Bourbon

Jimbaround

Can speak from experience Twin in Kingwood is pretty meh.  If your up for a drive go to Liquor Cabinet on Mills Branch.  They've got at least 10 bottles of Harper 15 on the shelf and an ample supply of Balcones True Blue Cask Strength.  Usually a few other interesting bottles as well. I stop by frequently and that's where I've stocked up on ECBP, RY10 and M10 in the last few months.  And if you're making the trip also try Pascals on Northpark.  They've got a solid collection as well and occasionally some 4RSB private selections from other stores or restaurants.   Good luck 

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

I saw a Stagg Jr on the shelf in a store in Jersey Village, and that same store had Old Forester 1920 too.  That's as close as I've come to a unicorn lately.

1920 is everywhere. I see Stagg Jr. with frequency. I hate you assholes pulling BTAC shit off shelves though. 

2 hours ago, huge said:

can someone tell me what I am missing there on that 32 minute podcast deal?  

tldl

Derka got pissed that bl would only buy him one beer.  But derka is apparently counter podcasting with his rebuttal and tear down of immamac. f the offseason. 

3 hours ago, huge said:

can someone tell me what I am missing there on that 32 minute podcast deal?  

tldl

You can listen to it 5 minutes at a time if you want haha. It's just me and BL talking shit about a bunch of stuff and then going over some of our favorite threads, my pick this week was the Bourbon thread. 

You can listen to it 5 minutes at a time if you want haha. It's just me and BL talking shit about a bunch of stuff and then going over some of our favorite threads, my pick this week was the Bourbon thread. 

Oh hai, mr. “I don’t believe you, show me the receipt.” Damn birther.

f68e54c90bebac2c4ddf22ef60001aa7.jpg

• Like 5

I don’t ever pay more than MSRP and I open and drink all that I buy. Any idiot can go buy pappy on the secondary market and any hoarder can squirrel it away.

Getting the one allocated bottle of Birthday or Stagg takes relationships and enjoying them takes taste. That’s why I like billfromlaketravis posts on this thread. A lot of people talk about what they can buy. Bill talks about drinking it.

Brother?

I don’t ever pay more than MSRP and I open and drink all that I buy. Any idiot can go buy pappy on the secondary market and any hoarder can squirrel it away.

Getting the one allocated bottle of Birthday or Stagg takes relationships and enjoying them takes taste. That’s why I like billfromlaketravis posts on this thread. A lot of people talk about what they can buy. Bill talks about drinking it.

• Like 2

4 of those are incredible scores. and great prices too. not a fan of any of the high west products.  haven't tried their Utah whiskey, since they finally broke down and bought a still, but their blends of sourced shit is only so so, imo.  

I haven’t had much of the HW stuff, but I really like what I’ve had. And the sourcing doesn’t really bother me as long as I like it.

I haven’t cracked open the MWND yet. That’ll probably be a fall/winter bottle.

YKY came pretty highly recommended to me, so I finally gave it a shot about a month ago. The vermouth really threw me on my first taste. But I really came around on it, and I’m working on my 2nd bottle now. It’s got some of that ethanol (almost medicinal - which sounds terrible and weird, but somehow it’s not) quality that the 1920 has that I really enjoy.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I drank my George T Stagg  Christmas Eve, Birthday Bourbon on my birthday, and Handy when I started a new job in June. 

I worked with a guy that was sitting on about a half dozen Pappy bottles, and all of the Birthday Bourbons going back past 2013. 

I didn’t even ask about his BTAC bottles. He always gave me the same wussy reason for not drinking them. “Well I don’t know if I’ll be able to find more”. He stuck to drinking Eagle Rare and occasionally Blanton’s. 

I’m all for keeping one really rare bottle for a special occasion, but life is short gentlemen. Enjoy it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Horn21 said:

I haven’t had much of the HW stuff, but I really like what I’ve had. And the sourcing doesn’t really bother me as long as I like it.

I haven’t cracked open the MWND yet. That’ll probably be a fall/winter bottle.

YKY came pretty highly recommended to me, so I finally gave it a shot about a month ago. The vermouth really threw me on my first taste. But I really came around on it, and I’m working on my 2nd bottle now. It’s got some of that ethanol (almost medicinal - which sounds terrible and weird, but somehow it’s not) quality that the 1920 has that I really enjoy.

I’ll have a lot of trouble paying $65+ for YKY again. Bourye is the same price, and much better, but it’s still a stretch for me. 

Im not sure if High West is going to bring back their only well priced option, Son of Bourye. 

That’s fair. I guess officially it’s separate and PVW contracts with Buffalo Trace. I just tend to view it as Buffalo Trace product since it’s been that way awhile.

But my point all along has been good bourbon is good bourbon. If there’s transparency, who cares about sourcing. Like what you like. Drink what you want.

That’s fair. I guess officially it’s separate and PVW contracts with Buffalo Trace. I just tend to view it as Buffalo Trace product since it’s been that way awhile.

But my point all along has been good bourbon is good bourbon. If there’s transparency, who cares about sourcing. Like what you like. Drink what you want.

I completely agree, and that’s my point. I don’t even care about transparency much further than seeing to it that you know it’s not a counterfeit label and taxes are paid; craft authenticity is the fetish of hipsters and I am not that.

Distillation and aging, like brewing, are optimally done at a certain scale by masters, so “Sourcing” shouldn’t have any stigma at all.
  • Like 1