Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 hours ago, huge said:

That was 18 months ago.

Also at $115 I figure I won’t open it until I taste elsewhere and then I can use as trade bait.

Batch 1 was damn good even at $130.

Have both open. Tasted both in series. Batch 2 is much more balanced. I actually think I like it a tad more. Sue me. 

On 7/25/2018 at 12:36 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m concerned about overpowering oak tasting notes, any suggestions? 

Just taste it every few days (assume the barrel has a spout).  When I was using my small barrel I'd just save the empty bottles, taste as it aged and refill the bottles once it hit the preferred flavor.  Also, after aging a few barrels, I switched from aging whiskey to aging cocktails (mainly Manhattans) and then switched back to aging whiskey. But in the second round it was more about a seasoned barrel than the charred oak (think high west YKY from vermouth aged barrels).  Just a way to get a bit more mileage out of the barrel.  

Edited by brown water
  • Like 1

When the guy told me $115 today instead of $200 I paid up most hastily.

I likely would have passed at $200.

No clue why it was less.

Goody Goody on Highway 6 for those interested.

They’re out. Glad I grabbed mine before you let it slip.

Local shop just posted that they have E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof.  (1) Is it hard to find?  I've never seen it.  (2)  Is it worth a buy?  (3) if so, what's MSRP?  Google says about $70.  Worth it?

I hope you’ve left for that store already

44 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

I hope you’ve left for that store already

It's in the burbs.  I'll try after work.  If it's gone, I won't lose any sleep over it.  I already missed this store's Four Roses single barrel store pick release a few weeks ago.  I was more disappointed in missing that.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Local shop just posted that they have E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof.  (1) Is it hard to find?  I've never seen it.  (2)  Is it worth a buy?  (3) if so, what's MSRP?  Google says about $70.  Worth it?

Go get it and sell it to me 

Opened a bottle of Balcones Bourbon this afternoon and poured a few fingers into a glass.  After an hour or so, I took a closer look at the writing on bottle.  64.5 % proof - well that explains a lot.  I think I'll be starting the weekend off with a nap.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Opened a bottle of Balcones Bourbon this afternoon and poured a few fingers into a glass.  After an hour or so, I took a closer look at the writing on bottle.  64.5 proof - well that explains a lot.  I think I'll be starting the weekend off with a nap.

Which bottle?  The cask proof true blue?  

7 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:
Which bottle?  The cask proof true blue?  

Texas Blue Corn Bourbon. I bought a couple bottles when they were released in October.

0b196d194cce519ee95442f79099e46c.jpg

Edited by Jerry Callo
Sorry, apparently my phone only takes gigantic pictures.

15 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Opened a bottle of Balcones Bourbon this afternoon and poured a few fingers into a glass.  After an hour or so, I took a closer look at the writing on bottle.  64.5 proof - well that explains a lot.  I think I'll be starting the weekend off with a nap.

129 proof, my friend.  Nighty night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This shit is fantastic

also, KO still sitting on shelves at Specs for those looking. Think is was $100 or something, cash. Dont remember exactly. Was there to buy a few cases of Rambler

Is the Balcones tour/tasting room any good? I figure the wife can drop me off at Balcones and go wait in line for 3 hours at Magnolia Market while I sip some nice cask strength whiskey. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 hours ago, cknight said:

Costco in Lewisville had stagg jr. on the shelf for $59. I picked up a bottle but haven’t tried it yet. Did I do good or not?

I've left a Stagg Jr. bottle on the shelf at my Twin Liquor for the last three weeks and it was priced at $50.  Saw one at Costco yesterday, but didn't check the price.  Picked up an ER at the same Costco for $29.

On 7/26/2018 at 9:30 PM, huge said:

When the guy told me $115 today instead of $200 I paid up most hastily.

I likely would have passed at $200.

No clue why it was less.

Goody Goody on Highway 6 for those interested.

Really. I want to see a receipt.

I'm kidding. Beat my price.

16 hours ago, HouTex said:

Same here last week. At GG?

No -  Halls at 121 and Glade -  Mom & Pop Store with BBQ and pretty decent liquor selection.  Their prices are good for a local shop and they seem to be pretty much first come / first serve with the hard to find stuff - at MSRP  -  Which I think means they are getting into heaven ahead of SPECS, TW, and most others...

Edited by TheAuditor
OU Sucks

Apparently in most of the rickhouses, since there are five or six floors, the temp at the top during the summer are much hotter than the bottom. It was definitely cool at the bottom. So the barrels at the top expand and contract more, so they age more quickly than, for example, Scotland.

That's the claim anyway. There is a difference between American Oak and European. Because European Oak is grown at lower temperatures, the rings are much closed together and so wood is more dense, as are the various compounds that flavor the beverage. Most people think French/European Oak is better.