Lincoln Canceled in SF

Hookah Horns

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Given that "Fran" is derivative of the old Spanish word roughly translating to "fuck", and "Cisco" was slang for "Chinese", and the whole thing translates roughly to "Fuck the Chinese", yeah, that would be a good start.

My translation maybe spotty though.

It's Saint Fuck the Chinese.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

"What did they see? They saw a white man in a puffy jacket and huge mittens, distant not only in his social distancing, but in his demeanor and attire,” Seyer-Ochi wrote, adding, “What did I see? What did I think my students should see? A wealthy, incredibly well-educated and -privileged white man, showing up for perhaps the most important ritual of the decade, in a puffy jacket and huge mittens.

“I don’t know many poor, or working class, or female, or struggling-to-be-taken-seriously folk who would show up at the inauguration of our 46th president dressed like Bernie.”

Prior to the inauguration, Seyer-Ochi had also had her students analyze images from the Jan. 6 riot by supporters of former President Donald Trump at the U.S. Capitol.

“This,” she told her students about the images from that day, “is white supremacy, this is white privilege. It can be hard to pinpoint, but when we see, it, we know it.”

On 1/29/2021 at 9:07 AM, bad_teammate said:

I got banned from TexAgs, how the hell am I reading it here?

Be concerned about things that should concern you.

- Things that impact your life or your community.
- Things that hurt people.

This is neither. You're trying to sell a gossip issue as a real issue.

I see this story, think about it for about 30 seconds and then go on with life. A shoulder shrug is all I can muster for this.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:24 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I think they also canceled Diane Feinstein, not sure what the reasoning was there. 

Just your run-of-the-mill post-woke grasp of fake news history by the self-appointed keepers of evanescent righteousness.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dianne-feinstein-confederate-flag/

The president of the San Francisco School Board gave an interview with a noted bastion of conservative gotcha journalism, The New Yorker. In case you thought that the actual process and debate was more nuanced, coherent, rigorous, and objective than portrayed by the media, she is here to dispel you of that notion. 

On the Q thread @ndawg pointed out the emergence of a certain type of religious zeal among parts of the left in connection with that story, and there's more than a whiff of that here.  You can see some elements of a ritual purification of the community going on, where the process is key as opposed to observed outcomes and causality.  And attempting to bring in objectivity and expertise from outside is not only unwelcome-- it's beside the point.  A chemical analysis of the elements is irrelevant to transubstantiation, and a serious historical analysis is irrelevant to this committee's process of deciding which dead and old people are and are not racist or otherwise impure.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/how-san-francisco-renamed-its-schools?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=onsite-share&utm_brand=the-new-yorker&utm_social-type=earned

You’re talking about the learning of history and its importance. Did the committee want historians to testify? And why or why not?

So, it’s hard for me to answer that question without just pointing to [committee statements that] “they did not want to include historians.” I think that that’s not the process that they created. They included a diverse set of community members, people with a set of experiences that contribute to these discussions, people from different backgrounds who are also educated in their own rights. So I think that was the makeup of the committee.

The reason I bring this up is that some of the historical reasoning behind these decisions has been contested—not so much how we should view the fact that George Washington was a founder of the country and a slave holder but, rather, factual things like Paul Revere’s name being removed for the Penobscot Expedition, which was not actually about the colonization of Native American lands. And so there were questions about whether historians should have been involved to check these things.

I see what you’re saying. So, for me, I guess it’s just the criteria was created to show if there were ties to these specific themes, right? White supremacy, racism, colonization, ties to slavery, the killing of indigenous people, or any symbols that embodied that. And the committee shared that these are the names that have these ties. And so, for me, at this moment, I have the understanding we have to do the teaching, but also I do agree that we shouldn’t have these ties, and this is a way of showing it.

I guess part of the problem is that the ties may not be what the committee said they were. That’s why I brought it up.

So then you go into discrediting the work that they’re doing, and the process that they put together in order to create this list. So when we begin to have these conversations, and we’re pointing to that, and we’re given the reasoning and they’re sharing why they made this choice and why they’re putting it out there, I don’t want to get into a process where we then discredit the work that this group has done.

The reporter goes on to point out some other fairly egregious factual errors and the response comes back basically the same--- that factuality isn't the point, the point is the work that the committee did and that pointing out facts undermines that work.

I’m not quite sure what that means when we are talking about things that did or didn’t happen.

I think what you’re pointing to and what I keep hearing is you’re trying to undermine the work that has been done through this process. And I’m moving away from the idea that it was haphazard.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

That entire interview is worth a read to understand the..ahem..interesting...mindset of that Board. This excerpt was the most sjw woke:

I think a lot of the commentary about the school names is focussed specifically on Lincoln. It seems to be the thing that a lot of people are the most upset about. Do you have any thoughts about Lincoln and how we should view him?

I think that the killing of indigenous peoples and that record is something that is not acknowledged. It’s something that people are now learning about, and due to this process. And so we just have to do the work of that extra learning when we’re having these discussions.

But, beyond that, anything else?

What do you mean?

I’m curious how you view him generally.

I think Lincoln gets more praise than the . . . how can I say this? Yeah. I don’t know. I don’t think that . . . Lincoln is not someone that I typically tend to admire or see as a hero, because of these specific instances where he has contributed to the pain of the decimation of people—that’s not something that I want to ignore. It’s something that I’m learning about and that I know it’s not often spoken about.

"Schools?" Schools? What are "schools?"

Oh, y'all were trying to say "escuelas" but you prefer to use the colonizing patronizing invading language of 19th century slave owners who ginned up a war against the peaceful Republica de Mexico so as to expand their unholy empire farther south and west. I gotcha. I know who you are now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

That entire interview is worth a read to understand the..ahem..interesting...mindset of that Board. This excerpt was the most sjw woke:

I think a lot of the commentary about the school names is focussed specifically on Lincoln. It seems to be the thing that a lot of people are the most upset about. Do you have any thoughts about Lincoln and how we should view him?

I think that the killing of indigenous peoples and that record is something that is not acknowledged. It’s something that people are now learning about, and due to this process. And so we just have to do the work of that extra learning when we’re having these discussions.

But, beyond that, anything else?

What do you mean?

I’m curious how you view him generally.

I think Lincoln gets more praise than the . . . how can I say this? Yeah. I don’t know. I don’t think that . . . Lincoln is not someone that I typically tend to admire or see as a hero, because of these specific instances where he has contributed to the pain of the decimation of people—that’s not something that I want to ignore. It’s something that I’m learning about and that I know it’s not often spoken about.

"Because of these specific instances where he has contributed to the pain of the decimation of people"

What a horribly worded mouthful.

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

I love that this is what qualifies as news again.

yeah, i started reading this thread, realized how few fucks i have to give about some school names in san francisco, and then came to this conclusion. 

if this is what is now news...well, okay. i can live with that, i guess.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

"Schools?" Schools? What are "schools?"

Oh, y'all were trying to say "escuelas" but you prefer to use the colonizing patronizing invading language of 19th century slave owners who ginned up a war against the peaceful Republica de Mexico so as to expand their unholy empire farther south and west. I gotcha. I know who you are now.

I was trying to say Chico Escuela.  Beisbol been berry berry good.

15 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

On the Q thread @ndawg pointed out the emergence of a certain type of religious zeal among parts of the left in connection with that story, and there's more than a whiff of that here.  You can see some elements of a ritual purification of the community going on, where the process is key as opposed to observed outcomes and causality.  And attempting to bring in objectivity and expertise from outside is not only unwelcome-- it's beside the point.  A chemical analysis of the elements is irrelevant to transubstantiation, and a serious historical analysis is irrelevant to this committee's process of deciding which dead and old people are and are not racist or otherwise impure.

I realize you are being a little tongue in (butt)cheek here. And not to break up the kumbaya of similar feelings. But I think many misunderstand identity politics and identitarianism when they believe it is an exclusively left or right phenomenon.  

• Identity politics are activities seeking to advance the interests of a discernible identity group or groups.
  • Identitarianism prefers politics or movements that reduce political issues to issue of identity. 
  • Neither is exclusively a left or right proposition (e.g., white supremacists practice identity politics and are identitarians). 

I do give credit to identitarians for their intersectional analysis, which is fascinating and enlightening. 

As a leftie, I prefer class analysis (the foundation of left politics).

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, i started reading this thread, realized how few fucks i have to give about some school names in san francisco, and then came to this conclusion. 

if this is what is now news...well, okay. i can live with that, i guess.

What if this happened in your community, still no fucks? 

24 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

What if this happened in your community, still no fucks? 

honestly, not many fucks. i objected to them changing manchaca road to menchaca road, but i did not a damn thing about it.

names are important, and they have meaning.  

and yes, the californians are hand wringing a bit about things. but i guess i went to a high school that was named after the city, and we had a generic cat mascot, so maybe my sentimentality is at about 0 for this shit. 

saying that, i am 100% behind taking down of confederate monuments. never understood venerating losers and traitors.

• Hook 'Em 4