Bourbon

Jimbaround

4 hours ago, SnappyJack said:

I was at Deb's on 183 today. They had a bunch of their in-house Antique barrel select right by the front. Wanted $89 for a 750ml. They also had 1L bottles of the regular 107 for $50+. 

Guess I know where I'm going to swing by tomorrow. Never knew of this hidden gem.

I was at Deb's on 183 today. They had a bunch of their in-house Antique barrel select right by the front. Wanted $89 for a 750ml. They also had 1L bottles of the regular 107 for $50+. 

Weird. They were selling that same 750 OWA store pick for $70 2 weeks ago.

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They’re actually in pretty short supply right now. Not any in Houston to my knowledge. 

I think they sold pretty slowly, and most stores didn’t order more. 

Pretty sure I saw one at Specs 290 and Jones last week.

2 hours ago, huge said:

Pretty sure I saw one at Specs 290 and Jones last week.

Correct per their database. I already pulled the trigger on one online though. JV is kind of a b**** to get to right now. 

32 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/bourbon/small-batch-bourbon/knob-creek-single-barrel-reserve-120-proof-barrel-select/p/115174750

this one has shot to the top of my list, I haven't done a side by side but I feel like it could surpass OF1920

Out of stock in my area, but I’ll be looking for it. You have my attention with the could surpass 1920 comment. 

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They’re actually in pretty short supply right now. Not any in Houston to my knowledge. 

I think they sold pretty slowly, and most stores didn’t order more. 

Total Wine in sunset valley had plenty last week. Must be a Houston thing. 

Edited by 4th&Five

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/bourbon/small-batch-bourbon/knob-creek-single-barrel-reserve-120-proof-barrel-select/p/115174750

this one has shot to the top of my list, I haven't done a side by side but I feel like it could surpass OF1920

Ok, so this is something to get.  I've been seeing it but I was never a Knob fan.

1 hour ago, Jimbaround said:

Plenty of ER10 and OGD114 on the shelf at Specs on Smith St.

Yep. I bought one bottle of Eagle Rare. I'm trying to buy only Eagle Rare store picks or handles, but I was getting a little low. 

I don't get the Old Grandad 114 hype. I guess it's quality for the price. I like the Bottle in Bond better. 

Yep. I bought one bottle of Eagle Rare. I'm trying to buy only Eagle Rare store picks or handles, but I was getting a little low. 
I don't get the Old Grandad 114 hype. I guess it's quality for the price. I like the Bottle in Bond better. 

I like the higher proof of the 114 for old fashioned cocktails and manhattans. I don’t think of it as a sipper.

21 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

I like the higher proof of the 114 for old fashioned cocktails and manhattans. I don’t think of it as a sipper.

I can certainly agree with that. Allegedly the BiB has been discontinued, but I still see it everywhere. I don't think I'll miss it.

I'm drinking the leftovers from my Poor Man's Pappy vatting and watching Roman Holiday. Life is good. 

Allegedly they're won't be anymore Eagle Rare store picks for the rest of year. If your honey hole has some, I suggest picking up a few. 

I only bought one a few months back, and I wish I loaded up. 

The Spec's store picks are the same price as price as regular stuff. One of the few things they do well. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 8/16/2018 at 11:28 AM, 4th and 5 said:

Gabriel’s outlet in San Marcos is going out of business, had the Knob Creek SiBS for 40% off $46, so $28, yesterday. Bought 3 bottles.

Went to a party last night, damn near all the alcohol people brought had a Gabriel’s X% off sticker on the bottle.

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

http://i67.tinypic.com/1r2gr6.jpg

I remember it being a good Weller pour.  But the SW bottles from days past are the most memorable.

1 hour ago, thestud said:

I’m not sure how he can legally sell that to you out of a store, so I’m kinda concerned you might have gotten taken for the proverbial ride. If it is legit and you payed under $160 you did alright

It was this place and it was $200. I regret nothing. 

http://www.thehouseofbourbon.com/

40 minutes ago, thestud said:

Sampled my PMP a few nights ago and it was glorious. Going to dump it when I get home from work in the morning and put a spec’s store pick of BT in there.

Question for those of you that have done this more than me, do you rinse the barrel after emptying it or can I just immediately fill it with my next choice of brown water?

You barreled Poor Man's Pappy, interesting. I read a few disaster stories and decided to decant it instead. 

I wish I bought a Spec's store pick of Buffalo Trace. They offered it every time I was in there for months and I passed. 

For you bargain hunters, Very Old Barton is pretty good for $11.99 a bottle. The handle is $19.99. Total usually has plenty. It's a barreling candidate. I need to think about it more. 

I'm going to decant a bottle of Stagg Jr at the end of the month, I'm going to let it sit for 3 weeks. I'll let y'all know how it goes. 

Rye guys, is Old Carter available anywhere on this planet for MSRP? God Bless these geniuses: http://www.gobourbon.com/wineding-into-whiskey/

You barreled Poor Man's Pappy, interesting. I read a few disaster stories and decided to decant it instead. 
I wish I bought a Spec's store pick of Buffalo Trace. They offered it every time I was in there for months and I passed. 
For you bargain hunters, Very Old Barton is pretty good for $11.99 a bottle. The handle is $19.99. Total usually has plenty. It's a barreling candidate. I need to think about it more. 
I'm going to decant a bottle of Stagg Jr at the end of the month, I'm going to let it sit for 3 weeks. I'll let y'all know how it goes. 
Rye guys, is Old Carter available anywhere on this planet for MSRP? God Bless these geniuses: http://www.gobourbon.com/wineding-into-whiskey/

I’ve done a few batches of PMP. Just usually dont go longer than 2-3 weeks. Any longer and it begins to get a little too oaky for me.
YMMV.

It’s the same MGP 95% rye that’s used to make Bulleit (and others), it will be interesting to see what they do with it.