Bourbon

Jimbaround

I had an Antique Husk pick. It was the best Antique I’ve had.

I took it over to some jerk’s house for the Kentucky Derby Party he throws and shared it with another asshole from this thread with a formidable stash. Enjoyable. Didn’t win any of my bets.

The End

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, huge said:

I had an Antique Husk pick. It was the best Antique I’ve had.

I took it over to some jerk’s house for the Kentucky Derby Party he throws and shared it with another asshole from this thread with a formidable stash. Enjoyable. Didn’t win any of my bets.

The End

I poured some 125 this weekend.  

a1358b0f8afe654a98ffb572d5feb316.mov

We moved. So for now I’m taking over the top shelf of this thing while I get my bar set up situated. The rest of the detritus and hangers on will have to go in a cabinet or various garage sheds while o convince the wife that what I have is entirely reasonable compared to a good handful of you degenerates.

Cheers

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, huge said:

a1358b0f8afe654a98ffb572d5feb316.mov

We moved. So for now I’m taking over the top shelf of this thing while I get my bar set up situated. The rest of the detritus and hangers on will have to go in a cabinet or various garage sheds while o convince the wife that what I have is entirely reasonable compared to a good handful of you degenerates.

Cheers

I’m in the same boat. I need to move my entire collection to the new house this weekend. 

7 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Damn.....my 'local guy' just told me he sold all 6 of his EHTBP bottles to a flipper....

I was told I would get two..

Pay for play is popping up everywhere now. Even at the big box stores. I'm not a fan of it. 

I think the horse is out of the barn. An already heavily regulated industry isn't set up to stop the secondary market and I'm not sure they want to. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think your wife and my wife should get together and go bowling.

Haha. I tell her over and over again. I probably only buy bourbon 1 out of 10 trips to the liquor store. But if the good stuff is in the store, I'm going to pounce and load up. 

Repeat this process for 3-4 years, and you're going to have a lot of bottles in your collection. 

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Pay for play is popping up everywhere now. Even at the big box stores. I'm not a fan of it. 

I think the horse is out of the barn. An already heavily regulated industry isn't set up to stop the secondary market and I'm not sure they want to. 

we. need. someone. to. drive. to. idaho.

let's crowdsource this bitch.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

What's in Idaho?

one of the instagram accounts i follow is "overpriced bourbon" - https://www.instagram.com/overpricedbourbon/?hl=en

most of their good content comes from their "stories" not their posts.  they have pics and receipts from people finding good shit and horrible deals (obviously the horrible deals are just pics of shelves at stores trying to gouge people).

i recommend that follow for several reasons, but it gives you an idea what to look for, and what prices you should be paying (or not paying).  i realize not everyone can roll to the grocery store secret stash, so this acct helps at your local liquor store.  it's also very handy to see what's floating around at any particular time.  i noticed a lot of people finding stagg jr, so i started fishing around, and was able to snag a couple bottles.  so it's good for that too.

anyhow, sometimes they show the store or city/state that the store is in, and every time it's in idaho, someone is just making a huge score.  there was a pic of someone checking out of a store there with like 8 elmers and 6 blantons and the receipt was low-level retail price.  same with the high-end eht and weller bottles.  it just looks like the wild west, and it might be.

but of course with the shipping restrictions, someone would have to drive there and drive back (maybe fly there, rent a van, and drive back?).  on our bourbon text group, which includes several people from this thread, there have been several screenshots posted with us saying things like "let's move to idaho and live like kings!"

maybe once i get divorced.

51 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

one of the instagram accounts i follow is "overpriced bourbon" - https://www.instagram.com/overpricedbourbon/?hl=en

most of their good content comes from their "stories" not their posts.  they have pics and receipts from people finding good shit and horrible deals (obviously the horrible deals are just pics of shelves at stores trying to gouge people).

i recommend that follow for several reasons, but it gives you an idea what to look for, and what prices you should be paying (or not paying).  i realize not everyone can roll to the grocery store secret stash, so this acct helps at your local liquor store.  it's also very handy to see what's floating around at any particular time.  i noticed a lot of people finding stagg jr, so i started fishing around, and was able to snag a couple bottles.  so it's good for that too.

anyhow, sometimes they show the store or city/state that the store is in, and every time it's in idaho, someone is just making a huge score.  there was a pic of someone checking out of a store there with like 8 elmers and 6 blantons and the receipt was low-level retail price.  same with the high-end eht and weller bottles.  it just looks like the wild west, and it might be.

but of course with the shipping restrictions, someone would have to drive there and drive back (maybe fly there, rent a van, and drive back?).  on our bourbon text group, which includes several people from this thread, there have been several screenshots posted with us saying things like "let's move to idaho and live like kings!"

maybe once i get divorced.

That’s a good follow, thanks. 

14 hours ago, crainiac said:

Boss came through on my birthday77b7c1e01191dbd221734b474659b0e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve listened to a couple interviews with Jim Rutledge, Cream’s master distiller. He seems like the genuine article. Good lineage from working for years at Four Roses. 

I’m also interested in a review crainiac. 

On 10/20/2020 at 11:48 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

It still doesn't make sense why local merchants would hose their regulars.

Flipping doesn't bother me, but hoarding is bullshit.  Let everyone wet their beak a little... whether it is in a glass or the wallet.

If retailer limits bottles to 1 per customer or whatever, why would I care what you do with it?

If you buy 6 bottles, that's bullshit, IMHO.  From a supplier perspective( I am one, but not in the booze category,)  I have my regulars, like Otisdog's story,  who always support me when I need something.  They get first dibs when I get something special/ new to market/ whatever-  those are my version of the liquor store 'regulars.'  If somebody tries to hoard my stuff( the flipper in Otisdog's scenario,) they are told to fuck off.

Not trying to start anything, just sharing my (probably fucked up) perspective.

Edited by slorch

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

If retailer limits bottles to 1 per customer or whatever, why would I care what you do with it?

If you buy 6 bottles, that's bullshit, IMHO.

I agree with you on limit one per customer or at most two per customer. It’s more democratic. 

During the Spec’s restaurant allocation everybody would have gotten something special instead of assholes filling their carts with cases BTAC and Weller 12. 

23 minutes ago, slorch said:

If you buy 6 bottles, that's bullshit, IMHO.

Even if retailers limit the public on one bottle per customer, there are others that can get whatever they want. 

For example, when Spec’s dropped their store pick of Smoke Wagon a few weeks back, it was at one location here in SA. They limited the public to one bottle per transaction, so most guys I know were able to snag one or two if they went back more than once (which I have no problem with). Yet, it was confirmed that one customer was sold FIVE CASES of the stuff. The same day the Spec’s pick dropped, the stuff flooded the secondary market and was going for $200-$225 on Texas and National pages.

There’s no doubt in my mind that these flippers are dealing kickbacks to managers at these big box stores. Until this practice is cracked down upon (which I doubt) we’ll keep seeing rare and allocated bottles hitting secondary in mass quantities. 

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Even if retailers limit the public on one bottle per customer, there are others that can get whatever they want. 

For example, when Spec’s dropped their store pick of Smoke Wagon a few weeks back, it was at one location here in SA. They limited the public to one bottle per transaction, so most guys I know were able to snag one or two of they went back more than once (which I have no problem with). Yet, it was confirmed that one customer was sold FIVE CASES of the stuff. The same day the Spec’s pick dropped the stuff flooded the secondary market and was going for $200-$225 on Texas and National pages.

There’s no doubt in my mind that these flippers are dealing kickbacks to managers at these big box stores. Until this practice is cracked down upon (which I doubt) we’ll keep seeing rare and allocated bottles hitting secondary in mass quantities. 

this happened in fw too.  friday was one per person.  the next morning they had people in line outside at 6am and allowed it to be sold by the case.  which i found funny.

36 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

For example, when Spec’s dropped their store pick of Smoke Wagon a few weeks back, it was at one location here in SA. They limited the public to one bottle per transaction, so most guys I know were able to snag one or two if they went back more than once (which I have no problem with). Yet, it was confirmed that one customer was sold FIVE CASES of the stuff. The same day the Spec’s pick dropped, the stuff flooded the secondary market and was going for $200-$225 on Texas and National pages.

Again professional flippers could make more money and work less hard at a regular job. 

Flippers have to deal with the following: 

- Pay liquor store employees for information. 

- Kick backs to liquor store employees. Possibly resulting in the employees’ termination, loss of benefits, and criminal charges brought by their employer. 
- Carefully list their product in a coded post on Facebook. All of which are archived and can be used against the flipper later. 
- Dodge the Facebook IT police. 
- Ship their product with the proper shipping material. 
- Dodge the USPS, UPS, and FedEx police. 
- Violate interstate commerce/state laws. I doubt a prosecutor would hit a flipper with a felony charge, but they could if they wanted to. Even a misdemeanor isn’t worth it on your record. Not for bourbon. 
- And for what? To make make a quick 50 bucks. 

Go work at Walmart. Make $15 an hour with benefits. Take online classes for $1 through their employee education program. Get a college degree. Get a real job. Stop being a piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Again professional flippers could make more money and work less hard at a regular job. 

Flippers have to deal with the following: 

- Pay liquor store employees for information. 

- Kick backs to liquor store employees. Possibly resulting in the employees’ termination, loss of benefits, and criminal charges brought by their employer. 
- Carefully list their product in a coded post on Facebook. All of which are archived and can be used against the flipper later. 
- Dodge the Facebook IT police. 
- Ship their product with the proper shipping material. 
- Dodge the USPS, UPS, and FedEx police. 
- Violate interstate commerce/state laws. I doubt a prosecutor would hit a flipper with a felony charge, but they could if they wanted to. Even a misdemeanor isn’t worth it on your record. Not for bourbon. 
- And for what? To make make a quick 50 bucks. 

Go work at Walmart. Make $15 an hour with benefits. Take online classes for $1 through their employee education program. Get a college degree. Get a real job. Stop being a piece of shit. 

Quick buck vs. long haul of hard work and stability

There is a reason some choose column A and it rhymes with drugs.