Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I always try something new neat. But with this heat, not a god damn thing wrong with an ice ball. F the haters.
Life’s too short to judge how others drink bourbon.

Just jazzing you buddy. Four Grain is awesome. I killed the last bottle at Whiskey Cake in Katy. If I lived out there, I'd be in there Friday -Sunday. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'll probably do a Poor Man's Pappy soon, so it can sit for a month before USC. 

The most intriguing experiment is Stagg Jr. I've thought about about opening it up, barreling it, or decanting it. 

The BFLT Distillery.

12 hours ago, ckhorn said:

The BFLT Distillery.

I can't think of cooler business to start. 

In all fairness to Balcones, I couldn't in good conscience start it in Texas. There's just something about Kentucky that makes it special. It's like the pizza in New York City. 

It's fun to experiment though, Pappy Van Winkle ain't walking through the door anytime soon. 

People that I think have a good nose: 

Gary Blackwell in San Francisco 

The Nasa Liquor Guy in Greater Houston (he's tied to some of the better bourbon picks around town) 

Deb's in Austin

Whiskey Jug 

Whiskey Blooded on YouTube 

I wish Spec's encouraged the store picks like Goody Goody. I can only think of one store that does it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Went hunting and saw KC cask strength rye for $70

Thoughts?

After going home and reading reviews, I went back and picked up a bottle. As I will never get Booker Rye, b/t this and my barrel strength Michters Rye, I figure I must have 2 of the premium ryes on the market in my possession now.

e7f8a5b3f9594e22a550b5739522912a.jpg

On 8/4/2018 at 4:49 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Under $30 bourbons and ryes.  (Note:  I never see Weller 12 or OWA under $30 anymore out here, so they don't qualify for me.)  I like all of them and it's difficult for me to come up with a ranking.  But here goes anyway . . .

Evan Williams SB

Henry McKenna SB BiB

Elijah Craig small batch

Eagle Rare 10

OGD 114

Knob Creek

Buffalo Trace

The only ones I buy any more are:

OGD Bonded and 114

McKenna BiB

Larceny

Overholt Bonded (sorry its rye)

Of course W12 and Antique when you can find them.

2 hours ago, thestud said:

Anyone had the Corazon tequila rested in BT barrels? Just picked up the Anejo rested in Sazerac Rye.

I too have the one in ORVW bottles.  very good.  the store i got it from has it in GTS and THH bottles.  Part of me wants to grab those too... but hot damn that is a lot of tequila to stock in the house.

12 hours ago, Bud Davis said:

Can't help with a store, but spent Friday evening at Big Star. Hard to beat drinking Pappy across the street from Wrigley. Great selection and fair prices.

my wife and daughter are out of town this coming weekend, and i'm debating going to the cubs game saturday afternoon or day drinking at the Big Star in Wicker Park since its really close by...

5 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Any good stores in Kansas City? 

Lucas Liquor on the Missouri side. They have a pretty good selection. I won first chance at a bottle of Lot B through their lottery a couple years ago. $60

They have several locations but I have only used the south store.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mbpcb said:

my wife and daughter are out of town this coming weekend, and i'm debating going to the cubs game saturday afternoon or day drinking at the Big Star in Wicker Park since its really close by...

You can do both. The Wrigley location is right there.

9 hours ago, Pablo said:

Went to Sunny's in the H tonight.

Weller Reserve - $59

ER10 - $79

4R SiB - $79

Stagg Jr - $79

KO - $299

went over to Richard's and grabbed a Henry McKenna BiB for $32

I dont think I am ever going to go in their again.  For my health mainly.  He doesnt run the AC and my blood boils over the prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

I dont think I am ever going to go in their again.  For my health mainly.  He doesnt run the AC and my blood boils over the prices.

That's the last time I visit him also, those prices were high af.

Going to check out Houston Wine Merchant on my next expedition. 

Interested in that Whisky lottery they run.

Can't help with a store, but spent Friday evening at Big Star. Hard to beat drinking Pappy across the street from Wrigley. Great selection and fair prices.

What’s reasonable for Pappy?

I’m going to a whiskey dinner with the Michter’s guys tonight. I’ll ask about Celebration.

5 hours ago, Pablo said:

That's the last time I visit him also, those prices were high af.

Going to check out Houston Wine Merchant on my next expedition. 

Interested in that Whisky lottery they run.

Please report back on your findings. Last time I was there, their bourbon offerings were quite meager. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Was Richards better before Spec’s acquired them? I can’t imagine them being much worse. 

i didn't know Spec's acquired them. 

Their selection hasn't been great, although I did find some ER10 there recently.

I won't be wasting my time there anymore.

7 minutes ago, Pablo said:

i didn't know Spec's acquired them. 

Their selection hasn't been great, although I did find some ER10 there recently.

I won't be wasting my time there anymore.

They’re listed as locations on Spec’s website. 

It’ been awhile, but it seems like Richard’s was once really high end.