TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

That’s the fear with the other guy… 

…if 2nd/3rd hand scrimmage reports are to be believed.

The goal is 15 of 20 for 170 yards 2 TDs, no INTs. Let the RBs & DEF take care of the heavy lifting. 

In 1995…

The latest on Sarkisian's evaluation of the Longhorns' quarterback battle between Card and Thompson

By FUCK CHIP BROWN      9 hours ago

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said Thursday he’s not trying to gain a schematic advantage by not naming a starting quarterback roughly a week before the Longhorns’ season-opener against Louisiana on Sept. 4.

Sarkisian has said his decision to name either redshirt freshman Hudson Card or redshirt junior Casey Thompson as the Longhorns’ starting quarterback will be the toughest call he’s had to make at that position as a head coach.

“None of how we’re operating is trying to create a schematic advantage,” Sarkisian said. “It’s truly about trying to do what’s best for our football team to have success on September fourth.”

Texas began game-planning for Louisiana earlier this week, and the Longhorns are simulating game week right now - right down to a walk-through on Friday and then spending the night at their team hotel before waking up and going to Royal-Memorial Stadium for “a mock game” on Saturday.

Sarkisian said Card and Thompson continue to split reps with the first and second-team offense. The first-year Texas coach was asked if splitting reps could hurt the eventual starter in his preparation for Louisiana?

“We're not trying to reinvent the wheel here in this game plan,” Sarkisian said. “There's a lot of things that we did in camp that are part of this game plan. So, they've gotten plenty of reps on that stuff.

“Now, when the season rolls around, and we get ourselves going, ultimately, there's going to be a guy that'll be kind of the front-line guy, and he'll start to get more of those reps. But going into the opener, no, I'm not as concerned about it.”

According to team sources, Thompson struggled with interceptions early in fall camp, including two in the team’s first scrimmage on Aug. 14. After that scrimmage, Card began going first with the No. 1 offense, while Thompson started off with the second-team offense.

That trend continued into this week with Thompson even splitting some second-team reps with true freshman Charles Wright on Monday and Tuesday.

But sources said as the offense began preparing for the defensive looks the coaches expect from Louisiana on Wednesday, Card was off in practice, missing some checks and motions, struggling with timing and accuracy and seemed to have low energy and bad body language.

Thompson, meanwhile, has had one of his best weeks of practice, sources said, adding that Wright stopped getting reps with the second-team offense after Tuesday’s practice.

In Thursday’s practice, sources said Thompson was sharp, getting the ball out quickly and accurately and leading the offense down the field in two-minute drill, while Card also had a better practice than the day before.

Sarkisian said both quarterbacks have played much better since their struggles in the first scrimmage of fall camp.

“They’ve continued to build - even though the first scrimmage didn’t go the way they wanted it to go - or maybe the way I wanted it to go for them,” Sarkisian said. “But I think it was a good wakeup call for them after having practiced well the first week and then got away from trusting their training and preparation.

“It put them in a place where if they continue to trust their training and preparation, it really doesn’t matter the arena - doesn’t matter if it’s a practice or scrimmage or, ultimately, if it’s a game.

“That’s the biggest thing that’s impressed me the last week and a half is they’ve stuck to their training. They’ve both bought into that idea, and that’s why I think both played really well Saturday (in the second scrimmage of fall camp) and have continued to play well this week.

“So we’ll work ourselves through it and get to the point where we feel good about what we’re going to do next Saturday.”

When asked if he’s concerned that his decision on a starter could cause the other quarterback to seek a transfer, Sarkisian said:

“I can't worry about that,” Sarkisian said. “I have to make decisions that are in the best interests of the entire football organization and our entire team.

“The moment you start worrying about the what-ifs about one player, I think that's when you get hesitant in your decision making and you end up starting to make decisions that aren't in the best interest of your team.

“We've got over 100 players on this team, and not one player can have that much of an impact where you sacrifice the team over one player. So, no, we focus on the team first in everything we do, and that won't be any different when it comes to the quarterback play.”

Didsomebodysay.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Id much rather start with Casey, and if he sucks it up, go to Card.  I think its easier to go from Vet to Rook than the other way around.  Casey has been here, waiting patiently for his turn, and if he doesnt get it, thats gonna rock his confidence a bit and he will 10000% head to the transfer portal.

I just dont see the point in starting with Card if its this dead even.  The nod should go to Casey in that case, let him pass/fail and then move on.  Card has a lot of that "back up qb" lust going on.  And as soon as he starts and Casey leaves, everyone will be clamoring for the guy behind him, like clockwork. 

I trust Sark though.  If he says Card is the better of the 2, then lets ride.  But if reports are to be believed, Id go with Casey first then Card.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Id much rather start with Casey, and if he sucks it up, go to Card.  I think its easier to go from Vet to Rook than the other way around.  Casey has been here, waiting patiently for his turn, and if he doesnt get it, thats gonna rock his confidence a bit and he will 10000% head to the transfer portal.

I just dont see the point in starting with Card if its this dead even.  The nod should go to Casey in that case, let him pass/fail and then move on.  Card has a lot of that "back up qb" lust going on.  And as soon as he starts and Casey leaves, everyone will be clamoring for the guy behind him, like clockwork. 

I trust Sark though.  If he says Card is the better of the 2, then lets ride.  But if reports are to be believed, Id go with Casey first then Card.  

It’s pretty obviously not dead even if they decide to start Card. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

It’s pretty obviously not dead even if they decide to start Card. 

We are like a week away from the first game and the coach hasnt named anyone.  Its dead even.  If Card was a clear front runner, he would have been given the start already.

1 minute ago, DiceHands said:

We are like a week away from the first game and the coach hasnt named anyone.  Its dead even.  If Card was a clear front runner, he would have been given the start already.

Lulz. This is nonsense. There are a ton of reasons not to publicly name a starter right now besides the race being dead even. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

x-posting - Per Nahlin:

Hudson Card was #1 in this morning’s walk-through ahead of tomorrow’s mock game, which is a mock game of the first game.

As far as we know, no starter has officially been declared behind the scenes, but, you know.

If Card is named, we’ve heard zero rumblings of Casey Thompson wanting to transfer. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt that he’d realize it’s in his best interest to see how things transpire on the field.

I remember when Jevan Snead was a 4* ESPN 150 recruit battling 3* Colt for the job, Shane looked better than Sam in practice because he threw a prettier ball, Chris Simms looked every bit the part of an elite QB while Major looked like the opposite, and Vince Young was looking like he was going to be a WR until halfway through the 2004 season.  Some guys have it when the lights come on.

Neither guy has hardly anytime under the lights at the college level at least nothing to make any declaration about the future. What we do know is that we have a Redshirt Junior who is 20-29 for 309 yards 7 TDs (6 passing) in limited action battling a Redshirt Freshman who hasn't done anything other than reports that he looks better in practice. Sarkisian has forgotten more about football than I know, but he better not have any doubt if you roll Card out there to start week 1 because if it blows up, buckle up

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not publicly naming does not mean no decision has been made. Come on man.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wonder if waiting to make if official is a motivation tactic for Sark. Like maybe he's worried Card could get a little too comfortable if handed the reigns and instead wants him to keep competing like he has to win it.

Prob not, but honestly don't know why else he'd be waiting if he has already decided (also truly may not be the case). If anything, I'd want to start getting more reps to the starter by now.

10 hours ago, chase25 said:

I remember when Jevan Snead was a 4* ESPN 150 recruit battling 3* Colt for the job, Shane looked better than Sam in practice because he threw a prettier ball, Chris Simms looked every bit the part of an elite QB while Major looked like the opposite, and Vince Young was looking like he was going to be a WR until halfway through the 2004 season.  Some guys have it when the lights come on.

Neither guy has hardly anytime under the lights at the college level at least nothing to make any declaration about the future. What we do know is that we have a Redshirt Junior who is 20-29 for 309 yards 7 TDs (6 passing) in limited action battling a Redshirt Freshman who hasn't done anything other than reports that he looks better in practice. Sarkisian has forgotten more about football than I know, but he better not have any doubt if you roll Card out there to start week 1 because if it blows up, buckle up

Agree with much of this, but VY never looked like anything but a QB to me.

I do remember some people saying he should be moved to WR or TE. Those people were morons.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, wood said:

Agree with much of this, but VY never looked like anything but a QB to me.

I do remember some people saying he should be moved to WR or QB TE. Those people were morons.

Oops. Fixed. My bad.

Edited by wood

I just dont see the point in starting with Card if its this dead even.  The nod should go to Casey in that case,

Glad you aren’t the coach.

A guy here for four years per your evaluation should get the nod over a guy at the same level that has been here for two. Math is hard. Evaluation is harder. Again, glad you aren’t a coach.

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Glad you aren’t the coach.

A guy here for four years per your evaluation should get the nod over a guy at the same level that has been here for two. Math is hard. Evaluation is harder. Again, glad you aren’t a coach.

Mac Jones and Joe Burrow say hello...? Neither did anything until their Senior years in college. I can go find more if you like. Pretty dumb take right here

I said earlier I thought we should go Casey, and still do to a degree.  But I trust Sark and these coaches.  If Card really is that much better, lets fucking rock baby.

I hope Casey keeps his head high and in the game because chances are we will need him at some point during this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m pretty sure he definitely isn’t happy.  He has been waiting for Sam to leave and after the bowl performance I’m pretty sure he thought he was going to start.  I just really hope he doesn’t transfer because there is a good chance he will be needed at some point.  

I'm glad Hudson won out (assuming he's actually the better player now) just because he's younger and likely has more upside for future years. That said, I like Casey and hope he crushes it wherever he ends up. Hopefully he stays until after this season though

Pitch Thompson the obvious. It was close.  We're going to need you.  Card may get hurt and we will need yiu to be ready. I can do my part to keep your game total to less than four to try to preserve another year of eligibility for you if you like, but I think you'll have a chance to prove I made a mistake and I want to give you as many reps as I can so you are ready if that chance comes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, deech said:

Pitch Thompson the obvious. It was close.  We're going to need you.  Card may get hurt and we will need yiu to be ready. I can do my part to keep your game total to less than four to try to preserve another year of eligibility for you if you like, but I think you'll have a chance to prove I made a mistake and I want to give you as many reps as I can so you are ready if that chance comes. 

We are going to blow everyone out. Just tell Thompson he gets to play after we are up 21 because it'll happen every game. 

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

zero doubt, eh? you should wager something, then. 

i dont think its that big of a risk considering he already tried to transfer once when he saw sam was the cemented starter.  now hes been passed up by a RS freshman after he just threw for like 5 TDs in the last game.