TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

16 hours ago, immamac said:

Who was his coach? 

Yeah it was Strong but I'm glad you brought that up. Here's what I'll call Exhibit 2:

image.thumb.png.03616333a78ec5eb8b0afbc5186964bf.png

Again, I know it's different. I think the pieces are in place for Card to be successful here in a way that they weren't for GG--for one, Greg Davis won't be calling his plays. But when it's multiple blue chip QB recruits across about 9,001 offensive coordinators and multiple head coaching regimes that didn't pan out in the last decade, I just want to see what he can do before I declare him our next savior.

Edited by touchthemonolith
  • Like 2

Cross-posting.... Thx for this @BurntOrange&White 

Gerry Hamilton - Todd Dodge on Hudson Card

Austin Westlake head coach Todd Dodge has watched Hudson Card up close for years. Probably more than anyone outside of Lake Travis head coach Hank Carter and Card’s quarterback instructor.

Card even attended the Todd Dodge Football Camp as a middle schooler when he lived in Cypress prior to moving to Austin.

With Card’s first college start just 30 hours away, Inside Texas caught up with Dodge to get his thoughts on the Longhorns starter.

“I’ve always been a fan of his game. His versatility. As a sophomore, Hank (Carter) played Hudson at wide receiver. That’s what I did with two of my really good quarterbacks at Southlake – Chase Daniel and Riley (Dodge). They were too good of players to not play on varsity. Then transition for two years as starting quarterbacks. That’s what Hudson did. I think sometimes, a lot of people that don’t really follow that think he was a guy that was moved to quarterback his last two years of high school,”

There isn’t a throw Card can’t make according to Dodge.

“I’ve alway been really impressed with his overall game. I’ve been impressed with his ability to throw from in the pocket, off schedule, moving the pocket for him, RPO game, back should fade in games, just throwing the pure deep ball and seam throws. Him and the kid I have right now, Cade Klubnik, remind me a lot of each other. Both could use weight as the move along, but both very twitchy,”

Dodge sees Card’s versatility as a great fit in Steve Sarkisian’s scheme.

“My first impression of Coach Sark has been a very favorable one being a high school coach and former player at Texas. He’s a tremendous, tremendous play caller. When you have a guy as versatile as Hudson Card, he fits a play caller. You don’t limit yourself or ideas with what you want to do with a quarterback as versatile as Hudson. I believe it’s going to be a great fit. The one thing I have noticed watching Steve Sarkisian is he puts his quarterback in position to complete a whole lot of passes.”

Cody Daniel: Initial thoughts from No. 21 Texas’ 38-18 win over No. 23 Louisiana

Hudson Card looked composed, impressive in starting debut. After an early 1-4 start for just nine yards, Card settled in as QB1 started to take command of the offense within his role. Save for a 34-yard strike to Xavier Worthy and a 41-yard catch and run from Jordan Whittington, Card didn’t light it up downfield, but that’s actually a key part of what made his debut performance noteworthy. He didn’t force the issue and try to prove he was Texas’ true starting quarterback, but rather, he worked check-downs and crossing routes and delivered crisp, accurate passes to move the chains, and generally just took what the defense gave him. The results, of course, were especially favorable. Following that first three-and-out, Card quarterbacked what should have been five consecutive scoring drives — save to Cameron Dicker’s missed field goal — to provide Texas with a 28-12 cushion before Casey Thompson took his place towards the end of the third quarter. Not to mention, he utilized his legs for a key fourth down conversion to spark Texas’ first touchdown, and later ran one in of his own from three yards out, all while taking care of the ball and committing no turnovers. All told, Card capped an encouraging debut as the starter by completing 14-of-21 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns.

After replacing Card towards the end of the third quarter, Casey Thompson completed 4-of-5 attempts for 41 yards and a touchdown to Whittington.

A healthy Jordan Whittington is a good Jordan Whittington. After entering the season with just 223 career receiving yards, Whittington got off to a great start, grabbing seven passes for a career-best 113 yards and one touchdown. But beyond the raw numbers, Whittington appeared to become Card’s security blanket early, snagging two first-down catches on a 3rd and 12 and a 3rd and 9 that allowed Texas to take a 14-3 lead, and later exploding for a 41-yard catch and run on 3rd and 11 that set up a Robinson touchdown run two plays later. A single game is such a small sample size, but the talent has always been there for the former five-star prospect. Now that he’s healthy, it appears he’s going to be a big factor.

Other general notes:

Between Card and Thompson, Texas passed for 265 yards and three touchdowns without an interception.

Good QB play for first game... 🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

Ian Boyd... "Fantastic opener for Hudson Card"

The Texas O-line also had some issues early in pass protection. Nothing surprising, particularly in Week 1 with new schemes, but they weren’t playing clean early and Card saw a lot of pressure. He took a few sacks but also completed 14-21 passes for 224 yards at 10.2 ypa with two touchdown passes and zero interceptions. As the wise adage goes on quarterback play, pick two of the following three outcomes, high YPA numbers, low sack rate, low interception rate. You can’t achieve all three, either the quarterback is holding onto the ball and taking a sack when things aren’t going great or he’s forcing the ball and risking a turnover.

Card was able to make plays with his feet, scrambling or buying time to find a receiver, on multiple occasions and protected the ball well from turnovers while landing some real shots in the passing game.

His touchdown pass to Cade Brewer was a laser into a tight window, then he also added a touchdown run with his feet on a zone-bluff read play. The Longhorns appeared to be running split zone but Card read the backside end and instead of trapping the end, Cade Brewer lead around the edge for Card on for a score on the keeper read. After removing sack yardage (three sacks), Card had three carries for 13 yards and a touchdown. One of the other carries was a successful conversion on 4th-and-six when Card scrambled.

Thompson was also sharp, going 4-5 with 41 yards at 8.2 ypa with a touchdown pass when he hit Jordan Whittington on a bubble screen off split zone (again!) and J-Whitt overpowered a worn down Cajun defense for a touchdown.

Card’s touchdown to Brewer was a fantastic throw!  I’m not sure the last time we had a QB that can make that throw especially with the juice Card put on it.  Also, I may be overcooking this but the TD pass to Bijan was just as beautiful.  Card hit him in perfect stride with a perfect spiral right in his number.  Too often Sam would have thrown that just a tad high making him reach above his head and break stride. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Does this guy actually know anything or is this just another likely fake insider?

Wouldn't be surprised if true though. Putting Casey in for late game handoffs isn't gonna convince him to stay.

Holy fuck, he got in during the third quarter and played the entire fourth. We had a good lead, but it wasn’t trash time. Card could have used the reps, but (apparently) Sarkisian felt it necessary to appease Thompson. Casey played more yesterday than he did in all of the 2020 regular season.

If this bullshit is true, then go ahead and go. He didn’t win the job, and we saw why Card won it yesterday.  We sure as shit don’t need a locker room poison. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Does this guy actually know anything or is this just another likely fake insider?

Wouldn't be surprised if true though. Putting Casey in for late game handoffs isn't gonna convince him to stay.

Hookah Horns (posts on Inside Texas) has provided some pretty good info in the past -- sometimes even before the $9.95ers 

36 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

02E9D078-1A53-4AC2-89BB-271516BA9D2A.jpeg

He’s not the starter. What part of that does he not get? I get that he wants to play, or go somewhere in which he will play, but to leave in middle of season is just dumb IMO. Sark allowed the QB battle to occur, and Casey simply got beat out. It is what it is. Let the season play out and then go elsewhere afterwards. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Even if it's true, I doubt he's going to transfer during the season. That would be completely stupid.

12 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I believe he already has used a redshirt.
 He’d be dumb to leave the team now.  Unless he needs to take lime 21 hours or something to try an graduate in December.  It seems like Sark is serious about getting him PT so just do your job and get some good film.  

He’s already graduated.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I believe he already has used a redshirt.
 He’d be dumb to leave the team now.  Unless he needs to take lime 21 hours or something to try an graduate in December.  It seems like Sark is serious about getting him PT so just do your job and get some good film.  

Looks like 2018 was a redshirt year for Casey although maybe he gets a other year due to COVID allowances???

Definitely have to applaud CT for his great results in academics... 

From Bio on TexasSports.com

A fourth-year quarterback who has played in seven games ... signed with Texas in December 2017 and began classes in January 2018 ... a 2021 watch list candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award … an Academic All-Big 12 First Team member in 2020 ... a six-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (spring 2018, spring 2019, fall 2019, spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021) ... was an all-state honoree who played for Team USA in the 2018 International Bowl.

Edited by LTtxfan
conVINCEd says he's graduated

Kelly Bryant transferred from Clemson, Hurts from Alabama, Murray/Hill from A&M, Fields/Eason from Georgia. Why is this even a topic every year? Guys want to play, you can only have one QB, the guy who loses the job will likely transfer. I don’t understand why this is such a hot topic every year.

Casey is more than capable of winning games. I was even in the camp that thought we should start Casey and then usher in Card. Sark chose right, Casey will be our backup this year, transfer at the end of the year (good luck to him), and next year will be about getting Charles Wright and Maalik Murphy ready to be the backup.

Casey has 2 years of eligibility left whether he throws a tantrum and cleans his locker out today or plays in every game the rest of the season. If he chooses to leave now he is getting really bad advice.

CT has been on the team almost 4 years & has already graduated. Frankly I have no idea why he didn’t transfer when Card won the job. I don’t even think transferring has a character stigma anymore. Murray, Mayfield, Hurts, Fields, Burrow all big name QBs that transferred in recent years. 

• Like 1