Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 6/9/2018 at 10:58 AM, Jerry Callo said:

$72 this morning got me three bottles - Larceny, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare.  Twin Liquors and my friendly manager allowed me to get ER and a 15% discount.  Whiskey sale at Twin - 15% off of two 750l bottles until 6/12.

pretty similar haul here on friday. except I have enough ER, so picked up one of the twin barrel selection high west bourbons. 

1 hour ago, michael78747 said:

@PappyVanVinceYoung What site or sites do you recommend to buy on secondary? I've been looking for a bottle of Birthday Bourbon and figure that is the only chance I have of acquiring one.

I look around at several. Bottle-spot, facebook bourbon secondary market, houston whiskey exchange, megafireballs, tx trading co, rare bourbon scotch market. 

After opening, how long do you guys take to work through the rare bottles?  I opened a '17 THH about 5 weeks ago, and we're almost 1/3 through it.  We've shared it with some friends, but it's so damn good that I have a hard time not sneaking in a pour every few days.  Gonna be pretty sad when it's gone.

I haven't opened the '17 WLW yet.  Probably gonna wait until something worthwhile to crack it open.  I have a feeling that one is gonna take longer than the THH to work through, but who knows.

Just now, Horn21 said:

After opening, how long do you guys take to work through the rare bottles?  I opened a '17 THH about 5 weeks ago, and we're almost 1/3 through it.  We've shared it with some friends, but it's so damn good that I have a hard time not sneaking in a pour every few days.  Gonna be pretty sad when it's gone.

I haven't opened the '17 WLW yet.  Probably gonna wait until something worthwhile to crack it open.  I have a feeling that one is gonna take longer than the THH to work through, but who knows.

I opened my 2017 OF Birthday Bourbon in November and I have had 3 pours out of it so far, trying to keep it as long as I can it's so good.  Been drinking it only at special occasions.  Wish I had another bottle so I could drink it more often.

The trick is to acquire as many different bottles as possible so you have a rotation of hard to find and a rotation of easy to find so you not do too much damage to one specific bottle 

Plus at the point you have 30+ bottles your wife stops asking about them, or noticing when there are additions to the collection. Allegedly.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Plus at the point you have 30+ bottles your wife stops asking about them, or noticing when there are additions to the collection. Allegedly.

Avoiding wife detection is the main problem for sure. 

Getting the bottle in the house and hidden in the crowd is the main one for me. Once it is crowd, she doesn't notice. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 4:37 PM, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I finished off my EH Taylor set.

331_DAC47_50_B5_4_BE2_89_DD_4007536_E611

Could you please provide advice on which of these were your favorites? I've been wanting to try some EH Taylor for a while now, but could use some advice on which ones to look for. 

56 minutes ago, LoyalHorn said:

Could you please provide advice on which of these were your favorites? I've been wanting to try some EH Taylor for a while now, but could use some advice on which ones to look for. 

The Small Batch vs. Single Barrel should be a healthy little debate. I think it's worth the money to upgrade. 

I polished off my bottle of Thomas Handy this evening to celebrate the Horns advancing to Omaha. 

I'm not a rye guy, but it transcends rye vs. bourbon. It's just really damned good. It greets you with the Kentucky hug, but it finishes smooth. Probably the best high proof I've had. For the 2017 releases, Handy is on the same level as George T. Stagg in my opinion. I still can't believe it's a only 6 years old. 

1 hour ago, LoyalHorn said:

1) Tornado

2) Seasoned Wood

3) Four Grain

4) Rye

5) Single Barrel

6) Barrel Proof

7) Small Batch

I haven’t tried the Cured Oak or Sour Mash yet. While I love high proofed bottles, for whatever reason I’m not huge on the EHT Barrel Proof. 

7 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

1) Tornado

2) Seasoned Wood

3) Four Grain

4) Rye

5) Single Barrel

6) Barrel Proof

7) Small Batch

I haven’t tried the Cured Oak or Sour Mash yet. While I love high proofed bottles, for whatever reason I’m not huge on the EHT Barrel Proof. 

Very interesting ranking Tornado first. I've heard it's very good, if not a bit gimmicky. 

Seasoned Wood and Four Grain seem to always duke it out for the top spots. 

Excellent and reasonably priced line. Except for the vodka, Buffalo Trace is like Kody Clemens. All they do is hit home runs. 

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Very interesting ranking Tornado first. I've heard it's very good, if not a bit gimmicky. 

Seasoned Wood and Four Grain seem to always duke it out for the top spots. 

Excellent and reasonably priced line. Except for the vodka, Buffalo Trace is like Kody Clemens. All they do is hit home runs. 

It is a marketing gimmick, but tornado caused or not, it is really great. I like the rye spice of it. I think it edges out the Seasoned Wood. There’s a drop off to the Four Grain in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

1) Tornado

2) Seasoned Wood

3) Four Grain

4) Rye

5) Single Barrel

6) Barrel Proof

7) Small Batch

If any of y'all hear about bars in Texas offering EH Taylor Flights please let me know. 

It is a marketing gimmick, but tornado caused or not, it is really great. I like the rye spice of it. I think it edges out the Seasoned Wood. There’s a drop off to the Four Grain in my opinion. 

This. It’s a marketing gimmick. It’s also some of the best bourbon I’ve had.

It also pays off if she sees you portioning out a bottle from time to time. Then you can always say a bottle was bought to be shared with other people who went in on it, so it’s not like you bought another one. Allegedly.

Hahaha, exactly the same in my house. We should probably make sure our wife’s are never chatting alone together, they might compare notes and realize we’re both spending a lot on bourbon.

Yeah, having a big bottle collection is great until you get too hammered one night and piss your wife so that after you decide to retire she decides to pack up boxes with all your booze and put them in the garage threatening to thrown them out. Allegedly. It's a pain in the ass unpacking those boxes after your talk her off the cliff. 

Edited by Anastasis

Yeah, having a big bottle collection is great until you get too hammered one night and piss your wife so that after you decide to retire she decides to pack up boxes with all your booze and put them in the garage threatening to thrown them out. Allegedly. It's a pain in the ass unpacking those boxes after your talk her off the cliff. 

my wife goes the passive-aggressive route. i came home from work last night and one of my store pick 1792 full proof bottles with the $55 price sticker on it was serving as a door stop bc the open windows were causing a draft and shutting the door loudly.

i couldn’t help but laugh

• Like 3

Just now, mbpcb said:

my wife goes the passive-aggressive route. i came home from work last night and one of my store pick 1792 full proof bottles with the $55 price sticker on it was serving as a door stop bc the open windows were causing a draft and shutting the door loudly.

i couldn’t help but laugh

This rep system is driving me nuts.

Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today.

OK

• Like 1

About every six months I’ll discuss the “value” of the collection with my wife. Tell her what the bottles cost and what they’re worth on the secondary market (not that I’m selling any time soon). Emphasizes the quality return on investment, as well as the value and that they shouldn’t be thrown into boxes in the garage when I get drunk one night. Allegedly.

• Like 2