacement as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT went all in on Card, said it in the 2021 thread. So now he’s playing bad and that NIL announcement immediately after I don’t think there is a way to get non biased QB information from them. 

-Card has played 1 great game & awful one

Son of a bitch.....I missed a game?

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Casey won. Best-case scenario for him, even better than winning the job to start the season. Maybe even Sark is breathing a sigh of relief because this makes things clearer for him with less potential for drama down the road. Let Hudson Card get sacrificed in the Arkansas game (which was gonna be tough for any QB...Casey looked good but keep in mind a lot of it was garbage time when the defense was already protecting a 2-3 TD lead).

Now Casey has two easier games in front of him and the fanbase is down on Card so he might be out of the picture in 2021. 

Edited by Juke_Em

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So QB is the one position where a guy should just be able to be pretty damn bad all season? This is silly.

Card got replaced as he should have. If Thompson plays poorly then he should be up for replacement as well. 

So you think flip flopping on starting QBs throughout the season is a winning strategy? Maybe if Casey struggles in a game we should give Wright a shot since we've already seen Card isn't ready?

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

So you think flip flopping on starting QBs throughout the season is a winning strategy? Maybe if Casey struggles in a game we should give Wright a shot since we've already seen Card isn't ready?

Nobody's spot should be guaranteed, QB included. Bunch of OL need to be benched and prob some changes on DL as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, 6th Street said:

Nobody's spot should be guaranteed, QB included. Bunch of OL need to be benched and prob some changes on DL as well.

I never said his spot should be guaranteed, but I also don't think starting QBs should be swapped out every time your guy struggles. If Casey shits the bed then sure make the switch back.

22 hours ago, futureman said:

Charles Wright played behind a shit OL in high school and made plays all over the field constantly running for his life. he’s a gamer and a lifetime Longhorn. he will bleed for the program until it kills him. seriously, he deserves a shot. 

..and you deserve a fist in the ass.  this is D1 football.  no one deserves shit.  you earn it!

• Like 1

We need to get Whittington over his dropsies. He is a star in the making. The dude gets open and works like an RB with the ball in his hands. Needs about 10 targets a game. He’s the guy that can open up the run game too.

The Oline may not have been good, but we missed on big play after big play. Hit two of those and it’s a different game. It was 23-7 late 3rd when the 4th down happened. If we’re sitting at 23-17 there, who knows where it goes. The Oline was not the issue in the 2nd half. That doesn’t mean they were great, but they had found some footing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1