Bourbon

Jimbaround

25 minutes ago, thestud said:

I’m more interested in what he payed for each, because I found all that stuff and then some when I was out there last weekend and it was 3x secobdarynpricing

So far everything has been 75-85.  The other liquor store further down was selling their Blantons for 130.  Friend out here was able to get 3 bottles of Blantons at his Costco for 55 but by the time I made it out there they had sold out.  The Blantons and Weller aren't around as much as the Balcones Single Malt.  I've been away from Austin for awhile and not sure if it's still in high demand like it was a 6 years ago.  

Bad news on the Jefferson's 16, it's oaky as well hell and thin. A little astringent too.They should have sourced something with a higher proof to even it out. Not a good buy on my part. I'll take the L and bounce back though. 

Truth bomb: The Jefferson Twin Oak is better and less than half the price. Twin Oak is a shockingly good bottle. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, huge said:

d01dbb688e453dcfdf4c7291a7cad0cc.jpg

Any intel on these?

I’m not loving the Dovetail especially up against the Legent that was less than half the price.

I bought a dovetail because I found it for $74 and the salesman had just whipped out an EH Taylor SiB from the back room and I was feeling generous.  It’s about 1/2 as good as Blood Oath Pact 5 which I’ve seen as low as $88.  

I have a 14 yr Barrell store pick from OLC that’s pretty solid, but overall there’s a lot out there better for the price.  

3 hours ago, USCATX said:

I bought a dovetail because I found it for $74 and the salesman had just whipped out an EH Taylor SiB from the back room and I was feeling generous.  It’s about 1/2 as good as Blood Oath Pact 5 which I’ve seen as low as $88.  

I have a 14 yr Barrell store pick from OLC that’s pretty solid, but overall there’s a lot out there better for the price.  

I didn't care for my 14 year Barrel Store Pick from OLC. I think Oak Man has a really good palate, but it only goes so far with a product that isn't that good. I'm done with Tennessee whiskey unless I find a bottle of Jack Daniels Heritage. 

2 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Because Texas, that’s why

bcaafa129aa5d0ecb07dd95c6327615f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can’t post shit like that without a backstory.

Did you buy that original?  Is there product in there?  Did you drink it long ago and keep the bottle?  Did you just crack it?  Or did you just find it in the house of the old man you just raped, killed, and moved into his house...?

Context. Perspective. These are things we crave. 

And also Bourbon. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, After irth said:

You can’t post shit like that without a backstory.

Did you buy that original?  Is there product in there?  Did you drink it long ago and keep the bottle?  Did you just crack it?  Or did you just find it in the house of the old man you just raped, killed, and moved into his house...?

Context. Perspective. These are things we crave. 

And also Bourbon. 

I bought it back in February and had planned to crack it for Texas Independence Day. Only it came late and i kind of just shelved it. Then decided to take it out for July 4th, only i left the damn thing at home. So decided to crack it tonight. I decanted into a mason jar as the cork is unsurprisingly toast. All in all, pretty tasty dusty Weller. Not dusty turkey good, but decent enough. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I bought it back in February and had planned to crack it for Texas Independence Day. Only it came late and i kind of just shelved it. Then decided to take it out for July 4th, only i left the damn thing at home. So decided to crack it tonight. I decanted into a mason jar as the cork is unsurprisingly toast. All in all, pretty tasty dusty Weller. Not dusty turkey good, but decent enough. 

Seems like such an amazing find. Incredible. All shenanigans aside, thanks for sharing. 

Got an e-mail that the local store is going to have Weller 12, and other rare finds, this Saturday. Doors open at 9:00 with a limited amount at one register. One per customer. Trying to decide if I want to fight the crowds, and if so how early I want to get there. 

9 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Got an e-mail that the local store is going to have Weller 12, and other rare finds, this Saturday. Doors open at 9:00 with a limited amount at one register. One per customer. Trying to decide if I want to fight the crowds, and if so how early I want to get there. 

I wonder if the basic Weller will finally be in stock?  Spec's downtown is still out of it.

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-whiskey-press-releases/buffalo-trace-distillery-releases-colonel-e-h-taylor-jr-amaranth-bourbon-whiskey

Buffalo Trace Distillery continues its homage to former Distillery owner Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. with a special release bourbon whiskey using Amaranth as the flavoring grain instead of rye.  This 100 proof Bottled-In-Bond small batch bourbon was aged over a decade and is a special one-time-only release.  Other grains used in this recipe are corn (Buffalo Trace Mashbill #1) and malted barley.    

“Hitting shelves” in late July 

you won’t see this 

On 7/7/2019 at 6:10 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Solid in the $50-60 range. Unless it's a barrel pick hand picked by the master distiller or something, it should never cost that much. 

More likely to find it in the $60-70 range, haven't seen it at under $60 for two years. I'm sure TW sells it at that, it's just never available after a few hours of the Tater hoards