TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Holy fuck, he got in during the third quarter and played the entire fourth. We had a good lead, but it wasn’t trash time. Card could have used the reps, but (apparently) Sarkisian felt it necessary to appease Thompson. Casey played more yesterday than he did in all of the 2020 regular season.

Maybe Sark did so to appease Casey as you put it, but don't discount the notion Sark did it to get Casey valuable reps in case he has to come in and play. Backups are better when engaged and repped than not. Savvy risk management on Sark's part is my take on the matter.

Edit to add: On second reading of your quote, we might actually be saying the same thing.

Edited by sith_horn

6 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Maybe Sark did so to appease Casey as you put it, but don't discount the notion Sark did it to get Casey valuable reps in case he has to come in and play. Backups are better when engaged and repped than not. Savvy risk management on Sark's part is my take on the matter.

Edit to add: On second reading of your quote, we might actually be saying the same thing.

I do think he did it more to keep Thompson relatively happy (he’ll never be completely happy after losing the QB competition), but your point is well taken: getting Casey in the game does help prepare him should he be needed at some point. God knows neither Herman nor Mack did a good job of this. But most starters wouldn’t come out of a game at that moment... was it 28-12? It was a good faith gesture/reward by Sarkisian for CT’s hard work but also an attempt to keep him sated. If this Hookah dude is correct, it apparently wasn’t enough. I fear this developing into a distraction, because there will be games Card does not exit. 

I don’t want Sarkisian spending a second worrying about this shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I do think he did it more to keep Thompson relatively happy (he’ll never be completely happy after losing the QB competition), but your point is well taken: getting Casey in the game does help prepare him should he be needed at some point. God knows neither Herman nor Mack did a good job of this. But most starters wouldn’t come out of a game at that moment... was it 28-12? It was a good faith gesture/reward by Sarkisian for CT’s hard work but also an attempt to keep him sated. If this Hookah dude is correct, it apparently wasn’t enough. I fear this developing into a distraction, because there will be games Card does not exit. 

I don’t want Sarkisian spending a second worrying about this shit. 

If we take Sark at his word for it, he stated when asked about this very subject, that he can't allow concerns about any single player to dictate his decisions over what's best for the team overall (paraphrasing). I didn't think having Casey in the game at that point as too risky or robbing Card of too many reps. Balance out that concern with the fact that Casey is indeed quite capable in his own right and Card started the bulk of the game. A big pet peeve of mine with Mack and Herman was they didn't get backup QB's enough reps.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Yes, 2 years of eligibility due to COVID. He has already redshirted.

There is no advantage to transferring before the end of the season. He cannot play anywhere else now. He cannot save any eligibility. It would be completely irrational.

Has he graduated and if so, can he theoretically play right away?

28 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Has he graduated and if so, can he theoretically play right away?

He has graduated. But you can’t just leave in the middle of the season and enroll in a graduate program somewhere else weeks into class. And I would imagine you can’t play for more than one team in the same season, though I’m not going to bother to look that up at the moment. Not to mention, even if that was possible, where is he going to show up at this point where he has a better chance of playing this fall than here? 

Edited by formermav43

Thx for this @satyanash 

Scipio Tex        QB vs Louisiana 

Hudson Card started slowly with a janky opening possession, got traction, and impressed with his accuracy, zip, and elusiveness. He's ahead of where I thought he'd be, but given Sark's track record of QB tutelage, I shouldn't be surprised. In three quarters, Card was a hyper efficient 14 of 21 for 224 yards, with 2 passing touchdowns and another rushing touchdown. While the ball gets out quickly on his release, I think Hudson may be holding the ball a tick longer than he will be a few games from now. Right now he wants to be sure. Soon, he'll be sure. If you're hunting for a hickey to put on his A- performance, he's responsible for that backside cornerback blitz.

One of the least discussed aspects of good QB play is accuracy and decision making in the red zone. If a coordinator can trust the judgement of their QB down there, it opens things up:

That's the only place that ball can go. Nice catch Brewer, but that's perfect ball placement.

Sark saw exactly what he needed from #1, put him on ice, and then wisely handed the reins to Casey Thompson for a full quarter. Thompson did a nice job managing the offense with a 4 of 5 for 41 yard stat line and a touchdown of his own. Nice little throw stepping up in the pocket for a 1st down as well. Sark progressed the confidence of his young QB, kept his 2nd team QB engaged, and leaves the game knowing he could have shredded a pretty good Cajun pass defense for 350+ if he'd felt like it. 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah. Casey needs to go ahead and leave. I know all about " one injury away " from being the starter.  

All I needed to see was a sideline shot in the 3rd quarter,  shortly before Casey was sent in. 

The shot is Card with a big smile being congratulated. 

And Casey sitting next to him. The prime example of a full body pout.  Dude is gonna be a distraction, if this is gonna be how he deals with being beat out.

Just now, NorLa Horns said:

Yeah. Casey needs to go ahead and leave. I know all about " one injury away " from being the starter.  

All I needed to see was a sideline shot in the 3rd quarter,  shortly before Casey was sent in. 

And Casey sitting next to him. The prime example of a full body pout.  Dude is gonna be a distraction, if this is gonna be how he deals with being beat out.

Pic?

42 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Maybe what you think you saw wasn't really what you saw... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTa_pTCAR8i/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yea I went and rewatched the entire 3rd quarter and saw two shots of the bench with Hudson and neither showed anything of the sort. One shot showed Casey putting on the headset.

Anyone have link to full youtube replay of Texas vs Louisiana??

If so, help a brutha out by posting the link... 

Edited by LTtxfan
damn autocorrect

In 2005, when Texas only beat A&M by 11 on the road after scoring 40, the camera showed a “pouting” VY several times. Meanwhile, Reggie Bush went off late season against UCLA, and Fresno St. That Bush wasn’t in the same stratosphere is irrelevant, it was enough for Kirt Bohls to give the Heisman to Bush. Don’t be like Kirt Bohls.

So, I kind of have myself convinced that Card has the best “arm talent” since Simms and is slightly more athletic and mobile than Colt. If he stays four years he wins a national title, a heisman and sets every passing record in the UT book. 
that’s not too much to extrapolate from 2.5 game quarters as a redshirt frosh, is it?  Too pessimistic?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I thought Casey looked great when he played. Very crisp and you can tell he knows the plays. Kind of a bummer they didn't let him air it out a few times though. Probably would have had sark known Napier was going to be a cunt and call timeouts with under a minute left. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I thought Casey looked great when he played. Very crisp and you can tell he knows the plays. Kind of a bummer they didn't let him air it out a few times though. Probably would have had sark known Napier was going to be a cunt and call timeouts with under a minute left. 

This, we paid them 1.5M to come in a take a beating and then started handing off once CT was let in the game.

Letting him come in for mop up duty isn't going to make him feel any better if we don't keep running the offense.

• Like 2

So, I kind of have myself convinced that Card has the best “arm talent” since Simms and is slightly more athletic and mobile than Colt. If he stays four years he wins a national title, a heisman and sets every passing record in the UT book. 
that’s not too much to extrapolate from 2.5 game quarters as a redshirt frosh, is it?  Too pessimistic?  

Jesus, get a hold of yourself, he’ll win at least three heismans.

Getting a season’s worth of coaching from Steve Sarkisian, whether as the starter or not, is an invaluable asset to Casey’s development as a QB. He’s not going to play anywhere else this season, and would be a fool to transfer purely out of spite and pique. He will be a much better QB for the next team if he stays instead of going home to pout and play XBox all fall. I hope someone he trusts is telling him that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

You would be surprised to find out in any given year a non insignificant amount of players go through what Casey is going through. Every year our coaches manage through it and it’s very rarely resulted in a player transferring or quitting the team during the season. I completely disagree with this take that he is some sort of distraction and needs to leave. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, immamac said:

I was screaming “don’t be a bitch” when that last timeout with lime :20 seconds was called 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If he stays 4 years, he's going to win more than that. He's not staying 4 years unless NIL makes it rain though. Hell, he could be the number 1 pick in the draft after next season.

I feel bad for Casey. He's a great quarterback and has been doing his job as a faithful teammate/backup his entire career, waiting for his turn to shine. To work this hard only to be barely edged out by a younger player must bring a mix of emotions. I'm willing to cut him some slack if he shows some frustration at times.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

rolling eyes unbelivable GIF

Ahh yes, the old "his body language in the half second clip I saw of him tells me EVERYTHING about the situation and CT's character."

Maybe he'd just been told to strap on his helmet & be ready because he was going in next. Maybe he was laser focused on knowing he was going to get his opportunity to play & he was concentrating on all of the coaching & assignments he'd learned over the spring & summer. Maybe he was trying to calm down his internal nerves & not let the moment be too big. Or maybe Kerstetter just crop dusted the whole bench & his nose was full of sweaty o-lineman ass vapor.

CT's future is entirely up to him. He may very well leave if he believe that's his best opportunity to be a starting QB. But up to this point he's pretty much been a model teammate and backup QB, even when the previous brain dead HC tried to kill Ehlinger by using him as a human battering ram for 4 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I feel bad for Casey. He's a great quarterback and has been doing his job as a faithful teammate/backup his entire career, waiting for his turn to shine. To work this hard only to be barely edged out by a younger player must bring a mix of emotions. I'm willing to cut him some slack if he shows some frustration at times.

Not sure "Great QB" description is warranted yet for Casey 

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure "Great QB" description is warranted yet for Casey 

It's all relative, but I've been impressed with everything I've seen from him, and I trust Sark when he says Card and Casey are close. I'm not questioning Sark's decision to start Card over Casey. Just cut the guy a little slack if he's working through some things.

• Hook 'Em 2

This, we paid them 1.5M to come in a take a beating and then started handing off once CT was let in the game.
Letting him come in for mop up duty isn't going to make him feel any better if we don't keep running the offense.
Sark did the appropriate thing to put the game away.

This wasn't turtle Tom, we still played, but there is zero sense airing it out for no reason and risking a TO and quick score by a QB who has had more issues with ints during camp.

As Sark has said multiple times, it's his job to do what's best for the team, not to appease an individual player.

He brought Casey in the game for a significant part of the second half. Casey led a TD drive running the full offense, and then another fg drive. At that point, in that game, there was really only downside to doing anything else.

If Casey doesn't like that, he's putting his pride before the teams best interest. I'm not saying he is, btw, but since a lot are speculating he's pissed about it, that's what it would mean.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

It's all relative, but I've been impressed with everything I've seen from him, and I trust Sark when he says Card and Casey are close. I'm not questioning Sark's decision to start Card over Casey. Just cut the guy a little slack if he's working through some things.

All relative ??  No that's just wrong.

There has been no where near enough play by Casey yet to throw out accolades for him as a "Great QB" 

3 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Great idea. Wish you were handling the roster. Maybe you could have surly posters PM you screenshots of guys on the bench to help with your decision making. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

All relative ??  No that's just wrong.

There has been no where near enough play by Casey yet to throw out accolades for him as a "Great QB" 

Casey's career stats are 24/34 (70%), 7 TD, 0 INT. Call that whatever you want. I'm not interested in getting into a semantic pissing match or trashing someone who bleeds burnt orange.

Again, I'm not saying he should start over Card. 

• Like 3

The narrative of "Casey didn't get to run the full offense" just makes no sense.  Card had 21 attempts in 3 quarters - a whole 7/qtr.  Thompson had 5 attempt in the 4th qtr when we had a significant lead.  Any team with a 3 score lead is going to run more than throw unless Mike Leach is the coach.  CT ran the offense that the game situation dictated.  As many others have pointed out,  he would not have seen the field at all unless we were up by 40 under our previous 3 head coaches - and then he would be handing off to the full back 3x until the punt team came out.  

I believe that CT will be a great teammate this year and perform whenever called upon.  Then portal into a starting job for next season and I'll wish him all the best unless he goes to OU or aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

Casey's career stats are 24/34 (70%), 7 TD, 0 INT. Call that whatever you want. I'm not interested in getting into a semantic pissing match or trashing someone who bleeds burnt orange.

Again, I'm not saying he should start over Card. 

You were wrong, and I politely posted that Casey has not yet earned the accolade of being call a "Great QB".

Welcome to SURLY HORNS where bogus posts are called out...

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

You were wrong, and I politely posted that Casey has not yet earned the accolade of being call a "Great QB".

Welcome to SURLY HORNS where bogus posts are called out...

It's an opinion based on what I've seen. You may disagree with it, but that doesn't make it wrong. I've been posting here longer than you have, so I don't need a lecture on the culture of surly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

It's an opinion based on what I've seen. You may disagree with it, but that doesn't make it wrong. I've been posting here longer than you have, so I don't need a lecture on the culture of surly.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47oz7x6jxollff2fai3s

For the record, I haven't seen enough yet from either Casey or Hudson to call either one a "Great QB" so maybe I'm just an old asshole😋

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Sark did the appropriate thing to put the game away.

This wasn't turtle Tom, we still played, but there is zero sense airing it out for no reason and risking a TO and quick score by a QB who has had more issues with ints during camp.

As Sark has said multiple times, it's his job to do what's best for the team, not to appease an individual player.

He brought Casey in the game for a significant part of the second half. Casey led a TD drive running the full offense, and then another fg drive. At that point, in that game, there was really only downside to doing anything else.

If Casey doesn't like that, he's putting his pride before the teams best interest. I'm not saying he is, btw, but since a lot are speculating he's pissed about it, that's what it would mean.

I disagree, just the fact that you correlate interceptions and airing it out reeks or turtle tom type attitude.

And no there isn't only downside, the backups were in and getting them proper experience running the full offense serves the team well if they ever need to come in and start.

Again suggesting that there is only downside is exactly turtle tom fear driven decisions.

I keep hearing how there is only half a quarter separating time between the two, I am okay with this but keep running the same offense.

21 attempts to 5 attempts with only a half a quarter difference in field time is not the same offense, we've been sold on all gas no brakes and that was not what happened.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, MIkeHoncho said:

The narrative of "Casey didn't get to run the full offense" just makes no sense.  Card had 21 attempts in 3 quarters - a whole 7/qtr.  Thompson had 5 attempt in the 4th qtr when we had a significant lead.  Any team with a 3 score lead is going to run more than throw unless Mike Leach is the coach.  CT ran the offense that the game situation dictated.  As many others have pointed out,  he would not have seen the field at all unless we were up by 40 under our previous 3 head coaches - and then he would be handing off to the full back 3x until the punt team came out.  

I believe that CT will be a great teammate this year and perform whenever called upon.  Then portal into a starting job for next season and I'll wish him all the best unless he goes to OU or aggy. 

I have always been a firm believer of if you bring in backups keep running the offense, you either switch to run heavy or 2nd string but not both.

It's not just Leach who does this BTW, it's Saban, Dabo, and other championship type coaches because it is what prepares the team for any situation that could happen during a season.

Now if someone is up by 40+ then almost everyone does both but that wasn't the situation Saturday.