Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 2/14/2021 at 6:18 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Sits on the shelf in Houston which is baffling. You'd think the Blanton's Boys would be all over this one. It's almost certainly older than Blanton's and a higher proof. 

It's a good nominee for a daily drinker. I always keep at least one on hand. 

I think they’re similar until the aftertaste- an average Blanton’s has a longer burn than the Bowman bottle I have 

Sitting here listening to the hum of my generator crank out electricity and hoping I have enough fuel to get through the night while sipping on some Rare Bread.  Pretty sure I’m finishing this bottle tonight.  

Bottle killing at an alarming rate, even for me. We’ve been fortunate to maintain power more then most (until today at least), but when I woke up the other day cold and didn’t hear the pool pump running, I got up to start the fireplace for the family and got bundled up to go outside for a quick winterization or the pool equipment. Once bundled, the every smoke alarm started going batshit crazy, and then I realized my new 9V batteries from Amazon were individually wrapped. I moved my attention outside and did what could while fretting over the things I couldn’t address (underground floor system piping). The first whiskey of the day was poured into an Irish coffee at 8:57am that day, and the last was poured at 11:03pm. Living through history is a marathon.. not a sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Noticed that the hotel restaurant has a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle, so I said what the hell, I'll treat myself. Never had anything from that line before. I thought it was delicious, probably the best pour I've ever had. So I ordered another. 

Wasn't cheap, but was worth it. 

I know it's not Pappy and there are other rare aged bottles that beat it, but that was some good shit 

• Hook 'Em 3

took me all of december/jan/feb until now to catch up on this thread, but while in austin hit up TW and found Redemption wheated. Been looking for it solely due to this thread (since the beginning of covid) and finally found it so had to get two. For my birthday I got Backbone bourbon so finishing that off tonight and then starting on the Redemption. Not sure if I like wheated styles, but y'all mention the style a lot so figure it was worth pursing (solely in the pursuit of knowledge, of course). I'm also enough of a neophyte to not know if I had enjoyed any yet, but since my birthday and while traveling I picked up:

backbone bourbon blended; Garrison bros SiBSP; Balcones Single Malt, then non-bourbons: Barrilito 3star, Taptatio 110 blanco, regular blanco, Diplomatico Mantuano

really need to figure out how to post pics, but thats for another (sober) day. Popping the Redemption now, hope y'all staying warm in Austin!

Edited by achooloco
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I’m sorry but after all of the 13&14 year KC picks myself and BigD grabbed for $45 from 2017-2019 no way in hell I’m paying $79 for that. Or $59. Maybe $39. Maybe.

So $60 is retail. If you find it at $40 then I’d hope you would buy it.

And if you are in the (very fortunate) position to be choosing between the 12 year and 13&14 year old single barrel picks, by all means choose the picks.

That said, KC12 compares favorably to other whiskeys that are readily available around the $60 price point. It’s in the conversation with WTRB, 1910/1920, ECBP, etc. It’s not the best, but it’s certainly not the worst, and we’re talking about a price band with a bunch of great options.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Ha, I figured.

I did get $400 plus the 16 ofbb for it so I cant be too mad

Edit: bought the bookers at retail

I’ll probably get flamed, but I liked the Knob Creek Longhorn Steakhouse Pick better than Booker’s 30. I left one one on the shelf. This decision haunts me. 

I would definitely buy a bottle of Booker’s 30 at retail, but I think you came out on top. 

Allegedly Booker’s 25 is better than 30. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 minutes ago, HouTex said:

After 9 holes of golf I’m really enjoying a generous pour of Benchmark No.8 right now. Under $20 for a handle. Lots of good bourbon out there. After a shitty week things are looking up here in Houston. Hope everyone is safe and warm out there.

Golf and good value bourbon after this fucking week sounds like an amazing day. Salud. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, RichUT said:

The smooth word trips me up every.single.time. I see it. Is smooth really a characteristic that people actively look for in whiskey? I hear smooth and I lose almost all interest in trying whatever it's attached to. Don't get me wrong, I don't like harsh whiskey. But, I definitely want spicy and bold bourbons and I enjoy many of the physical responses (i.e., "the burn") that come with those pours. 

Am I misunderstanding the use of this term, or is it more of a personal preference sort of thing?

I would suggest any of the SAOS 7, 10, 11, 12 Ryes. All are terrific and hard to find. Step down to Redemption Rye 9-10-11yr BS. If rye and spice are your thing. The RRs are very close to the same chemistry as the SAOS only several hondos lower in price and can be found in most stores.

I have a love/hate relationship with the bourbon market... My eyes got HUGE when I walked in the door, but I quickly shot the guy behind the counter a sour as fuck look.

a731b13a8bc72d908afc4cfd325f44d3.jpg

1bb6ca85f87f4f093ecf271b66e689da.jpg

Despite there being quite a few bottles on my list behind the counter, I ended up only pulling the trigger on the Cigar Blend because:

1) I’ve never seen it on a shelf anywhere
2) Of all his overpriced hooch, it wasn’t that unreasonable.

Also snagged a handle of Old Charter for $29... hard to beat 8YO Buffalo Trace juice for that price.

This bottle is also sitting empty at our AirBnB and I kinda wish there was a sip left:

1b3d5abbd35f47eaf673478aaf666b1b.jpg