Bourbon

Jimbaround

35 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Scored one at Total Wine early this afternoon.  $22.99.  Thank you, sweet 750ml newborn baby Jesus. 

By the time I went to the back to grab a McKenna and then came up front to check out, there were no more left.

I buy out Antique whenever I see it. The only comparable values are W12 and Rebel Yell 10.  

Well, Elmer at retail is under $30, but good luck finding it in the wild. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good Lord. What did they have for tasting? 

Those three things mentioned and whatever vodka they make now. They were pushing the vodka at the tasting which made me laugh. Hard to complain too much though because the tour there is free. 

1 minute ago, ISUCyclones said:

Those three things mentioned and whatever vodka they make now. They were pushing the vodka at the tasting which made me laugh. Hard to complain too much though because the tour there is free. 

Worst marketing disaster since new Coke? People expect brown stuff from a bourbon company. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

No Freddie, no Blanton's. Well hell man, they did you dirtier than the refs in the Texas at ISU game back in 2013. 

Insert Furk gif here... So many isu plays like that make me shake my head. 

Yeah now that I live not terribly far away I'll be making runs to all the distilleries eventually. 

18 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Insert Furk gif here... So many isu plays like that make me shake my head. 

Yeah now that I live not terribly far away I'll be making runs to all the distilleries eventually. 

I'd like to kill two birds with one stone and hit the distilleries while the leaves are changing. 

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What is your suggested retailer in Louisiana? 

Reds in the Golden Triangle has Blantons. I found several different liquor stores in LA along I-10 in stock with RY10. I would just look them up and call them. They were on the shelves.

Edited by ckhorn
dummy

I just saw about 6 different kinds of four roses at a little liquor store down in OKC. Kind of a shitty part of town.

I think the best widely available, reasonably priced bourbon is Four Roses Single Barrel. It's usually $35-40. 
They also make a barrel proof single barrel which runs about $70. 

On 5/8/2018 at 10:03 PM, 4th and 5 said:

Went to the Kentucky Derby this weekend, hit the bourbon tour on Friday. Stitzel-Weller distillery, now Bulleitt, sat in Pappy’s old office and enjoyed some 10 year. On to Kentucky Artisan Distillery, home to Jefferson’s, which was a fair experience, and then on to Buffalo Trace for the last tour. We encountered special Derby mid sized bottles of Blantons literally flying off the shelves but limited to one per person and no time to stand in the long checkout lines before our tour, so I hid quite a few of them around the gift shop prior to our tour, and with other members of our group following my lead, we all went thru the line multiple times after our tour to acquire more than one per person......with customers asking where we got them and clerks saying I thought we were already sold out.....

Onward to Saturday where we were twisting off at the race all day..... before the most exciting 2 minutes in sports a vendor comes by with a tray of mint juleps and my buddy hands him a couple hundred and takes the entire damn tray of juleps (literally, the dude just took his straps and walked off) for our box....it got a little hazy after that. Damn good time. 

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I finished a bottle of Belle Meade 11 yr Single Barrel.  They labeled it as cask strength, but it's only 110 proof. Probably misleading labeling there, but still a pretty good product. I recommend picking it up if you see it for retail. The 9 and 10 year single barrels should be pretty good as well. 

For those of that have visited Buffalo Trace, what's usually for sell at the distillery? I read they were starting to get cute with Blanton's, one bottle per visitor. Possibly no more filling up the suitcase runs to Kentucky. 

15 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

I was there last weekend and all they had was eagle rare, Buffalo trace, and the cream stuff. No blantons at all

Sorry for partying. 

It's pricey. I picked mine up for $110. Reviews are pretty good. 
If it generates some goodwill at your local store, I'd go for it. 

I went ahead and picked it up and by doing so got moved to the top of his list for EHT Four Grain if he actually gets any. Said he talked to the rep today and there’s some in the warehouse but couldn’t guarantee they would actually get it. Fingers crossed.
  • Like 1

I'll go ahead and recommend Bowman's Single Barrel. 

It reminds me of Hancock's Reserve. Not as good, but with more punch and some salt. I think it's priced OK at $42.99. I'd love it at $30. I don't get the Weller Antique comparison. The wheat is pretty distinct in Antique. 

Gun to my head, I think Bowman's is better than Eagle Rare. I love Eagle Rare, but I wish it had some punch. If ER 1.75L  bottles are in scarce supply, I might elevate Bowman's to my casual drinker. Total usually has it. 

Distillers are Beams, so someone in their family could show them how to make good bourbon.  But since these Beam kids just opened their distillery a few years ago. This rye is sourced from MGP, but MGP makes good stuff so it probably doesn’t suck 

Could anyone recommend a reputable online site that ships to Texas? 

California laws are a little tricky right now. 

Is it like wine in that you can buy directly from a winery vs not being able to buy from an out of state retailer? Something tells me that liquor may be different than wine. It sounds like an online site would be a retailer and the reputable ones wouldn't ship to Texas. BTW, our liquor laws suck.

18 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Is it like wine in that you can buy directly from a winery vs not being able to buy from an out of state retailer? Something tells me that liquor may be different than wine. It sounds like an online site would be a retailer and the reputable ones wouldn't ship to Texas. BTW, our liquor laws suck.

I was told the following recently from by a liquor store/ online retail site based in Glendale, CA: 

Thank you for shopping, we appreciate your business! Unfortunately we cannot process your orders at this time because the State of Texas does not allow us to ship alcohol into your state. However this situation might change in the next month or two. In the meantime if you have an alternative shipping address to any nearby state we would be happy to modify the shipping address and process your order.  Otherwise we can cancel and fully refund you.  We are aware that this is an inconvenience but we are diligent in checking routinely with the state for any future change in shipping regulation.  Please let me know how you would like us to proceed.

Thank you for your understanding.

On 5/19/2018 at 1:24 PM, huge said:

Hay Merchant is opening this on Tuesday.

Allegedly $15 an ounce

Single barrel Willet selected by the 8 row guys and Sheppard’s guys.

22e6e072331da1d1eaf23d0f6df8e77b.jpg

"Willett Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel. 131.2 proof, 65.6% alcohol by volume. Barrel No. 193. Aged 6 Years. Sorry I haven't mastered posting pics from my phone on here, but it's a very similar bottle. 

I stopped by Hay Merchant and gave it try. A little steep at $22 a pour, but I believe they gave me an ounce and half. There's plenty left in the bottle. 

Excellent, excellent bourbon. Despite the proof, it wasn't hot at all. Very smooth. It still tastes like Willett, but they ironed out all of the imperfections and made it better. 

I had an Elmer T. right after to get a baseline. I still like Elmer better, but the Willett was a close second. If I find a Willett 80th Birthday at MSRP, I'll pick it up. 

@huge can you elaborate on the back story? I assume they're releasing a couple bottles/barrels every couple years with a full release after 10-12 years of aging?

Does anybody know what Michter's sells at the distillery? I assume the Single Barrel is so rare it's not for sale there. 

By the way Billions fans, Axe and John Malkovich were drinking the Single Barrel in the last episode. It was definitely Michter's with a brown/black label. 

28 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

they always drink the $5K Michter’s Celebration Sour Mash bottle

The top looked more like the Single Barrel, it was dark wood in color, but yes the Single Barrel and Celebration bottles look very similar. 

The Billions cast did celebrate the end of Season 3 with Michter's Celebration. 

Michter's Celebration Sour Mash 2016