TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

It seems like Card doesn’t have good football instincts. In the first quarter against ULaLa it was 3rd and 7ish and he broke the pocket and could have easily gone for 10+ by just running straight up the field. Instead he turned parallel to the LOS at about 5 yards and got in a foot race towards the sideline with a couple of defenders. He made it in this case, but it just seems like he doesn’t see obvious plays when they’re there.

He is also solely responsible for 3 missed TD throws and arguably a 4th TD on the turnover. After that play, they zoomed in on Sark’s face and he asked someone through the headset “was there pressure or something?” Card has no pocket presence and just looks unnatural moving around with the ball.

It should have been Casey's job to lose. Two years more experience and development is an advantage...especially if we're talking about just year 1 of a new coaching staff and system. 

Starting a freshman/RS QB is not ideal unless you have a really great team around him already and/or he is an elite recruit/prospect. Ehlinger started for 4 years so that QBs like Casey could afford to sit and not be rushed onto the field. Even if you like Card better long-term, it is better to have Casey get through the next 1-2 years so that Card can sit and develop before being expected to take over. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Looks like a whisper campaign that Thompson has an attitude problem has started....Last week he was a locker room cancer, this week he's showing up late and 'doing himself no favors" off the field. 

Fuck. Just what we need. I had a feeling that dude wasn't going to just say ok I'll have to keep proving myself. That's great that he's being a bitch (allegedly). 

• Like 1

I am really hesitant to crown a guy who came in and had success when the game was already out of reach, and QB play was not the reason we lost tonight, but I’d give Casey the start against Rice and Tech. Karic and Conner need to get some run as starters on the O-line as well. 

Sadly, I’m not sure we have anyone better waiting in the wings on D  

• Hook 'Em 1

Current QB controversy kind of reminds me of David Ash vs Case McCoy. One has better measurables and probably a better long term upside, while the other has more "moxie" but not as much as arm strength. Both QBs that we have on the roster right now appear to be better than those two, but it seems like it's in part a similar dilemma.

Casey should at least get a chance to start, but I have a feeling that Sark's pride gets in the way and he sticks with Card.

Just now, Duane Moore said:

I am really hesitant to crown a guy who came in and had success when the game was already out of reach, and QB play was not the reason we lost tonight, but I’d give Casey the start against Rice and Tech. Karic and Conner need to get some run as starters on the O-line as well. 

Did we watch the same game?  QB is main reason we lost. 

defense sucked, but was holding its own the first half before running out of gas 

card was a complete disaster. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Sark should have played him about a quarter and half earlier is my biggest gripe

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It should have been Casey's job to lose. Two years more experience and development is an advantage...especially if we're talking about just year 1 of a new coaching staff and system. 
Starting a freshman/RS QB is not ideal unless you have a really great team around him already and/or he is an elite recruit/prospect. Ehlinger started for 4 years so that QBs like Casey could afford to sit and not be rushed onto the field. Even if you like Card better long-term, it is better to have Casey get through the next 1-2 years so that Card can sit and develop before being expected to take over. 

Thats where I was at.

Just now, TX Wing Fan said:

Current QB controversy kind of reminds me of David Ash vs Case McCoy. One has better measurables and probably a better long term upside, while the other has more "moxie" but not as much as arm strength. Both QBs that we have on the roster right now appear to be better than those two, but it seems like it's in part a similar dilemma.

Casey should at least get a chance to start, but I have a feeling that Sark's pride gets in the way and he sticks with Card.

Ummm... Ash had actual brain damage.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

there's no fucking way in hell it was going to be anyone's job to lose when no one had run Sark's offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Xian said:

defense sucked, but was holding its own the first half before running out of gas 

Seriously. I will put some blame on the offensive playcalling in the first half and the shitty OL play when we tried to run the ball. But Card was a frozen child out there. 

1 minute ago, Xian said:

You think there's one "main reason" we lost that game? Pass protection was bad. Run blocking was bad. WRs were bad. QBs couldn't throw. We couldn't tackle. Our secondary got beat. Our defensive line got mauled. We played undisciplined. Our game planning and coaching was bad. 

Casey has earned the start going forward, but we didn't lose that game because of Hudson: we lost that game because we were awful.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Xian said:

This.. 

7-3 last year and rice and ku got cancelled.  Do the math.  Andover of his losses was because he didn’t sub ingram out. Another. Anime overtime loss to the thieves.  First year staff with covid?   Don’t get me wrong fucj face had to go as recruiting went south but he was going to be 9-3 with a brand new staff.