Bourbon

Jimbaround

15 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

Stagg Jr is no unicorn, but rare as any of the collectibles, and worth picking up anytime you can find it. 

Anyone going to the whiskey social in Houston on the 28th?  I have tickets to the Pappy VIP tasting and am looking forward to it.

When I saw the Pappy tickets were sold out, I passed. Cool event though, I'm planning to go next year. 

Stagg Jr is no unicorn, but rare as any of the collectibles, and worth picking up anytime you can find it. 
Anyone going to the whiskey social in Houston on the 28th?  I have tickets to the Pappy VIP tasting and am looking forward to it.
Taking my cousin to celebrate his daughter's birth and to get him off Crown and Jack.

I would have loved to do the Buffalo Trace tasting.

6 minutes ago, thestud said:

60/40 blend of OWA to W12. I put mine in a decanter but BigD bought a mini whiskey barrel off amazon and aged his blend in it for a month. As amazing as mine tasted just sitting in the glass decanter, BigD swears it’s even better after sitting in the barrel for a month. Give it a try and either way you won’t regret it.

I assume he charred the barrel first? 

I assume he charred the barrel first? 

They come pre charred. Got 2 2 liter barrels, ran about $50 a piece.
The PMP was great as well as a batch of manhattans I let sit in one for a couple of weeks.
I’ve experimented with a few cheap bottles and haven’t had a bad one yet. Did a handle of Larceny awhile back and it’s a great bottle now.

8 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

The PMP was great as well as a batch of manhattans I let sit in one for a couple of weeks.
I’ve experimented with a few cheap bottles and haven’t had a bad one yet. Did a handle of Larceny awhile back and it’s a great bottle now.

Linkage? 

Also genius idea to use Larceny. Cheap, very available, low risk/high reward. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

19 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Personalized - Customized American White Oak Aging Barrel - Barrel Aged (2 Liters, Black Hoops) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXWMCM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_X67sBbPHCBK4D

Many thanks. 

Did you clean the barrel first? I've seen different opinions. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Filled it with water for a few days to seal any leaks. Then risked it with hot water and then added bourbon.
When I’m not aging anything I just keep them filled with a 70/30 mix of water and cheap cheap stuff(Canadian crap I’ve had and won’t ever drink)to keep them from drying out.

On 7/14/2018 at 6:53 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

When I saw the Pappy tickets were sold out, I passed. Cool event though, I'm planning to go next year. 

Too bad I couldn't swing the Buffalo Trace tasting also.   They're sampling:

1. George T Stagg
  2. William Larue Weller
  3. Thomas Handy Rye
  4. Eagle Rare 17
  5. Sazerac 18

But I am giddy as a schoolgirl that I am getting this:

1. Old Rip Van Winkle 10
  2. Van Winkle Lot B
  3. Pappy Van Winkle 15
  4. Pappy Van Winkle 20
  5. Pappy Van Winkle 23

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I doubt it's worth $200 but if I saw it, I would buy it. I'm guessing that's Houston?

Austin.  It's the Mueller TW.

I know it's MSRP, but I just can't.  I love bourbon/rye and drink it most evenings, but I have a hard time going over $100 on a bottle with so much great stuff readily available, especially without trying it first.  I feel like if I drop $200 on a bottle of bourbon it would be in part just to say I got my hands on it, which is silly.

And yet I would shell out $200 on a 4-hr round of golf without batting an eye.  Perceived value is a funny thing, I suppose.

Edited by Horn21

Austin.  It's the Mueller TW.
I know it's MSRP, but I just can't.  I love bourbon/rye and drink it most evenings, but I have a hard time going over $100 on a bottle with so much great stuff readily available, especially without trying it first.  I feel like if I drop $200 on a bottle of bourbon it would be in part just to say I got my hands on it, which is silly.
And yet I would shell out $200 on a 4-hr round of golf without batting an eye.  Perceived value is a funny thing, I suppose.

I’m with this, but for somewhat of a different reason. I’m blessed (or is it cursed?) with a palate that can’t get the benefit of high priced whiskey. Same for wine. I know what I like and I drink quality stuff but I’m perfectly happy with a basic Weller or Larceny and when I can find it I buy Weller 12 or Antique. And when I try a really expensive whiskey I’m usually underwhelmed. So I never pay more than $50 or so for a bottle of whiskey (such as Michters, OF 1920, High West). And for making OFs or Manhattans, plain Weller is fine.
I love this thread because it introduces me to high quality bourbons at reasonable prices.
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 4:26 PM, BigDHornfan said:

How long did you age the bottle of Larceny? I'm thinking of pouring a 1.75L bottle in my barrel when it arrives. 

59 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How long did you age the bottle of Larceny? I'm thinking of pouring a 1.75L bottle in my barrel when it arrives. 

2-3 weeks if I remember correctly.   Start tasting a sample after 2 weeks, the oak will start to really come out in it pretty quickly.

Picked up a RY10 today at a premium ($70).  Been wanting to try it for a while, after all the positive feedback around here, so paid up.  

Probably not smart, as we are headed to New Orleans tomorrow to eat drink and be merry for a long weekend, which will include some damn fine bourbon.  And cocktails. 

Cheers to all you surly sons a bitches!

On 7/15/2018 at 4:43 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Many thanks. 

Did you clean the barrel first? I've seen different opinions. 

Use limestone water for the barrel 1st. Let it set for a couple of days then with bottled water and rinse.

After this, let your mixture set for several weeks. 2 or months the better.

Edited by ckhorn

15 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Cracked one open last night. Is it worth $200?  Debatable. But it is fucking delicious. 

I must of got a deal. Picked up a bottle in NO for $129 before taxes. Wished I would have gotten two, Half way through the one from last year. Batch 1 Bottle 07.

7 hours ago, ckhorn said:

I must of got a deal. Picked up a bottle in NO for $129 before taxes. Wished I would have gotten two, Half way through the one from last year. Batch 1 Bottle 07.

Batch 1 was $130 MSRP. Company got bought out by Stoli, they released Batch 2 and jacked up the price to $200 MSRP

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Batch 1 was $130 MSRP. Company got bought out by Stoli, they released Batch 2 and jacked up the price to $200 MSRP

Yeah, are you certain the NO pickup was batch 2 (you’d obviously know given the different proofs)?  If batch 2, that’s a solid price. If that was a leftover batch 1, then you hit a grand slam. 

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

Yeah, are you certain the NO pickup was batch 2 (you’d obviously know given the different proofs)?  If batch 2, that’s a solid price. If that was a leftover batch 1, then you hit a grand slam. 

Not a solid price, a mistake.

8 hours ago, huge said:

Not a solid price, a mistake.

Batch 2 Bottle 3. The KO11 i picked up last year was for $109. This year $129. Sometimes I guess you have to be at the right place at the right time. She had George Stagg in two weeks earlier. She sold them for $89. At the same time in Texas. My purchase was for $200.

8 minutes ago, huge said:

So you’re saying she sold batch 2 at $70 under retail?

Stagg at $90 is close enough.

I'm not saying she sold anything at $70 under retail. I'm saying that is what I bought it for. I got that and a couple of cheap bottles of wine for a total of $169.00.

I went Bourbon hunting and the wife asked if she could go. Had about an hour or so to kill before our reservation at Tujagues. I was checking out bourbon section at Elios and she picked up a couple bottles of wine. I didn't care for what was on the shelf. As i was paying for the wifes wine and talking about the price of bourbon (GTS), another lady walk to the back and brought the KO11 up front. My wife said that my eyes bulged out. She said $129. I mentioned it was $109 last year at specs and my said we would take it. That is when she asked me about price I purchased the GTS for and she mentioned she sold them for $89 a few weeks earlier.

Edited by ckhorn

Are "store pick single barrel" versions of stock bottles really better than the basic stock bottle?  I recently found a store pick single barrel of Buffalo Trace and it's great.  I recall stock Buffalo Trace being fine but I don't drink bourbon all the time so I usually buy higher end $50+ bottles.  But this store pick was $30 and I think it's a lot better than regular Buffalo Trace.  Am I crazy?  Did I fall for a marketing gimick?  

Also read somewhere that distillers pick barrels that closely match a consistent profile for a given bourbon.  And that store picks / private barrels are available from the ones that may be somewhat distinctive from that profile. So in addition to them being single barrels (which have natural variability) the store picks are also one more step removed from the profile.  

Which doesn’t necessarily mean better or worse but just more likely to be different