Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Anybody tried MB Roland - uncut and unfiltered single barrel? Picked up a bottle based on the always reliable "This looks like it should be excellent" packaging and the specs sales guy telling me it was great.  

First rule of bourbon hunting, never believe the Spec's guy. 

• Like 4

Anybody tried MB Roland - uncut and unfiltered single barrel? Picked up a bottle based on the always reliable "This looks like it should be excellent" packaging and the specs sales guy telling me it was great.  

Somebody gave me a bottle of it at my Kentucky Derby party. Haven’t cracked it open yet.

1 minute ago, ckhorn said:

Okay, you're not a regular guy. You have to be a distributor of some sort.

Mr. Specs or Twin Liquors maybe.

No, I’m a regular guy. I did have a major step up in the collection this past year though. I had built up a pretty good collection before, but I took a major leap up in January. I saw a very big collection for sale, around 550 bottles. The asking price was high, but I thought it was undervalued. I bought it with the idea that I would pull out bottles that I liked (around 80) and then sell off the rest to pay for the initial purchase thus giving me the bottles I pulled for free. Worked out really well, and I actually made money off of it. I’ve since done a bunch of trades and bought some other bottles to finish out collections. I also got a really good knowledge of bottle valuations, so I occasionally buy stuff that I think is undervalued and flip it.

• Like 1

No, I’m a regular guy. I did have a major step up in the collection this past year though. I had built up a pretty good collection before, but I took a major leap up in January. I saw a very big collection for sale, around 550 bottles. The asking price was high, but I thought it was undervalued. I bought it with the idea that I would pull out bottles that I liked (around 80) and then sell off the rest to pay for the initial purchase thus giving me the bottles I pulled for free. Worked out really well, and I actually made money off of it. I’ve since done a bunch of trades and bought some other bottles to finish out collections. I also got a really good knowledge of bottle valuations, so I occasionally buy stuff that I think is undervalued and flip it.

Still grateful for the RY10 you sold me.
  • Like 1

No extra WLW unfortunately. I’m actually looking for a hazmat for myself. I have a few other bottles I may look to sell. 

At the moment, that definitely includes a Elijah Craig 18, Barterhouse, Jefferson’s Ocean, Willett Pot Still, and some others. I could be talked into selling Blanton’s, Yippee Ki Yay, and Stagg Jr. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

No extra WLW unfortunately. I’m actually looking for a hazmat for myself. I have a few other bottles I may look to sell. 

At the moment, that definitely includes a Elijah Craig 18, Barterhouse, Jefferson’s Ocean, Willett Pot Still, and some others. I could be talked into selling Blanton’s, Yippee Ki Yay, and Stagg Jr. 

Why is everyone panning EC 18? 

1 hour ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I remember this post on Shagg. Well done.

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How close is Jefferson's Ocean to Bowman Single Barrel? I bet they're in the same ballpark. 

Why the comparison? The sea air?

I get a little salt and a little smoke from the Jefferson’s. I prefer the cask strength, but the regular bottle is good. Bowman has less going on, in my opinion. Easy drinking smooth poor that I’ve only had a couple times. 

28 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Why the comparison? The sea air?

I get a little salt and a little smoke from the Jefferson’s. I prefer the cask strength, but the regular bottle is good. Bowman has less going on, in my opinion. Easy drinking smooth poor that I’ve only had a couple times. 

I can definitely see that. Trey Zoeller seems like an earnest guy. I think 90% of the ocean aging is BS, but I have to give the man credit for marketing his product well. 

10,000 foot view of the industry as whole, I'm not thrilled with removing the age statements. I know it gives them flexibility to mix stuff they like, and age their really good stuff. But hopefully supply catches up to demand at some point, and the age statements come back. 

Also what in the GD f*** is bourbon under 90 proof? The only good one off the top of my head is Hancock's Reserve. I know, I know, they want to sell as much bourbon as possible, but they're diluting some really good stuff. 

It's awesome that Elijah Craig offers a 12 year barrel proof, but why not keep the age statement on EC12 and just offer a barrel proof edition? I might have a stroke if they take the age statement off of Eagle Rare 10.

I love Weller Antique, but man alive if they let that juice age for 12 years instead of 7 they'd really have something. For that matter, Weller 12 would be much better at a higher proof. People are making Poor Man's Pappy for a reason. 

Pappy 10 is good, but it should be more available. A bartender featured in "Neat" made Pappy 10 jello shots. Now most of us would drink Pappy 10 out of the bottom of a dumpster, good for him for throwing up a middle finger to the exclusivity. 

As long as there are hipster bearded f**** ordering cocktails in major US cities, they'll keep making plenty of bourbon. It should even out eventually,. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Question for you about this, @PappyVanVinceYoung. I know what I'm doing with Bourbon and I own some good stuff, but I don't consider myself a collector. I basically have three rules: 1) I get what I get based on luck and good relationships, 2) I only pay MSRP, and 3) I judiciously open what I buy, mostly rendering it valueless fro sale, but also enabling me to share out samples. I like drinking and sharing good whiskey with friends, and I'm less focused on accumulating it, although I see the appeal. That's where I'm coming from in this thing.

So my question to you is, what do you drink and what don't you drink, and how do you decide? 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2

Question for you about this, [mention=1060]PappyVanVinceYoung[/mention]. I know what I'm doing with Bourbon and I own some good stuff, but I don't consider myself a collector. I basically have three rules: 1) I get what I get based on luck and good relationships, 2) I only pay MSRP, and 3) I judiciously open what I buy, mostly rendering it valueless fro sale, but also enabling me to share out samples. I like drinking and sharing good whiskey with friends, and I'm less focused on accumulating it, although I see the appeal. That's where I'm coming from in this thing.

So my question to you is, what do you drink and what don't you drink, and how do you decide? 

This is me as well. We follow the same rules

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Question for you about this, @PappyVanVinceYoung. I know what I'm doing with Bourbon and I own some good stuff, but I don't consider myself a collector. I basically have three rules: 1) I get what I get based on luck and good relationships, 2) I only pay MSRP, and 3) I judiciously open what I buy, mostly rendering it valueless fro sale, but also enabling me to share out samples. I like drinking and sharing good whiskey with friends, and I'm less focused on accumulating it, although I see the appeal. That's where I'm coming from in this thing.

I”ll chime in.  I do consider myself a collector of brown spirits and have a few similar rules as well:  1.  I have what I have due to time spent building relationships on the retail and on-premise side of things;  2.  I will never pay secondary pricing for a bottle at retail or purchase from the secondary market;  3.  If the opportunity presents itself, I will purchase two bottles, one to open now and one to open later;  4.  All bottles will be opened, shared among friends or gifted at some point;  5.  I have recently started trading bottles with bourbon friends to fill holes in the collection.

As far as what to open and when?  Everything will be opened at one point, it depends on the company and the occasion.  I’ll open the latest release of Old Fitz with friends but will share the Stitzel juice with the more seasoned drinker.  

There are lots of folks new to the whiskey game and I find that most chase labels and some will horde bottles to flip. I get that most see these allocated or hard-to-get bottles as currency, but these guys that flip bottles for profit are no friends of mine.

• Like 2

I”ll chime in.  I do consider myself a collector of brown spirits and have a few similar rules as well:  1.  I have what I have due to time spent building relationships on the retail and on-premise side of things;  2.  I will never pay secondary pricing for a bottle at retail or purchase from the secondary market;  3.  If the opportunity presents itself, I will purchase two bottles, one to open now and one to open later;  4.  All bottles will be opened, shared among friends or gifted at some point;  5.  I have recently started trading bottles with bourbon friends to fill holes in the collection.
As far as what to open and when?  Everything will be opened at one point, it depends on the company and the occasion.  I’ll open the latest release of Old Fitz with friends but will share the Stitzel juice with the more seasoned drinker.  
There are lots of folks new to the whiskey game and I find that most chase labels and some will horde bottles to flip. I get that most see these allocated or hard-to-get bottles as currency, but these guys that flip bottles for profit are no friends of mine.

I like you. Hell, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister.
  • Like 1

Good post, @Whiskyteer. I'm working hard to get a bottle of Old Fitz, myself. On your rules, I agree and I tend not to buy two bottles only because my best connection is a small store that gets extremely limited amounts of allocated bottles and I don't want to abuse the rapport. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

$72 this morning got me three bottles - Larceny, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare.  Twin Liquors and my friendly manager allowed me to get ER and a 15% discount.  Whiskey sale at Twin - 15% off of two 750l bottles until 6/12.

That's money well spent on 3 solid drinkers.

I’ve got obviously a different philosophy than you guys regarding collecting. I don’t really see any problem with buying in the secondary market. I buy and sell all the time. My cost basis in my overall collection is far below retail, but I have to work to get there. I do stuff like buy 3 bottles of Pappy 15 at $800 each knowing I can sell 2 of them for $1000 each bringing my cost basis for 1 down to $400. 

Right now, I’m trying to finish off some open bottles before I open any others. A few weeks ago I looked and I had 45 open bottles. I’m trying to get that down to a more manageable level. I’ve finished off around 10 since then. 

I have some bottles that I’m saving for a special occasion. For example, I’m holding off on opening my Pappy 23.

I have some bottles that I’m not opening because I might sell them. These are things like Blade and Bow 22 and Booker’s Rye. 

I have some that I’m not sure when I’ll open, but eventually I will. I have the entire lineup of 2016 and 2017 BTACs. I drink BTAC bottles, but I’m saving the unopened lineups for a while. I do have open bottles of 2017 GTS and WLW and 2016 THH. 

I don’t really love Saz18 or ER17, so I’m probably not going to open those. I’ll eventually sell them. 

For certain bottles that I love, like 4RAY, I try to get an extra. I have 1 open and 1 extra. 

I trade samples of stuff with some of my friends.  I have a friend with a better collection than me that’s always getting good stuff to try.

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My favorite drinks are high proof. I’m also high on the ryes. I love THH, Van Winkle Rye, and Kentucky Owl. For bourbons, my current favorites are GTS, 1792 Full Proof, Blantons SFTB, and 4RAY. 

There are some expensive bottles I’m not that big on like ER17, Saz18, Whistlepig Boss Hog for example. There are some bottles I like that I never hear anyone talking about like Dickel 17. 

I get some decent stuff in the retail store. Nothing really impossible to get, but some that people struggle with. In the past year I’ve gotten ORVW, Kentucky Owl (multiples), Weller 12 (multiples), Elmer T Lee, Four Roses LE (multiples), Blanton’s Gold (multiples), Blantons (multiples), Rockhill Farms, Elijah Craig BP (multiples), Rebel Yell 10 (multiples), EHTSB (multiples), Michter’s 10, Michter’s Toasted Rye, HWMWND. 

I purchase bottles based on perceived value. I don’t open them unless I know I like them. I try bottles out in bars or with samples before I open them. For example, I got a bottle of 4RAY, but I thought it was probably overrated and planned on trading it. I ended up having at a bar and loving it. I then went searching for a back up bottle. 

18 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Enjoying a 2014 THH tonight. It’s excellent. If I’m being honest though, I prefer Kentucky Owl. That’s the best reasonably priced rye out there. 

Well then, I would be happy to part with slightly open KY Owl for the same THH.

Edited by ckhorn
na

My top recommendation is to look for 1792 Full Proof store picks. That’s a cheap bottle that’s up there with the 2017 GTS if you get a good store pick. I got this one today. It’s phenomenal.
DCBE0_D14_402_C_4594_A204_F38_CA7_C62_B3_B.jpg

Love the 1792 FP.
By any chance, did you post this on the Bourbon Hound FB page earlier today?

17 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

$550 is the going rate for the 2017 WLW. If you want it at that price, I’m sure I can get a bottle. I would just be the intermediary. I’ve got two 2017s, but I’m not selling mine. I’m going to drink one and save one. 

Okay, I found one for $525. That’s a good secondary price if anyone wants it. Let me know.